Alaska cruise Port Adventures at Ketchikan.

Last year we did the crab excursion that was a boat ride and a crab lunch. We have a 6 year old so she got to help out with pulling up the crab trap and got to hold a crab. They also fed an eagle from the boat so that was neat to see close up. And there was as much crab as you wanted to eat!

What month are you sailing? If later summer (July-Sept) there may be some bear-related excursions that would be cool.

The lumberjack show is popular for those with kids. Our son is older and doesn't like loud things so we skipped it

We did a kayaking tour outside of Disney and loved it. We saw orcas from the boat that took us our kayak point.

I also considered a sea plane tour, but those are pricey.

Last year we did the crab excursion that was a boat ride and a crab lunch. We have a 6 year old so she got to help out with pulling up the crab trap and got to hold a crab. They also fed an eagle from the boat so that was neat to see close up. And there was as much crab as you wanted to eat!
We did that one in 2019 and loved it!! 🤩
In 2017 we did a jeep excursion followed by a canoe paddle. It was ok but my kids (who were 9&6 at the time) both got sick during the jeep portion as we drove over some very rocky terrain.
In 2022 we booked outside of Disney and did the Duck Boat. Sounds kind of hokey I know but it was actually a lot of fun! After that the kids went back on the ship and hubby and I went out again and did some shopping in town and had a lovely crab lunch right by the pier.

We did a floatplane tour with Island Wings; landed on a glacial lake in the middle of the Tongass Forest.

Have also done a Zodiac boat ride (self-drive) and Lumberjack show.

I have settled into a routine of walking around town, through the small Whale Park for the flowers, checking the water flow at Creek Street and then using WiFi somewhere.

I struggle with this port to be enthusiastic about it. Next time, I think I would try one of the totem excursions to get an historical slant. … and there’s also a hovercraft excursion that looks interesting.

Hmmm, maybe more promising prospects than I thought.

We did ketchikan on our own and loved it. We got a map at the visitor center and walked around and saw the totems, historic creek street, salmon run, took the funicular up to the top of the married man’s trail and walked back down it (you can walk up too instead of riding the funicular which is like $7 per person but it is a lot of steps and we had small kids and grandma with us). We watched monk seals splash around in the harbor a bit. We also bought tickets for the lumberjack show (you can buy via the cruise line or on your own) and that was fun. Our friends ate crab in town and loved it but we decided to save the money and just eat on the ship. It was very easy to do on our own even though I am usually nervous about not doing an excursion because there is no possibility of missing the ship with everything at most a 10-15 walking distance from the dock.

We did ziplining and it was a blast for my kids; they still talk about it! We also saw bears because the drive takes you away from the port.

When travelling with a family group we did enjoy the Bering Sea crab tour. Fun for all ages. We booked directly with them so it did not include the crab dinner that the Disney excursion has, but it was also quite a bit cheaper.

We have also gone halibut fishing, which my dad and brother particularly enjoyed. I also recommend the wildlife tours with Out to Sea Expeditions.

Ketchikan is also a nice little town to walk around in, if you do not want to plan a big excursion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter