Again? Yes, Again! A Photographer and the AKL

jaineparr

Earning My Ears
While we were just at WDW between May 19-24, I tried for a bounceback reservation right after we upgraded our 7 day hoppers to annual passes. The rooms I wanted were not available. After some discussion, I stopped with the frustration of trying to check dates and room availability off the cuff. Wonderful Hubby suggested that I wait until we got home, spend some time doing research and make a decision then. So, that's what I did and we have reservations for two at the AKL from January 4-8, 2009. Most of the holiday decorations will be down, but the Spectacle of Lights in DHS should still be up. The rates aren't posted yet, but I'm expecting them to be the value rates and that there will be an AP holder discount. If it doesn't happen, I'll change the reservation to something different at another resort and try for exactly what I want at AKL all over again.

Why the AKL? Because I've wanted to stay there ever since I heard about it being built. The idea of having animals traipse back and forth right outside my window each day appealed to me from the first description and sketch. Last week, we took the bus over to visit and I was completely wowed at the beauty and the calm and the decor. Since then, I've looked up the menus, read reviews of the places to eat and gone searching for photos of the rooms. I love doing research on line.

When I called to make my reservation, I checked estimated rates for a standard Savanna and a Club Savanna room. I wanted a Club, but if it was way up there, I knew we couldn't do it. There was so little difference, that I went for a Club room immediately. Then I started hearing about all the lovely perks that go with that type of room. It starts with assistance making reservations for activities before we even arrive. I have a separate number to call, and my reservation must be confirmed, with a deposit on file for them to work with me. The Magical Express transport service from the airport will be more attentive, and it was excellent last week. To improve on that? I can only imagine. During our stay, there will be more perks that will make it even more difficult to return to reality when the trip is over.

That's my idea of a vacation! To top things off, because Wonderful Husband has a history of not feeling well in February, I'm calling this trip our anniversary trip. I mentioned this on the phone and they made a note of it. I want to expect a surprise of some sort in our room when we arrive. Rather than being disappointed, I will assume nothing.

So, I'm sitting at my computer, composing the last bits of my first pre-trip report and checking my notes for the actual trip report. And a little, gleeful voice inside of me is jumping up and down saying, "You're planning another trip!" and I'm making mental notes of things that I want to do for this second trip. In the background, my photo printer is spitting out another set of prints from the 1,293 photos I took last week. That's not a random number. I have a Nikon with a motor drive, a Nikon with no motor drive and there were many things to take pictures of - I'm surprised there aren't more.

I think there's a phone growing out of my ear!

First, I talked to MIL. She would love to come with us, or rather, plan a trip at the same time. We are NOT going to share a room, they much prefer their own space. She and I spent time talking about shows, shopping, service and the decor of the AKL. She doesn't really care where they go, she wants pretty things to look at and even prettier things to buy. If there's ballroom dancing somewhere, she's going to be even happier. Note to self, check out dancing options at WDW.

Then I talked to MILSO, and we were more practical, discussing rack rates, potential discounts and so on. We touched on service, menus and options for activities, but for the most part, he's an accountant. A semi-retired accountant, but an accountant. He felt much better knowing that I'd done research on the numbers and the bottom line.

Wonderful Husband does not care. He does NOT do the Park Commando, nor does he even want to attempt it. There are a very few things that he does not want to do, otherwise, he's fine with whatever I plan. I know his schedule preferences and I take them into account when I can.

Fortunately for my flat ear, I could contact my cousins by e-mail. I'm inviting them to come along as well. They love to travel, are great fun to be around and this is exactly the kind of thing they would enjoy. So, the group could be 3 couples and no kids.

Last, I put in a call to the Reservations Desk. It is so early that I'm just giving them a wish list. The wish list is for one 'event' a day. The exception is the day I do both a Brunch and then the Sunset Safari. I'm the only one interested in the Sunset Safari. Having learned from our first trip, I planned nothing at all for the first day. We will arrive, get settled in and relax. They will relax by eating, drinking and splashing in the pool or the spa. I will relax by gathering information, taking photos and getting my laptop set up.

My hope is that all this planning gets finished in one big burst and that I can then sit back and twiddle my thumbs for a few months. As if I would really twiddle my thumbs.

Drat. MIL and MILSO are not going to join us. MILSO has an arthritic knee that will need surgery and they are planning a trip to visit us in the spring, when he's feeling all the way better. Right now, he can't even waltz, which for a ballroom dancer, is a tragedy. So the trip is currently at Wonderful Husband and me. Wonderful Husband is thrilled at this development.

I'm still waiting to hear from the cousins.

I'd created our wish list with a group of four in mind. Until I hear from the cousins, I'm not going to change the wish list for our reservations.

Disney also just sent me an e-mail offer for some discount packages, because I asked them to send me that vacation planning CD. Wonderful Hubby and I are going to look at it and see if we can't find a weekend or two for short, less expensive getaways before the trip in January. He wants to take advantage of those annual passes and get a good value out of them. I agree.

For now, I'm off to pick up a set of photos from our most recent trip. I have also just gotten the shipping notice for the CD of Photopass pictures. Life is good.

I have still not heard from the cousins, but I have asked a local friend if he and his wife were interested in joining us. They travel a great deal and she's a photographer, too. They will have to talk it over before I hear anything. Knowing them, they've already got a trip planned to Timbuktu on those dates. I haven't changed our ADRs for a smaller group yet. Part of me is looking forward to a luxury stay with Wonderful Husband, but another part wants to share the Disney Magic.

MIL should wear glasses, but prefers not to, so I requested Front and Center seats for Cirque. Since MIL isn't going to be there, I had been thinking of moving back a little bit and saving a few pennies for some other treat. Then I realized that Wonderful Husband would consider that his treat and I'd be claiming the safari(s) as my treat. He's worth front and center.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter