Alaska DCL Excursions

When booking whale excursions did you find the most luck with the earliest times available or in the late morning/early afternoon times?

Thank you again for sharing. I didn't realize at icy straight point visits the same water in Juneau. Do you know what restaurant you did crab feast after whale washing?

At the moment Hubbard only has 1 time excursion which is 9am which I found weird. Do you know if you had 2 times which side started first? I have a verandah on port side and was hoping to use it to watch glacier. I even asked them what do you do there for the whole time if only one excursion time is available since it's a long day there.

I might have to revisit the one you were recommending in Juneau. I think the reason why I didn't choose that one originally because I was worried about some members in my family having to walk the 75 minutes. But I will look into it. Was it that cold being on the smaller ship with less windows? Did you find sufficient time that you can go on the tram to the top of the mountain after that excursion? Thank you for the tip about not buying in advance because I did request that in my requests.
I actually did the whale watching and bear excursion, not with the crab feast. But Icy Strait only has 3 restaurants in the port area, so I assume it's the Crab House: https://icystraitpoint.com/tour/eat/

For Hubbard, the ship pulled in and spun clockwise, so port side saw it first, but I can't say for sure they will do this every time. It depends on how close they can get with the ice in the water. Also each revolution is only about 10 minutes, so if you're on the other side you'll see it soon enough. When it comes to what you do there, mainly just look at the glacier for a few hours. Disney will have people on-board giving talks about the glacier and wildlife.

On the small whale watching boat, they could close the windows while we were moving and we were never cold. When I did the excursion we only had half a day in Juneau, so by the time we got back from the excursion it was dark. The whole excursion took 5 and a half hours and the bus could drop you right at the tram, so just check the time is begins.

As an add-on to what was previously mentioned, a benefit of booking third party for some excursions is having more time or flexibility to do exactly what you want. I was looking at the DCL excursion for whale watching + Mendenhall Glacier and was concerned with how little time you actually get at the glacier. I ended up booking a third-party tour that will do whale watching first then provides a flexible shuttle to/from Mendenhall (running every 30 minutes so we can spend as much time as we want hiking/taking photos/etc - I really didn’t want that to feel rushed and worried it would be through the DCL tour)

As an add-on to what was previously mentioned, a benefit of booking third party for some excursions is having more time or flexibility to do exactly what you want. I was looking at the DCL excursion for whale watching + Mendenhall Glacier and was concerned with how little time you actually get at the glacier. I ended up booking a third-party tour that will do whale watching first then provides a flexible shuttle to/from Mendenhall (running every 30 minutes so we can spend as much time as we want hiking/taking photos/etc - I really didn’t want that to feel rushed and worried it would be through the DCL tour).
R u able to pm me the tour group that you used? In addition, on your tour did it feel like the boat was crowded and you couldn't maneuver around? I'm worried now that DCL might have too many people on the same ship that have different excursions but will be on same boat and then won't be able to see if the captain doesn't rotate sides from what I was reading online reviews of other tour groups?

What were some popular tour companies that you used for excursions. I was looking at company Alaska shore tours. Has anyone used them before? I also found that other companies had the same times being offered for the same tour so I'm trying to find a good match that is not huge in party size.

Also is dog sledding at camp okay to experience if it's in the afternoon? Or will the dogs be too tired after running from all the morning excursions?

R u able to pm me the tour group that you used? In addition, on your tour did it feel like the boat was crowded and you couldn't maneuver around? I'm worried now that DCL might have too many people on the same ship that have different excursions but will be on same boat and then won't be able to see if the captain doesn't rotate sides from what I was reading online reviews of other tour groups?
I haven’t gone yet, so can’t speak to experience! But we’re booked with Juneau Whale Watch. Their website says they have two types of boats, one with a max capacity of 26, the other (two decks) 49. I was satisfied with those sizes that I don’t think we’ll feel overcrowded.

I was looking at company Alaska shore tours.
As far as I know, they are all boy a consolidator, not a tour operator themselves. I prefer to book with the tour company directly, usually it’s a bit cheaper and there is no middleman.

I research tours on TripAdvisor, but do not book through that site. Instead I go to the tour companies website and go from there.

We are already booked with Chilkoot Charters for a tour in Skagway. They seem to have generally very good reviews and I read some trip reports on here with people using them. But I can’t report back yet!

As far as I know, they are all boy a consolidator, not a tour operator themselves. I prefer to book with the tour company directly, usually it’s a bit cheaper and there is no middleman.

I research tours on TripAdvisor, but do not book through that site. Instead I go to the tour companies website and go from there.

We are already booked with Chilkoot Charters for a tour in Skagway. They seem to have generally very good reviews and I read some trip reports on here with people using them. But I can’t report back yet!
I am looking to book the Yukon Rail & Bus excursion with Chilkoot Charters for our cruise. We are sailing May 29-June 5. When are you sailing and what tour did you book?

I am looking to book the Yukon Rail & Bus excursion with Chilkoot Charters for our cruise. We are sailing May 29-June 5. When are you sailing and what tour did you book?
We’ll be doing that same tour, but two weeks after you (June 12-19).

We are traveling in August and booked the Yukon Klondike Adventure. We didn’t see the point in paying so much more for the train. I am sure the landscape will be beautiful from any vantage point. The train is just overpriced for what it is in my opinion. But I live in Europe and travel by train all the time, so train us not more special than a bus to me. 😉

Thank you for bringing up the topic matter on tour operator, consolidator, and then I was looking at another forum with agency. I was gonna book directly with tour operator on one of my excursions, but it looks like the tour operator doesn't mention about anything about what happens if you're not back in time by port. If I book same excursion and time with tour agency's/consolidator's it will tell you exactly what will happen. So would you still book tour. operator?

Last edited:
Thank you for bringing up the topic matter on tour operator, consolidator, and then I was looking at another forum with agency. I was gonna book directly with tour operator on one of my excursions, but it looks like the tour operator doesn't mention about anything about what happens if you're not back in time by port. If I book same excursion and time with tour agency's/consolidator's it will tell you exactly what will happen. So would you still book tour. operator?
That’s strange as all tour operators I looked at did address this question. You could always email them and ask them. It also depends on the wording with the agency. Whether it’s a meaningless general comment or whether they will actually step in and provide the help they promised and whether they are even able to do this. In my opinion any tour operator would loose their business very quickly if they brought people not back on time. So, they will all work the best to not have this happen. Of course there could be very rare circumstances where something so unforeseeable happens. That’s a risk that is imminent in all private excursions. Like a massive landslide on the one street back to the port or such.

We’ll be doing that same tour, but two weeks after you (June 12-19).
We booked this tour as well - May 22-29 cruise! One of the time’s available for the day we are in Skagway already sold out, so if you’re thinking you want to do it, don’t wait too long :)
Though Disney has pretty much the same excursion called Yukon Expedition.

Would you book Mendenhall before your trip or the on day of? Does fog play that much of a factor?

Would you book Mendenhall before your trip or the on day of? Does fog play that much of a factor?
From what I understand, you can wait to book when you arrive in Juneau. We are looking at possibly going with the Blue Bus to the Glacier which leaves every 30 min and it’s a narrated bus ride to Mendhall, costs $47.
Disney has an excursion which is pretty much just a transfer too but aboard the motor coach & runs from 8-11:30 total $64.
If we book with Disney, we are locked in 2 days before sailing I believe.
With the Blue bus you have more flexibility and can wait to book once yon arrive.
I have not been to Alaska, but I would imagine on a really foggy day the visibility, glacier viewing is reduced. I think people go there in all weather conditions though.

From what I understand, you can wait to book when you arrive in Juneau. We are looking at possibly going with the Blue Bus to the Glacier which leaves every 30 min and it’s a narrated bus ride to Mendhall, costs $47.
Disney has an excursion which is pretty much just a transfer too but aboard the motor coach & runs from 8-11:30 total $64.
If we book with Disney, we are locked in 2 days before sailing I believe.
With the Blue bus you have more flexibility and can wait to book once yon arrive.
I have not been to Alaska, but I would imagine on a really foggy day the visibility, glacier viewing is reduced. I think people go there in all weather conditions though.
Yeah I noticed DCL only has excursions in the morning to Mendenhall glacier. I was gonna do the combo of whale watching and glacier with them but then learned that it might have a lot of passengers on the ship combined with other tour groups. So I was thinking of maybe doing a a whale watch with Juneau tours since they have max of 50. But if I do a private tour with a company it would be max of 6 possibility, and it would be for 4 hours. So I was trying to see if I can do Mendenhall in the afternoon once I know what the weather is like. If it's not feasible then maybe I can have the private whale tour do pictures near the glacier.

Also how far is the Robert's tram to the cruise port? Certain excursions say to meet at that location.

Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter