• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Airplane - Headphones / Earbuds?

Blackadder337

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

I would like to hear from people who have travelled in all sections of the planes (that you can legally travel in), but especially by the engines.

If you were travelling with a tablet or iphone as your source of entertainment, have you found that the Apple earbuds are good enough to let you hear your stuff over the plane noises?

I have some now but I've never flown with them. Last time I flew, I had some generic ear buds that didn't really fit IN my ears like the Apple ones do and I found the generic ones were not good enough.

Should I be investing in some over the ear headphones or will i be ok with these?

If you could also let me know approximately what section of the plane you were in that would help too! Thanks!

Last edited:
They would be fine. I use mine when I take the bus and I think the car noise and people would be louder than the engine noise. I have no problem hearing my music and no one acts Like they are hearing my music too.

Loud enough to drown out crying babies next to me...

I've never noticed engine noise being a problem.

Apple earbuds are ok. But Bose noise-cancelling headphones are heavenly, IMO. I'm very sensitive to noise and plane noise really bothers me. I put my Bose on before takeoff, turn on the noise-cancelling, and I'm good to go. If they're within your budget definitely check them out.

I use earbuds myself and have had no issue with noise. One benefit I have found with the earbuds is that they seem to help me with the ear and sinus pain I usually experience during descent and landing. I'm not sure how or why this happens, but I love that it does because it certainly makes it all much less painful for me overall.

Airplanes are very quiet in my opinion. Any earbuds or headphones would most definitely cancel any noise you may hear.

Only reason I got wireless headphones was because I kept getting tangled in them during flights when I was in the aisle seat and had a restless toddler in the window seat Every time they got up to go for a walk, I'd take out my apple headphones and then they'd be all knotted by the time I put them back in. Noise wise? Fine enough that she had to keep tapping my shoulder because I couldn't hear her when she spoke to me.

The Apple ear buds are too hard for me, and I had problems hearing them when I was flying just behind the wing, so I'd press them into my ears to hear and ended up with very sore ears. I ended up going with the soft cup style earbuds and found a good affordable pair that I love!

They're actually listed on Amazon under phone headsets, but they've got better sound than the Kliptsch earbuds I bought my husband, and work great (at a great price too!)

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX10...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Something you can do to "upgrade" a set of earbuds if you find the noise distracting is to pick up some silicone putty moldable earplugs, the kind meant for swimming. $4 at Walmart for 6 prs., the pack is about the size of a matchbox. If you are getting sound incursion around the earbuds, you can form the plug around the outside of your earbud (in the shell of your ear) to form an extra barrier -- works like a charm.

I have a pair of Audio-Technica buds. Powered by a single AA battery. They do a great job on a plane. I also use them when we drive our very loud open-cockpit car to our annual gathering in the Smokeys. 600 miles. It would literally be impossible without them. We leave this weekend!

I fly to WDW twice a year and went from Baltimore to Hawaii last year. I used my earbuds (Sony, Apple earbuds are too big for my ears) and was fine. Over-the-ear probably would have cancelled out more noise, but they give me a headache after a while.

Hi all,

I would like to hear from people who have travelled in all sections of the planes (that you can legally travel in), but especially by the engines.

If you were travelling with a tablet or iphone as your source of entertainment, have you found that the Apple earbuds are good enough to let you hear your stuff over the plane noises?

I have some now but I've never flown with them. Last time I flew, I had some generic ear buds that didn't really fit IN my ears like the Apple ones do and I found the generic ones were not good enough.

Should I be investing in some over the ear headphones or will i be ok with these?

If you could also let me know approximately what section of the plane you were in that would help too! Thanks!

I can't hear anything with earbuds (apple or generic) anywhere on the plane.

Hi all,

I always have my Apple earbuds with me, but if I'm on a smaller plane I generally need to crank the volume all the way up to drown out the engine/ambient noise. So, if you're traveling on a smaller plane, I'd recommend over the ear or noise canceling headphones.

I use earbuds and then my Husqvarna lawn earmuffs over them. I might look strange, but it's quiet. :)

I found my Apple earbuds fine, although my big flights were on a 787 which is quieter.

I have sat on, behind, and in front of the engines and the buds presented to problem in hearing. You will be fine!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter