Alcohol carry-on questions for cruisers

professorandmom

My favorite girls!
Let's use this thread to seek answers from current cruisers on their experiences with the changing carry-on alcohol policies beginning tomorrow September 30. For example, how is the screening process handled? Is hard cider permitted like beer? Hopefully some folks will add questions and then current cruisers will help us know how things go...
Thanks in advance

Time will tell!!! I would also be interested to see how they handle things going forward.

MJ

beginning tomorrow September 30. For example, how is the screening process handled?

Pretty sure no one is going to know that, outside of the people in charge of it, until tomorrow. :)

Officially cider isn't allowed, as it isn't wine and it isn't beer. But I sure would take it, if I liked cider. I would be comfy with the bet they won't be checking THAT carefully.

I am hoping for some insights from Magic cruisers today and Dream cruisers tomorrow...looking for descriptions of practice so we can stop theoretical discussions....
I also hoped we might avoid a rehash of the policy itself--just anxious to hear how the new protocols are implemented....
Thanks in advance!!

What exactly is the new protocol? I will be on my first DC in December. Is it 2 bottles of wine per person in your carry on? Has anyone ever packed alcohol in there luggage that gets checked?

What exactly is the new protocol? I will be on my first DC in December. Is it 2 bottles of wine per person in your carry on? Has anyone ever packed alcohol in there luggage that gets checked?
DCL policy is beverages must be in your carry on bags. If you pack it, it may be confiscated.

We're unsure of the new protocol about screening, since it's effective date is today.

The policy is 2 bottles of wine OR champagne (750ml) OR 6 beers (12 oz) per person aged 21 or older on embarkation and in each port may be brought onboard.

Last edited:
I am hoping for some insights from Magic cruisers today and Dream cruisers tomorrow...looking for descriptions of practice so we can stop theoretical discussions....
I also hoped we might avoid a rehash of the policy itself--just anxious to hear how the new protocols are implemented....
Thanks in advance!!

Yes, I'm anxiously awaiting reports from the Wonder cruise out of San Diego tomorrow also. I hope that we will get some live updates soon :)

There are SO many results on Google for how to "sneak" on alcohol on other lines. I'll certainly miss bringing my little bottles of Baileys, but I wonder how many people will bring on water bottles filled with vodka!

shouldn't the first batch of cruisers have been through the boarding process by now? Come on people, get on the DISboards!!!!

shouldn't the first batch of cruisers have been through the boarding process by now? Come on people, get on the DISboards!!!!
They're probably all trying to get that first Aquaduck ride in, or standing in line for Anna & Elsa tickets, or checking out the ship, or eating lunch. I'd think that those who will come on the boards during the cruise probably won't be doing so until after the muster drill. A couple of more hours.

But, I could be wrong.

Somehow I am thinking that it may simply be not that many people are upset or care about sneaking alcohol onboard and they are busy enjoying the start of their cruise.

This was the only site I saw with a big discussion on the new policy. The others were short lived threads.

AKK

Last edited:
I saw on another site that someone on the Magic reported that security is requiring that they remove all alcohol from their bags so that it can be scanned separately.
Sorry, not much of an update. But it does sound like they are looking at little more closely than just through the x-ray machine.

I did email last week asking about other malted beverages in place off the beer (in my case, hard lemonade) and instead of an email response, a CM called and left a message for me. Answer was "No, it must say beer or ale on the label." I do still wonder why they called instead of just emailing me back.

I saw on another site that someone on the Magic reported that security is requiring that they remove all alcohol from their bags so that it can be scanned separately.
Sorry, not much of an update. But it does sound like they are looking at little more closely than just through the x-ray machine.

I did email last week asking about other malted beverages in place off the beer (in my case, hard lemonade) and instead of an email response, a CM called and left a message for me. Answer was "No, it must say beer or ale on the label." I do still wonder why they called instead of just emailing me back.
As Judge Milian says "Say it, forget it; write it, regret it".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter