Ally's Great Make-A-Wish Trip Report Updated 11/9

Momof2wCF

Mouseketeer
This is really really late, so it's kind of an intro to my TR. *cough*:blush:
My DD (8) has been granted her wish to come to WDW in October by the MaW people, who are WONDERFUL. :goodvibes They are setting everything up, and are even trying to get enteral pumps for them to use at the Give Kids the World resort so we won't have to pack ours. (My DD and DS both have cystic fibrosis and gastrostomy tubes) My DMom and DDad have decided to plan their vacation so they can be with us at WDW and that way if DS has stamina issues or just is feeling badly, they can stay with him and Ally will be able to keep up her adventure. (just :love: my parents!!)
So, here are the plans so far:

Staying at the Oak Leaf Plantation by GKTW:
DDad and DMom (young at heart)

Staying at GKTW:
DH Ronan(43)
me (38)
DS Logan(17)
DD Ally (8)
All first-timers to WDW but many times to DL::MickeyMo

Leaving Portland OR on Oct. 21st, coming home Oct. 27th
No ADRs, because DH will do better with looser plans. ::yes:: (ie no rushing b/c we're late and have to travel halfway around the World):rolleyes1
I'm thinking we'll go to Epcot the 1st day, because that's the one she's most excited about. Animal Kingdom on Day 2. My parents wanted to take the kids to Discovery Cove and they are paying for all of us to go on the Wednesday of our trip. That is going to be SOO cool! :cool1: Thursday, Day 3 we'll go to IoA and possibly US if we're up to it.. Friday Day 4 will be MGM and the MK. (we just went to DL in Feb, so hopefully we won't be too sad missing most of MK) :sad2:
Because of DS and DD's illness, we are getting wheelchairs for both of them. I was afraid that would be overkill, but I'd rather not have them go in the hospital when we get home, and they will need the energy they save by not walking everywhere just to get through the week. I will do my best to pace them, but I know from going to DL that they both want to go commando and see EVERYTHING even if it wipes them out.:hyper: :faint: :rotfl2:
So, we are REALLY excited, and I hope to be able to figure out how to post pix when I come back, b/c I love TRs with lots of pictures!!!:thumbsup2

Welcome to the world of MAW and WDW. Can't wait to here your version of the tale. Karen

Hi, great installment!! What is Ally looking most forward to seeing? Can't wait to read more popcorn::.

Welcome to the world of MAW and WDW. Can't wait to here your version of the tale. Karen
Thanks Karen, I'll be sure to post sooner on my TR than my Pre-trippie.:rolleyes1
Hi, great installment!! What is Ally looking most forward to seeing? Can't wait to read more
:welcome: Tracy! Lovin your pre-trippie, need to sub and stop lurking!!popcorn:: Ally is thrilled about EVERYTHING, but she's a science/geography freak, so Epcot is her choice for our first day.:woohoo: We're all big dorks, so the Land and the shows will thrill us as much as the *big rides*.:3dglasses She was bummed SSE was closed, but she recovered quickly.:rolleyes:
Yae! You have started. This will be fun. Can't wait to hear ALL the details too.
Thanks Jill! It's EARLY here, but we leave today, and I couldn't sleep.:cool1: DH will get crabby if I wake him up by finishing the packing, so I HAD to come DIS:rotfl:

I am also new to this site, and LOVING IT!! Your thread caught my attention and I felt I had to post.

DH and I are planning our first trip to DW for our son. BUT, I have been to DW once before (with Make a wish)

When I was 16 (I am 34 now)I was granted a wish to DW and I will say it was the most AMAZING trip of my life. My parents, 2 sisters and my best friend went with me and we also stayed at GKTW! I have looked at recent pictures of GKTW and it doesn't even look like the same place (and it was cool even back then) :cool1:

Your family will love everything about the trip, all the "extras" are so nice and makes the trip even more special. I can not wait to hear about your trip when you get back~enjoy!

Our grand adventure started with us driving to Portland (about 2 hours away) on Saturday. :cool1:
It was raining, but we saw at least three rainbows on the way.
100_4066.jpg

Make-a-Wish arranged for us to stay at the Sheraton by the airport because our flight was at 6 am(!) on Sunday. That was good, because I got to do the in/out dance of forgetfulness without TOO much pressure..just the family sighing in the car, no missed flight threats.:rolleyes1
We made a side trip to Sonic :goodvibes for my first cheeseburger in months (trying to lose weight before the trip)
:offtopic: I lost 12 pounds! Yay for Mom! I’ll let you know later if I gained it all back on the trip.:rolleyes: Okay, back on track..
On the way, DH saw Malibu Grand Prix, which is a go-cart course for *ahem* grown men, and wanted to try it with DS.
100_4074.jpg

gocarts.jpg

They both spun off the course at different times, which made it way more fun for DD and I than we had expected.(It was a Supportive Point and Laugh):rotfl2:
100_4083.jpg

Finally we got to the hotel and checked in. Yay! It’s really going to happen now! Wren at the counter was very sweet, and we got a “preferred” room, which was very cool. (Chocolates on the nightstand!!)
chocolates.jpg

Sunday morning 3 am came very quickly. Fortunately everyone woke up happy. (Mom got coffee) :coffee: We left the hotel on time (first miracle of the trip) We are on our way!!!
atairport.jpg

airport.jpg

Portland Airport is pretty quiet at that time of morning. UNTIL you reach baggage check-in. Oops, big suitcase is overweight at 54#, oh well easy fix. Good thing family isn’t easily embarrassed...Off to security. We then discover DH driver’s license expired on his birthday. LAST MONTH!! :scared1: This red-flags him immediately, and he is sent to the suspicious characters’ line, which is where I would send him too, if I was in security. ::yes:: I swap bags with him, because he has the nebulizer and the enteral pump and all the meds in his carry-on, and I’m figuring that would be 2 strikes against him, too spooky! Halfway through our *innocent citizen* line:angel: , we discover the security guy red-flagged DS boarding pass instead of DH, causing DS to have to hop the line over to the *suspicious characters* line. :headache:
So in classic cliffhanger style...
WILL we make it through security in time? WILL they lock up DH and throw away the key? WILL DH have a panic attack, since this is his first time flying *EVER*?

We need more!! I found you but now I want more :surfweb: :banana: . Great start!! The security check in can be a turn off for the most seasoned traveller so I can imagine this was not fun for DH...

Our grand adventure started with us driving to Portland (about 2 hours away) on Saturday. :cool1:
It was raining, but we saw at least three rainbows on the way.
100_4066.jpg

What a great sign of good things to come :thumbsup2.

Make-a-Wish arranged for us to stay at the Sheraton by the airport because our flight was at 6 am(!) on Sunday. That was good, because I got to do the in/out dance of forgetfulness without TOO much pressure..just the family sighing in the car, no missed flight threats.:rolleyes1

We always stay at a hotel right by the airport the night before, I understand about the "too much pressure" and worrying about a missed flight.

We made a side trip to Sonic :goodvibes for my first cheeseburger in months (trying to lose weight before the trip)
:offtopic: I lost 12 pounds! Yay for Mom! I’ll let you know later if I gained it all back on the trip.:rolleyes: Okay, back on track..

Good for you!!

On the way, DH saw Malibu Grand Prix, which is a go-cart course for *ahem* grown men, and wanted to try it with DS.
100_4074.jpg

gocarts.jpg

They both spun off the course at different times, which made it way more fun for DD and I than we had expected.(It was a Supportive Point and Laugh):rotfl2:

I love the "supportive point and laugh" comment :rotfl:.

airport.jpg

Your children are adorable!!!

Portland Airport is pretty quiet at that time of morning. UNTIL you reach baggage check-in. Oops, big suitcase is overweight at 54#, oh well easy fix.

I worry about one of the suitcases being overweight, what do they do to you? What is the solution? I am panicking :scared1: :laughing:.

Good thing family isn’t easily embarrassed...Off to security. We then discover DH driver’s license expired on his birthday. LAST MONTH!! :scared1: This red-flags him immediately, and he is sent to the suspicious characters’ line, which is where I would send him too, if I was in security. ::yes:: I swap bags with him, because he has the nebulizer and the enteral pump and all the meds in his carry-on, and I’m figuring that would be 2 strikes against him, too spooky! Halfway through our *innocent citizen* line:angel: , we discover the security guy red-flagged DS boarding pass instead of DH, causing DS to have to hop the line over to the *suspicious characters* line. :headache:
So in classic cliffhanger style...
WILL we make it through security in time? WILL they lock up DH and throw away the key? WILL DH have a panic attack, since this is his first time flying *EVER*?

Wow, you have 2 suspicious characters in your family, :rotfl2:. I hope it wasn't a full pat down and no gloves were involved :lmao:.

Great cliffhanger, I can't wait to read more popcorn::.

I worry about one of the suitcases being overweight, what do they do to you? What is the solution? I am panicking
:rotfl2: No worries,Tracy, they just make you open it off to the side and put the extra weight in a suitcase that *ahem* has room. :rolleyes1 Not a problem unless your extra undies or bra happen to be on top. Then people around you point and laugh. And not supportively, either.:laughing:

As DD and I get through security, the suspicious characters’ line is barely moving. TSA does do extra testing on the kids’ nebulizer and enteral pump, but it’s a quick extra, and we are through the line with a “havaniceday”.:rolleyes: DH and DS meanwhile, are still being checked out. Fortunately I have seen no patdowns or rubber hoses.:scared: When DD and I walk up to the safe end of the suspicious character line, DH and DS are joking with the TSA guy who is a nice guy, but still carefully swabbing everything in my innocent bag that is now unpacked in bins everywhere. :eek: Thankfully, he lets ME put the bag back together, as DH would never have gotten it all in there,:headache: and we are done and through security with 40 minutes to go before flight.
The Continental attendant at the gate notices our MaW button, and asks DD name. Ten minutes later, we are called as the first to board, because ‘the pilot wants to meet Ally’. :cool2:
100_4095Small.jpg

Ally not only gets to meet the pilot and copilot, she gets to sit in the copilot’s seat and wear his hat (brave man!) and hang out with the pilot for about 10 minutes. Very very cool!:hug:
100_4096Small.jpg

100_4099Small.jpg

The pilot says she can keep the copilot’s hat, but we don’t want to cause problems in the cockpit, so we leave it for him to wear.:rotfl2:
As we are landing in Houston, the flight attendant announces that they all hope their friend Ally has a great time in Orlando. There are stars in Ally’s eyes.:cloud9:
We have an hour’s delay in Houston, which is good because now we can eat lunch! Yay! Then it’s off to Orlando and the GKTW greeter!
100_4112Small.jpg

Our greeter meets us at the first place he can, right outside security with a baggage cart and a sign with Ally’s name on it. He is Moe, and we are his third family today. He is cuter than pie, and his wife Helen,also a very nice lady, meets us at the car rental. Here we have a small snag due to *ahem* DH’s expired driver’s license. He WAS the driver listed, but now they change it to ME, the LEGAL DRIVER. :drive: Heehee! (I like to drive!) As we walk outside, we are blown away by the humidity. It’s like walking into a fogged up bathroom, only there’s no kids to yell at for forgetting to turn on the fan.And this is 6:30 pm!! :scared1:
So will we make it to GKTW without getting lost? Will we be there in time for dinner? Will I get to go to orientation tonight as planned? WILL THERE BE BANANA SPLITS?:banana: :banana:

:rotfl2: No worries,Tracy, they just make you open it off to the side and put the extra weight in a suitcase that *ahem* has room. :rolleyes1 Not a problem unless your extra undies or bra happen to be on top. Then people around you point and laugh. And not supportively, either.:laughing:

Oh no, my other suitcase that I am taking will NOT let anything else fit into it. It has Bill's medical and personal needs in it :scared:. I will just hope and pray the other one is NOT overweight. I know it seems silly and maybe I should just take another suitcase, but we will have more room on the way back. Heck, I will probably just take another one. Geez, back to your report.

I loved the pics of Ally in the front of the plane, she looks adorable in that hat. This is my favorite:

100_4096Small.jpg

I love that the flight attendant mentioned Ally's name and wished her a great time. That is so special.

Wonderful installment as usual. I will make sure to keep up on this TR, I love it!!!

I love the extra attention the airline gave to Ally... such a little thing for them and probably a huge thing for Ally. I was wondering about the car rental thing when you mentioned his expired license earlier. I love to drive too and would welcome the chance but rarely do I get it when with DH. He is WAY to critical of my driving when I do push the issue. Do you know if 2 people can be put on the car rental? I don't think that is usually an issue but wasn't sure since we don't make the arrangements.
Keep it coming, I am really enjoying this!!

Kristen:

Glad to see you have gotten started on your trip report. I can see from your signature that you have just gotten back. Looking forward to hearing all about it. Hope you and your family had a wonderful time!

~Elisa

OH my gosh. Give Kids the WORLD is the best place EVER! I was there about 10 years ago when my brother was granted a wish. It was the most amazing place ever. I honestly remember it more than any other part of the trip. INCLUDING *gasp* WDW and all hte other parks. The houses are so great as is the food, location, landscaping EVERYTHING !!!! I AM SO EXCITED YOU ALL GET TO GO THERE!!!!!!!!!!!! It will be a time you will never forget.

Seashell724, Thanks so much for being excited for us! It was truly amazing, and I would like to go back to visit GKTW (and WDW!) as soon as possible!!
Another update on its way:

Something good to know about Orlando and driving is that each road has two or three names.(for example, 192 is also Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway and Vine St.) Thank goodness for GKTW and their really good directions! They not only sent them to me through the MaW coordinator, they also printed them on the back of Ally’s Welcome sign! My reputation must precede me! :rolleyes1
We made it to GKTW with only *ahem* one honking exasperated Florida native following me (which I think was probably justified, looking back...):sad2: :blush:
lobbySmall.jpg

Outside of the lobby
inlobbySmall.jpg

On the floor of the lobby, one of many in a lot of languages

ANYWAYS, we made it to GKTW at 7:30. Dinner runs until 8 pm, and it was pot roast night. The Giant Candyland Game had been cancelled because of the rain, but DH happily agreed to take the kids to dinner while I went to orientation at 7:45 (whew, made it!) That was very interesting, there were probably about 15 other families represented, several states and a family from the UK. GKTW has served families from 55 countries! How cool is that? I think they said there had been 75,000 families since GKTW had started. They give you your tickets to the parks here, as well as your GAC for Disney and Universal. These work together with your DS/ DD GKTW button, so both of them are worth more than gold. Keep your eye on the GKTW button! DD accidentally threw hers in the washer at one point. (They will replace it if you do lose it, BTW, but still)
After orientation, Marianne, who was checking us in, told us our villa # and how to get there, and we all headed over to our *home sweet Florida home*. Ours is on the right!
RvillaSmall.jpg

These are amazing places. They have more room in them than my house in Oregon! (DH says they are about 1200 sq ft)
AlLRSmall.jpg

Much much nicer than a hotel room!! And sitting on the front porch rocker with my morning coffee became my favorite way to start the day.
viewporchSmall.jpg

Since I missed dinner, I could have ordered pizza from Mama Merry’s pizza (by the swimming pool and part of GKTW) but instead I went for a more nutritious meal option. Mmmm!
bsplitSmall.jpg

Side note: be careful about asking for extra cherries at THIS ice cream parlor! :scared: :lmao:
It is run by volunteers and the ice cream all comes from Friendlies. It is TOO yummy!
There were several surprises for the kids both at check-in and when we got to the villa, so they were already getting spoiled...I was just happy there was a coffee maker, filters and coffee. They also put a half gallon of milk, pop (soda for you southerners), little bottled waters and an Entenmann’s cake in the fridge for us.. Very sweet! No WalMart run tonight!:banana:

Coming up next: Epcot Day and our first train ride at GKTW How will we do it all? What time will we FINALLY get on our way to the Happiest Place on Earth?

That is so funny about the extra cherries! My Dh has taught the kids to always give me their cherries because I love them and it makes me extra happy. It looks like there will be enough cherries that no one will have to share!! :thumbsup2 It all sounds so easy and welcoming (is that a word?). :banana: :banana: I love the picture of the villa. I was wondering about parking and now I see you park right at the villa- cool!!

GKTW Banana Splits are acheiving world wide fame! Seeing your picture of the ice cream makes me want to hop in the car and head to Kissimmee!

Wow, what a GREAT start to your trip report. Reading it just makes me excited to go!! By the way it's only 9 days away. We are all getting so excited and with so many trip reports on the go right now, I can feel the excitment building everytime someone updates!! :goodvibes :woohoo:

THAT ice-cream looks delicious!!!! I will have to make sure to NOT ask for extra cherries as I'm not that big of fan. I do enjoy the first couple though!!! I've never heard of Friendlies ice-cream before. I'm pretty sure that's probably because they don't have one up here in Canada or at least in the province/ city where we are from.

The pictures of your family make the trip look that much more amazing and make the TR that much more interesting. Pictures always make the TR even better. Although I won't be able to add pictures to my TR because of camera and computer related problems. :sad1: But hopefully people will still want to hear about our trip none the less.

I'll be looking forward to hearing about the rest of your TR. You sure are good at leaving us with those cliff hangers:rotfl: :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter