All about the Autotrain

Hi all - Family & I are traveling in July. Today, we received the email letter regarding the removal of the sleeper lounge car. I have several concerns - What other cuts will be taken prior to my July trip? Will the dinner menu change? DD8 does not like their macaroni or chicken nuggets - she likes the steak. If the menu changes, I need to pack her something for dinner. Will I be getting a refund being I paid for a services that are now being eliminated? I did send them an email with all of my concerns. Hopefully I get a response. Guess next year we will be driving if the services are cut & the price does not come down to reflect the cuts.

If you go to the above link and page through, you'll see the other cuts and discussions of them.

As for meals, we loved the steak too and only ordered that. I'm sure it's gone now. I read one review of the meal who said it was horrible....will be interested to hear more opinions.

In summary:

- they are not adding staff even though they are adding passengers
- fresh fruit will be eliminated when it runs out and not replaced
- water bottles in rooms is rumored to be cut next
- meals to be reduced to less than 1.5 hours with folks saying they won't be surprised if salads and desserts go too.

I can't believe how much is changing.

It may seem a little surprising at first glance, but earlier in the thread (or perhaps it was on the Amtrak forums - I don't recall) someone recently posted the financial statements for Amtrak, by route. There were only a few routes that were profitable, and I was really surprised to learn that the Auto Train was not one of them. That's not the whole story, of course, but it is a big part of the story: The question is will cutting costs cut in to revenues. As someone who takes the train because driving both ways is just too much driving, and I don't fly, I can understand how market analysis could conclude that cutting costs will save more money than it would lose in revenues.

The business plan actually seems to say that they feel that there is untapped revenue - money that they had to turn away because of limited capacity (as indicated by the addition of a new coach car). So not only do they apparently have the data that shows that the cost cutting will be a net-gain, but it seems say that more people will take the train in the future, even after the cost-cutting, than are taking it today.

Maybe it is just wishful thinking though. Maybe this is just the last gasp before Amtrak gives up trying to operate the Auto Train, due to the losses it incurs. Silver Service is a strategic service. It keeps the rails a viable passenger option in that part of the country, and that's a national priority. But Auto Train isn't strategic in that way.

What they did is bait & switch.
I'm sure they use the same language in the contract as the airlines, that what you're buying is just the passage from one place to another, and the provision of a sleeping accommodation of a specific configuration (if applicable). Consumer protection is better now than it was in the recent past, perhaps, but it is still pretty abysmal, and nowhere near it was "back in the day".

You are right...as a sleeper car passenger I enjoyed the privacy of the sleeper cars and not having everyone go past our room.
Does anyone know if the latch to the bedrooms can be locked from the outside with a personal padlock? Or are we now going to have to worry about two or three times as many people having the ability to walk into our rooms and rummage through our things while we're at dinner.

Honestly, the changes do not bother me in the least. Fact is, the autotrain exists to get us and our car from VA to FL and back. Other than that, I do not take the train for the food or "free" wine. I'd much rather have the service than eventually lose it due to bankruptcy. I have always brought wine for myself when we ride in coach and always bring snacks. The fact it's taken this long to make major changes compared to airlines actually surprises me. People keep expecting the same service at lower costs. That won't happen as the providers costs are going up, not down.

Does anyone know if the latch to the bedrooms can be locked from the outside with a personal padlock? Or are we now going to have to worry about two or three times as many people having the ability to walk into our rooms and rummage through our things while we're at dinner.

No, there is no way to lock the door from the outside and I don't think they would allow it for safety reasons. However, there is an attendant in every car and coach passengers are not allowed in the sleeper car section of the train. I have never felt concerned about stuff in my room. Of course, anything of real value; jewelry, expensive camera, laptop, would best be put out of sight.

Honestly, the changes do not bother me in the least. Fact is, the autotrain exists to get us and our car from VA to FL and back. Other than that, I do not take the train for the food or "free" wine. I'd much rather have the service than eventually lose it due to bankruptcy. I have always brought wine for myself when we ride in coach and always bring snacks. The fact it's taken this long to make major changes compared to airlines actually surprises me. People keep expecting the same service at lower costs. That won't happen as the providers costs are going up, not down.

I too am not upset about free wine, cheese, and crackers. I do however want good food. It isn't so much that any one of the perks is absolutely necessary, it is more that the trip is pretty darn expensive so the extras help make it better and more worthwhile. If they either stop serving good food or stop providing a meal with the room, I would stop using the Auto Train.

No, there is no way to lock the door from the outside and I don't think they would allow it for safety reasons. However, there is an attendant in every car and coach passengers are not allowed in the sleeper car section of the train. I have never felt concerned about stuff in my room. Of course, anything of real value; jewelry, expensive camera, laptop, would best be put out of sight.

Hate to burst your bubble, but with the new setup with only one club car everyone will be able to go anywhere on the train now. When we were in the club car on Sunday from LOR to SFA the bartender was telling to women from coach that, yes, they could go check out the sleeper car area. There is really nothing stopping it from happening except observant porters in the sleeper cars.

Hate to burst your bubble, but with the new setup with only one club car everyone will be able to go anywhere on the train now. When we were in the club car on Sunday from LOR to SFA the bartender was telling to women from coach that, yes, they could go check out the sleeper car area. There is really nothing stopping it from happening except observant porters in the sleeper cars.
Was the lounge car packed or was it easy to get a seat?

Was the lounge car packed or was it easy to get a seat?

There were plenty of seats on our trip but there was a low head count on this trip too. Many empty sleepers in our car. I'm sure northbound is going to be crazy full with all the snowbirds going north. We are driving home so we won't get stuck in that. Our last trip the train before this one was jam packed and club & dining cars were crazy & that was still with the 2 club cars. Wouldn't want to be on the northbound right now.

If you go to the above link and page through, you'll see the other cuts and discussions of them.

As for meals, we loved the steak too and only ordered that. I'm sure it's gone now. I read one review of the meal who said it was horrible....will be interested to hear more opinions.

In summary:

- they are not adding staff even though they are adding passengers
- fresh fruit will be eliminated when it runs out and not replaced
- water bottles in rooms is rumored to be cut next
- meals to be reduced to less than 1.5 hours with folks saying they won't be surprised if salads and desserts go too.

Yes,thank-you. I did read that detailed info. :) If it was just DH & I traveling, I really would not worry about the change in food (even though I think sleepers pay more $$ for the rooms so the food should be better quality). But traveling with DD8 who does not eat chicken nuggets or "jar" gravy on macaroni, I will need to prepare in advance for her dinner meal. Hopefully, as these changes are implemented, fellow board members will post their experiences.

This will be our 4th auto-train trip. In 2012 we drove round trip & the trip home was very hard. Also, I will not fly. So the auto train is such a great option. But if the cost stays the same (or rises) and the services are cut to an extreme, we as a family will need to re-think our auto-train travels in the future.:(

This part made me want to :sad::sad:!!

a. Revenue
i. Average 8050 annual pass riders @ $30 fee = $214,000 (use
as F&B transfer)
ii. Average 4600 vehicles @ $75 fee = $345,000
iii. Total revenue generated = $586,000
b. Also an OIG report item
c. Need to work with Marketing to implement

We are Pass riders. Definitely need to budget for next year's trip. Crossing fingers that they don't mess with the July trip that is already booked. Discussing with DH when I read this -- we will still take the AT. Having to pay will still be cheaper than flying 6 of us to WDW or having to drive the whole way there. We don't use the lounge car at all (most years we travelled it had the smell of the smoker's). We did enjoy the cheese and crackers (especially ds6) but I can pack a small cooler with the same. Wine never was a big thing for us. though I really enjoyed the glass on the return trip home last year. Sad that the china is leaving. It was just a nice touch when we traveled in sleepers. Though the last few trips we had to eat in Coach dining.

As with everything we are seeing around us - everyone is cutting back and raising cost. Unfortunately it cost more now to do things than it did not so long ago.

I am very blessed to be able to ride the last 12 trips on the AT as a pass holder. We always thought it was a great perk. I'll have to check to see if there are still blue and white days for pass riders. We always booked by the blue days. hmm maybe it will open us more travel day options for us. Our trip was shortened by a few days this year because of white days.

Still excited for the trip!!

OK, me again, autotrain rookie...

So I did something that I am sure most of you frequent travelers on the AT will laugh at but I just booked the priority off loading for my return.

My dh wanted it done so we could be home that much sooner & I hemmed & hawed & tonight I got my kids baseball/softball schedule & guess what, 2 of my 3 kids have a game on the day we get back. I know they both want to play that day as it's their first game of the season.

So I am doing my best to make sure they can get to their 5:30 games and I sucked it up & became gullible & paid the $50. Hey I paid for extra leg room seats on my return flight from Disney last summer since it was arriving at 10:30 & I wanted to be first off. I didn't realize we were able to miss that long line at MCO that was over 1/2 wait. That was the best $150 I spent (there are 5 of us).

We are between 5-6 hours from Lorton. Yeah I know we will be tired but I can guarantee that my kids will sleep that night if they play a game as well. And I know the train can be late. Even if it is, my dh wants to be on the road as soon as possible & not be waiting around any longer then we need to. We will have to drop my moms suitcase off (I think) since she is flying home. And I know there can be an accident/traffic. I get there may be delays but if the timing is right we will make it thru NYC before traffic becomes a problem as well as Fairfield, County, CT as well & we may hit a bit in New Haven, CT.

OK, me again, autotrain rookie...

So I did something that I am sure most of you frequent travelers on the AT will laugh at but I just booked the priority off loading for my return.

My dh wanted it done so we could be home that much sooner & I hemmed & hawed & tonight I got my kids baseball/softball schedule & guess what, 2 of my 3 kids have a game on the day we get back. I know they both want to play that day as it's their first game of the season.

So I am doing my best to make sure they can get to their 5:30 games and I sucked it up & became gullible & paid the $50.

There's priority offloading?! I didn't even know that was available! I didn't see it and I just booked my travel online 3 days ago. How does that work and is it $50 for the roundtrip or each leg? How quickly do you get your car?

There's priority offloading?! I didn't even know that was available! I didn't see it and I just booked my travel online 3 days ago. How does that work and is it $50 for the roundtrip or each leg? How quickly do you get your car?

I called for it. $50 each leg so I just did my return since any extra minutes to get us home will be worth it!

It said the first 20 cars off. I am not sure how booked our train is but there are no rooms avail in either direction, just coach seats. We are leaving next Friday (like in 10 days) and return home in Easter, well we leave fl on Easter.

We aren't doing it for the train down. We have about a 4 hour drive to our final destination in FL.

I called for it. $50 each leg so I just did my return since any extra minutes to get us home will be worth it!

It said the first 20 cars off. I am not sure how booked our train is but there are no rooms avail in either direction, just coach seats. We are leaving next Friday (like in 10 days) and return home in Easter, well we leave fl on Easter.

We aren't doing it for the train down. We have about a 4 hour drive to our final destination in FL.

Thanks for the info!

OK, me again, autotrain rookie... So I did something that I am sure most of you frequent travelers on the AT will laugh at but I just booked the priority off loading for my return. My dh wanted it done so we could be home that much sooner & I hemmed & hawed & tonight I got my kids baseball/softball schedule & guess what, 2 of my 3 kids have a game on the day we get back. I know they both want to play that day as it's their first game of the season. So I am doing my best to make sure they can get to their 5:30 games and I sucked it up & became gullible & paid the $50. Hey I paid for extra leg room seats on my return flight from Disney last summer since it was arriving at 10:30 & I wanted to be first off. I didn't realize we were able to miss that long line at MCO that was over 1/2 wait. That was the best $150 I spent (there are 5 of us). We are between 5-6 hours from Lorton. Yeah I know we will be tired but I can guarantee that my kids will sleep that night if they play a game as well. And I know the train can be late. Even if it is, my dh wants to be on the road as soon as possible & not be waiting around any longer then we need to. We will have to drop my moms suitcase off (I think) since she is flying home. And I know there can be an accident/traffic. I get there may be delays but if the timing is right we will make it thru NYC before traffic becomes a problem as well as Fairfield, County, CT as well & we may hit a bit in New Haven, CT.

We won't laugh! If you have the money, go for it! You are paying for a convenience. Many people do.

I personally am not in a hurry (we live close by) so we don't do it. Plus I rather spend the money somewhere else like at Disney! The AT has enough of my money!!

Enjoy!

We did the priority off loading and it was great! The great crowd of people settle in for hours long off loading and we were the 3rd car and gone in 60 seconds! In order to get on our way to WDW or at the end of a long trip, it was nice to not sit around and wait.

We won't laugh! If you have the money, go for it! You are paying for a convenience. Many people do.

I personally am not in a hurry (we live close by) so we don't do it. Plus I rather spend the money somewhere else like at Disney! The AT has enough of my money!!

Enjoy!

As much as I want to get to the beach and maybe a quick stop to DtD on our way down, I am not in a hurry, well I sort of am after yesterday's snow! But really I am not in as much of a rush as I am to get home.

We did the priority off loading and it was great! The great crowd of people settle in for hours long off loading and we were the 3rd car and gone in 60 seconds! In order to get on our way to WDW or at the end of a long trip, it was nice to not sit around and wait.

Thanks. I know I have read on other forums about people still in vacation mode and wanting to relax on the train before leaving or that people who had cars come off first were not by their car and the car was in the way.

That won't be us. I will be up, showered and packed to go as soon as they let us off.

Any extra time saver helps when you aren't around the corner from home.

We are staying at my moms the night before we leave and that is about an hour time saver in the am. So instead if leaving at 5 from our house to avoid CT/NYC/NJ traffic, we can leave closer to 6.

Opinions needed.... I'm currently booked for coach it's me and my 2 daughters 10 and 9. Should I switch to a roomette? It's only 138 more for us? Is it worth it? Especially with the changes. The only thing that intrigues me is the privacy so I might actually be able to sleep. But the roomette a look very very tiny. I wonder if the 3 can all sit in it.

I know they don't allow 3 in one roomette. If you click on my trip report I took detailed photos and walked through this exact scenario.

I initially did this - booked just one roomette for my husband and myself and a coach seat for our son, figuring we could all just hang out and crash in the roomette at night. But for 3 adults it would never have worked so we added a second one.

You could technically all squeeze in one depending on how much room the girls need or if they can share a bunk. (my husband and I actually slept on just one) But they're really not that big.

Privacy was great for us. There are curtains which close off the entire window areas and you can lock yourselves in. We had an attendant assigned to our car and were told it was up to them to permit any visitors.

With all the talk about the reconfiguration of the cars, I neglected to mention this story in the Washington Post from March 9. Occoquan is a quaint little town very close to the Lorton Auto Train station. The Mayor of Occoquan is now offering a shuttle service from the train station to Occoquan where train riders can spend about an hour, visiting some of the shops, stretching their legs and getting a bite to eat after they've checked in for their train. I live just a few minutes from Occoquan and it really is a charming little place to visit. http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...-a5fa-55f0c77bf39c_story.html?wprss=rss_local

This is great! Definitely something we might do, does anyone know are there shuttles to other towns close by or is this the only one? Last time we went we ended up somewhere also I don't remember where just to buy some subway sandwiches to eat before checking into the station but the shuttle might be good so we on't feel rushed to return the car so quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter