• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Almost time + Rider Switch

dadofnicholas

Mouseketeer
We're arriving next Monday!

I'm pretty excited to bring my son back to Disneyland - he's a pro by now at 7.5 yo. I'm really excited to bring my daughter for the first time now that she's 2.5 yo. But I'm most excited to bring my parents who last visited Disneyland over 30 years ago when I was a preteen :)

I've always gone to Disneyland as one adult so never thought about rider switch. Then I started thinking - there are 3 adults and 2 kids this time around - one child can go on all rides and one cannot go on certain rides.

I understand how the rider switch works. Just need to read up on how to pair that up with fast passes and maximize our ride experience :)

With the rider switch, appreciating my parents may not want to experience certain rides twice, I see one of them looking after my daughter while the other tags along with me and my son. With the rider switch, they can swap and the other can join my son and I for round 2. They could both also go with my son while I stayed with my daughter, etc.

With the fast pass, my brain starts to hurt :) 1, 2, or 3 fast passes at once? Depends on how many want to ride a certain ride at once? Rides should be also nearby given the window of time. I've read a lot about when there's two adults - just need to crystallize our options with three adults :)

Seems like you have an idea of what you want and it's not so much a question, but here's my thoughts.

So you have 4 tickets, one for each adult and one for your son. You could get 4 FPs for any one ride, or you could get 2 for one ride and 2 for another. This would allow you and your son to ride with the FP and then both of your parents to ride with your son with the rider swap pass. You would be able to snag twice as many FPs. However, the FP times are enforced, so this isn't as much of an advantage as it could be. The rider swap passes are good for the whole day though, so it could work for you depending on what the return times are for the rides you want to pull. It will come down to preference.

I would definitely ask your parents about what they want to ride and re-ride and what they don't. My mother enjoys the thrill rides (except Screamin' LOL), but she also enjoyed being the non-rider and spending time with our DD when she was one. Make sure you have plenty of time to spend all together. Separating in the parks can sometimes be "sad." It's nice to all be together. That being said, perhaps Grandpa wouldn't mind taking your son for a few hours of thrill ride time while you and your mom stay with your little girl and do things at her pace, or see princesses etc.

Thanks for confirming and the extra info. Yes, we'll have a lot of time together as a whole - most of the rides are any-height rides as this is my daughter's first trip. It's the odd height-restricted rides where we should have a plan - granted there are several that I'm 100% sure my parents will not want to try as they are not thrill seekers. For 70 year-olds they may have busy social lives and are as active as 40 year-olds but I'm pretty sure I inherited my motion sickness from them. Thanks again! PS - I have a feeling my daughter will not gravitate towards the princesses but still would be fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter