advise for first WDW visit?

DLfan4

Cant wait for another trip to DLR
hi. i have been to Disneyland California, but never have been to WDW Florida yet. My friend is taking her kids to WDW next fall and i am helping her plan her trip and had a few questions.

- for a September visit, do you really need ADRs for TS restaurants? or can you walk in?

- Does WDW have something similar to Disneylands Photopass + ?

- what exactly is a magicband? do you need it to get into the parks? and do you need it for Fastpasses?
-if you are staying offsite, how do you get a magicband?

thanks

Magic bands are only for resort guest from what I've read.

Guest staying off site will get a card.

This card will hold their ticket info and fast pass info.

ADRs are always needed if you want your choice of table serviced restaurants.
Memory Maker is similar to photopass

The Magic bands are bracelets (rubberized) with RFID Chips in them to be used to identify you for entrance, FP+, and probably other things too (Not sure all what links to it when you are not staying on property.) I like them and I don't find them uncomfortable or inconvenient.

If you are staying offsite and you WANT magic bands, you can purchase them and then have your Tickets (ADRs, FP+, etc) switched to it.

At this time you don't NEED the MBs but they are nice (IMO). You can still use your card to get to your FP+. Most of the FP+ is done with the MDE. There are some Kiosks throughout the park but not like it used to be.

WDW does have the PhotoPass (I believe they also call it memory maker). We love it and get it every time.

Technically speaking ADRs are NOT required but they are strongly advised. It all depends on the time of year you are going and which restaurant you want to go to. Certainly an ADR confirms your seat. If however, you are non-conventional person you can do well without ADRs by going to the TS restaurants at the "Off" hours. A late breakfast, an early lunch, late lunch, early dinner, etc... If you want to eat lunch at around noon or dinner around 5PM however, chances are you may not get in without an ADR. Heck even trying to get into a QS place at noon is challenging too.

1. Yes, ADRs are necessary if you don't want to hunt for a place to sit and eat. Many plan them out at 180 days.
2. Memory maker can be purchased in advanced (a MDE account will need to be created for this and FP as well). It is an awesome service.
3. Magic bands can be bought at the parks or even online and linked to your MDE account, even if you are offsite. Otherwise you get the plastic card. They are not necessary if you are offsite. If you stay onsite you get them with your reservation.

Last edited:
I'd highly recommend getting at least a few ADRs, even at a less-crowded time of year like September. In fact, it can even be harder to get same-day ADRs or walk-ups in September, because they often offer free dining for on-site guests. That means they sit-down restaurants will be booked up way in advance, since people with free dining know they need to book their ADRs.

for a September visit, do you really need ADRs for TS restaurants? or can you walk in?

Yes, if you want to ensure you get in, you need an adr. Walk in is not impossible but it's rare and some locations, you need to get them really early before they sell out.

what exactly is a magicband? do you need it to get into the parks? and do you need it for Fastpasses?
if you are staying offsite, how do you get a magicband?

If your staying onsite, it's everything including room key and disney will send you one.
If your off site, it's optional. If you want the ride videos or photos at 7dmt, you have to have a magic band. you can buy one online or wait until you get there for a larger variety of them. (I'd wait personally). do not buy one from ebay, you can't transfer a band to other people.

the bands for offsite are basically a convenience being on your wrist so it's quick to get in or redeem your fast pass or let the photopass photographer swipe when you get a picture. Otherwise you have to keep pulling out your ticket. The ride videos and 7dmt is the only exception and if your looking at photopass+ you probably want them. You might get away with 1 band for 1 person if everyone is going to be riding together.

The ride videos and 7dmt is the only exception
Not quite the "Only" Exception. I am pretty sure I had other "Videos" as a result of my MB. (although I cannot recall at the moment for which one. Maybe Space mountain?)

Also the MB allows pictures that are taken on the rides to be autoMagically added to your PhotoPass. You can still go to the exit and view them and tap your MB (or card) to get it added to. I don't think it causes "Doubles" not that that would be an issue though.

Not quite the "Only" Exception. I am pretty sure I had other "Videos" as a result of my MB. (although I cannot recall at the moment for which one. Maybe Space mountain?)

Also the MB allows pictures that are taken on the rides to be autoMagically added to your PhotoPass. You can still go to the exit and view them and tap your MB (or card) to get it added to. I don't think it causes "Doubles" not that that would be an issue though.

to clarify, all ride videos require the magic band, but still pictures on 7dmt also require it. the other rides still have the video screens you can tap your card against to claim as you mentioned.

thank you everyone for the info, i will pass it onto my friend.

...At this time you don't NEED the MBs but they are nice (IMO). You can still use your card to get to your FP+. Most of the FP+ is done with the MDE. There are some Kiosks throughout the park but not like it used to be....

What is an MDE ?

What is an MDE ?
My Disney Experience.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plan/

You can do it online or there is an MDE App. My DW does all the "Planning" (with my limited input) and sets everything up in MDE (online). When at the park, I have MDE App on my phone and take care of anything we need to do with it there. We only have 1 MDE account and we both use the same one. It's much easier that way for us.

Any tips for registering a retail bought Magic Band? I am having difficulty in registering it on My Disney Experience. thank all!

Any tips for registering a retail bought Magic Band? I am having difficulty in registering it on My Disney Experience. thank all!

My advice would be to just to call Disney. They can probably walk you through it (or even take care of it for you)

Magic bands are only for resort guest from what I've read.

Guest staying off site will get a card.

This card will hold their ticket info and fast pass info.
Last time we went to DW (Nov2014) we had Magic Bands and didn't stay on Disney property. You can buy them at Downtown Disney, there's a big store that sells them in all colors and themes. It holds your pass information.

Dining at Disney World is very much different than Disneyland. There are restaurants that are booked solid five or six months in advance. In addition, last year September had free dining. A lot of the people will have the standard dining plan and demand for restaurants is high. The dates have not been announced for this year.

The magic band is useful imho. I like that it tracks who is spending. We allowed our son free time in the parks and we could tell what he spent. It also allows people sharing a room to use their own credit cards to pay for their items. This was not available previously. It probably does not apply to your friend.

May I suggest searching for posts by HydroGuy? His home park is Disneyland, but he appears to visit Disney World quite often. He has a couple of really good posts for DW vets going to DLR and vice versa. I used his posts for guidance when we went to DLR three years ago. He is thorough and helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter