Alaskan Cruises in Summer

lulucornbread

DIS Veteran
My husband and I are interested in these but afraid our kids would be bored if you can't swim. Would love to hear some feedback.

I haven't done it yet....we're going next summer, but have some friends that did it back in beginning of June and they said the weather was in the 70s and lots of people swimming in the pool. Also, there are the kids clubs, movies, shows, and all kinds of other activities on a Disney Cruise that would keep a kid from being bored.

Just came off the Alaskan cruise yesterday and there were kids (and some adults) swimming on all days but one. The pools are heated, I'm told. We didn't swim, but there was plenty of people who were! We had gorgeous weather every day but one; Travy Arm day. There's tons to do.

GREAT question OP! We have been talking about doing Alaska in two years and I'm wondering the same thing.

We will have a nearly 11 year old daughter, 8.5 year old son, and 5 year old daughter and they loved the pools on our Wonder cruise and had the "best day ever" on Castaway. The hubs and I really want to do Alaska but worry they'll be disappointed not to have the tropical island experience. Don't me wrong, I think they'll be overjoyed to be taking a cruise and I'm sure they'll appreciate any trip, but I wonder how I can sell it to them all the neat things that we can do as a family.

I keep reading about all the amazing scenery and excursions and think they'll be plenty of exciting things to keep them entertained.

Looking forward to reading other responses.

I discovered (and most parents will agree) that no matter how chilly it may be, you can't keep kids out of the pool.

My daughter likes to remind me the only time she's been in the pool on 7 cruises was on the Alaskan one we took 4 years ago.

My 11 year old daughter had a blast on our recent Disney Alaska cruise (8/3-8/10/15). She was so pre-occupied with all the activities onboard. They also have family activities that everybody can do together. My daughter did swim on Tracy Arm day, as it was beautiful. You can welcome to check out some of the pictures that I had posted. I will post more photos when I have more time. http://www.disboards.com/threads/some-photos-from-my-recent-disney-wonder-alaska-cruise.3438894/

I discovered (and most parents will agree) that no matter how chilly it may be, you can't keep kids out of the pool.

This is so true! My 8 year old either wouldn't come out of the clubs or if the slide was open, he wouldn't get out of the pool. It was a tough decision as to which thing he wanted to do. The kids had so much fun (and we did relaxing with and without them) that we must go back. I can do with out the Caribbean/Bahamian heat , we've got that as a desert heat in the summer. The cool air of Alaska was a wonderful treat. Another family we met on the cruise never saw their kids practically from morning to midnight.

Things for your kids to do: Movies on deck (probably under a blanket). Swim (the water was warmer than outside air so it wasn't unbearable). Movies inside. Kids clubs (I have no idea what the ages are of your children but there is a club or two for them). Eat lots of ice cream and pizza (I'm listing this as an activity because I think one of my children was having a food eating contest with himself). Game shows. Crafts. Dancing. Basketball. Shuffle board. Read and watch the ocean/Alaska go by.

There's more than enough to do. I think I may have been worried about it too but in the end we all had a blast.

You can tell the kids you sail on the boat with Mickey.... Hook won't have them swimming behind the boat.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter