• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Advice for those of you with Nov/Dec trips booked

ahhh this thread reminds me of when I was little at Disney. we went in November, waiting at the bus stop and it was pretty cold. I whined, and even my brother admitted he was cold. Off to the gift shop we went. My mom picked out sweatshirts for everyone (simple matching Mickey Mouse). my dad saw the price tag and said no way and he would rather freeze. So my mom said fine and bought hers mine and my brothers. We have a very cute picture of my brother and I in the sweatshirts at the tea cups. about 2 ours later it was so hot we tossed the sweatshirts in the lockers and never wore them for the rest of the trip....my dad still complains about the ridiculous pricing at Disney and that was 20+ yrs ago. We are going with my parents the first week in December and I am dreading packing.

ahhh this thread reminds me of when I was little at Disney. we went in November, waiting at the bus stop and it was pretty cold. I whined, and even my brother admitted he was cold. Off to the gift shop we went. My mom picked out sweatshirts for everyone (simple matching Mickey Mouse). my dad saw the price tag and said no way and he would rather freeze. So my mom said fine and bought hers mine and my brothers. We have a very cute picture of my brother and I in the sweatshirts at the tea cups. about 2 ours later it was so hot we tossed the sweatshirts in the lockers and never wore them for the rest of the trip....my dad still complains about the ridiculous pricing at Disney and that was 20+ yrs ago. We are going with my parents the first week in December and I am dreading packing.
LOL! Yeah, my suitcase is just going to be filled with everything! But....I don't like to suffer needlessly if I don't have to.

We went for the first time in November (15-22) last year and froze for most of the time. We normally travelled to WDW in June, July or August. We were so surprised at how chilly it was and we were not prepared! Yep, spent a small fortune on Mickey hoodies! Going back again Nov 14-21st and I am struggling with the packing - but I intend to be prepared this time! :-)

I'm so glad I found this thread! We're headed there next week and it would be great if there really are record highs. I don't even mind packing extra layers, but I'm really not looking forward to having to lug them around the parks or go back and forth to a locker :/.

Texas girl here going next week and I am so hoping the highs for next week stay in the mid 80s. That is perfect swimming weather. Any cooler and I start turning blue.

Texas girl here going next week and I am so hoping the highs for next week stay in the mid 80s. That is perfect swimming weather. Any cooler and I start turning blue.

I had to giggle. We are having a fall "heat wave" here in the 60s and my DD wore shorts to school yesterday. Hehe. Today they are still in short sleeves lol. It's 58 haha. Still looking forward to swimming weather, which it looks to be!!

We avoided the water rides when picking FP. But fortunately for us is was unseasonably warm two years ago the first week of December and we were in short sleeves the entire visit. But we had back ups if we needed them!

Yep, 2013 was my favorite December trip, low 80s the entire time, it was wonderful! Hoping for a repeat this December, going the first week. Unlike 5 years ago in December, when it was colder in FL than it was in CT! Since that trip, I pack gloves.

Yep, 2013 was my favorite December trip, low 80s the entire time, it was wonderful! Hoping for a repeat this December, going the first week. Unlike 5 years ago in December, when it was colder in FL than it was in CT! Since that trip, I pack gloves.
Fingers Crossed! And I do have gloves packed, just in case!

Bring everything. We went last Thanksgiving week. We experienced pretty much everything:

Sunday and Monday we were sweating in shorts and T-shirts
Tuesday it rained like I have never seen before
Wednesday and Thursday it was perfect, jeans and T-shirts with jackets in the evening
Friday we were shivering in sweaters and jeans

Speaking of Florida winter weather . . . .How does Disney handle opening rides like Splash and Kali? Anyone ridden these water rides on really cold days?

BOTH rides typically go into seasonal rehab after the holidays.

Yes, the water effects of splash can be turned to almost nothing. We've done it a number of cooler nights, as our last ride, and not gotten wet.

Kali, we usually just skip in winter. A nice plus of OLD FP was the flexibility where weather was concerned. If it was warm, we could opt to FP Kali on the spot. Actually, you probably can still do that. Or the opposite, if you see it will be too cold to enjoy - change it (ideally the night before that day, or that morning.) Then again, AK only has two real FP attractions.

One reason Fantasmic isn't a big favorite in our family has to do with a memory of seeing it on a very WET spring night. They almost cancelled, and we should have taken that as our cue. A serious windstorm blew the water effects right AT us, and we got soaked. (not sitting anywhere near front row, just downwind side.) I turned around and saw palm trees doubled over. When we got back to the hotel, sure enough, it was a rather severe storm.

Many winter days, are cold in the AM/PM, but not too bad in the afternoon. I'd aim to do Kali around 2-3pm...especially if you make it your last ride at AK. OH- and avoid wearing JEANS on Kali. (any denim.) You can also take the wimp route and wear a plastic poncho on the ride, but it might not help 100%.

We also like layers. I personally like bringing a dark colored fleece jacket. They are compact and very warm. One trip we took a newbie to WDW, and he didn't pack for the COLD. This was back when Illuminations was new. He was a bit whiny (cold, spending any $), so we took pity. Missing the fireworks wasn't an option, so I quickly bought a blanket at the Mexico shop and 'loaned' it to him so he could be warm and save face.

We have been several times in December. Have had beautiful pool weather, even at night. Also had freezing cold weather. Its Florida, you just never know

It isn't just the trip y'all have to think about!

More than once we got trapped in FL due to large storms!

Many of the poor people that weren't in the covered parking found their cars covered in a block of ICE, and no TOOLS to chip away that ice except their keys. Our flight was supposed to land about 4pm, but was delayed until almost 10pm!

So even if you don't need a winter coat in Florida- you MIGHT just need it when you arrive at your HOME airport.

Personally, I'd rather be prepared with a winter coat and gloves than freezing my fingers off.

BUT....always, I find layers, and multi-purpose items to be very helpful. I have a compact windbreaker from LLBean that is very useful for most rain. Combine it with a fleece under layer- and it is great protection in the wind/wet rain. I have brought long underwear, but now prefer black leggings. They can be worn as either a single layer on a nice day , or an under layer on a cool day. Double socks and .99cent magic gloves are great! Dark colors are great. HOODS are wonderful at WDW, in both rain and cold!

If all else fails- every DISer should also know there is a wonderful outlet mall VERY close to WDW! If you have a car, it is just on the other side of DTD!

Reactions: Cee
How long u there for?

We will be there from Saturday 11/14 through 11/19. Looks like low 80's in the daytime and maybe high 50's/low60's in the evening. In the past, layering has been the key for us.

Cant remember if i posted this earlier in the thread(I probably did but I'm too lazy to look!) but several years ago we happened to attend MVMCP in mid November on what may have been the coldest day in Florida history!

I will be careful and pack my winter wear this time! You never know what could happen..

I remember our New Year's trip several years ago. The first few days we were swimming, wearing shorts, and then BOOM down to the 50's. I remember my oldest DD insisting it would warm up and she had on shorts. She froze! and during Fantastic she used the rain poncho to stay warm. (darn kids they never listen!) For my December trip I'm taking it all! shorts, jeans, hoodie, gloves, swimsuit... whopee!

Bring everything. We went last Thanksgiving week. We experienced pretty much everything:

Sunday and Monday we were sweating in shorts and T-shirts
Tuesday it rained like I have never seen before
Wednesday and Thursday it was perfect, jeans and T-shirts with jackets in the evening
Friday we were shivering in sweaters and jeans
Wow! I hear you loud and clear. I'm bringing everything! From summer to Winter. Thanks for sharing your experience!

my family keeps rolling their eyes and laughing when i mention bringing pants and hoodies. i'll be the one laughing when i slip on my gloves while they shiver!

Reactions: Cee

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter