All about the Autotrain

We've booked lower level coach for our family for this first time, traveling down and back in November (down on 11/4-back on 11/20). Anyone have experience with having kids on the lower level? Did you get yucky looks from older folks? Did you feel uncomfortable if your kids were speaking/moving? Ours are 11, almost 14 and almost 16, so it's not like they're rambunctious toddlers. My teens were actually who requested the lower level to potential AVOID rambunctious toddlers....but I've heard that the Seniors on the LL don't enjoy sharing space with families.

My fingers are crossed that maybe the 5 of us will get our own space...~laugh~

When we made our reservations back in April we booked coach seats but was not given the option of choosing upper or lower. With two young children where would be the best choice for us to pick when checking in (if we will have a choice). And should we request a car away from the locomotives and the train whistle?

We've booked lower level coach for our family for this first time, traveling down and back in November (down on 11/4-back on 11/20). Anyone have experience with having kids on the lower level? Did you get yucky looks from older folks? Did you feel uncomfortable if your kids were speaking/moving? Ours are 11, almost 14 and almost 16, so it's not like they're rambunctious toddlers. My teens were actually who requested the lower level to potential AVOID rambunctious toddlers....but I've heard that the Seniors on the LL don't enjoy sharing space with families.

My fingers are crossed that maybe the 5 of us will get our own space...~laugh~

We have taken the LL twice going down to Sanford and have been lucky enough to have it to ourselves (family of 4) both times (once in July and once in April). As you are heading down in November you have a greater chance of being lucky due to the fact that all the snowbirds will either be home or heading in the opposite direction. Coming back north you might not be so lucky.

We did lower level coach once...but there were 7 of us and we almost had the whole car to ourselves. I think there were 3 people in the front of the car (furthest from the door) and then we all had the back 2 or 3 rows on each side. It was perfect for the kids and one ended up with a row to herself so she spread out across it. I told the kids they could lay on the floor behind the seats, but I don't think they found that very comfortable. It was our only time traveling the AutoTrain in coach, and after walking through the upper levels, I think it's the only way I would want to travel in coach. Even if it ends up full, it's still a little more private than the upper cars.

The food in general was decent. Breakfast could have had a few more pastry selections to choose from. I don't eat bananas, cereal, or yogurt. Lol.

Yogurt? I wish. We've only ever had corn muffins, bagels, cream cheese, jelly, bananas, cereal, milk and oj over the last 10 years. It's such a high carb breakfast that I am usually starving within 2 hours.

Also, as for crowds, both October and November into early Dec are usually packed going south as snowbirds are continually heading down during those months. Just as Mar-early May is usually packed heading north for the same reasons. Most snowbirds do 6 months and 1 day so as to claim FL residency andtake advantage of the no state income tax.

We have met some very interesting people at dinner. Mostly snowbirds and we have great conversations and never had any issues, but we like meeting new people. The retirees always have interesting stories and we've learned a lot about snowbirding.

Last edited:
I just booked our southbound auto train fare for next August. Family bedroom was $265.00, but it looks like the base fare went up a few bucks. The vehicle charge was also a bit inflated. It was $790.00 total for 2 adults, 2 kids, a vehicle and a family bedroom. The good news is that I will be watching the rates like a hawk, because I know for a fact that the vehicle charge will drop and Amtrak will credit me the difference.

Check your ressies I was able to get a credit for the fare I just booked a week ago. Rates dropped for vehicle cost and northbound fares in August are low too.

Our report for the train trip - southern trip 9/19 and northern trip 9/28. The trip down we were placed in upper level seats with a few other families. We were in the front of the car and behind the stairs were other passengers. It was not that crowded so we had extra seats to spread out. It worked out ok - there were times it was not quiet due to little ones (our family contributed to that) but no one seemed to mind since we were all families. We didn't sleep much but hadn't really expected that we would. We arrived in Sanford at 8 AM and had our van by 9:18. The trip back we were again placed in upper level seats in the front of the car but we were the only family. But the entire car only had about 20 passengers total so we had plenty of room to spread out. And the car in front of us was completely empty so when our little granddaughter cried we just took her up there and no one was disturbed. We did sleep a little better on the way back but I think it was because we were really tired after a week in Disney. All in all it was a good trip!

So how has Southeast flooding affected your Autotrain travel plans? According to Amtrak forums a major bridge in South Carolina owned and operated by CSX has structural damage and it may be a few days until they can inspect it after the water recedes.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that the damage isn't great and the lines can be inspected and reopened.

So how has Southeast flooding affected your Autotrain travel plans? According to Amtrak forums a major bridge in South Carolina owned and operated by CSX has structural damage and it may be a few days until they can inspect it after the water recedes.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that the damage isn't great and the lines can be inspected and reopened.

Amtrak site says trains are cancelled through at least today and apparently have been all week. Water should recede by the weekend and then they'll know. We're going at the end of Nov, but there are plenty of people who have had to rearrange their travel this week.

Amtrak site says trains are cancelled through at least today and apparently have been all week. Water should recede by the weekend and then they'll know. We're going at the end of Nov, but there are plenty of people who have had to rearrange their travel this week.
We were scheduled to take the train last Saturday from Sanford ... We were notified on Friday evening that it was cancelled ... We rebooked for Sunday ... They called Sunday on our way to the train to let us know it was cancelled ... We rebooked for Monday ... On Monday at 10:00 a.m. I received an email stating the train was cancelled yet again ... I called and they said no train for two more days ... We took our chance and drive home via traveling west in Georgia and then back to I95 ... Took us an extra 5 hours to get back to Philly.

Can anyone comment about their experience in coach seating with young children? Were you happy with where you were seated. How did you occupy the kids? Did they sleep much? Thanks!

We traveled twice round trip on the AT. One southbound trip we did the coach seats with our childen,to be honest, I would rather have pins in my eyes then do that again. NONE of us slept. I am not a light sleeper but could no fall asleep. The door between the cars kept opening and banging all night. I felt like a zombie in the morning.

The drive to WDW is around 17 hours from our house. I do not like to fly but finally started flying. Even though I am not crazy about it, it is the most convenient, fastest way to get to Disney.

A bit of good news from Amtrak.

Amtrak Restores Service Along The East Coast

Oct. 10, 2015
4:30 p.m. ET

Amtrak is restoring all service along the East Coast after severe weather impacted railroad operations in the Southeast over the last week.

The following services will resume scheduled operations as noted, except to the Kingstree, S.C. station, which remains closed:

• Auto Train 52 & 53 (Lorton, Va. – Sanford, Fla.) will resume operations on Sunday, Oct. 11

We took the Auto train down on Oct 17. It was our first time. We drove from Massachusetts to Virginia. It took about 8 hrs. We got to the train early around 11 am. They started to let everyone in at 11:30. They boarded the train at 2:30pm. We had a lover coach it was pretty full train. Our compartment was full and everyone was a snow bird. We were trying out the train because next year we will be snow birds too. Got in an hour and 1/2 late. Had 3 stops due to CSX having the right of way. We got little sleep, but it was because we did not know what to expect. The freight trains going pass were the reasons we were awake. And yes the train horn was always blowing. But we will be going back in two weeks and hope it will be less of a crowd and we should be able to use the lounge. On the way back we will not arrive until 1pm and have lunch before we get there. The cars are not unloaded in any order. Ours was in the last car unloaded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter