ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well in just a few hours we will be checking out. I can't seem to sleep tonight. Guess I want to experience the Poly for as long as I can.

We went to Epcot tonight to watch Illuminations for the last time. I don't know if it's because the parks are so busy or because they have been having monorail issues all week but man oh man they were stuffing the cars full to get us out of there. There were, no lie, 24 people in our car including me in a wheelchair. I now know how a sardine feels LOL.

I have taken a lot of pictures and as soon as I can figure out how to post them I will. I have to try to get pics of the lounge in the morning. I kept forgetting my camera or when I had it there were too many people there to get good pictures. For the first time ever I went up to the third floor. It is really pretty up there.

Has Mauna Kea opened up again yet? I believe Tikiman mentioned they were setting it up again but I wasn't sure if it was completed and ready yet.

All 3 cabanas are up. The big one off by the marina appears to be open & ready for use. We didn't venture over that far during the day. We just saw it all closed up in the evening.

Rapa Nui (spelling?) has signs outside it's doors to please pardon our mess or what not. We were able to walk through it. It was blistering hot out today and cut through the long houses to get to the ticket & transportation center. We also saw the outside of the DVC test room. Those colors are very bold & bright. They were pretty but it might be a bit much if the entire hall is those colors.

I just took pictures of all three cabanas. I think they changed the name of the large cabana because that is not the name that is on it. The other two don't have names on them yet.

Well I do believe the cleaning people think I am loonier than a toon. I just spent the last hour walking around the resort getting pictures. Some may be a little dark since it was 2:30 AM when I took them but you can see what I was trying to get. There are a few I have to wait until morning to retake. I got a lot of pictures of things people want to know about that are hard to get during the day because of the amount of people. I took pictures of the lounge but haven't gotten one with everything set out. It has been crazy busy in there. There was an actual line today for appetizers. I am going to go up there exactly at 7 in the morning and see if I can sneak in a few shots before it gets busy. Today's appetizers were great. They had bbq pork on a skewer, spring rolls,fruits, crackers, cheeses, pineapple with caramel sauce, and salad with a wonderful dressing. They also have this orange sangria that is soooo yummy. I hardly ever drink but I did have a couple of glasses of that over the past week.

You know what I can't figure out is why people come to Disney and get totally plastered. We always seem to run into them at Epcot. Tonight trying to leave the park this guy was staggering around being held up by what looked like his two daughters. He slammed into my wheelchair twice and I nicely said excuse me. the third time I actually pushed him away because I was afraid he was going to fall backwards onto me and the chair. I again said excuse me when I did it, He looked at me and said something nasty to which I answered maybe if you didn't get drunk in Disney people would not have to say anything to you. He didn't answer and I just went on my way. I guess I just don't understand what the fun is in it. You pay so much to come here and your not going to remember most of an evening because you got drunk. Makes no sense to me. I have also found most of the ones I have come across to be belligerent

All 3 cabanas are up. The big one off by the marina appears to be open & ready for use. We didn't venture over that far during the day. We just saw it all closed up in the evening.

Rapa Nui (spelling?) has signs outside it's doors to please pardon our mess or what not. We were able to walk through it. It was blistering hot out today and cut through the long houses to get to the ticket & transportation center. We also saw the outside of the DVC test room. Those colors are very bold & bright. They were pretty but it might be a bit much if the entire hall is those colors.

Weird that they are testing the rooms and colors in that longhouse when it is supposed to be Tahiti that is going DVC. Originally Rapa Nui was part of the DVC plan but I think I remember it was supposed to be torn down to make room for the 5 story T building for DVC. They supposedly scrapped that idea. I will have to wander over there later this morning before we check out.

Well we are just about packed and ready to check out ....pout..... I have a couple more pictures to take before we leave. I will set back up when we get to Portofino Bay.

You know what I can't figure out is why people come to Disney and get totally plastered. We always seem to run into them at Epcot. Tonight trying to leave the park this guy was staggering around being held up by what looked like his two daughters. He slammed into my wheelchair twice and I nicely said excuse me. the third time I actually pushed him away because I was afraid he was going to fall backwards onto me and the chair. I again said excuse me when I did it, He looked at me and said something nasty to which I answered maybe if you didn't get drunk in Disney people would not have to say anything to you. He didn't answer and I just went on my way. I guess I just don't understand what the fun is in it. You pay so much to come here and your not going to remember most of an evening because you got drunk. Makes no sense to me. I have also found most of the ones I have come across to be belligerent

I agree - seems like a strange way to "have fun" :confused3 We made the mistake of going to Epcot on a food and wine weekend night a few years ago. There were so many drunks - it was ridiculous :sad2:

Which cabana faced the lagoon / MK or has a better view of it? We have one rented for next month! Can't wait!!

I don't get the drink thing either it ones of the reasons we decided no more F&W for us! We like to get cocktails around the world but we know out limit & I wouldn't want to ride, eat or walk around like that, that would be miserable!

Sept 2013 Poly, 2012 Disney Fantasy, BC CL, GF CL, POR, 2011 Poly CL, CR, Poly CL, AKL, 2010 Poly CL, ASMu 2009, SSR 2008, Pop 2006, POR , Asmo 2005, Asmo 2003, offsite 2000, 1999,1989, Poly 1980, offsite 1979

Just curious why they would give you this offer? Are they overbooked at the Poly? I wouldn't have changed to the GF either.

They have been calling many ppl with this offer for the week of 9/15!

Sept 2013 Poly, 2012 Disney Fantasy, BC CL, GF CL, POR, 2011 Poly CL, CR, Poly CL, AKL, 2010 Poly CL, ASMu 2009, SSR 2008, Pop 2006, POR , Asmo 2005, Asmo 2003, offsite 2000, 1999,1989, Poly 1980, offsite 1979

Which cabana faced the lagoon / MK or has a better view of it? We have one rented for next month! Can't wait!!

I don't get the drink thing either it ones of the reasons we decided no more F&W for us! We like to get cocktails around the world but we know out limit & I wouldn't want to ride, eat or walk around like that, that would be miserable!

We too noticed a LOT more drunk people than normal. When my kids were doing pick-a-pearl in Japan, there was a large group there and half of them were obnoxiously drunk. And it irrationally irritated me to see alcohol for sale at DAK. Don't get me wrong, I like a drink now and then and especially while on vacation - but not at a Disney park. It just seems wrong to me. Dh was dealing with a dining plan issue from BOG with Guest Services at the Poly and the CM was telling him that a lot of CMs are angry that alcohol is now being served at the other parks.

I have taken a lot of pictures and as soon as I can figure out how to post them I will. I have to try to get pics of the lounge in the morning. I kept forgetting my camera or when I had it there were too many people there to get good pictures. For the first time ever I went up to the third floor. It is really pretty up there.

Thanks for taking pics.....I can't wait to see all of them :goodvibes.

I can't figure it out either :sad2:.

Well we are just about packed and ready to check out ....pout..... I have a couple more pictures to take before we leave. I will set back up when we get to Portofino Bay.

Have fun at Universal.....it will be December and you will back to the Poly before you know it ::yes::.

I agree - seems like a strange way to "have fun" :confused3 We made the mistake of going to Epcot on a food and wine weekend night a few years ago. There were so many drunks - it was ridiculous :sad2:

Last year at F&W we were going in the IG at rope drop. We saw a high heeled shoe sitting on top of the trash can. We spent the rest of the day making up stories to go with the shoe. First, who wears 4 inch heels to Disney, and then what happened? :confused3 :rotfl2:

Thanks for letting me know about the cabanas! We have rented the regular cabana in the past. Then in May we rented a regular cabana again but Mauna Kea was not up so they upgraded us to the large one. I was skeptical at first because I like the location of the regular cabana as you can keep an eye on your kids at the pool. But the large cabana does have the beach access and view of the lagoon. I would not pay for the larger cabana though because you cannot see the pool as well and even with the ropes many people think the area is public. I'm glad to hear the regular cabanas are both up. Because I have one reserved for my birthday trip!!

I look forward to seeing the pics! Enjoy Portofino Bay, we had a great experience there!

If Epcot did not serve alcohol, my husband would not go to WDW. And frankly I wouldn't want to go to a 'kiddie' place either. We enjoy MK a lot and all the parks but it is nice to round out a vacation with stuff we all enjoy (which includes beer ;)). We love that we can both have a drink since neither of us has to drive. I have seen the occasional person who appears a bit too intoxicated but having a severely mentally disabled brother, I know that may not be the cause. I do like to chat with folks though so I'm the one always trying to figure out what's up. I have met folks drinking around the world and they are having fun. Alcohol use by others does not impede my enjoyment since I like to find the joy in my vacation within myself. I did however come across a vomit pile at Epcot once which really surprised me since Disney is so clean - but that was cleaned up really quick!

Last year at F&W we were going in the IG at rope drop. We saw a high heeled shoe sitting on top of the trash can. We spent the rest of the day making up stories to go with the shoe. First, who wears 4 inch heels to Disney, and then what happened? :confused3 :rotfl2:

That is a hoot! I'm thinking they realized really quickly that a four inch heel needs to go into the trash at Epcot! But just one shoe? Even funnier!

Tikiman is reporting on his FB page that construction walls will start to go up September 7th :sad2:

I might be in the minority, but I enjoy having a couple of drinks on vacation. Now, I am hardly upset when we're in the MK and i can't get a drink. No big deal. But one of my favorite things to do is go to the World Showcase, stroll around for a couple hours, get a drink from a couple different countries while doing so.

Now, I get nowhere near drunk. Not even close! I definitely don't get having so much to drink that family members have to hold you up as you stagger around. That's terrible anywhere, but especially ridiculous at Disney. What's the point?

I might be in the minority, but I enjoy having a couple of drinks on vacation. Now, I am hardly upset when we're in the MK and i can't get a drink. No big deal. But one of my favorite things to do is go to the World Showcase, stroll around for a couple hours, get a drink from a couple different countries while doing so.

Now, I get nowhere near drunk. Not even close! I definitely don't get having so much to drink that family members have to hold you up as you stagger around. That's terrible anywhere, but especially ridiculous at Disney. What's the point?

I'm the same. I hardly drink normally, and when I do it's not much....two drinks usually is enough for me. I know my limits. If I go beyond two drinks, I know that I will get a headache and wish I had never picked the drink up.

When on vacation, I do have a couple of drinks, especially in world showcase, or wine with a nice dinner, however, I tend to limit my drinking even more at Disney simply because a headache and not feeling good does not go well at all with the rides, lol! :sick:

And I certainly don't want to waste time sleeping off a hangover! :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter