Advice Please: What if sunday's severe thunderstorms prevent us from getting to our prepaid Castle R

that's because it was boats - boats often don't run in thunder storms.

They won't run if lightning is in the area, I believe, not just if there's a thunderstorm. This hasn't messed with my plan at WDW, but over at Uni it had stopped raining what-felt-like-ages before but there was still lightning inside of 3 miles from the location, so the boats were closed.

The forecast for Sunday is for a day long severe weather outbreak including possible tornadoes. I am concerned about being stuck elsewhere in the park and not being able to get to the reservation on time. Also not really wanting to run in the rain with the baby, so I was just wondering what options there might be. Thanks !

I was there last year in torrential rain and thunderstorms. It is not fun hot footin' it to the restaurant, but if you are prepared, you can manage. We took a big poncho to cover the stroller and moved. The girls were dry, their hair still all spiffied up, and their gowns in perfect shape. Not the case with their Mom and me. we were looking like drowned rats!

If it looks like it is going rain make plans to have a cover for the baby's stroller and an umbrella for you. CRT will not accept rain as a reason to cancel.

I'd download the Dark Sky app.
It will alert you when rain is beginning and when it's stopping.
It is not fail-proof but it's as good as it gets.
Use it and if you get an alert that rain is starting soon, and it's more than drizzle,
Thank you all for your help and suggestions. Weather Channel .com is saying scattered storms in am, widespread in pm and continued in evening. We do have fast passes in Fantasyland that morning so provided it is only rain and we can get to the park from WL we will be in the area and should be OK. I have memories of being trapped in the Imagination building for over an hour one year due to heavy storms and was worried about something similar happening with a prepaid dining reservation at stake.

Unless Disney orders a shelter in place, you are expected to be there on time. They just cannot accommodate everyone who doesn't care to go out in the rain. We have done CRT with a small child in a rainstorm, and while not ideal it is doable. We used disposable ponchos. One on her and one over the stroller with her in it and they stayed dry. I will say that I would put something over your stroller when you park it if you are using one. Ours got pushed out in the rain while we were in the castle. We had to line the seat with ponchos for DD to sit on.

Last edited:
Unless Disney orders a shelter in place, you are expected to be there on time. They just cannot accommodate everyone who doesn't care to go out in the rain. We have done CRT with a small child in a rainstorm, and while not ideal it is doable. We used disposable ponchos. One on her and one over the stroller with her in it and they stayed dry. I will say that I would put something over your stroller when you park it if you are using one. Ours got pushed out in the rain while we were in the castle. We had to line the seat with ponchos for DD to sit on.
I know many of the rental strollers can come with rain shields. If OP is renting a stroller this may be a good thing to include.
No idea if you can buy them for a stroller you own but it may be a choice too

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. Weather Channel .com is saying scattered storms in am, widespread in pm and continued in evening. We do have fast passes in Fantasyland that morning so provided it is only rain and we can get to the park from WL we will be in the area and should be OK. I have memories of being trapped in the Imagination building for over an hour one year due to heavy storms and was worried about something similar happening with a prepaid dining reservation at stake.
"Trapped" as in Disney ordered you to shelter in place & would not let you leave, or "trapped" as in the rain was heavy & you didn't want to get wet? If it's the latter, you're still expected to be there on time. If, however, the weather is severe enough that parks are closed & transportation is down, your reservation will absolutely be refunded.

Has anyone ever had a situation where the weather kept you from getting to your prepaid reservation? What do we do if we simply can't get to the castle: 4 adults , a 5 yr old and an infant. The tab is over $300 dollars and I don't want to just lose it. Can we just show up as soon as we can or call the restaurant or what? Suggestions?

I guess I'm confused as to what would prevent you from getting there? A thunderstorm is just a thunderstorm. Generally speaking unless the park is closed, then you'd be expected to show up. If you had some kind of extreme circumstance, I'd call and see what they say and generally if you're a few mins. late it's not a big deal.

I will say that I would put something over your stroller when you park it if you are using one.

Definitely. My cousin left her stroller outside while we were at CP, there was a rainstorm while we ate, and it was soaked for two days. Her poor daughter. (and she should know better; she's a Floridian!)

No idea if you can buy them for a stroller you own but it may be a choice too

We had fitted rain covers from the manufacturers for our jogging stroller and for our Disney stroller (Maclaren). They were fabulous.

Definitely. My cousin left her stroller outside while we were at CP, there was a rainstorm while we ate, and it was soaked for two days. Her poor daughter. (and she should know better; she's a Floridian!)

We had fitted rain covers from the manufacturers for our jogging stroller and for our Disney stroller (Maclaren). They were fabulous.
We ALWAYS take a rain cover for our stroller with us. It's nice to not have to worry about the (quite common but short) rain. (We get asked several times a day where we purchased our rain cover, and always leave people disappointed when we say we brought it from home.)

Be prepared for the rain. Bring ponchos and an umbrella or two. Unless Disney tells you to shelter in place you are expected to make your ADR. If your luck is anything like mine the meer fact you have rain gear along means it won't rain.

Oh, and wear shoes that shed the rain. I have some croc sandals that are great for that!

Poncho everyone up and throw a cover over the stroller. Thunderstorms are almost a daily occurrence in Central Florida during large chunks of the year. When you go to Disney, you can't be afraid of getting wet, or you will be trapping yourself in your resort room for a good chunk of time. Getting from the bus/ferry/monorail to CRT takes a few minutes, nothing that a storm would keep you from.

National Weather service just put out a higher than normal risk weather alert starting Sunday at 3pm for 2 hours. It could be some sizable hail, really high winds and heavy rain... It's still going to be moving fast so we're talking done by 5pm...

I wouldn't change any plans but I would not walk slowly when this one starts to get inside at MK and by your dinner time it'll be over and you don't have to still get to MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter