All about the Autotrain

How much more are you seeing for the return trip. I think for us the return is about 50% more than the trip down. I am hoping the price drops but if it doesn't there are other options.

1. drive home
2. fly... waiting for Jet Blue or Southwest to release August dates and when they do chances are I could fly and rent a car for less that the round trip on the train. This is taking in to account the cancellation charge for the southbound trip.

The price difference is approx. $300 more northbound July '14 then my already booked southbound train. (This is for DH, DD7 & myself in a bedroom.)

In July '12 we drove both ways. Southbound was fine, stopped one night. Northbound was horrible! Stopped two nights but it seemed like it took forever to get home & we were so tired from touring the parks. We really don't want to drive home next summer. After pricing lodging, food & gas for a three night drive home, it might all come out even anyway.

Thanks for the replies, I called Amtrack and they said as long as the vehicle and box are less than 88" tall it was ok, however the lady didn't sound all that sure of herself. Ruddy do you mind if I ask what size your cargo box is? Our's Is 17 cu ft and we have a Town n Country minivan. I'm not sure how well it will fit inside our van. Thanks again

We have a Sears XCargo box which is 18 cu ft. It probably sits a little taller than yours but not as long. When we folded the seats down in the Traverse we had plenty of room for it to sit inside as well as luggage. I don't know the Town & Country all that well but there probably is some seat maneuverabilty that would make it work. I would suggest trying it before driving down. Good luck and have fun!!

I have to admit that after our train ride down here on Saturday, I'm scared to get back on to go home:(. The overnight is super bumpy, I felt like we were going to tip any minute. And those passing freight trains were also scary. Is the extreme bumpiness normal?

Yes, in spots, but there are other spots where you go 70 miles and hour and don't even know it. It is dependent on the track condition which doesn't belong to Amtrak.

I have to admit that after our train ride down here on Saturday, I'm scared to get back on to go home:(. The overnight is super bumpy, I felt like we were going to tip any minute. And those passing freight trains were also scary. Is the extreme bumpiness normal?

Yes the bumps are completely normal. I don't think we've ever had a completely smooth trip. Depending on how sound you sleep you wouldn't even know you actually stop in the middle of the night for a few minutes at one of the stations.

On our 1st Autotrain trip I was a little disoriented with the rocking and you do feel it more being on the upper level than the lower. Once you get use to it, it's actually a fun ride. The only thing that bothers me about the rocking or the bumps is when passing stairs through the train cars. I'm always afraid we're gonna rock a little hard the wrong way and lose one of our kids down the steps.

Has anyone had any experience with bringing a vehicle with a cargo box attached to the top (ie. Thule)? Amtracks web site seems to give some contradictory information on what is and is not allowed, mentions signing a damage waiver. This will be our first time using the AT, making the return trip (northbound) on November 17.

thanks

I will be interested in your experience with the carrier.

You will definitely need to remove the cargo box. We used one this past February on a Chevy Traverse. You will be able to pass through the security gate with the cargo box attached; once you get past the gate there are short term parking spots where you can remove the cargo box and place inside your vehicle. Then you get back on line to have your vehicle placed on the train. As long as you are driving down in a minivan, SUV or crossover this should not pose a problem.

Have fun.

ruddydvc

Good to know!

Thanks for the replies, I called Amtrack and they said as long as the vehicle and box are less than 88" tall it was ok, however the lady didn't sound all that sure of herself. Ruddy do you mind if I ask what size your cargo box is? Our's Is 17 cu ft and we have a Town n Country minivan. I'm not sure how well it will fit inside our van. Thanks again

We have a 2010 caravan. We drove last April with the carrier on top which held our beach chairs, umbrellas (we went to the beaches of lee county/sisters house). So when I booked next Aprils trip with the auto train (the drive was not fully enjoyable!), my dh and I realized we were going to lose that space. But at the same time my mom isn't coming with us so one less person in the car and my kids will not be sneaking a garbage bag of stuffed animals in the car and if they do they are going in the garbage.

Anyways, we have a Coleman hard carrier (can you believe it was on clearance at bjs for $29 years ago???). Dh and I folded the back row and the middle row seats, not stowed but just folded the back down. The carrier fit in the car with out a problem. We even left the luggage rack???? on it since it will be tied and taped to that as well.

We might have to empty it depending on how heavy it is before removing it.

I just need to remember a sheet and gloves because I do not wish to touch dead bugs! And a step stool or two.

Called Amtrak Rewards today and learned that you no longer need to pay for your vehicle with points but can opt to pay cash and just use reward points for your seat or room. I much rather pay $179-279 than use 15,000 points since we are saving for free family room!

I read somewhere that there are actually two separate tracks going through North Carolina or South Carolina so it is possible that the Auto Train doesn't always travel the same tracks every trip.

I read somewhere that there are actually two separate tracks going through North Carolina or South Carolina so it is possible that the Auto Train doesn't always travel the same tracks every trip.

It's however many tracks CSX has. I know some trips are bumpier than others, but the funny thing is if you ever watch a train moving over the tracks, the bumpiness sounds so loud inside, but isn't noticeable outside. It's not like the wheels are jumping off the tracks, it's the car itself moving. A lot of the bumps are when they go over crossings and there's a lot of at grade crossings the farther south you go.

I will be interested in your experience with the carrier.

Good to know!

We have a 2010 caravan. We drove last April with the carrier on top which held our beach chairs, umbrellas (we went to the beaches of lee county/sisters house). So when I booked next Aprils trip with the auto train (the drive was not fully enjoyable!), my dh and I realized we were going to lose that space. But at the same time my mom isn't coming with us so one less person in the car and my kids will not be sneaking a garbage bag of stuffed animals in the car and if they do they are going in the garbage.

Anyways, we have a Coleman hard carrier (can you believe it was on clearance at bjs for $29 years ago???). Dh and I folded the back row and the middle row seats, not stowed but just folded the back down. The carrier fit in the car with out a problem. We even left the luggage rack???? on it since it will be tied and taped to that as well.

We might have to empty it depending on how heavy it is before removing it.

I just need to remember a sheet and gloves because I do not wish to touch dead bugs! And a step stool or two.

I did a test run and was able to stuff ours in the back today with just the third row folded down, but it was a tight squeeze and was rubbing against the overhead console. Our Thule box is apparently very long. My other option is to close down one of the second row stow and go seats, but this involves removing a car seat and putting that somewhere else. I guess I will see if there is anyway we can fit all our stuff in the van without the box first. I don't see it happening though! We always use are box on road trips and have definetely gotten our $$ out of it, although it cost us alot more the $29!

Last year we were able to book with the $29 kids fares---does amtrak offer any other deals I can be on the lookout for or should I just book my auto train fare without worrying about missing a deal?

There is a summer special fare for children just about every year. It's pretty much the only deal outside of specific discounts (AAA, military, etc).

But it doesn't work for rooms, only coach ( at least last year).

Looks like the coach fares are back down for my dates in mid August. But the room fares except for roomettes are still high. Roomettes are $138 tonight.

But it doesn't work for rooms, only coach ( at least last year).

I found that the fares are cheaper before that $29 deal. I bought 11 months out, then tried to change it later when that deal came out and it wasn't really a deal.

Looks like the coach fares are back down for my dates in mid August. But the room fares except for roomettes are still high. Roomettes are $138 tonight.

I just booked my northbound return trip for July '14. It came out to the same price as the southbound trip. Finally the northbound prices came down!! :goodvibes

It pays off to check the website once a day. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter