Advice for Disney Cruise from Barcelona to Rome

Momfeo5

Earning My Ears
Hello! We are getting ready to do our first Mediterranean cruise in June. We have booked the one way cruise in the beginning of June 2019 from Barcelona to Rome on the Magic. I do have some questions for those that have done this one.
1 - How did you arrange your air travel? Did you do a one way to Barcelona and then a one way home from Rome? Did you do a round trip and use a local airline to travel back to your point of origin? If so, what local airline did you use?

2 - How were the seas? Were they rough or fairly calm?

3 - What port excursions would you suggest?

Thanks to all!

I haven’t sailed on Magic in the Med, but your first questions are not cruise specific :

1- You can book either two one way tickets, two two-way tickets (by not using the second leg of both) or one ticket that incorporates both legs (A to Barcelona; Rome to A). I would choose which ever solution is the cheapest with an itinerary that satisfies me. There is no reason to go back to Barcelona after the cruise. I can’t imagine a situation where that option would be the cheapest, and it will certainly be a long journey home.

For example, we bought on the same ticket A to London to Copenhagen to Frankfurt to A, with a week stay in London and a 7 day cruise out of CPH. It was the cheapest way I found to buy all the legs, after plenty of tries.

Google Flights and Kayak allow you to find all those options. The hacker fares in Kayak are sometimes really helpful for those types of travel arrangement.

2- Like all places in the world, the Med will be as calm or as rough as the winds will allow. That being said, when we sailed there in the past in the summer, only some specific spots were problematic and you will not cross them on your voyage.

How you book airfare depends on who has the lowest fares. For low fare carriers who regularly have decent one way fares, you can look at one way for each leg and choose the carrier that has a schedule that fits you best. If you are looking at legacy carriers (United; American; Delta; British Airways, etc.), look at what is called an "Open Jaw" - flying into one city and home from another. Doing this in the US doesn't usually work but when you are going US to Europe and back, it does. (They give you 1/2 the round trip fare on each leg. So if RT to Barcelona is $600 and RT to Rome is $800, your in to Barcelona and back from Rome is $300 + $400. Hope that's clear.)

You want to select the multi-city option when looking at airfares.

Example:
home airport TO BCN
FCO TO home airport

I have always found it easier and to book using the same ticket. You don't have to keep track of multiple airlines/tickets and if there is a schedule change you can easily take care of it.

Did you do a one way to Barcelona and then a one way home from Rome? Did you do a round trip and use a local airline to travel back to your point of origin?

You can book either two one way tickets, two two-way tickets (by not using the second leg of both) or one ticket that incorporates both legs (A to Barcelona; Rome to A)

We haven't done a one-way cruise, but we usually visited family in Germany when we did European cruises. We were able to do a ticket that incorporated, for example, Toronto-Barcelona/Munich-Toronto or Toronto-Munich/London-Toronto with a return ticket between Barcelona and Munich or Munich to London where we only used one leg. For some reason, the one-way short-hop (London-Munich, Barcelona-Munich) flights were 5-6 times higher than a return ticket even accounting for only partially using it. For our recent trip to Italy, we flew into Rome and back from Milan on a single ticket. But if we had tried to buy a one-way to Rome and a one-way from Milan, it was multiple times more expensive which absolutely makes no sense given that I could book Toronto-Rome/Milan-Toronto. I don't know what the rationale is. You just have to experiment and see what the prices are. We also found that we were unable to use airline points to buy a one way between London/Munich or Barcelona/Munich but were able to use them for return tickets (of which we only used one leg). Terribly frustrating but you just have to do the research.

Hi there! We are doing the Rome to Barcelona cruise this year and seriously CAN'T WAIT! :cool1:

I have spent a very long time researching the same issue, and for us it made the most sense to do a "Multi-City" triangle flight. For example: Dallas - Barcelona; Rome - Dallas.

Luckily, Google flights and major airlines will let you search this way - just make sure you have the "Multi-City" option checked, usually where you would put in Round trip/One way. You basically get the significant cost savings of a round trip flight even though you're not quite doing round trip.

We have booked several private excursions, and there are many good options. If you want to go the private route, both Rome in Limo and Joe Banana Limo get consistently excellent reviews on both Trip Advisor and Cruise Critic.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and Barcelona Day Tours for Barcelona - another very reputable, well-reviewed company. Caveat is that I have not personally used them, Rome in Limo, or Joe Banana Limo - but their numerous reviews speak for themselves. :)

Hello! We are getting ready to do our first Mediterranean cruise in June. We have booked the one way cruise in the beginning of June 2019 from Barcelona to Rome on the Magic. I do have some questions for those that have done this one.
1 - How did you arrange your air travel? Did you do a one way to Barcelona and then a one way home from Rome? Did you do a round trip and use a local airline to travel back to your point of origin? If so, what local airline did you use?

2 - How were the seas? Were they rough or fairly calm?

3 - What port excursions would you suggest?

Thanks to all!
We cruised the Med last year in early to mid July and the seas were great. Everything was smooth and what I would call calm.

As for the air travel; my only suggestion would be to use the various travel sites to figure out which way would be best. For us our cruise started and ended in Barcelona and we were able to get a round trip ticket from our local city; but they were expensive. I could have saved around a third of the air fare costs if I would have flown from home; to NY and then to Barcelona; but it would have meant we leave around 8am local time and arrive in Barcelona around 11am their time; for a 27 hour trip. So the savings to me wasn't worth the added 13+ hours of travel time.

When it comes to port excursions; I would say find the ones that interest you and do your research from there. We ended up only doing two full day excursions with the rest being half day and both the wife and I feel that was a good choice for the both of us.

Psy

Be careful about booking two round-trip tickets and not using the 2nd portion of each flight. There are stories all over Rick Steves and the Points Guy about people who got burned doing this (esp. if both R/T's are on the same airline). Rather, do the "multi-city" option (e.g. at https://www.delta.com/flight-search/book-a-flight - change it to "Multi-city" at top). In general you will pay WAY more by buying two one-ways than one multi-leg.

Regarding the seas, they were very smooth until our last day (the day at sea between Rome and Barcelona).

Regarding port excursions, read my trip report in my signature - one I can NOT recommend was the one we did in Eze/Cannes. We did Pisa on our own which was easy, and our Rome excursion probably wouldn't apply to you since the trip starts there. Rome is pretty easy to do on your own if you fly in a few days early, Barcelona also easy to do on own.

We're on the same cruise in June. I didn't see an indication of a "formal night" on our 6-night cruise. Is there one or am I missing seeing where it is?

We're on the same cruise in June. I didn't see an indication of a "formal night" on our 6-night cruise. Is there one or am I missing seeing where it is?
HI! I actually just spoke with them this morning on another topic. Although I did not ask about formal night, they did tell me that the "schedule" of events for the cruise are usually done a few day before departure. So I am sure they will offer a "formal night" (although you do not have to participate in it). But they might not have that scheduled yet. :) Maybe we will see you on the cruise! :)

I haven’t sailed on Magic in the Med, but your first questions are not cruise specific :

1- You can book either two one way tickets, two two-way tickets (by not using the second leg of both) or one ticket that incorporates both legs (A to Barcelona; Rome to A). I would choose which ever solution is the cheapest with an itinerary that satisfies me. There is no reason to go back to Barcelona after the cruise. I can’t imagine a situation where that option would be the cheapest, and it will certainly be a long journey home.

For example, we bought on the same ticket A to London to Copenhagen to Frankfurt to A, with a week stay in London and a 7 day cruise out of CPH. It was the cheapest way I found to buy all the legs, after plenty of tries.

Google Flights and Kayak allow you to find all those options. The hacker fares in Kayak are sometimes really helpful for those types of travel arrangement.

2- Like all places in the world, the Med will be as calm or as rough as the winds will allow. That being said, when we sailed there in the past in the summer, only some specific spots were problematic and you will not cross them on your voyage.
Thank you for your advice!! :) We appreciate you taking the time to respond. :)

Seas.
Typically calm, but in Barcelona for two cruises 2018; we had an unusual storm come through making it rough, strong winds and thunder, this is rare. It made Cannes a little rough the next day. But normally glass like unless mistral winds come down south of France.

Livorno and Rome.

https://www.romeprivateguides.com/

Have a booked time for Michelangelo in Florence and going up Pisa.
Book going in through the Arena entrance a fastpass to the stage st Coliseum. Far better than standard entrance to sides or top. Coaches go in, in lens taking ages.
Vatican book a guide and fast in line entrance.

Barcelona
Book
Park Guell
Sagrada familia.
I had problems 2of 3 tours with Barcelona day tours not recommended.

Cannes.

Tender port, easy to get off, walk the town, visit all sites, and get the tourist train and save $$$$$

Use this for port guides.

https://www.tomsportguides.com/
Cannes Villefranche, Livorno Rome.

Time trains and from port.

https://www.rometoolkit.com/airport/fiumicino_airport_train.htm

Flights.

Open jaw, into Barcelona and out if Rome.

This isn’t Rome to Barcelona specific, but when we took our kids to Europe last year, we flew into London and out of Paris. It was two “one way” tickets but booked at the same time with the same confirmation number.

Last year the seas were calm except the last day.

We did private tours in Barcelona, Pompeii, and Rome. Links are in my trip report. The DCL Pisa excursion was quick and fun. Just right for our family. For Cannes, we got off the ship, shopped a bit, and enjoyed the beach.

We used a neat company called Rome in Limo for our Italian ports of call. It really is a Mercedes Mini Van they pick you up in. The tour is by locals. We had the best time with Stefan in Rome. Saw more in Rome in one day than we probably would have in a week. Very reasonable in my opinion! Still is the Port of Call my kids talk the most about! Even took us to a local grocery on the way home to buy wine....which by the way was 3.50 Euro rather than 20 Euro at the tourist locations lol! The most important tip about the stop for Rome is that the city is actually 60 minutes from the port and the port does not have much of anything within walking distance to see or do, so definitely make sure you book an excursion. Rome in Limo picked us up right were we got off the ship and we were off!

Hi. Not sure of your ports- but we did the 12 Mediterranean cruise a few years ago. My kids were almost 14 and 11 at the time. We did all private or dyi. They still talk about Gladiator school in Rome, mask painting in Venice (paid $30 each and Disney offered it for $200), Angelo’s boat tour in Cinq de Terre and river rafting from France port.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter