AKV: Standard Vs Savannah view -- 1st timer -- pls advice.

spsk

Earning My Ears
This will be my first time staying at a Disney property. Splurging for my 3 yr old who met her end of the deal by writing her name and mine.
Still on a budget. So I am looking at renting points and found availability end of this month (3-4 nights) at AKV Kidani Village for Standard and Savannah views. I read somewhere (been reading a LOT) that 80% of the std rooms have Savannah views. Is it worth taking a chance? And is the Savannah view worth it, given that we will be spending all days at some park (4 days) and so will be not in the room mostly?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and tips folks!

My husband and I stayed at AKL in a Savannah view for our first anniversary back in 2005. I absolutely loved it. Our days began with watching the animals for a bit before heading out....I probably could have stayed all day and watched them. That being said...I was a Disney employee at the time and enjoyed a pretty hefty room discount. Now that I'm no longer an employee of the company, that discount has long disappeared and I just can't see paying the full price for a Savannah view. It might be different if we weren't spending all day long in the parks. But, for a peak at the animals basically once a day, it just isn't worth the price to me. By the time you get back to the room, it is usually too dark to see them. I haven't visited AKL in
quite some time, but when we were there, you could still see the animals grazing as you walk part of the grounds. Hope that helps with your decision!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
October 26-November 1 2013 Pop Century (me)DW36 & DH33
July 8-11 2013 Pop Century (me)DW36 & Best friend37:woohoo: (her first time!)
March 2012 Pop Century with DH33:cool1:, (me)DW36:cloud9:, nephew7pirate:, & sister29princess:

September 2008 Pop Century me, the hubby & a bunch of friends

June 2005 AKL Savannah View (me)DW36 & DH33 celebrating our 1 year anniversary

June 2004 CBR (me)DW36:bride: & DH33:groom: Honeymoon

Our family stayed in a savanna view one year and it was very nice. We spent a lot of time in our room, though and went into the parks late in order to look at the animals. The first night we had a standard view and we were looking at the parking lot.

I don't know that I would want to spend the extra money for a savanna view. There are a lot of viewing areas where you could see the animals.

I'd save the money, you are probably going to want to come back to Disney in the future, I'd just put that extra money saved into your next Disney planning fund.

You can see the animals from several viewing areas around both Kidani Village and Jambo house. :thumbsup2

I posted some photos from our trip on my wordpress blog, when we had a Sunset Savannah view.

Here is a link if you want to check out my short trip report and photos:
http://wp.me/p1RJwY-6V

I stayed in a Savannah view and didn't feel that it was worth the price, because we don't spend a lot of time in the room. Plus it was lovebug season, so we couldn't even sit on the balcony anyways, ick! I'm staying at AKL again this summer and am doing a Standard view. I think I'll be pretty happy :)

aVASTGrl said:
I stayed in a Savannah view and didn't feel that it was worth the price, because we don't spend a lot of time in the room. Plus it was lovebug season, so we couldn't even sit on the balcony anyways, ick! I'm staying at AKL again this summer and am doing a Standard view. I think I'll be pretty happy :)

Thanks all. I am going with a standard at the jumbo. Appreciate your time and thoughts!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter