Alamo: "Capacity check-Coupon is not available" error. Anyone?

mickeyfino

Mouseketeer
We're headed to WDW this weekend and I'm trying to check in online so we can skip the counter with Alamo (booked thru Costco).

I'm getting this message when trying to pull up the reservation "Capacity check - Coupon is not available". I use skip the counter all the time and have never seen this error.

I'm going to call Alamo but was wondering if anyone has run into this before? They appear to be sold out for this weekend but they should still honor my reservation, right?

I haven't had that problem. But, a warning, if you do rent a car from Alamo, get gas on your own. After we got our car from the lot, the guy at the gate asked if we wanted to fill our own gas or have them fill it. He said that their gas is cheaper than the gas around the corner or something like that. Well, he lied. I was supposed to pay $127 through Costco but got charged $180 at the end. I drove only 60 miles. The arrow on the gas meter barely moved from full. So, shame on me, will be filling my own gas the next time I rent a car before returning it.

I haven't had that problem. But, a warning, if you do rent a car from Alamo, get gas on your own. After we got our car from the lot, the guy at the gate asked if we wanted to fill our own gas or have them fill it. He said that their gas is cheaper than the gas around the corner or something like that. Well, he lied. I was supposed to pay $127 through Costco but got charged $180 at the end. I drove only 60 miles. The arrow on the gas meter barely moved from full. So, shame on me, will be filling my own gas the next time I rent a car before returning it.
Probably because he was referring to the one gas station near MCO that charges like $5/gallon. It's a racket, for sure. But, it's not called price gouging because their prices are that all the time.

Anyway, you are correct, never pay for them to fill your gas. It will never cost less than normal retail for an area. They always charge a premium.

We're headed to WDW this weekend and I'm trying to check in online so we can skip the counter with Alamo (booked thru Costco).

I'm getting this message when trying to pull up the reservation "Capacity check - Coupon is not available". I use skip the counter all the time and have never seen this error.

I'm going to call Alamo but was wondering if anyone has run into this before? They appear to be sold out for this weekend but they should still honor my reservation, right?
No, I've never seen that message. I have an Alamo rental pick up for Sunday. But I did the direct to car check in several weeks ago.

Alamo has two fuel options pay for a full tank at time of rental regardless of how much you used or pay on return that charges you for the fill up. My guess is that he charged you for the first option

OP here. I called Alamo to inquire about the error message and was told because my reservation was made through Costco, this message means I cannot do online check in/skip the counter because I need to show my Costco card at the counter. This doesn't sound right, I've done skip the counter many times before, most recently 6 weeks ago at MCO. Has something changed? I'm especially nervous because the reservation is for this weekend and Alamo at MCO is sold out.

OP here. I called Alamo to inquire about the error message and was told because my reservation was made through Costco, this message means I cannot do online check in/skip the counter because I need to show my Costco card at the counter. This doesn't sound right, I've done skip the counter many times before, most recently 6 weeks ago at MCO. Has something changed? I'm especially nervous because the reservation is for this weekend and Alamo at MCO is sold out.
I don't do Costco but it makes sense. If you are renting through them using their discount I can see where they'd want you to prove you qualify. Sort of similar to when I use a AAA discount I have to show our card to get it. Maybe they are cracking down on abuse?

Was your reservation made using (possibly automatically applied) coupon which gave you a complimentary upgrade to a higher vehicle class? It sounds like that upgrade might be if available.

Sometimes (frequently?) you can still use the self service kiosk at the airport.

I don't do Costco but it makes sense. If you are renting through them using their discount I can see where they'd want you to prove you qualify. Sort of similar to when I use a AAA discount I have to show our card to get it. Maybe they are cracking down on abuse?
That makes sense and I'm prepared to show my Costco card. I've never had to show it before and have always had it on me just in case. Maybe they flag people randomly, because I have always been able to check in/skip the counter online. Looks like I'll be doing check in at the counter this time, but that's OK as long as they have a car for me.

Was your reservation made using (possibly automatically applied) coupon which gave you a complimentary upgrade to a higher vehicle class? It sounds like that upgrade might be if available.

Sometimes (frequently?) you can still use the self service kiosk at the airport.
Not that I know of? I booked directly on the Costco Travel site, as I usually do. Alamo is able to see my reservation from their end, so I really hope there is a car available and I won't be left scrambling at the last minute.

Not that I know of? I booked directly on the Costco Travel site, as I usually do. Alamo is able to see my reservation from their end, so I really hope there is a car available and I won't be left scrambling at the last minute.
What day do you arrive? I arrive Sunday and every class of car is still showing as available. I book direct with Alamo. Maybe it's just a limit on the ones they'll alot to the discount? Not that they won't have cars, but won't book more cars at that discount rate

Have you downloaded the Alamo app? You can put in the Alamo confirmation code on it to see if you got the coupon code. The Alamo confirmation code is listed with your Costco reservation code in your Costco account.

What day do you arrive? I arrive Sunday and every class of car is still showing as available. I book direct with Alamo. Maybe it's just a limit on the ones they'll alot to the discount? Not that they won't have cars, but won't book more cars at that discount rate
We arrive tomorrow morning. Our rental is from 2/19-2/27.

Have you downloaded the Alamo app? You can put in the Alamo confirmation code on it to see if you got the coupon code. The Alamo confirmation code is listed with your Costco reservation code in your Costco account.
I don't have the app. I'll give it a try. Thank you!

We received a coupon through our Alamo Insiders account and have tried for 3 days to use it. Keep getting this message:
Error
Coupon ID not found

OP again. We arrived at MCO this morning and checked in at the counter. There was no line and it was really quick. The agent brought up my reservation with no problem, got all the paperwork filled out and off we were to pick out a car across the street in the garage. I'm still not sure what that error was about but everything went smoothly, whew.

In case anyone is interested, today's selection in the full size aisle consisted of mostly Altimas and Camrys. Two Dodge Chargers, and one Jetta.

Thanks again for chiming in to help me!

We received a coupon through our Alamo Insiders account and have tried for 3 days to use it. Keep getting this message:
Error
Coupon ID not found
I'm not sure? Maybe call them and asked them to make the booking for you?
Since I was getting that weird error message when trying to check in online and you are having issues with coupons maybe something funky is going out with coupon codes.

Thanks. I checked with them and it now works except rates are much higher than we booked two weeks ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter