Afraid to (or refuse to) kennel animals for vacation? UPDATE Post 1

OP, I do sympathize with you. One of several reasons we don't have a dog is that I know I would be a mess about kenneling it when we go away. I would be miserable with worry instead of enjoying the trip.

I don't like kennels because one we used lost one of our cats. We think that she escaped and the kennel took no liability.

However I try to find a good veterinarian that boards animals. I feel like animals are generally safe and well cared for at the vets office.

I don't like kennels because one we used lost one of our cats. We think that she escaped and the kennel took no liability.

However I try to find a good veterinarian that boards animals. I feel like animals are generally safe and well cared for at the vets office.

Our cats are boarded at the vets office, too. :)

You may not be aware of it, but there is a beautiful kennel right on Disney property. We used it last month. The facility is immaculate, they took excellent care of our dog. And you can visit your pet any time you want during your trip.

This was my first thought.

Add me to the camp that would not have canceled my vacation.

And if the real issue with being unable to leave the dog was mine as you said yours was, I would've sent my family on vacation without me.

But that is me. If you and your family are okay with it, then that is all that matters.

We don't board at vets because there isn't anyone there 24/7. I worry that something would happen while no one is around. Even though no one is at my own house 24/7. I realize this is not logical. ;)

We don't board at vets because there isn't anyone there 24/7. I worry that something would happen while no one is around. Even though no one is at my own house 24/7. I realize this is not logical. ;)
They vary. Our best veterinarian had someone there in the evening so the pets were probably alone for only 6 hours since they got there very early in the mornings. I know because I saw ads for people to come in at night to care for the animals.

This veterinarian was a big time animal lover though. He had to keep a cat of ours for a few days and he called to report the cat's condition a few times. This cat yowled on the phone at the same time because the doctor normally kept him in his office with him so the cat wouldn't be alone. That's the type of vet to find! :)

ITA with those who said you haven't found the right option yet. When I was 9, we brought home a German shepherd mutt. Prior to that, we briefly had a small dog that was hit by a car when he went flying out of my grandmother's house as she opened the door.

When we got the shepherd, my other grandmother offered to keep him while we went on vacation. She was under 5 feet tall and weighed next to nothing. He was hyper energetic and tough to restrain. Well, grandma put him on a leash and took him for a walk. When she finally got back from being dragged down the street :rotfl: she packed him up and took him to our vet.

Turned out to be the best thing ever. I didn't even know our vet offered boarding, but Trapper absolutely loved it there! They took such good care of him, and he adored them. From then on, Trapper plus all the cats we had over the years went to the vet and we went on vacation worry-free. It was so cute, every time we walked into the vet's office, whether he was just there for vaccinations or there for a week's stay, Trapper would jump up on his hind legs and put his front paws up on the high counter. He was so excited to see his friends!

That's the kind of place you need to find. You owe it to your human family to take magical vacations together, and you owe it to your doggie to find someplace that offers a special doggie vacation too. Good luck :thumbsup2

As much as I didn't like leaving my dog when I went on vacation, I still did it. I would not cancel a trip because of who was caring for him. As long as he was being well cared for, that was it.

I once used a company that uses host families (someone who is willing to take your dog (or cat or whatever) for the time you're gone) instead of them being left in one crate/cage at the kennel. They're in a home environment, sometimes playing with kids and/or other pets. My dog came home happy and had played with someone's cat the whole week. The family wrote a little "report card" stating how he did, such as he ate all his food, he played with so-n-so, he was a good boy, he enjoyed sitting with me in the evenings ... or whatever. It was very nice. (I actually would love to be a "host" and take people's dogs for them.) Anyway, here's the link to their site ... http://www.petsareinn.com/

The last several years, however, we had 2 different ladies come over at different times during the day to say hello, feed him, let him out, etc. Worked well. But I liked the host family thing better because he had people around all the time. At home, he must have been so bored and lonely until the ladies showed up. But he was well cared for -- that's what mattered.

I would have loved to watch your dog for you (mine passed last June) and we have a huge fenced in yard, and 2 kids who love dogs. I'm doggie-sitting my sister's Welsh Terrier in early May. We're excited. (even tho he's a spoiled little guy - :lmao:)

I'm thinking we should start a DisBoards vacation time dog-trading club!! Just ask me and if I'm free - I'll take 'em.

and Design_Mom, sometimes there *isnt'* a 'right kennel.' That's the only one near us.

How far are you willing to drive? Your location under your avatar says you're from Boston. There's got to be a zillion places in/around Boston to board. (dedicated kennels, vets' offices, doggie daycares, groomers, etc.) The place we go to is over an hour away and is out in the boonies. It's where our vet takes his own dogs. We've got a *lot* of places that are closer, but the "right kennel" is not always the closest.... and it's worth the drive to have peace of mind when you're leaving your pet.

And maybe having somebody come into the house is the better option for you and/or the OP. I don't have any problem with that. My point was merely that not all kennels are created equal -- and the one closest to you (general you), or the one your neighbor uses, or the one you had a bad experience with might not be the "right one" for your pet... but there are others.

Well, I've never been in the position of having to decide between a trip and kenneling a dog, but...

We WERE considering cancelling a family trip when our 18 year old kitty was on her last legs. If she'd lasted another month we'd have had to postpone our trip. We weren't going to leave her with friends when she had to be carried up and down stairs, was on subcutaneous fluids and in a diaper (long, ridiculous story - oddly enough, the cat didn't mind). And we weren't going to euthanize an otherwise perky, happy cat just for our convenience.

Fortunately, she died just before Christmas, which worked out well, timing-wise.

We don't kennel our dog. I think our dog would hate it. She cries non-stop whenever I leave her for an hour to be groomed. Fortunately, we have a friend who comes and lives in our house while we're gone, to look after our dog for us. We arrange our trips around our friend's schedule.

We toured 3 kennels before we found "the one" for our dog. We tried one of them out for a long weekend and it was a disaster. Our dog came home sick and when I took her to the vet, she was dehydrated. The 2nd kennel just didn't feel right at all and the 3rd was the one we now use. They take such amazing care of her! Of course she tucks her tail when we bring her in the door, but as soon as we hand the leash over to the owner and walk away, she is her happy little self. She gets multiple walks per day & she gets to go outside whenever she wants...heck, being home isn't that good!

OP, I get your angst; however I'd never cancel a vacation due to the circumstances you describe!

We have a great kennel that my dog enjoys (She literally strains at the lease to go in the back as soon as we go thru the front door). I also have family close who would help out in an emergency. :hippie:

I have never and would never put my dogs in a kennel, my DH would never.
We have a pet sitter from "Critter Sitters' who we use and is wonderful. On our last trip there was a bad ice storm here and she stayed over night to make sure my dogs would be let out in the morning. My IL are not animal people and would not pet sit. I have never had to cancel but if something happened and there was no other critter sitter available, and had nobody I trusted I would have to cancel too.

They vary. Our best veterinarian had someone there in the evening so the pets were probably alone for only 6 hours since they got there very early in the mornings. I know because I saw ads for people to come in at night to care for the animals.

This veterinarian was a big time animal lover though. He had to keep a cat of ours for a few days and he called to report the cat's condition a few times. This cat yowled on the phone at the same time because the doctor normally kept him in his office with him so the cat wouldn't be alone. That's the type of vet to find! :)

Our vet will have someone there at various times during the night *if* they have an animal there overnight who needs to be checked on, but that's not always the case. And I don't know if they'd have someone come in to check on a cat that wasn't sick but was just being boarded. However, when one of our dogs was sick and needed to be under more frequent observation, the vet took her home with her. Now *that's* observation! ;)

Ok, afraid isn't the right word.

We were supposed to leave for Disney tomorrow. I had back up kennel reservations "just in case" but didn't want to use them.

Well, the people that were supposed to watch the dog couldn't handle him, so we just cancelled our trip. The airfare is non-refundable - oh well, it's only money.

We had to kennel our dog a few months ago & we hated it. DD & I couldn't wait to get home. The poor dog sat by the door practically the whole time looking for our return (we had a webcam). I felt terrible but we were in Denver & he was in Maryland. My Disney trip was planned before the Denver trip & I thought I'd be ok with kenneling it but I wasn't.

Anyway, our dog is part of our family. He is the best dog ever & we hate leaving him behind. I'm ok with day kenneling but that's about it. He'll be day kenneled on the next Disney trip but we're staying at the HRH, so he'll be in bed with us at night. I know I'm nuts, so no point in debating that.

Am I alone in my craziness for my dog? He is a devoted & loyal pet & I can't just leave him behind with strangers.

You are not alone in your craziness for your dog because I am the exact same way, call me nuts too LOL. I would never kennel my pet. Thankfully I have immediate family that loves to watch my dog but if they are unable to, I still wouldn't take my dog to the kennel.

I would've gone on the trip for sure. The "it's only money" argument wouldn't fly in my household!

OP, I hope you can find a better kennel for your pup!

Sorry, there is no way I'd cancel a vacation because fido was lonely! They'll manage and be just fine when you return :).

I am a HUGE animal lover. We've kenneled our pets more times than I can remember. The key is to find the right one.

You should try a house/pet sitter. They cost more but might fit your needs better.

I know I am crazy. DH insisted that his parents could watch him but they were letting my dog walk them (he even pulled DFIL down), MIL leaves pot handles hanging off the stove while she's cooking, etc. They just weren't careful and I would have worried about him the whole time. (ETA: He's a GSD & noses everything)

I had a bad experience with a kennel. But it's partly my fault because our dog was my first dog and I didn't socialize him properly as a pup.

I feel like your ILs were still willing to watch your dog, but you just didn't want them to? If so, I think that is a little crazy.

I thought my MIL wasn't going to take the "right" care of my dog, but he did great with her! He's stayed there many times now. Just because another person doesn't do it your way doesn't mean it will be the wrong way.

I can sympathize a bit with your situation though. I am not even a "dog" person, probably won't get another one, but miss my dog when we're gone and worry about him. I would never cancel a vacation over it though, especially when we'd lose money.

My mom's GSD gets lonely whenever she's not around. He'll eat just enough to maintain his weight, but he won't eat a whole bowl of food a day. Guess what? We still leave him behind on vacation.

He's not permanently damaged by the experience. He has a good time at the kennel playing with the other dogs, my dog stays in the same unit with him. Its just the way he is and we accept it.

Other people might miss me while I'm on vacation, a bf, a friend, etc., but I wouldn't cancel my plans for them any more than I'd cancel them because my dog might miss me.

The kennel we take them to has someone there 24/7. They get one on one time with someone everyday. They participate in the daycare activities as part of their boarding fee. When our GSD wouldn't eat, they made him chicken and rice! Its a phenomenal place - I'd rather my dogs be there, with someone there 24/7 than have someone come a few times during the day.

(It is part of the reason why we stopped boarding the dogs at the vet - there's no one there all the time. Plus, the staff was 'stressed' about our GSD and thought it was cruel of us to leave him there - they thought we should keep him at home thinking he would eat there if we had someone come by instead. HA! When my mom was in the hospital, with me coming home to let him out periodically and feed him, he didn't eat then either. She was in the hospital for three weeks and he didn't lose any weight - or die of starvation. One of the managers at the kennel has had extensive experience with GSD's, especially white GSD's, which is what we have. Its a much better fit.)

So, no, we wouldn't cancel our vacation over the dog. If we let her dog run our lives, we wouldn't leave the house for more than an hour!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter