AKL “lost rooms” and making us move!!

txdisneymama

Earning My Ears
I got a call today that they are bumping us from our AKL 1br villa. First they tried to put us at Boardwalk, but I told them the bed set up does not work. (We need three separate beds.) Then they called back and tried to move us to a 2bed at SSR. I said no. We have stayed at SSR before and it’s fine, but we were so looking forward to AKL and it’s just not the same.

Has this ever happened to anyone? I didn’t know they could bump you out of your resort less than 24 hours of arrival. I am kind of flabbergasted and I feel like the CM I have been dealing with has been sort of curt about the issue. I am not normally one to demand anything, but it feels like we should be upgraded for the inconvenience, not just moved to a comparable resort. I booked AKL specifically for the experience of AKL and it’s a let down to find out we can’t stay there bc Disney messed up their reservations.

Unfortunately if you read all of the fine print, when you book a Disney resort even the resort you stay at is subject to change. Could be they had some rooms become unfit for to be occupied, and they have to move guests. And no, I wouldn't expect an upgrade because of it. Doesn't hurt to ask though! Is there a resort you have in mind? I wouldn't be shy about asking.

I got a call today that they are bumping us from our AKL 1br villa. First they tried to put us at Boardwalk, but I told them the bed set up does not work. (We need three separate beds.) Then they called back and tried to move us to a 2bed at SSR. I said no. We have stayed at SSR before and it’s fine, but we were so looking forward to AKL and it’s just not the same.

Has this ever happened to anyone? I didn’t know they could bump you out of your resort less than 24 hours of arrival. I am kind of flabbergasted and I feel like the CM I have been dealing with has been sort of curt about the issue. I am not normally one to demand anything, but it feels like we should be upgraded for the inconvenience, not just moved to a comparable resort. I booked AKL specifically for the experience of AKL and it’s a let down to find out we can’t stay there bc Disney messed up their reservations.
A 2BR isn't an upgrade from a 1BR?

I understand your disappointment but since AKL is closed and only the DVC side is open, there may not be a room to move you to if a maintenance issue arises (which is what this could be since they're calling on such short notice). DVC rooms tend to operate at full capacity year-round.

Instead of digging in and insisting on a room at AKL that the CM cannot possibly offer to you, perhaps you can prepare a short list of acceptable substitutions for them to move you to. I would put a Poly bungalow at the top of that list and see where that goes. But that's just me.

Ask about 1 bedroom at the Riviera Resort. They should have plenty availabilty. Or a 2bedroom at Boardwalk...
Castmember was just taking the easy way out by suggesting SSR.
I would not want to stay at SSR . Currently the boats are not operating from SSR to Disney Springs....Are you waiting for a callback?

Last edited:

Ask about 1 bedroom at the Riviera Resort. They should have plenty availabilty. Or a 2bedroom at Boardwalk...
Castmember was just taking the easy way out by suggesting SSR.
I would not want to stay at SSR . Currently the boats are not operating from SSR to Disney Springs....Are you waiting for a callback?
I like the RIV suggestion! But a 2BR at BWV would probably be a hard "no". All 2BRs at BWV are lockoffs, meaning that they are a studio + 1BR with a connecting door. The studios are probably all booked up at this point.

I just checked the current availability for cash booking online.... looks like not much available... Can’t they bump a different family? Hah
Sorry this is happening.

and I just checked availabilty on DVC site ...Nothing not even Bungalows or Cabins....

At this point ask them if the 2 bedroom can be close to hospitality house at SSR.... or whatever is a desirable location...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback and reality check. I am not normally one to ask for an upgrade, it just seemed odd that the CM was like “too bad, so sad.” Where’s the Disney magic in that?! 😜 I didn’t think of it being a maintenance issue ... she actually mentioned being oversold. Fair point that a 2br is an upgrade. I guess I was thinking more like a guaranteed boarding group for RotR. Haha! Kidding. Kind of.

I would still push for another 2BR at any resort or honestly go for the gold and ask for a bungalow at the Poly. They usually have those available.

Honestly they screwed you over with very little notice, it doesn’t hurt to ask.

Do you have to move for your whole trip? Moving can be a pain, but if you really really wanted AKL, would there be an open room say in two days?

Did you have a standard or savanna room view. Even though a two bedroom at SSR is an upgrade, I'd be so upset to lose AKL.

I didn’t know they could bump you out of your resort less than 24 hours of arrival.
They can even walk you at arrival to a different resort as late as when you arrive. How did you book, DVC or Cash?

No availability at Kadini Village? You might consider a having them split your visit to 2 resorts to see if they can get you into AKL for part of your visit.

Dave

Both SSR and AKV are Deluxe.

But (don't hate on me for saying it) SSR feels more like a Moderate Resort.

Staying at AKV (Jambo or Kidani) is a treat.
Yikes! Perhaps my bias has always made me think Saratoga is not the same. They are not comparable, I’m sorry.

That said I had a two bedroom at AKL and it was down due to some similar issue (this was late 2019) and they moved us to the ludicrous suite Neil Patrick Harris stayed at - and it we didn’t have to ask for it. It was offered.

I’m starting to rethink a late July trip to WDW - I don’t want to be randomly nickel and dimed.

Both SSR and AKV are Deluxe.

But (don't hate on me for saying it) SSR feels more like a Moderate Resort.

Staying at AKV (Jambo or Kidani) is a treat.
With so very little open at AKV right now, SSR can be a much nicer stay. The biggest complaint at AKV right now is the lack of food options. At SSR, you have all of Disney Springs within walking distance of your room. They are almost finished renovations at SSR, and the OP stands A very good chance of getting one of the updated rooms.

I understand the lack of love for SSR because until this past year, I would count myself in that group. But after staying at my beloved BWV last October when they rolled the sidewalks up at 6 PM, it sure would have been nice to have the option of taking a short walk to a place like Disney Springs for some music, drinks and a meal.

Yikes! Perhaps my bias has always made me think Saratoga is not the same. They are not comparable, I’m sorry.

That said I had a two bedroom at AKL and it was down due to some similar issue (this was late 2019) and they moved us to the ludicrous suite Neil Patrick Harris stayed at - and it we didn’t have to ask for it. It was offered.

I’m starting to rethink a late July trip to WDW - I don’t want to be randomly nickel and dimed.
IMO, the distinquishing factor between Moderate and Deluxe (besides room size) is the balcony.

Deluxe Resort rooms such as those at SSR have balconies.

With so very little open at AKV right now, SSR can be a much nicer stay. The biggest complaint at AKV right now is the lack of food options. At SSR, you have all of Disney Springs within walking distance of your room. They are almost finished renovations at SSR, and the OP stands A very good chance of getting one of the updated rooms.

I understand the lack of love for SSR because until this past year, I would count myself in that group. But after staying at my beloved BWV last October when they rolled the sidewalks up at 6 PM, it sure would have been nice to have the option of taking a short walk to a place like Disney Springs for some music, drinks and a meal.
SSR is a nice resort but its theming is relatively subtle. Let's face it, a major reason to stay onsite is to be immersed in the "Disney Bubble". The Moderates and Values all have pretty good (some even over-the-top) theming.

I've stayed in a few SSR buildings that felt more like an apartment complex.

But it was cool seeing Disney Springs from my balcony at night!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter