After 3 days of Disney eating, we cancelled all our remaining table service ADRs

Harambe

I miss Tapestry of Dreams!
Disney dining has certainly changed since our last trip about 8 years ago. Previously, we would book a handful of TS meals to give ourselves a break from CS meals, since all the counter service places served pretty much the same thing - burgers, chicken nuggets, pizza, chicken nuggets, and burgers. But now, the CS places offer much more variety not only in the way they prepare food, but with flavor profiles (Asian, Mexican, vegetarian, etc.). Wonderful!

BUT . . . along with the improvements comes cost. And after averaging from $60-$70 per meal for the four of us at said counter service places, we felt that eating CS gave us more bang for our buck. Not to mention the blessed freedom that comes with eating when and where we want at any given time.

We still had a few TS meals, but just couldn't justify all that extra money for food that was not all that better than some of the CS offerings. I hope to do some quick reviews at some point, but thought I'd give a nod to those of you who are thinking you may have too many TS ADRs planned. Coz you do! :)

I agree. CS has changed so much since I started going to WDW. So many new and different choices to choose from that we usually only book a few TS to relax and cool off during the summer months.

Enjoy the rest of your trip

I have to agree with this. The more we go to WDW, the less TS we do. The quality of food simply does not justify the cost. We will pick one or two restaurants that we know we like, but don't do TS every day. We are going next weekend and have no TS reservations at all. I think, particularly at most 1 credit TS, the quality of food is sometimes worse than QS food, so why pay the upcharge?

It's hard to get too excited about most of the TS other than the signatures/S&D/off property restaurants. I used to blame that on the DDP, but with the increase in cost and reduction of the plan I don't think that is still a valid exceuse. There are still some solid "one-counters." but most of them aren't operated by Disney.

I disagree with regard to quick service being comparable to table service. Not saying that Disney table service is the best food around, but certainly better than a QS burger. And there are some table service restaurants that we truly enjoy, like Chefs de France, Boma, Raglan Road and Be Our Guest (though the atmosphere has a lot to do with this one).

Maybe we are in the minority but my husband and I book a table service for each night we are there. We pick restaurants where we think the food is really good. Disney is our one trip a year, so as far as the cost, we save all year for food and extras and don't even think about the price. It's vacation and we want to enjoy it.
The only food we've yet to think is truly outstanding is pizza.. Being from up north we know pizza here, anything at Disney just doesn't compare. :)

totally agree..especially since all my kids are all adult pricing...when my kids were little it was a great break, kids pricing was affordable and great way to see characters without waiting in lines...

I agree Harambe, but my husband hates CS. So when he could not come with us on our last trip I cancelled half of our TS ADRs, only keeping PPOs and New Year's Eve at Spice Road. Even the resorts have decent menus. I can't remember the last time I had a burger at WDW.

Last edited:
It depends on our mood any given day. Some days we just eat QS or snack around WS, some days we are in the mood for a TS so we book one while walking around. The prices for TS aren't really that much higher than where we live and we certainly don't have any of the different choices you get a WDW. We live in a college town so it's mostly chain restaurants or small local places that stay open for one season then close down because students aren't willing to eat there. My honey and I spend more at the local Red Lobster then my son and I spend at Hollywood Brown Derby and the food isn't half as good at Red Lobster. I can honestly say in the past 10 years I've never had a burger, hot dog or chicken nuggets at a QS at WDW, there are plenty of choices of other things.

I like the TS restaurants that don't have character dining. My kids have just about outgrown the character interaction thrill. However we did do 3 this past trip.. 1900 Park Fare, Askerus and Tusker House... My wife cringed each time we got the bill. We also ate at Via Napoli (twice) and that place in Mexico (Epcot). They were about half the cost of a character meal and the food was better! We try to do a TS at least once a day.. its a nice welcome break from the hustle and bustle of a park. I suspect our next trip will only contain a single character meal (Tusker house).. my wifes favorite... The CS meals are ok (getting better), plus there are enough varieties to find something you like!

I disagree with regard to quick service being comparable to table service. Not saying that Disney table service is the best food around, but certainly better than a QS burger. And there are some table service restaurants that we truly enjoy, like Chefs de France, Boma, Raglan Road and Be Our Guest (though the atmosphere has a lot to do with this one).

On my solo trips (4 X year for the past decade or so) if not brownbagging I eat QS almost exclusively and have never had a burger at WDW, or nuggets or a hot dog.

Although I find most Disney eats overpriced QS feels like the better value to me. We enjoy a few of the TS restaurants but they seem extremely pricey for what you get.

We always book at least one TS a day, sometimes 2.
CS has mostly been a disappointment to me.....there are a few exceptions. I also have some food restrictions, so that comes into play too.

We have dropped some TS places that used to be a must.....and some new favorites. They change over time.

I had a meatball sub at the pizza joint (used to be Pizza Planet) at HS... i liked!

We always have one TS per day. We always pick our favorite places plus try somewhere new once in a while. We love Ohana, Cape May, Trails End, Liberty Tree Tavern, Whispering Canyon. There are many QS places that are great now also.

I can see where you can feel this way. We will visit sometimes and just do the QS restaurants. The reason we do this though is not so much the price but we get tired of chasing reservations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter