Advise needed … Grand Californian Reservation

disney_lover_UK

Earning My Ears
SO! This is kind of a two part query, as a non owner at grand cal what are the chances of getting a 4 night reservation for next May at the 7 month window?

If that’s practically impossible, am I over complicating it by renting my AKL points out to then RENT a grand Californian room cash? And would that even come in? Will be our first time to California (from the UK) so want to do it right.

Thanks guys :)

I miraculously got a 4 night January stay in pieces at Grand Cal. Two nights then one at a time. That was unbelievable it came through. I am now an owner and I say it is impossible. Do it in cash. Then you will be secure.

I'd expect to to be really rough ... and require continual stalking to piece the reservation night by night.

FWIW, since Covid, we've been fortunate to book ~12n/year at VGC using SSR points ... but most of our stays are just 1 or 2-nights. My longest has been 3 nights although I've seen a 4th adjacent night show up here and there.

SO! This is kind of a two part query, as a non owner at grand cal what are the chances of getting a 4 night reservation for next May at the 7 month window?

If that’s practically impossible, am I over complicating it by renting my AKL points out to then RENT a grand Californian room cash? And would that even come in? Will be our first time to California (from the UK) so want to do it right.

Thanks guys :)

A lot has to do with which size villa you are looking to book. Studio is for sure a no-go as points are still lower in May. 1/2 bedroom could be possible if you’re on right at 8am EST (unless it happens to be over Memorial Day weekend) since you’re only looking for 4 nights. I personally don’t love the cash rooms at GCH (unless you want to book concierge), so I would instead transfer in VGC points so you can book the villa yourself as opposed to renting from another owner. That’s of course if you want to play it safe and not risk waiting to book at 7 months yourself! Good luck either way!

Start walking the 1BR now. Hope you have a lot of points and patience. It's 10 months now, you can log in and see the odds.

Last edited:
A lot has to do with which size villa you are looking to book. Studio is for sure a no-go as points are still lower in May. 1/2 bedroom could be possible if you’re on right at 8am EST (unless it happens to be over Memorial Day weekend) since you’re only looking for 4 nights. I personally don’t love the cash rooms at GCH (unless you want to book concierge), so I would instead transfer in VGC points so you can book the villa yourself as opposed to renting from another owner. That’s of course if you want to play it safe and not risk waiting to book at 7 months yourself! Good luck either way!
Any tips on where to start with transferring!? :)

I've been stalking 4 nights mid December (not over Christmas) for more than 2 months. 1 day came open, but nothing else. I check almost daily. I fianlly went ahead and made a cash reservation becuase i didnt like the stress. I put my points up to rent, but nothing has come through for them yet either.

I've been able to get 3 multi-night reservations without being an owner, but only in November and January. Last year, May disappeared before 7 months, I expect the same to happen this year. One other obstacle is that unlike at WDW where multiple reservations can be combined by MS, they CANNOT do that at VGC. Not sure why, but I've been threatened with mid-stay moves on 2 of my 3 dvc trips because waitlisted nights came through later on to extend my trip. I'm now an owner out of necessity, stayed cash this past April/May.

Try to book it for cash and save yourself the headache.

Last edited:
I love staying at Grand but it is very difficult .
Good luck

Last edited:
Brining up an old thread, but is June equally as hard? Looking for 4-5 nights in a 1 bedroom and was considering May or June 2024.

Interesting thread. I may be looking for 4 nights in a 2bdr in August 2024. I have gotten a one bdr at 7 months, but that was many years ago.

I’d prefer to do a transfer in but it seems difficult to find someone to do it. I would then turn around and sell mine to recover some of the cost.

Mac_tlc

I have been watching the rent/transfer thread for a while. I have seen 2 people rent their grand Californian points in the past few months. I would rent out ALK and jump on GC when you can. It’s always booked up by 7 months

I book VGC with non-VGC points often. Generally I find that 2BRs are easiest (which is what we typically book), followed by 1BRs, with studios and 3BRs being the toughest. It helps if your schedule is a bit flexible. For example, I was booking July 4th week and initially wanted to arrive Saturday, but wasn’t able to get it with that attempt, so I ended up booking our trip starting Sunday instead. Some days I’ve seen the 1 and 2BRs still available for 10 or more minutes past when booking opens. Every time I’ve looked, studios are gone instantly when booking opens if there are any still available, and most of the time, I don’t see any availability for 3BRs at 7 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter