• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

All star movies!

NJlauren

DIS Veteran
Tell me everything please!

Considering a surprise 2 night mother daughter trip in the fall for a MK day and the Halloween party only. So not a ton of resort or park time but want to hear about the hotel.

Thanks!

It's definitely a hotel... Not much good to say about it other than the outside theme is cool, probably the best of the all stars... Food court has a secret menu with 3 super unhealthy choices, but the fan fare leading up to it is pretty cool(They bring out a metal case with a few view finders for you to check out the food)... I would just suggest heading to Pop Century or jumping to a moderate. Unless your daughter is real young, id stay away.

It's definitely a hotel... Not much good to say about it other than the outside theme is cool, probably the best of the all stars... Food court has a secret menu with 3 super unhealthy choices, but the fan fare leading up to it is pretty cool(They bring out a metal case with a few view finders for you to check out the food)... I would just suggest heading to Pop Century or jumping to a moderate. Unless your daughter is real young, id stay away.

She is 4, pop was what I wanted have stayed before and really liked it, but currently sold out...

My family has always enjoyed our stays here. My kids love the over the top characters and theme. It offers a nice, safe, clean stay with basic amenities. The pool does not have a water slide but that has never been a make or break for us, nor has the lack of hot tub. The food court offers a large variety of choices and the staff are very friendly. Disunplugged recently did a review of their stay here and were happy with it. They are the ones who sponsor this board.

She is 4, pop was what I wanted have stayed before and really liked it, but currently sold out...

With her being that young, I would absolutely stay at All-Star Movies. She will love the characters when you walk around. Check out the video that the Capitalangel posted to get more familiar with it.

Could you be more specific as to why you would stay away? We've been at AKL, AoA, and Pop and I've been considering Movie's just to try something different without breaking the bank. I thought Pop was fine, not upscale but it served it's purpose. Why is Movie's so much different than Pop?

We surprised our kids with a 1 night stay at Movies last month and they loved it! The pool is great, there's a splash pad for little ones too. They play games at the pool in the afternoon. The Toy Story section is a lot of fun to play around, and the playground is there too (yes, my kids actually use the playgrounds). We also noticed that magic bands will activate certain things in the display case in the lobby - like putting your name on award plaques!

Check out the disunplugged 7 resorts in 7 days for their review on All Star Movies. They gave a very positive review, and were surprised to actually like it! They are very honest in their views, so I would watch this before deciding. It looks like a great place for a family to stay.

Could you be more specific as to why you would stay away? We've been at AKL, AoA, and Pop and I've been considering Movie's just to try something different without breaking the bank. I thought Pop was fine, not upscale but it served it's purpose. Why is Movie's so much different than Pop?

The rooms are in DESPERATE need or refurb. Beds and Pillows were horrendous, not just bad, but horrendous... I generally care less where I stay because its a bed and a shower, but this was to far below par. I believe there was 1 maybe 2 outlets in the entire room and of those outlets none of them felt safe. My charger was hanging out of it and the slightest movement it would fall out.

The food is serviceable, but nothing to write home about. At Pop you can easily walk to landscape of flavor in AOA which is light years ahead of anything all star. Pop also has 85% of the rooms refurbed, I believe only the 60's building is left.

It could be 10$ a night and I would ONLY consider staying here if I had a young child with me, because at that point its not about me, its about them.

Stayed there two years ago and DS was 11 and he loved it. They had plenty of buses in October (only two buses were shared with other AS resorts), but really had a great time and no complaints. If you just need somewhere to crash, shower, and have an occasional dip in the pool, it's worth it.

The rooms are in DESPERATE need or refurb. Beds and Pillows were horrendous, not just bad, but horrendous... I generally care less where I stay because its a bed and a shower, but this was to far below par. I believe there was 1 maybe 2 outlets in the entire room and of those outlets none of them felt safe. My charger was hanging out of it and the slightest movement it would fall out.

The food is serviceable, but nothing to write home about. At Pop you can easily walk to landscape of flavor in AOA which is light years ahead of anything all star. Pop also has 85% of the rooms refurbed, I believe only the 60's building is left.

It could be 10$ a night and I would ONLY consider staying here if I had a young child with me, because at that point its not about me, its about them.
And that is exactly why they're refurbishing them now. We get it, you aren't a fan of the All Stars.

And that is exactly why they're refurbishing them now. We get it, you aren't a fan of the All Stars.

How about you chill out, someone asked me why I had that opinion. Secondly, I have stayed there many many times from when I was a child until about 2 years ago. For the additional 50-60$ per night at Pop your getting a much better Value. I could care less where I stay, its a bed and a shower.

The OP has a 4 year old, so I actually suggested they stay at All Stars. Do some reading before blurting out rude comments.

We've stayed there with our kids and they LOVED it. Yes, it's a no-frills resort, but it's still a Disney resort. My kids loved the zero entry pool, splash pad, and the theming in the Toy Story section (where we stayed). They loved walking through "Andy's Room" every time we went to the main building. It was magical for them, and I'm so glad we stayed there. We never had any problems with buses, in fact, they were better there than when we stayed at Coronado. We had decent experiences in the food court - it's a food court - manage your expectations and you're fine. I'd definitely stay there again for a park-heavy stay. In fact, my husband and I are going this fall for our anniversary, and we considered Movies, budget depending.

We have thoroughly enjoyed our stays at all 3 All Stars. We found them fun and very enjoyable.

We had no issues with the room at Movies in March - bed, pillows, or outlets. Everything was great (We were in the Dalmatians section)

Personally, we're not a fan of Pop. My kids just didn't "get" the theme. But we do like AOA - it's just a very long walk to anything from the Mermaid rooms.

We had no issues with the room at Movies in March - bed, pillows, or outlets. Everything was great (We were in the Dalmatians section)

Personally, we're not a fan of Pop. My kids just didn't "get" the theme. But we do like AOA - it's just a very long walk to anything from the Mermaid rooms.

I agree that Pop is underwhelming for kids, we took my daughter over there to check it out when we stayed AOA (Mermaid Room) and she wasn't thrilled. The mermaid rooms were VERY far away. The morning wasn't so bad but at night it was a tough walk... again at this point its more about the kids than us so to me the walk is nothing if they enjoy the resort.

Having younger kids the All Stars or AOA make more sense... If its older kids or just adults I would do POP in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

I have tentatively booked all star movies for October would be nice to get a refurbished room! But it’s only two nights so we shall see, also hotel as always subject to change!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter