Almost tall enough to ride

jiffypop

Earning My Ears
We are anxiously awaiting our Disney trip in less than two weeks and I have a somewhat controversial question, I guess. My son is 39 1/2 inches tall . . .he has been looking forward to riding Big Thunder and Splash Mountain, both of which you need to be 40 inches tall to ride. Has anyone ever purchased anything to insert into a child's shoes to make them a bit taller? I would not even consider doing this if he were not so close to the necessary height.
Thanks for any advice.

I've never put anything in his shoes however...
we took my DS4 in his cowboy boots last trip so he would be 44 for Space Mountain and Everest. So just go through his closet and see which shoes give him enough "lift".

I am assuming he is 39 1/2" with shoes on? Please keep in mind that the height restrictions are in place for a reason. I know that 1/2" doesn't seem like a big deal, but if it wasn't, the height requirement would be 39 1/2", not 40" to ride. It isn't worth risking your child's safety for a couple minutes of enjoyment.

What I do suggest:

Have your son practice at home standing up straight -kids have a tendency to slouch or not stand up straight when being measured on a ride. Also, if he ends up growing to that 40" mark -ride those attractions first thing in the morning, as we do tend to all shrink a little during the day.

Lastly, keep in mind CM's are looking for kids wearing big shoes, having things in their shoes, standing on their tippy toes, etc. They don't always catch it, but sometimes they will. Disney is very strict about height requirements, and CM's have to be very careful about observing these things. Many rides will in fact have 2 separate measuring points as well, and if either one says the child isn't tall enough, the child cannot ride.

when my son was 3 he missed splash mtn by 1/2 the cm told him to eat his veggies and come back soon. well for the 7 months between those trips he ate more veggies than i ever thought possible.:rotfl: and on the next trip he was even more excited. so its not that big a deal there is so much to do there and if he doesnt make it it will make the next trip that much more exciting.

when my son was 3 he missed splash mtn by 1/2 the cm told him to eat his veggies and come back soon. well for the 7 months between those trips he ate more veggies than i ever thought possible.:rotfl: and on the next trip he was even more excited. so its not that big a deal there is so much to do there and if he doesnt make it it will make the next trip that much more exciting.

Our experience was very similar. My youngest DS was 1/4 inch too short, and he wasn't allowed to ride. He insisted on asking and being measured at almost every ride, and he was repeatedly turned away. He understood he probably would be too short, but he wanted to ask "just in case".

Thanks. I don't want to do anything unsafe and do understand that the rules are in place for a reason. Maybe he'll have a growth spurt in the next two weeks.

Thanks. I don't want to do anything unsafe and do understand that the rules are in place for a reason. Maybe he'll have a growth spurt in the next two weeks.

My 3yo just grew half an inch in 3 weeks. There's hope!

Try the rides in the morning- we "shrink" throughout the day. I believe adults can actually lose up to an inch from when they wake up to when they sleep!

I would never put anything in my children's shoes to make them taller in order to be tall enough to go on a ride. There are reasons there are height restrictions on the rides. Making them taller (by putting things in their shoes, having taller shoes, etc) to me is putting my child at risk and I would never do that.

The one ride DD was close to the cut off she was given an arm band to alert the other CMs she was tall enough (this is what the CM who put the arm band on her told us). Any of the others she was measured for their was no question she was tall enough for (she loved standing in front of the measuring stick getting measured).

She said she wanted to go on EE with DH. She absolutely love Test Track. She wanted to go on it again and again.

That is hilarious!!!

We are hoping that DS has a big growth spurt before our next trip. He is on the lower end of the percentile chart, both in weight and height. I'm no so sure he'll be 40 inches at 4 years of age, be we're hoping!

If not, we will just make the best of the trip like we have the two times with kids before. :upsidedow

My son really wanted to ride Indy at Disneyland a trip ago and was going to be real close.

We bought a new pair of tennis shoes right before the trip.

I also build our own measuring stick and we practiced standing tall.

He was about exactly 46 inchs when we went.

He was measured at least twice everytime we rode Indy ( It's amazing how they can eyeball someone that is iffy)

He passed everytime.... although occasionally it would take them up to a minute to determine if he was tall enough.

I do think the practice taught him to slowly rise his heels to hit his head on the measuring stick although I could never see him do it.

1/2 inch is a lot and I don't think you can do anything to make up that amount.

We were consistently measuring my son at home with his sneakers on at just a hair short of 40" before our last trip. I went to Walmart and bought him new spider man sneakers that had a thicker soul. His regular sneakers have a very thin soul and I figured every other kid there would have sneakers similar to the ones I bought (they were normal shoes, not something like platform sneakers). With those shoes on, all our practice of standing up straight and hitting the rides in the morning, he made it onto every one.

Take this with a grain of salt, but if you are comfortable with it, you may be able to get on the rides when he is that close without even measuring. My son was literally right at 40" and we were NEVER stopped the week we were there on all the 40" rides. My DS is only 2 1/2 so he didn't even really look old enough. We just walked into the queu with no hesitation and told him to walk and stand up straight. I think red flags are if you hesitate at the entrance and/or carry the child. I know this may not happen to you, but we were really surprised. The only rides he got measured on were Barnstormer (where he was clearly tall enough 35" requirement) and Star Tours.

If he is 39 1/2" in bare feet, he should just make it with a thick soled sneaker.

I wanted to offer a warning however so you and your child can be prepared. Not all rides at WDW measure 40" the same. On our first trip, DD was about 39 1/2" or so in bare feet but measured 40" with sneakers on. She was allowed on some rides (like BTMRR) but was refused on others (Star Tours). In fact, since I knew she was so close, I had her measured before we got into line for the rides. The CM at the front of Star Tours said ok. We went the whole way through and the CM loading into the cars measured and refused her. I am not sure how she shrunk walking through the queue. I knew going in that she was borderline so I explained to her ahead of time that some rides she would be tall enough for and some she wouldn't.

Good luck!

We measured DD at home several times before our trip and knew she would be close. We told her that she probably would not be able to ride, but we would let her measure at the lines just to check. That way she wouldn't be disappointed because she was expecting that she would not be able to ride. She wound up getting on all of the 40" rides at all the parks and her head was definitely above the line. She was wearing a well-worn pair of airwalks (the crocs style), so no thick soles to make up the difference. She went to the doctor's 2 weeks after we got home and they claim she was only 39.5".

Maybe your measurements will be off from Disney's, but I would tell your son that he probably won't be able to ride. That way he can get over his disappointment now, and he'll be pleasantly surprised if he makes it on when you're there.

It is true - we ARE taller in the morning!! So that would be the best time to get on any rides where you think height may be an issue. I would also try some thicker soled tennis shoes to gain a little bit of height.

Hope for the best but plan for the fact he/she may not measure up. Don't give up if they measure short at test track, definately try again at say splash mtn. I have found the measurements can vary greatly.

We have had several trips with kids close to one of the cut off points, 40, 44 or 48" so I know its tough. Regular but slightly thicker soled sneakers are ok but I have seen CM's ask for obviously thick soled shoes to be removed.

Ask the child to practice standing straight - kids tend to naturally shy away from the stick, esp since it looks as if it's going to whack them in the face! Tell them to stand straight (no tippies) and stop that stick!

Be prepared for the possibility that even if he/she measures up at the entrance a 2nd CM may measure at boarding. If they don't measure at boarding they don't ride - this has happened to us a few times and it's tough. We have also had my dd measure tall enough for Space Mtn the first few days of the trip and suddenly "shrink" on the third day.

Have a backup plan in case you are denied, hit a favorite ride again, share an ice cream or indulge him/her in an extra run down the pool slide later in the day.

The CM's have visual guides that they can look at to spot boarderline guests. I know at a local park the queue railings are the same height as the height restriction so its easy to watch the line and decide if anyone needs to be measured. I don't know what the visual cues are at WDW but I have been told by a CM that they exist.

Remember that the height restricted rides are a small % of the overall Disney experience. Even a child under 40" will be able to do most of what is offered :)

TJ

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I know we'll have a good time, regardless, but DS really is a little thrill-seeker. We're practicing standing up straight in a new pair of shoes, which seem to put him at 40 inches tall. He's doing a good job eating his veggies, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter