AKL (pool view) VS. POFQ...HELP

Emme

DIS Veteran
We are heading to WDW the beginning of Sept. We are 3 adults (me, DH, Adult Son.) Which would you choose and please explain why. I can book AKL pool view for $546 more than POFQ garden view. We have stayed at POFQ numerous times and love it!! Love the room proximity to everything, boat to Downtown Disney, lovely grounds... AKL looks beautiful and the pool room views I looked at are just lovely. We have never stayed there though! I know AKL is pretty remote though. Any info would be so helpful! Thanks!

We are heading to WDW the beginning of Sept. We are 3 adults (me, DH, Adult Son.) Which would you choose and please explain why. I can book AKL pool view for $546 more than POFQ garden view. We have stayed at POFQ numerous times and love it!! Love the room proximity to everything, boat to Downtown Disney, lovely grounds... AKL looks beautiful and the pool room views I looked at are just lovely. We have never stayed there though! I know AKL is pretty remote though. Any info would be so helpful! Thanks!

If the extra cost is doable and you want to try something new, I'd go with AKL. We've never stayed at POFQ, but we love AKL for many reasons:

- beautiful lobby/grounds
- Boma
- Mara has a good variety for quick CS meals/snacks
- nice pool
- plenty of animal viewing areas around the resort
- interior corridors

I do agree that AKL is sort of isolated, but we've never had a problem with the buses. We visit every trip to eat at Boma (even when we don't stay there) and getting to/from AKL has never been an issue for us. In our experience, we've found it to take maybe an extra 5 minutes to get around compared to other resorts. Since the buses only go to AKL & Kidani, there's no sharing with any other resort(s). Good luck deciding. Hope you have a great trip :wizard:.

For me, Animal Kingdom Lodge is only worth it if I get a savanna view room. We hang out on the balcony and watch the animals and find the hotel to be so unique and beautiful. But it is far from everything except Animal Kingdom. If I could only do pool view I'd choose the cheaper hotel and take the bus over to the hotel one day to explore and enjoy a meal there.

Have stayed at both and would definitely choose AKL in the extra $$ is not an issue.

Bigger rooms
Nicer rooms
Better food options
Better pools
Animals
A destination in and of itself

As far as being remote, the only destination it is remote from is MK. Other than MK, AKL is closer to every other destination than the MK area resorts yet nobody says the MK resorts are too remote.

Have stayed at both and would definitely choose AKL in the extra $$ is not an issue.

Bigger rooms
Nicer rooms
Better food options
Better pools
Animals
A destination in and of itself

As far as being remote, the only destination it is remote from is MK. Other than MK, AKL is closer to every other destination than the MK area resorts yet nobody says the MK resorts are too remote.

Interesting. I’ve never looked at a map of Disney property. I wonder why people feel it’s so “far away” when it’s really not. Makes me feel better about our first stay there later this year. Thanks for the information.

I have stayed at AKL 3 times with a 4th booked this June. Haven’t done French Quarter but have done Riverside.

If the extra money isn’t that big of a issue, I vote AKL. It’s a beautiful resort, the extra room in the guest room is nice especially with three adults. There is a partial wall the blocks the bathroom and bedroom area with double sinks outside the enclosed toilet/shower tub room.

The dining is subperb with Boma, Jiko, Saana at Kidani and the Mara is a nice QS. Victoria Falls is nice bar area above Boma and the pool has a bar too.

You also have interior corridors so when it’s jungle hot in September you can cut through the resort inside the AC.

The bus transportation isn’t that bad. It’s like 5 minutes to AK, around 30 to MK with Epcot & HS falling in between AK & MK.

There are plenty of viewing areas for the animals.

The thing with poolview (anywhere) is that they're loud...while I'd love to stay in AKL, I won't stay poolview.

The thing with poolview (anywhere) is that they're loud...while I'd love to stay in AKL, I won't stay poolview.
I have done pool view twice. Third floor and 4th floor. There aren’t any rooms on the ground floor by the pool and pool isn’t directly up against the hotel.

It’s not too bad noise wise.

I've stayed at both and like everyone else, choose AKL. The one reason that hasn't been mentioned is having a balcony.

The good thing is, either choice is excellent. Never have been to POFQ (but have POR) and found it to be a beautiful resort that can really challenge some of the deluxes in a lot of ways. You've been there, so you already know that. AKL is also beautiful. I wouldn't get too hung up on its remoteness; I doubt the overall bus time will go up much. The only thing I can think of that you'll miss would be the boat to Disney Springs. I guess I'd answer you by saying go with AKL if you're looking to do something different or you don't mind the added cost. If you decide on POFQ - still a good decision.

Differing opinion here _ I'd go with POFQ! LOVELY, quiet, SMALL resort with nice food court and fun pool. AKL pool view was too noisy for me and going to Mara was a bit of an ordeal. You also have easy access to POR food court which IMHO is the best on WDW property. I found the AKL rooms small (for the price paid) and so dark. If you plan numerous sitdown meals at the resort, then AKL is the way to go.

I completely forgot about the noise factor. Often it's not too bad, depending on what floor you're on and if there's vegetation between you and the pool (one time I had a huge tree right in front of the balcony). However, I remember one time when the noise was such that I was glad DH wasn't with me. I sleep like a rock, don't hear anything, but he's a very light sleeper, and the sounds from the pool (I could hear just before I fell asleep)would have kept him awake.

AKL!! AKL!!! AKL!!!

Balcony, interior corridors, great lobby, everything under one roof, interesting gift shop, Boma (yummy buffet), Mara (yummy QS), Jiko (WOW! Signature TS).

Sure, its further from the MK, but close to everything else. AND its only an extra 5-10 minute bus ride to the MK. Not bad at all, IMO.

2 amazing pools (one at Jambo, one at Kidani). Pool view is pretty and there are lots of public animal viewing areas.

So peaceful, so beautiful, so worth the extra $$$.

We LOVE AKL!

Another vote for AKL. ALTHOUGH...
POFQ was our go-to resort until we stay at AKL. AKL was so spectacular that we ended up buying DVC there. So. It could get really expensive. LOL. We fell in love with AKL for all of the reasons mentioned above. The buses are excellent and plentiful. The restaurants are just unique enough to make them interesting. There is a shuttle that runs continuously between Jambo House and Kidani. Occasionally, late in the evening, we go to the bar at Sanaa (in Kidani) and have a drink along with their bread service.

Last summer we ended up leaving POFQ and moving to AKL in a pool view room. Totally worth it.

There was nothing wrong with POFQ and we had stayed there before but we were really missing the deluxe experience.

I love both so here is my thought I would only spend the extra if I had resort time planned, there is so much to see and do at the AKL.

Check out homeatrosewood on Instagram, they have pictures of the room refurbs currently happening at AKL and they look REALLY nice, if that makes any difference to you. Brand new bathrooms the lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter