After Hours Events - Ask Questions and Share Experiences Here

After reading so many negative reviews, I was very anxious going into the HS After Hours event last night (4/2). I’m happy to report that with my lowered expectations, we had a really fun time! 6 kids (ages 9-14) and 6 adults (including one 70 yr old Grandma!). Hopefully this review can offer some encouragement to future party attendees.

We started the night at Oga’s (had never been) and then the 8:30 Fantasmic show. We were in the front row so it took a long time to get out of the theater. It was easily 9:10/9:15, so 3 members of the group headed to ToT, while the other 9 went to TSM. Both lines were long as the park was still open, but it was kind of like “what else are we going to do”. Got in line for TSM at 9:25 and got off at 9:53 (this was about the same time the group got off of ToT. The TSM group got in line for Slinky and we got off at 10:23 (posted wait was 50 min). Rise came back online while we were online for Slinky after being down since around 8pm. While we were on Slinky, the ToT group rode TSM 2x. All 12 of us grabbed ice cream/popcorn and then headed to Smuggler’s run. Posted wait was 35 min, but we walked directly on (it takes awhile to walk the queue though!). We were off at 10:48. We then headed Rise since we were right there. Posted wait was 55 min which seemed like a questionable choice, but I didn’t think we’d make it back over there. We were off the ride at 11:40. While we were on Rise, MMRR came back online, after being down for most of the party. We used the bathroom and grabbed another round of treats/drinks and headed to MMRR. We were off at 12:08. We then met Donald and Daisy and split up for the final ride. 2 headed to ToT and 10 to Slinky. Grabbed an ice cream to eat and got in line at 12:17 and got off Slinky at 12:40. Took our time walking out and taking pictures.

It is not the carefree events of January and early February. But I really enjoyed the time and it went fast! We had a large group and still managed to ride Rise, Slinky 2x, Smuggler’s, MMRR and TSM. We benefited from Rise and MMRR coming back online when they did! Hope this summary is helpful!
Glad you enjoyed your evening but still feel that for what they are charging for this event you shouldn’t have to go in with “lowered expectations “!

Reporting back that this thread was so helpful for Hollywood Studios last night. We had a decent time but that was primarily to the use of the lighting lane for ROTR and then the Genie+ LL's for other rides, I was able to stack quite a few before the park closed at 930, and only fit one thing in beyond that (second trip to SD) due to my feet killing me (apparently I am no longer in park shape - and we spent most of the day walking around Disney Springs).

We were in line and had our bands by 630 and they let us in around 640pm. Our first Genie+ LL (640-740 window) was for Slinky Dog, we went straight there and then had issues with our phones connecting and it took about 20 minutes to be let in line (the CM was about to send us to guest services for refunds). My phone was fine, my husbands iPhone 10 was the problem but finally connected. From there went to ROTR where we tapped in just fine (and were fine the rest of the night), that was followed by the MF. We then went back to Toy Story Land for a TSM LL, and then barely squeezed in another LL for Star Tours, which felt silly with the 5 minute reported wait, but we walked by a ton of people in line so I think it helped. Annoyingly the line merged with the main line at the end with no cast member and the regular line people were resistant to us joining, so that did add a few minutes.

I had been eyeing MMRR all night but as others have reported it was pretty much down (and I believe both SW rides went down). We had ice cream and water after Star Tours and from there just walked around Galaxy's Edge, eyeing our phones hoping some of the ride times would go down (spoiler alert) they didn't. We did stop in Oga's Cantina and had a drink each thinking by the time we were done that surely the ride times would be reduced, but no. My husband wanted to ride SD at night and we got in the reported 40 minute wait line, it did take pretty much exactly that long and by the time it was over I was kind of over things (mid-way through the line a CM reported the wait time was going up which I took as applying to those in line, and my feet were killing me at this point).

MMRR was still down at this point so we just left and took a Lyft back to the Swan (did I mention my feet were killing me yet, lol). Of course after we got to the hotel I checked wait times only to see it had opened back up, I am still kicking myself for not just parking on a bench to see if that changed or if any other rides of interested shortened (though not sure that I could have walked back to Galaxy's Edge at that point!).

In hindsight knowing how well the lightning lane/Genie+ worked for us we could have easily done what we wanted on a regular park day and spent less money - I've been stalking AH at Animal Kingdom for Pandora and not so sure that will be worth it now - we had planned that for May 2020 and it was cancelled, but maybe I can get to Pandora without waiting for the AH event.

For After Hours tonight… when do they typically stop letting non After Hours visitors into lines? Is their any advantage to trying to get their before 9:30pm?

MMRR was still down at this point so we just left and took a Lyft back to the Swan (did I mention my feet were killing me yet, lol). Of course after we got to the hotel I checked wait times only to see it had opened back up
Don’t kick yourself too hard. We got in line when it said 45 minutes after it reopened but they let in all the LL people from when it was shut down and it took us almost 2 hours because of that.

For After Hours tonight… when do they typically stop letting non After Hours visitors into lines? Is their any advantage to trying to get their before 9:30pm?
Not sure if you’re asking about arriving at the park or entering an attraction.

You can arrive at 7PM with an AH party ticket.

All guests in the park can enter any attraction line until 9:29 which is one of the challenges party guests are reporting as it means the lines take a while to reduce to only party guests.

I’m talking specifically about the after hours events. I have a park hopper so I can get into the park but given how they let people onto the lines 1 minute before close with a regular ticket… and I have the special the “after hours “ ticket hoping to get shorter lines should I just show up later?

Not sure if you’re asking about arriving at the park or entering an attraction.

You can arrive at 7PM with an AH party ticket.

All guests in the park can enter any attraction line until 9:29 which is one of the challenges party guests are reporting as it means the lines take a while to reduce to only party guests.
Thanks. This is what I feared. Seems like based on posts here that Disney is overselling … both the experience and tickets.

Don’t kick yourself too hard. We got in line when it said 45 minutes after it reopened but they let in all the LL people from when it was shut down and it took us almost 2 hours because of that.
This makes me feel SOOOO much better, I would have melted down like a hangry toddler standing in line for 2 hours. I guess I assumed they cleared the lines if the ride were down (or that people would give up and leave), this is eye opening for me!

A quick report … and I’m sorry it if it muddies the waters further. We arrived around 7:30 and walked up to Tower of Terror. Waited about 75 minutes. Afterwards we got some bowls at Farefax Fare. When we were finished eating it was getting close to 9:30 so we headed back and walked through Galaxy’s Edge. We walked into Smugglers Run (which took forever since that line meanders) but had zero wait. This was maybe 9:40pm. Afterwards we walked to Rise and walked right on. Again… long meandering queue but no line until we got to the stormtroopers… which at that point is it not really a “waiting line” in my opinion.

After Rise we went to Slinky Dog Dash which took just under 30 Minutes. Swirling Saucers had zero wait. Toy Story Mania was zero wait and we walked on. After we got off TSM it was 11:30. ToT said 13 minutes and Minnie and Mickey was 5 minutes. We did not ride those again. We got a drink and ice cream and headed out because we were beat.

Despite Rise and Slinky both saying 55 in the app they were both very short/no wait. Slinky still said that when we left but it didn’t look like it was that long. However it was the only ride we saw with any line to speak of the entire night. Everything else was however long it took you to get through the maze.

I was nervous about last night's AH but it was delightful. We walked on everything we wanted to and even were able to ride MMRR over and over at one point. My son doesn't like anything remotely scary-ish so we didn't try ToT/SDD. But Rise and TSM were basically walk on, the only time it took was the length of the queue. My son and I even got a ship to ourselves in Smuggler's run so he was pumped about that and after we got off that he rode that over and over 2 more x while I waited because I couldn't do with the motion sickness. Didn't have issues finding the free snacks although didn't see many in the Star Wars area as others have said. LOVED the low crowds and and low heat! ha! Would definitely do it again and recommend it to others!!

Thanks for reviews from last night!

Looks like we're playing roulette for the 19th as far as crowds! 😄

I think since Spring Break is "over" for most and if no rides are down, we have a good chance at low crowds.

I’ll be there on the 19th. The event is showing as “SOLD OUT.”

Yea, thank you for the reviews ! I’m going on 5/3, and while I haven’t fretted about potential long lines, I’m more encouraged now...I expect to have a great time regardless !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter