Advice on Camelbak for park touring

I use one for long runs in rural areas. For Disney I would find it a hassle. It's too easy to just buy an ice cold water when you need it. No need to lug around a heavy sloshing plastic bag.

I realize this thread is a bit older, but after many many summer trips I am considering either getting one camelbak for my husband and I to share or one for each of us. In the past, we've brought one water bottle to share and filled it throughout the day but to be honest I don't think we were getting enough water that way.

Any thoughts about just getting a large one (100 oz) to share or each having our own smaller one? We don't have kids to don't have a lot to bring into the parks with us, so we don't need a huge bag for other stuff.

I would go with one for each of you. My wife and I shared my 100 ounce on one park trip, and it ran dry well before the end of our touring day.

They come in three sizes - 100 oz (3L), 70 oz and 50 oz, in backpack style and lumbar style (no 100 oz in lumbar style.) Personally, I recommend the 100 oz, because you will need to hydrate constantly. I have used a 70 oz before, and drained it dry. 100 oz is enough for me all day in the parks.

Edit: And if you do get one or two, get good ones. I recommend Camelbak or Source Hydration (Source is my personal favorite.) A problem with some of the cheaper hydration systems is that the water bladder isn't durable and leaks. I've also had good luck with buying a used carrier off eBay that didn't come with a hydration bladder and buying a new replacement bladder off Amazon or eBay.

Last edited:
I use one for long runs in rural areas. For Disney I would find it a hassle. It's too easy to just buy an ice cold water when you need it. No need to lug around a heavy sloshing plastic bag.

Yeah I've tried variations of this in past Disney trips but if we bought as many bottles that is actually needed to stay hydrated in the summer heat we'd spend all our money on water. Plus I like the idea of a backpack so I can be hands free and not carry around a cup of water or two water bottles that we will drink in about 5 minutes and have to refill constantly.

It's an interesting idea. Do Disney hotels have ice machines? I've never looked. Otherwise I think it would be a little annoying. I don't mind filling my camelback up at home, but when camping, it gets kind of difficult because the only place I feel comfortable filling up is a gas station, and even there, you need a thick skin.

In contrast, it's super easy to fill up a water bottle at WDW- quick service will let you and table service will keep bring you ice water when your glass is low.

My partner uses a camelbak when we go, and I am thinking I'm going to use one on our next trip. What got me is that he would fill the bladder with ice and water at the resort (we don't mind the Florida tap). That thing would stay cold for a long time! Also, if you wore it, some of the cold could be felt on your back. In my opinion that is totally worth it in the summer months.

Also, if you get a good "Camelbak" (now a generic term like Xerox) with padded straps, you really don't notice the weight on your back. For years I used either belt mounted or shoulder strap style canteens. When I got my first Camelbak, I never used either of those canteens again!

erin1715, I also like having my hands free and not having to carry around a bottle of water. Doxycycline, having 100 ounces of ice water on your back does make you feel much cooler - its an added benefit!

It's an interesting idea. Do Disney hotels have ice machines? I've never looked. Otherwise I think it would be a little annoying. I don't mind filling my camelback up at home, but when camping, it gets kind of difficult because the only place I feel comfortable filling up is a gas station, and even there, you need a thick skin.

In contrast, it's super easy to fill up a water bottle at WDW- quick service will let you and table service will keep bring you ice water when your glass is low.

Yep Disney has ice machines and I"m not really concerned about filling up the Camelbak at the parks. I would most likely fill it in the morning and then if we go through 70 or 100 oz of water by the time we take our mid-day break, I'll just refill at the hotel at that time. I know people say its easy to get free ice water at a quick service, but that also involves standing in line to ask for water, or like I said carrying around bottles/cups. I've tried that and I'm going to give the camelbak a try, but now I have to decide which one to buy.

I was looking at this Source one https://www.amazon.com/Source-Outdo...-17&keywords=source+hydration+pack&th=1&psc=1

erin1715, that Source looks fine.

I upgraded my Source to their QMT tube and bite valve so that I could use the UTA adapter. The UTA allows you to fill your Source hydration system from a water faucet or water bottle through the tube without having to unscrew the fill port. I also found out that I can get more water in there using the UTA. See https://sourceoutdoor.com/en/source-accessories/88-uta-refill-hydration for more information. I still put ice in through the fill port, and then fill it up with water using the UTA.

BTW, I don't work for Source, but I am a very happy customer. I've used "Camelbaks" since 1997, and IMHO, Source is better.

We have a Camelbak Mule backpack that we've taken to DL quite a few times and we love it. We're planning on bringing it to WDW in June as our park bag. It's big enough to carry our other stuff; ponchos, glasses, some snacks, etc. and it's not too bulky. We usually fill it with ice at the hotel the night before so it mostly melts, then fill it with ice again before we leave for the parks in the morning. It lasts quite awhile, and if we need to refill it, we either do it during a break at the hotel or get cups of water at a quick service. My favorite part of having it is when we're in a line and want a drink of water. We don't have to wait until getting off the ride and finding the nearest quick service or water fountain.

one of the reason why I did not use the camel pack that came with my back pack is what do you do with the moth pice on rides ( with it hitting things) think how many grimes would get on it,

I use this http://www.staples.com/Contigo-7234...gn=173090982&gclid=CKaNidOT3tICFUk2gQodkdYJ8w

moth pice is protected leak/ spill proof. so it can go inside a back pack or in the pockets of one. stays cold all day fill it with some ice at the hotel in the morning. will go to QS before lunch rush/ between lunch and dinner rush ( so 10:30, 3:00ish) the ride dose stay most of the day even in the middle of summer so I can refill it at a water fountain simply take the top off but the strowl in my moth to hold it and refill it.

I find when I did use my camel back ( I did search and rescue with my dog, I found my back hurting because of the weight of the water and that really anything bigger then this was way to heavy

I hoe this helps

We are thinking about getting a Camelbak style backpack for park touring. We definitely want one with the hydration pack and room for our gopro and sunscreen. Any advice on what one we should get? It will probably only get used for Disney and like Busch Gardens.

Mods if this isnt the right place for this please move.

Won't go without them! My kids all wear them as well and have for years.

We pack with ice in the morning and top off with water. As the day progresses we add more water. They actually keep us cool. Kids don't complain as much because they are hydrated.

We wear them backward on many rides. (We all have them on in my picture on here!)

My parents are coming. With us this summer - I bought them each one as part of their Christmas gift.

Rogue and lobo are the ones we have I believe.

If your hyrdration system doesn't come with a bite valve cover, you can add one fairly cheaply. I bought one for my son's Camebak for (IIRC) $5 off Amazon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter