All About the Food May 17-23, 2012

luvmarypoppins

<font color=darkorchid>I am debating whether to pu
It was just Dh and I and we were celebrating our anniversary and my birthday. We wore our buttons all week. We werent on the dining plan, but had a Tables in Wonderland Card.

May 17 - Hollywood Brown Derby

For Appetizers dh had the spring rolls and I had the bibb lettuce salad. The salad did have a onion dressing that you could really taste. I really wanted the lobster bisque soup, but the menu states that it is now asparagus soup, so that was not something I cared for.

The bread was good. I did get a little annoyed that the server never took my menu away or the wine list menu. They just sat there on the ledge the whole time we were dining.

Entrees - Dh and I both had the filet. He had the larger portion, I really didnt notice too much of a difference. They were both cooked perfectly. Dh asked for medium rare and I asked for medium.

Dessert: Dh had the grapefruit cake. He loved it as usual. I had the creme brule and it was good.

Surprise: They came out with something that was like a chocolate mouse type little cake. The fun part was that they had celebrate spelled out in huge letters with raspberry sauce.

May 19- Le Cellier Lunch

I know I must have been crazy, but with almost 90 degree weather I still wanted cheddar cheese soup and pretzel bread.

Our server kept saying one word - awesome!! I think I read others say they also had her and she kept saying awesome! alot! Yes, everything she asked us was commented with awesome!!

Appetizers - Had a big bowl of cheddar cheese soup. Saved some for dh.
Dh had the spicy chicken and chipolte sausage. He liked it

Entrees - Dh had the filet mignon. He loved it as usual.
I asked if I could get the ceasar salad with chicken as an entree. Its listed on the menu as part of the prix fixe options but not the regular menu, but she said sure so I was happy.

Desserts - Dh had the seasonal sorbet - tangerine. He liked it. I thought it was a bit on the tart side.

I had the cheesecake. It was fine.

Surprise: Absolutely nothing. Not that I expected anything. Only reporting this so others can see an honest review. This was the only place we ate all week who practically didint make a fuss over us barely acknowledging our day. I dont even know if the server said awesome to this?

Oh and No Walk ups were being accepted.

May 18Cape May Buffet Dinner

We were seated more by the back half of the buffet.
Dh is the seafood lover. I like more of the landlubber things.

We both had the chicken corn chowder soup. It was really good.

In the salad section, the potato salad had blue cheese in it and if you remember the buffet from before they used to have peel and eat shrimp, but now its a shrimp salad with onion, and maybe peppers and tiny shrimp.

The lanldubber section has been really cut back from before and really limited. I had some ribs, mashed potatos and green beans. There was not even a pasta dish as there was in the past.

The childrens section didnt even have a vegetable.

The carved beef had no gravy to go with it. Dh asked the chef.

Dh was happy with his crab legs.

Then the trouble started. There were 2 kids who were running wild up and down the aisles. First the little boy ran under a table by us and refused to come out. This family was def not happy with their unwelcome visitor.

Next the brother and sister kept running up and down again, as in a race. The parents did absolutely nothing but sit down. The server even made a comment to me, when the father finally got up. She said, oh I guess that is his father.

Then I told dh to be careful as I knew what was coming. Sure enough the little boy started running wild again and this time dh was coming back with a plate of food. Dh is big so lucky he only brushed into the kid. They both could have went flying. Dh had a little talk with the boys dad. I think they left the place after that. Everyone who was dining was relieved.

Just curious as to Disney policy for castmembers to deal with difficult guests. It always seems like they are told not to say anything. But this could have hurt people as it almost did. It was a safety issue as well as the rudeness issue etc.

For dessert I wanted a mini cupcake. There were none left. The server also took our silverware away . We had to ask her for more.

Liked the salt water taffy at the end

Surprise: We were given a little chocolate cupcake to share.

If you dont like seafood this might not be a good place, especially since the selections of non seafood items seems to be cut way back.

May 18 Snacks

Beverly Sweets at DHS
I had a caramel apple with nuts and dh had a slushy drink

Beach Club Marketplace

We skipped lunch but were hungry before dinner, so we shared a ham and cheese sandwich with homemade chips. It was good.

May 19
Le Chefs De France Dinner

Some guy walked up and asked for a table for 8. He was told there is nothing here tonight, we are sold out.

Appetizers - Dh and I both had the lobster bisque. Good as usual

Entrees - Dh had the chicken and liked it.
I had the filet and it was cooked medium. I liked the potatoes. They had a good flavor.

Dessert: Dh had the sorbet. He was trying to guess the flavors.
I had the creme brule

Surprise: They came and brought us a little dessert, maybe chocolate? Cant remember and sang to us. So sweet.

Right before that they also sang to the lady at the next table. Lots of celebrations there tonight.

May 20
Garden Grove at the Swan Breakfast

We went here a few years ago and dh wanted to try it again. I was surprised when we got there that we met Diser Tuffcookie. We had a great little Dis meet right there in the lobby! She was actually the first Diser I met in person years ago.

I didnt notice but under our table was a mess. Guess there were kids before us there. Lots of cereal under the table.

Dh and I both had the chef make us an omelet. Dh got most of my food since I have mobility issues. Everything we had was good. Fruit was good.

Dh liked the oatmeal and the baked goods were fresh.

The characters there were Pluto and Goofy. The place was much more crowded than I expected.

May 20 Kona Cafe Dinner

Dh and I were seated right out front. Not exactly romantic in any way, but it was fine for us.

Appetizers: Dh had the crab cakes. Said they were good.
I had the Kona salad. The portion was pretty big and I gave some to dh.

Of course the bread and butter were out of this world as usual.

Entrees- Dh and I both had the ginger crusted rib eye. He ordered his medium rare and I ordered mine medium. They used to serve this with broccolini. Now its snap peas and they are very al dente. I love them.

Dh steak came out medium. The server even commented and wanted it sent back. Dh said no as we wanted to eat together etc. Then somehow the manager came over. We didnt even ask for him to come over. He was nice and maybe talked to us a little way too much. Honestly, I know he was trying to make things right but we just wanted to eat in peace.

Desserts: Dh and I both got the banana creme brule, excellent as usual. We had our desserts comped because of dh overcooked steak. Very nice and we didnt even ask for this.

Surprise - They bought us out a chocolate cupcake I think.

Dh also ordered the press pot coffee. He liked it as usual.

This place gets an A plus for customer service

May 21
Captains Grille Breakfast

Dh and I both had the buffet. Our server was really friendly and attentive.

Everything was very fresh.

I liked the fruit, yogurt and blueberry muffins the best as well as the Mickey waffles.

Dh had coffee with 3 shots of espresso, I think he really was awake after that!

Surprise: They bought us 2 chocolate cupcakes

Then the trouble started. There were 2 kids who were running wild up and down the aisles. First the little boy ran under a table by us and refused to come out. This family was def not happy with their unwelcome visitor.

Next the brother and sister kept running up and down again, as in a race. The parents did absolutely nothing but sit down. The server even made a comment to me, when the father finally got up. She said, oh I guess that is his father.

Have you never had a bad moment with a child? Let me guess....you don't have children. Shame on the parents, but life happens and you never know what to expect anywhere at WDW.

I can handle any kid situation. It's the stupid adults that bother me.

Great reviews! I've been looking forward to reading your reviews. Anyway, that's disheartening to hear that the landlubber selections were cut back. Cape May is one of my favorite buffets (we do enjoy breakfast more) but also did like the dinners there.

I also want to try the Captains Grille (I think--if that's the place at the Yacht Club). I don't know how I've missed that all these years.

And that's AWFUL about those kids. I cannot stand misbehaving children. And really as 3PrinceMom attempted to say, I think, it was their stupid parents. When your kids act that way, you get up and leave. Obviously they were too lazy to parent. Good thing it was you there and not me. At my advancing age and crankiness, and with my kids right beside me, I think I would have made a huge fuss.

Have you never had a bad moment with a child? Let me guess....you don't have children. Shame on the parents, but life happens and you never know what to expect anywhere at WDW.

Last time we were at Cape May for breakfast , there were some kids at the table behind us ( and yes i have kids) , I notice Donald was going above and beyond his duty as character and being really cute with the kids , well this little girl kept pulling at his tail feathers , he was gracious and made fun and left their table , while he was at our table , trying to entertain mine and my friends kids , she kept coming and doing it too , finally the character handle told the parents that it has to stop and the parents got completely upset with them and yelling that it's Disney and that this type of behaviour should be accepted :confused3

Why I actually have 3 ds and we have been to Disney many times with them. I also volunteer teach anywhere from prek to 6th grade. So I am very used to kids, even badly behaved ones, including my own at times.

This situation was getting dangerous. As I stated my dh and the little boy almost both fell down etc.

We never said anything to them until the almost crash incident.

Also I dont know wht the other family said when he wouldnt come out from under their table, but that took a while too.

... the parents got completely upset with them and yelling that it's Disney and that this type of behaviour should be accepted :confused3

I'm with you stitchaholic... As a mom of three, I can honestly say that just because it's Disney doesn't mean it's an excuse for your kids to be out of control. I would never except that kind of behavior from mine. They'd very quickly find themselves spending a day in the room... doing homework.

Happy anniversary! Happy birthday!

There is a buffet restaurant near home that we go to sometimes. (I don't love it at all, but DH does, so I humor him once in a while.) Anyway, they've got a bunch of signs up stating that children under 10 are to be accompanied by an adult in the buffet area, but every time we are there, children are running around like crazy. I've never seen the people who work there say anything to the kids or their parents, and honestly, I'm concerned about safety.

Someone with hot soup, the steam trays themselves...the potential for someone to get seriously injured is there, but nobody except me seems to care.

I'm disheartened to read that Cape May doesn't have such a big variety anymore. The price at Disney buffets seems to have climbed exponentially, but they seem to cut back on them more and more. It's a shame. :(

I have THREE children of varying ages and there is no planet on which I would allow them to behave the way the OP describes. Sorry, but the "Oh we're in Disney so the rules don't apply" doesn't fly with me. Yes, children get anxious and/or cranky and as a parent it is MY responsibility to deal with the situation by removing THEM, not expecting the diners around us to just grin and bear it.
Sorry for the craptastic parenting you obviously witnessed OP. Glad to hear you were able to take it with a grain of salt. :)

May 21 Citricos Dinner

Dh and I were seated at a table directly across from the chefs. It was a little more quieter than people talking in the middle of the restaurant, but I would have preferred a seat by the window for the view.

Appetizers - Dh had the cheese plate. He said it was good.
I had the shrimp. This was good as usual. Last year our server told us to dip the olive bread into the broth and we did this again. It was great and we both love the olive bread.

Our server kept calling me, my dear. She was prompt and efficient and she sure had a lot of tables to handle.

Soup Course: Dh and I both had the Zellwood Corn Chowder. Very good and creamy.

Entree - Dh had the filet and finished his plate.
I had the Chicken. I love how they get the crust so crispy and its a little salty too.

Dessert: Dh had the Tasting of Gelato.
I had the Seasonal Berry Gratin. The sauce was so good as well as the crispy cookie underneath.

Dh had the press pot coffee
Surprise: They bought us something which I cant remember. But it was good.

This is our favorite WDW restaurant. Always great food and service. We usually only go here for special occasions due to the cost.

May 22 Liberty Tree Tavern Lunch

It was pretty crowded here today, I was surprised.

Appetizers: Dh had the Tavern Cheese
I had the salad. The strawberry vinagrette was really good and the salad was absolutely huge. I ended giving half of it to dh.

Entree - Dh had the pork sand. I read about it and told dh he probably would not like it. Its not a bbq pork sand. Its more like a roast pork that has been sliced. He ate it but I know it was not something he expected.

I had the pot roast. I must be crazy. It was about 90 out again but I still felt like I had to have this. It was amazing as usual. The portion was really big and I ended up sharing with dh. I think he wished he would have ordered this too.

Dessert : Dh got the ooey gooey toffee cake
I got the gelato. It was raspberry and this thing was beyond huge. It looked like 4 scoops turned into one giant serving. I only ate half and gave the rest to dh. I was getting brain freeze.

Surprise: They bought a chocolate cupcake out that was decorated with patriotic sprinkles. Also they sang which was really cute.

Ma 22 Tutto Italia Dinner

I was really looking forward to this since the menu change and since its always been a place we enjoyed going to.

Sadly dh has asked this place to be taken off our list due to our experience and the food. We are comparing the old Tutto versus the new Tutto. I guess if you didnt have anything to compare it to, you might have a different opinion.

First off, the bread they give you is now an almost non descriptive nothing. There were like 3 pieces of rosemary on one serving we had, none of the others.

The olive assortment is no more. They only serve a small dish of only green olives. Also an olive oil dipping sauce for the bread.

The service was really slow. So much that everyone was getting extra bread and olives.

Appetizers: Dh had the Prosciutto. It said it came with melon. Dh said he didnt see any melon on his plate. He didnt say anything.

I ordered the Ceasar Salad. It was good as usual and appeared the same as before.

Entree: Dh had the Tonnarelli. He did not care for it and I took a bite. I didnt care for it either. It tasted awful.

I had the lasagna. It was unevenly cooked. Some parts were barely warm and others were hotter.

Dessert: Dh had the pistachio dessert, not the gelato one. The serving seemed really small for the price.

I had the chocolate chip gelato. It was a big serving and good.

Surrpise: They bought us out a chocolate dessert that was in a chocolate and white chocolate cup. It was really good and I loved how they all sang. This was the only good thing about the whole meal I think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter