Air travel policy updates

According to the Canadian government website it says:

“When and where to get a negative pre-entry test result
If you're flying to Canada, you must take a test within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your flight to Canada. Airlines will refuse boarding to travellers who are unable to provide a valid molecular test result.”

We are going to WDW at the end of August.

Originally our plan was to get our Walgreens NAAT test closer to 48 hours prior to our flight.

Now with the surge, I’m thinking I want to get it closer to 72 hours, to lessen the chances of a positive outcome.

Question, if I get a negative test 72 hours prior to my scheduled departure time, and then there’s a change of the departure time (on the day of the flight) that pushes me outside of the 72 hours, am I allowed on the flight?

Anyone know?

If I read the rule “literally” I think yes, but I may be wrong, and do I really want to chance it??

Hence my query.

Thanks!

According to the Canadian government website it says:

“When and where to get a negative pre-entry test result
If you're flying to Canada, you must take a test within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your flight to Canada. Airlines will refuse boarding to travellers who are unable to provide a valid molecular test result.”

We are going to WDW at the end of August.

Originally our plan was to get our Walgreens NAAT test closer to 48 hours prior to our flight.

Now with the surge, I’m thinking I want to get it closer to 72 hours, to lessen the chances of a positive outcome.

Question, if I get a negative test 72 hours prior to my scheduled departure time, and then there’s a change of the departure time (on the day of the flight) that pushes me outside of the 72 hours, am I allowed on the flight?

Anyone know?

If I read the rule “literally” I think yes, but I may be wrong, and do I really want to chance it??

Hence my query.

Thanks!
Air Canada told me the test would be valid if I take it 72h before the scheduled flight, even if there was a last minute change (after the 72h).

So I just read a post by a popular travel blogger (known as The Points Guy) who flew from Chicago to Toronto yesterday. Due to a weather delay his flight did not depart until 4 hours after his scheduled departure time. This put his Covid test outside of the 72 hour window and it was NOT a problem. So yes it goes by "scheduled" departure, if your flight is delayed you will still be fine.

So I just read a post by a popular travel blogger (known as The Points Guy) who flew from Chicago to Toronto yesterday. Due to a weather delay his flight did not depart until 4 hours after his scheduled departure time. This put his Covid test outside of the 72 hour window and it was NOT a problem. So yes it goes by "scheduled" departure, if your flight is delayed you will still be fine.
That is good to know. All the timing of tests and the changes or cancellation of flights i pushing us towards driving down to California if the fall if borders are open and cases are not horrible

Air Canada told me the test would be valid if I take it 72h before the scheduled flight, even if there was a last minute change (after the 72h).

Thank you both very much for your responses! That's quite helpful.

For those using Walgreens for a NAAT test. Here's what I'm finding.

1. Your ability to choose a test date is down from 3 to 2 days - but in truth, it's really just 1 day --- because getting a test scheduled the day-of (i.e. the same day) is not really available.

2. The website booking times seem to refresh at 10pm. So for example. If your plan is get a NAAT test on a Wednesday, my suggestion ... log into your Walgreens account at 10:01pm on the Monday - that's when Wednesday refreshes.

I can't guarantee this is correct, but based on what I'm seeing/testing (no pun intended :laughing: ) - it seems to check out.

Hope this helps somebody.

Cheers

Last edited:

Thank you both very much for your responses! That's quite helpful.

For those using Walgreens for a NAAT test. Here's what I'm finding.

1. Your ability to choose a test date is down from 3 to 2 days - but in truth, it's really just 1 day --- because getting a test scheduled the day-of (i.e. the same day) is not really available.

2. The website booking times seem to refresh at 10pm. So for example. If your plan is get a NAAT test on a Wednesday, my suggestion ... log into your Walgreens account at 10:01pm on the Monday - that's when Wednesday refreshes.

I can't guarantee this is correct, but based on what I'm seeing/testing (no pun intended :laughing: ) - it seems to check out.

Hope this helps somebody.

Cheers

It appears things at Walgreens have changed once again ... it looks like the lead time to book a test has in fact increased by a day.

The refresh of 10pm seems to be the same, but the lead time has increased by 1 day, so 3 days in total. This is the experience I'm seeing now.

Keeping with the same example above, if Wednesday is your desired testing date, log in/book your appointment on the Sunday (i.e. not the Monday).

You may want to double check / do a test run or two, I'd say a week before you leave Canada ... because the booking timeline behavior/rules of the website have changed a few times over the last month.

Good luck!

Last edited:
It appears things at Walgreens have changed once again ... it looks like the lead time to book a test has in fact increased by a day.

The refresh of 10pm seems to be the same, but the lead time has increased by 1 day, so 3 days in total. This is the experience I'm seeing now.

Keeping with the same example above, if Wednesday is your desired testing date, log in/book your appointment on the Sunday (i.e. not the Monday).

You may want to double check / do a test run or two, I'd say a week before you leave Canada ... because the booking timeline behavior/rules of the website have changed a few times over the last month.

Good luck!
This is what we are experiencing right now as well. We were able to book appointments for tomorrow morning on Tuesday night.

Did you guys see this? It was just posted on CBC. Sounds like you'll need to provide proof of vaccine to board a plane/train. Curious as to what the rules will be for the under 12 group who can't be vaccinated. My assumption is that it'll depend on the parents vaccine status, but will be interesting to see. No timeline has been announced yet.

"Starting soon, all commercial air travellers and passengers on interprovincial trains and large marine vessels with overnight accommodations (such as cruise ships) will have to be vaccinated, Alghabra said. "

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-government-mandatory-vaccinations-1.6140131

Did you guys see this? It was just posted on CBC. Sounds like you'll need to provide proof of vaccine to board a plane/train. Curious as to what the rules will be for the under 12 group who can't be vaccinated. My assumption is that it'll depend on the parents vaccine status, but will be interesting to see. No timeline has been announced yet.

"Starting soon, all commercial air travellers and passengers on interprovincial trains and large marine vessels with overnight accommodations (such as cruise ships) will have to be vaccinated, Alghabra said. "

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-government-mandatory-vaccinations-1.6140131

Just read that. I’m sure this won’t include kids under 12, and will allow for some sort of exemption for those that can’t get vaccinated. They are also making it madetory for anyone working in the federal public service.

I wonder how this will apply to US airlines operating in Canada? (asking for a friend who has Delta/WestJet codeshare flight booked for Jan 2022 ;))

Well today is the day. Tonight we fly out to Toronto and then get on a place to Punta Cana in the morning. We have a 3 hour connection in YYZ which I think will be fine even if the flight is delayed for some reason (we only have to go through security again). But I've heard nightmare reports of landing in YYZ over the past couple of weeks if you are International or US and we only have a 2hr 35min connection on the way back for our flight to Vancouver. I'm being realistic and telling my family to pack some things in the carry on bags incase we have to spend the night in TO and be rebooked for the next day :rolleyes: And to think, I thought I only needed to worry about the return PCR test or the incoming Tropical Storm :crazy2: It's going to be an adventure!

Well today is the day. Tonight we fly out to Toronto and then get on a place to Punta Cana in the morning. We have a 3 hour connection in YYZ which I think will be fine even if the flight is delayed for some reason (we only have to go through security again). But I've heard nightmare reports of landing in YYZ over the past couple of weeks if you are International or US and we only have a 2hr 35min connection on the way back for our flight to Vancouver. I'm being realistic and telling my family to pack some things in the carry on bags incase we have to spend the night in TO and be rebooked for the next day :rolleyes: And to think, I thought I only needed to worry about the return PCR test or the incoming Tropical Storm :crazy2: It's going to be an adventure!

Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter