Algae Bloom in the Carribean?

Cozumel has always had lots of Seaweed each time we are there. Its just kind of a given in my mind.

Sometimes in the summer when you go you'll find giant dunes of seaweed, it smells terrible.

Sailing the Magic from Grand Cayman back to New Orleans last week we saw super large patches of brown seaweed on the water. The gulf coast of Florida has been plagued by Red Tide algae for years & it's supposed to be very bad this year due to warmer water.

Sargassum and algae blooms are not the same. Sargassum floating in the water is not an issue for humans, and it’s rarely an issue for animals, unless it becomes very thick and they cannot break through to the surface. Large amounts of rotting sargassum on the seashore can cause human health issues, but they can also be easily avoided. One of the things that can lead to overgrowth of sargassum is fertilizer runoff. Fertilizer runoff also leads to issues with algae. The expression red tide is used, but the algae comes in a variety of colors, and sometimes doesn’t actually change the color of the water. algae blooms are dangerous to sea life and can be dangerous to humans. So, while this pattern continues, you do want to pay attention to warnings from state and federal officials about the dangers of the algae blooms. For many people, they might not even realize that an algae bloom is occurring until they see large numbers of dead fish wash up in an area. You need to consider taking care of yourself when swimming, you also need to be careful of consuming seafood in an area where algae blooms have occurred.

Here's a couple articles on the sargassum issue for the Mexican coast. In general, I don't think the eastern Caribbean islands have as big an issue.
https://thecancunsun.com/riviera-maya-braces-for-3-feet-of-sargassum-on-beaches-this-week/
https://thecancunsun.com/2023-to-be-a-record-year-for-sargassum-in-cancun-and-the-mexican-caribbean/

There is also a giant blob of sargassum traveling west in the Atlantic Ocean. It will impact the Caribbean islands in the coming months.

This past week in Cozumel there was plenty on the beach. I didn’t know it was an issue, but when we were sailing I kept seeing big clumps of it all in the ocean. I even made a comment to my husband about never noticing that much algae before.

Attachments

• 069DFA1F-2AB5-49F1-A4D3-3EE5403F40C9.jpeg
    069DFA1F-2AB5-49F1-A4D3-3EE5403F40C9.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 6A4CBC76-63B1-403B-8BD9-3954DAE5E86D.jpeg
    6A4CBC76-63B1-403B-8BD9-3954DAE5E86D.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 43
This past week in Cozumel there was plenty on the beach. I didn’t know it was an issue, but when we were sailing I kept seeing big clumps of it all in the ocean. I even made a comment to my husband about never noticing that much algae before.
What beach is that? We are booked for Nachi Cocom and it will be very unpleasant if the beach is like that.

Looks like nitrogen (fertilizer) run-off is a major cause. The one in the news right now is on the Gulf side of Florida.

I have not seen this problem at CC or the Virgin Islands. Not going to say it’s not a possibility without further research of past years.

Also, haven’t read it mentioned here in the forum.

Beaches (and water) in Mexico do have a lot of seaweed (or other aquatic vegetation) and often are not raked as much as Disney does on CC, perhaps.
That is called red tide and is not the same thing

What beach is that? We are booked for Nachi Cocom and it will be very unpleasant if the beach is like that.
Not sure, we did an excursion and I took photos driving on the bus. We passed several miles of beach front and it mostly all looked like that though.

The higher quality resorts reportedly pay their staff or third-party services to clear their beaches regularly. Since Nachi Cocom is one of the few resorts in the area I can name, I'm going to guess they are included in that group. Unfortunately, if their neighbors aren't also paying for the cleanup, the smell will be there, and I don't know what's near Nachi Cocom.

There was a lot of seaweed in the water at Playa Mia at Cozumel. Never been before so idk if it's always like that but you couldn't put your hand in the water and pull it out without bits of seaweed on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter