AK yesterday ---- dog in a stroller!!!

What is so hard about telling some one "No"? Seems pretty simple to me. The law is not on the purse pet's side. It can be dangerous for a business to allow a non service pet. And I think in Fl claiming a dog is a service animal when it isn't is a felony.

Because I go back to my earlier post. If you tell them no you (Disney) is making the determination what is or isn't a service dog. Which seems to go against the ADA.

Your three questions:

A business CAN ask 1)If you are disabled. 2) Is this your service animal. 3) What is the animal TRAINED to do.

Is not going to work for people who are determined to get their pet into a park.

You would have to post a certified service animal, if one exists, at every entrance.

does this really matter... in the whole scheme of things really service dogs or not does it really matter... did it ruin everyone's day or vacation .. believe me people get caught sooner or later doing things that they know are wrong and when they do I laugh....:rotfl2:, but to go around and let the things like , oh my god is that a service dog...or is it not...really i just go about my business.

:thumbsup2

DLR has the famous pink poodle. it brings a service woman with it.

a man told my mom she couldn't bring that ape in the store. she yelled at him and said it was her son

Just like everything else, the "service dog" :rolleyes: thing has been taken advantage of. It's just another way for people to skate the system to take their dogs places. It's also cruel to wheel around an animal in the 90 degree weather. What do they do with the dog when they go on the rides?

Aside from the blind and people with serious medical issues, dogs do not belong in theme parks. In addition, I feel bad for those who suffer with anxiety - I do, but wouldn't it make sense to find a destination with perhaps, ummm, less crowds? I'm sorry, I don't buy the I need my anxiety dog with me while I ride Dumbo.

Who do I put my request in to get a special restraint for my Newfoundland on Soarin? Wonder if he'll fit on the Peter Pan boat?

Because I go back to my earlier post. If you tell them no you (Disney) is making the determination what is or isn't a service dog. Which seems to go against the ADA.

Your three questions:

Is not going to work for people who are determined to get their pet into a park.

You would have to post a certified service animal, if one exists, at every entrance.

I think you are missing something here.

In the case of the woman insisting her out of control "Comfort animal" be allowed to remain in the park-

1) Comfort animals are not allowed public access under the ADA. By her own admission (that it was a comfort animal) WDW or any other business had the right to tell her no. Simple.

2) Bolded part-I do not understand.

3) It really is very simple. At the entrance to a park, all that needs to happen is for a CM to ask the allowable questions. (If needs not visable per the law).

If the person lies (which some people will do) and the animal becomes out of control later-they may be charged with a Felony. Either way WDW has followed the law. All they need to do is call the police. Any business that allows the law to be broken can be held responsible.

Whether or not the dog was actually a service dog, doesn't it seem really strange to have a dog in a stroller in the first place? I never understood the concept. Modern dogs have been around for thousands of years without our assistance. Putting a dog in a stroller is often pretty asinine and actually pretty cruel, kinda like stuffing one into a purse. I just don't get it. And on top of that, how could a service dog actually assist if it is stored away in a stroller? Come on people. For the last time, I know that your dog is like your "child", but dogs aren't people. They're animals, and the way people get over these creatures drives me bonkers sometimes.

This was a topic just this past week on the Disney Cruise Disboards forum. Someone posted this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-NXCu_V118

The topic of dogs and potty issues also was brought up. Apparently there is a plastic, child's swimming pool filled with dirt & grass on one of the verandahs that the dogs use.

I'm not real familiar with service dogs behavior, but that one seems very very energetic and high strung. The few that I have seen were always well behaved and stayed right next to the owner not run all over the place and jump on people.

I'm not real familiar with service dogs behavior, but that one seems very very energetic and high strung. The few that I have seen were always well behaved and stayed right next to the owner not run all over the place and jump on people.

I wondered the same thing. The post did say that it was a dog in training but i dont think a disney cruise is the right place to train, and maybe i'm too ocd but i most ceratinly wouldmt want mickey or any other of the other characters touching me after they have toucehd that dog, no offense but im alllergic (not taht allergic as others) but sometimes my arms break out and i just find it gross all around.

Young puppies do need to be socialized. However, I agree that pup looked a little too old to be that out of control.

To add one more thing.......Maybe the person who had the dog in the stroller (assuming that is was a service dog) didn't want all the little kids coming up to it and drawing attention. The dog was still close enough to them to fulfill the need but not to draw attention to it.... So if and when i see a dog stroller in the park I let it slide.. I came to enjoy a park with my family not to be crowd control.

I don't know how a SD in a stroller could assist either. It can't get to the person, or smell the person...how can it give a signal or perform any service in a stroller? Unless it's only removed for episodes...and the owners felt the animal was safer kenneled.

Some children/adults have SD's with Type 1 Diabetes. The dogs are able to smell when the child's blood sugar is dropping and can retrieve and deliever a blood meter so the child can check. As well as signal for help and other tasks. Not all diabetics are able to sense when their sugars are dropping, which can lead to seizures and other very serious complications. The work these dogs do is very important, but the challenges the owners have to face to get them accomidated is dauting.

Thank you, that one I had not heard of!! Especially interesting because a child we know was just this week diagnosed with Type 1, he's 8.

If a dog is allowed in a park and then bites someone, can the company be held liable? I wonder about that.

I would think so. And it seems it wouldn't be an issue with service dogs, but these other folks and their "comfort" animals or just plain lying - could be an issue. I'm not a litiginous person at all, but if my child were at Disney, just going about their fun, going on rides, etc, and got bit by someone's dog, I'd be pi****! And if it were bad enough to warrant serious medical attention - I think I'd be suing - the dog owner and the park!

Sorry but no one can ask for a service dog's credentials, your company could have been in really big trouble for doing so had someone chosen to persue it. It is very clearly stated in the ADA that they are not allowed to ask, however, if a service dog is shown to be disruptive, the dog can be asked to leave.

My bad. Things change over the years I guess. What's acceptable that is. Politically correct. Even legal. We sure didn't let a dog in the restaurant without a card, but that was a long time ago. Wow. I'm sure those who have legit service dogs would love for guidelines to be in place.

If it was a tiny little "service dog" in a pink stoller, I saw it at AK earlier this week...no comment.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
yep! I didn't see anything referring to a service dog though. and they zipped by too fast for me to snap a pic.

I think you are missing something here.

In the case of the woman insisting her out of control "Comfort animal" be allowed to remain in the park-

1) Comfort animals are not allowed public access under the ADA. By her own admission (that it was a comfort animal) WDW or any other business had the right to tell her no. Simple.

2) Bolded part-I do not understand.

3) It really is very simple. At the entrance to a park, all that needs to happen is for a CM to ask the allowable questions. (If needs not visable per the law).

If the person lies (which some people will do) and the animal becomes out of control later-they may be charged with a Felony. Either way WDW has followed the law. All they need to do is call the police. Any business that allows the law to be broken can be held responsible.

The point I'm making is that its up to the guest to determine if or if not an animal is a service animal not Disney. Your 3 questions are not being asked by my mythical certified service animal examiner at every entrance (forgot to add the examiner part in my pp, I was rushing out to get to the Pitt game, Pitt 20 Louisville 3 :cool1:). So while there may be penalties if someone lies, but since no one is checking unless the dog acts up it will never be caught. Are the police trained to do this, the courts? Its seems like its a very gray area that no one wants to touch.

We are saying the same thing its just there no magic questions to ask to figure this out.

I'm not a litiginous person at all, but if my child were at Disney, just going about their fun, going on rides, etc, and got bit by someone's dog, I'd be pi****! And if it were bad enough to warrant serious medical attention - I think I'd be suing - the dog owner and the park!
I'm not the type to sue but I think that I agree in this case. I think that it's reasonable to assume that one wouldn't be attacked by a dog at a themepark so if it happened, I would be pretty upset too.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
yep! I didn't see anything referring to a service dog though. and they zipped by too fast for me to snap a pic.
I have seen a 'service dog' in a pink stoller at AK too. I first noticed it when we on the bridge coming in to Africa and a person was coming out of Africa pushing a rather strange looking stroller with a screen across the front. What made me really notice it was that the dog in the stroller was barking and growling at the people as they passed by. We encountered that dog several more times during the day and it did the same thing each time.
So, if it was a Service Dog, CMs would have been justified telling them they could not have the animal in the park because it was disruptive and out of control

stargazertechie
Quote:
Originally Posted by budmonster
Young puppies do need to be socialized. However, I agree that pup looked a little too old to be that out of control.
It' hard to say what that dog would be like normally because it may have been released, and, so not working when the videos were being taken. Even so, it was not really in good control (dragging the woman is not allowed any time).
The point of taking a Service Dog in training out is to train it to act like a Service Dog is supposed to act when out in public - our trainer told us that one of the Service Dog's main jobs is to be invisible.

Edited to add: I read some of the comments posted by the person who took the YouTube video of the dog on the cruise. They were puppy raisers to get the dog ready for further training. From what she wrote, their aim for the trip appeared to be socialization, not behavior.
They wrote that they were taking their next puppy on a trip to Spain. Hope they researched that since I remember reading things about dogs needing to be quarantined when arriving in other countries and coming back to the US.

My bad. Things change over the years I guess. What's acceptable that is. Politically correct. Even legal. We sure didn't let a dog in the restaurant without a card, but that was a long time ago. Wow. I'm sure those who have legit service dogs would love for guidelines to be in place.

While I know some individuals probably would like to have guidelines in place, others certainly would not, partially because it gets too complicated. Also like I stated before my friend trained his dog to be his service dog, either because his insurance wouldn't pay for one or the waiting list was too long. A PP mentioned it was 15,000 dollars for hers, so unless you can afford it on your own, you are able to get funding, or your insurance will cover it you are SOL. Secondly, once you start to put guidelines in place they can get more and more stringent, and people would still cheat the system anyways. It's sort of like driving a car, if you are doing it one would assume you had a license, however thousands of people get in thier cars everday without having one and never get caught. We are probably no closer to fixing that problem than this one.

To the PP that mentioned they saw a "service dog" running around jumping on people, while for the most part you are correct SD's are usually well trained and stay close to thier handler, if the dog is not "working" they can be just as obnoxious as a regular dog. Most handlers will give the dog a break and allow them to just be a dog for awhile. Not saying that was the case, just saying that it could be the case.

The point I'm making is that its up to the guest to determine if or if not an animal is a service animal not Disney. Your 3 questions are not being asked by my mythical certified service animal examiner at every entrance (forgot to add the examiner part in my pp, I was rushing out to get to the Pitt game, Pitt 20 Louisville 3 :cool1:). So while there may be penalties if someone lies, but since no one is checking unless the dog acts up it will never be caught. Are the police trained to do this, the courts? Its seems like its a very gray area that no one wants to touch.

We are saying the same thing its just there no magic questions to ask to figure this out.

No, I don't think we are saying the same thing. There are LEGAL questions to ask for a business to determine if an animal is a service animal. There is no need for a "mythical certified service animal examiner".

If Disney asked comfort dog lady at the gate, "is this your service animal?" and she says "no it is a comfort dog". The dog goes to the kennel.

If Disney asked comfort dog lady at the gate "is this your service animal?" and she says "yes but then later starts yelling that this is her "comfort" animal". Lady has comitted a felony.

No, I don't think we are saying the same thing. There are LEGAL questions to ask for a business to determine if an animal is a service animal. There is no need for a "mythical certified service animal examiner".

If Disney asked comfort dog lady at the gate, "is this your service animal?" and she says "no it is a comfort dog". The dog goes to the kennel.

If Disney asked comfort dog lady at the gate "is this your service animal?" and she says "yes but then later starts yelling that this is her "comfort" animal". Lady has comitted a felony.
Every time we have entered Walmart with DD's Service Dog, we are asked "Is that a Service Dog?"
DD is in a wheelchair and her dog is right next to her, wearing his bright red SD vest and behaving himself very nicely.
So, there are places that ask.

But if they say the magic words "Service Animal" the conversation ends. Again its not the business that is allowed to say it is or isn't a service animal its the guest.

Every time we have entered Walmart with DD's Service Dog, we are asked "Is that a Service Dog?"
DD is in a wheelchair and her dog is right next to her, wearing his bright red SD vest and behaving himself very nicely.
So, there are places that ask.

But they don't have to have a vest and even if they did, no one controls who gets one. I think you can just order one from ebay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter