• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

ADRs a week away, please help with ideas!

Broncobilly83

DIS Veteran
A little background so you know where we are coming from, as we are both open to suggestions. The last time I was at the park was Feb 2000, during their Millennium celebration. There was no dining plans, and Fast Pass was relatively new. The last time she was at the park, Epcot had just opened. We are both big Christmas people which is why we chose that time to go. For a true experience, we talked about a character dining versus regular dining. I thought about proposing to her while there, but will now probably do it the day before we leave, so we have a week to enjoy it by ourselves before our friends find out.

We are staying at POFQ, and we arrive in Orlando on Saturday, Dec 26th, at 11AM. We have a 7 day park hopper pass, and 7 table credits per person, and leave early Saturday, Jan 2nd.

Here is the park schedule we figured out, based on EMHs and shows we want to see. If someone has any better ideas, I am open, with the exception of the 26th, as we both want to see that specific CP.

Sat the 26th - Epcot (CP with Edward James Olmos)
Sun the 27th - DHS (Fantasmic)
Mon the 28th - MK
Tues the 29th - Epcot
Weds the 30th - MK
Thurs the 31st - Morning at AK, evening at Downtown Disney (it was advised not be at the parks for NYE)
Fri the 1st - Any Ideas?!?
Sat the 2nd - Leave at 9AM

Here is how I envision my ADRs, and once again if anyone has a better idea, I am open. These were chosen based on the reviews and menus posted on WDWInfo:

Sat the 26th - Epcot @ Rose & Crown Pub (2 TS per since CP)
Sun the 27th - DHS @ Mama Melrose's (Fantasmic Dinner 1 TS per)
Mon the 28th - MK @ The Plaza (1 TS per)
Tues the 29th - Epcot @ Le Cellier Steakhouse (1 TS per)
Weds the 30th - MK @ Liberty Tree Tavern (1 TS per)
Thurs the 31st - AK @ Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House (1 TS per)
Fri the 1st - Since we do not even know what park, hard to choose, plus out of credits by this point so we wing it :lmao:

Thanks to all who read and give input
Bill

Ohhhh, proposing. How wonderful for you both. Have you thought about booking a carriage ride or a sleigh ride?? I think one or the other is offered at POR/FQ or WL. What a great way/place to propose. Just a thought.
Your thoughts look pretty good to me. The only things I would be concerned about would be LeCellier. Be sure to have a backup..that one seems to be really hard to get. Also....I used to love LTT, but for dinner it just doesn't 'get it done' for me anymore. Maybe Crystal Palace if you guys like Winnie-the-Pooh. Or head over to the GF and have dinner at the GF Cafe...very pleasant and you can get right back to MK for the night.

Best of luck to you both. Be sure to come back and tell us how it goes!!! I'm so jealous!

Ohhhh, proposing. How wonderful for you both. Have you thought about booking a carriage ride or a sleigh ride?? I think one or the other is offered at POR/FQ or WL. What a great way/place to propose. Just a thought.
Your thoughts look pretty good to me. The only things I would be concerned about would be LeCellier. Be sure to have a backup..that one seems to be really hard to get. Also....I used to love LTT, but for dinner it just doesn't 'get it done' for me anymore. Maybe Crystal Palace if you guys like Winnie-the-Pooh. Or head over to the GF and have dinner at the GF Cafe...very pleasant and you can get right back to MK for the night.

Best of luck to you both. Be sure to come back and tell us how it goes!!! I'm so jealous!

Yes I had thought about a carriage ride/sleigh ride, but she is a horse person have raised and owned for many years. I would just be hesitant about if she sees a problem with the horse as that is a big peeve of hers.

I was hoping by doing LeCellier on the 29th, the 90+10 rule would give me a chance compared to someone just arriving on the 28th or 29th. But what would you suggest, as I thought Nine Dragons, but that had a lousy rating.

Also, I never thought about doing a resort dining, even though not at the resort, is that OK?

Well, first off, congratulations!!

It has been many, many years since I was there for Christmas, so I don't have great advice for that, but. . .

Liberty Tree Tavern isn't character dining anymore, apparently. The food is ok, but without the characters I personally would skip it. I think I would go for something like California Grill or Narcossee's on NYE. You have a MK view of the fireworks and great food at both. I expect both will be in high demand. I think I would pay for the Plaza or something OOP and then use 2 credits for a special dinner that night, but that is just me. DTD might also be a total zoo on NYE, a resort might offer a less chaotic atmosphere, but others who have been during this time might say something different.

We have had good experiences at both Rose and Crown and Mama Melrose, so I recommend those. I'm trying the Tusker House breakfast for the first time in about a month, so I'll have to let you know on that one.

Have fun planning!:thumbsup2

Dining at the resorts is certainly permitted!

In fact, I recommend many resort restaurants over park dining. Nothing at Mk is particularly notable regarding the food. Outside the MK you have

Polynesian
'Ohana
Kona Cafe (our choice)

Contemporary
The Wave
California Grill (2 TS) - very special, along with view of Wishes

Grand Floridian
1900 Park Fare
Citrico's (I think 2TS)
Narcoosee's (one of our favorites)

Wilderness Lodge
Artist Point (one of our favorites)

See the menus for these and others at allears.net

I was thinking of Contemporary actually, since we can do the park by day, finish the day at the rest. and then head back to our hotel?

Absolutely doable. Just remember that the buses back to the resorts stop running about 2 hrs after the park closes. If you are at the CR, Polynesian or GF, it will be very easy to get back to MK and onto a PO bus. And they all have terrific restaurants.
Really, I would almost do all my meals at the various resorts..they are wonderful and not as crowded as the park restaurants. Okay, some are crowded and busy...Chef Mickey's is crazy, as is 1900 Park Fare. 'Ohana can be crowded as well.
But if you want to spend a bit more for food, I would certainly look at California Grill, Narcoosee's or Artist Point at WL...all wonderful restaurants.

No need to worry about the horses at Disney. I grew up with horses as well....those horses are looked on as family, I swear. I did the trail ride with my dh (so not a horse person!!) and my then 9 y/o dd (terrified but wanted to do it) at Ft.W. Those people were terrific, with both the horses and the guests. I would doubt your girlfriend (soon hopefully to be your fiance!!!:hug:) would find anything to worry about. Not trying to change any minds here, just putting it out there.

Have fun planning!! Ohh, what a lucky lady she is!

BroncoBilly, my wife and 3 kids and my mom will be there the EXACT dates you will be there.

We are going to try and do CP on the 26th as well...I was thinking Le Cellier or Coral Reef and I know we are hitting MK on the 27th...we love the Evening EMH at MK...besides that I am not sure (I have a spreadsheet at home for what I want but I don't have it in front of me.

Time is getting close to make those ADR's

Dining at the resorts is certainly permitted!

In fact, I recommend many resort restaurants over park dining. Nothing at Mk is particularly notable regarding the food. Outside the MK you have

Contemporary
The Wave
California Grill (2 TS) - very special, along with view of Wishes

Ok, based on the input so far, here is what I got with changes, but that ranges other issues:

Tues the 29th - Epcot @ Le Cellier Steakhouse (1 TS per) (Need a backup in case booked)
Weds the 30th - MK @ Contemporary Califorina Grill (2 TS per during 8:30 WISHES)
Thurs the 31st - AK @ Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House (Out of TS Credits)
Fri the 1st - Since we do not even know what park, hard to choose, plus out of credits by this point so we wing it :lmao:

Now the issues:

1) I run out of TS credits for Fri and Sat with this revised schedule, can I still book through, and will I need a credit card to hold the rests. for Fri and Sat?

2) AllEars.net states the Wishes show has music. Do I lose some of the show quality by being in a rest., or is the music piped into the California Grill?

3) Wishes starts at 8:30 on the 30th. What time should my dinner res. be for, and when I make it should I mention that I am going to watch Wishes?

No need to worry about the horses at Disney. I grew up with horses as well....those horses are looked on as family, I swear. I did the trail ride with my dh (so not a horse person!!) and my then 9 y/o dd (terrified but wanted to do it) at Ft.W. Those people were terrific, with both the horses and the guests. I would doubt your girlfriend (soon hopefully to be your fiance!!!:hug:) would find anything to worry about. Not trying to change any minds here, just putting it out there.

That is good to know. I might do that the last night we are there then, as we have that day open so far. As for girlfriend to fiance, I am sure she will say yes as she had been planning our wedding for a while now, she knows that I had a bad marriage breakup and told me when I was ready, she would be too.

Ok, based on the input so far, here is what I got with changes, but that ranges other issues:

Tues the 29th - Epcot @ Le Cellier Steakhouse (1 TS per) (Need a backup in case booked)
Weds the 30th - MK @ Contemporary Califorina Grill (2 TS per during 8:30 WISHES)
Thurs the 31st - AK @ Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House (Out of TS Credits)

Now the issues:

1) I run out of TS credits for Fri and Sat with this revised schedule, can I still book through, and will I need a credit card to hold the rests. for Fri and Sat?

2) AllEars.net states the Wishes show has music. Do I lose some of the show quality by being in a rest., or is the music piped into the California Grill?

3) Wishes starts at 8:30 on the 30th. What time should my dinner res. be for, and when I make it should I mention that I am going to watch Wishes?
1. Yes, you can still book addtl meals..you will just have to pay for them out of pocket. I have used all my TS credits for my Dec trip but have about 3 extra meals planned!!! I love eating in WDW!!! A few meals might require a cc to hold them, but I think the only one you have would be the CP pkg that would need the cc.

2. I think you do lose a bit, but I 'think' they pipe in the music to a particular spot at the CG. I know someone said that they hadn't finished eating but were allowed to get up and go to a particular spot to watch and listen, then return to their meal. Might want to check that out on the Restaurant board though.

3. I would imagine that getting a seating between 7:30-8 would do it.

That is good to know. I might do that the last night we are there then, as we have that day open so far. As for girlfriend to fiance, I am sure she will say yes as she had been planning our wedding for a while now, she knows that I had a bad marriage breakup and told me when I was ready, she would be too.
I'm sorry about your nasty breakup, but it does sound like you've hit the jackpot now. Have fun planning, and most of all, have the best time ever at WDW!!!

Sounds like you have a great trip planned - you're definitely doing your research, which is good. As far as your adr's they all look good, although I might forgo the Plaza and instead eat at one of the monorail resort restaurants, and although I've never eaten there, I don't hear a lot of good things about Mama Melrose. But, you are going at a busy time of the year, so doing the Fantasmic dining package is probably a good idea so you don't have to get there insanely early to see the show. Congrats on your pending engagement! I'm sure you'll have a memorable week!:goodvibes

Now the issues:

If wishes is at 8:30, I would try for a 7:40-8pm ADR, because people may tried to extend their meal longer to watch the Fireworks, so you wouldn't want to go for the 8:30 ADR and not get seated until much later.

For Le Cellier, be flexible, it may be easier to get the times you want closer to the end of your trip, which means if you can't get it on the 29th, you should try for the 1st, because it's a really good value on the DP.

You can definitely still book all your ADRs (for my honeymoon in January we had 11 credits booked, when we only had 9 available) The ADRs that require a CC guarantee, require a CC guarantee whether you're on the Dining Plan or not. For you, that would be the Fantasmic Dinner Package and the California Grill.
Since you are planning on booking extra meals, you should take into consideration the cost of each of your meals. Tusker House breakfast may be the cheapest, so the lease value on the Dining Plan, but since you're also planning the Plaza, you may find that you want to pay out-of-pocket for the Plaza towards the beginning of your trip, and leave the credits for Tusker House. (on our trip we were planning on paying out-of-pocket for Boma on our last morning, and ended up canceling it, because we had extra CS credits, but no more TS)
You could even decide to pay OOP for both, then book another high dollar meal for your last day with your last credit.

Just a couple of thoughts...we went to Mama Melrose last year and found it to be MUCH better than the year before--don't know why, but I would now think about going back. We ate at Raglan Road in DTD for New Year's last year. It was great--terrific food and a great atmosphere. They did an early NY countdown with champagne toasts and hats/noisemakers--really a lot of fun.

I would definitely pay for Plaza out of pocket and not use a TS credit there--I know people like their food, but I think it does really have a counter type feel to it--though you would have a reserved spot to eat, and that can be great at that time of year. We actually loved eating at the Noodle Station at that time of year--you can even see the shows at the castle from there. Have fun!

I'm going to move this over to our restaurant board for you. I'm sure the folks over there will have lots of suggestions for you.

Three days to go, thought I would bump it for final thoughts. Still do not have a replacement for Le Celliar should it be unavailable. Any ideas?

Anyone have any ideas for the 1st of January, I think I will still have 1 credit left, and I do not even know what park I am going to on the 1st. I will be up at 3AM to start booking Sunday :happytv:

Here is my updated schedule:

Mon the 28th - MK @ Crystal Palace (will pay out of pocket since fixed cost)
Tues the 29th - Epcot @ Le Cellier Steakhouse (1 TS per) (Teppon Ido or Biergarten as backup)
Thurs the 31st - AK @ Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House (will pay out of pocket since fixed cost)
Fri the 1st - Since we do not even know what park, hard to choose, will have 1 credit LEFT!

Anyone have any ideas for the 1st of January, I think I will still have 1 credit left, and I do not even know what park I am going to on the 1st. I will be up at 3AM to start booking Sunday :happytv:

Here is my updated schedule:

Mon the 28th - MK @ Crystal Palace (will pay out of pocket since fixed cost)
Tues the 29th - Epcot @ Le Cellier Steakhouse (1 TS per) (Teppon Ido or Biergarten as backup)
Thurs the 31st - AK @ Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House (will pay out of pocket since fixed cost)
Fri the 1st - Since we do not even know what park, hard to choose, will have 1 credit LEFT!

Just a note. Ther CP packages have been hard to get in the past. You may want to have a backup location ready just in case. I would suggest Coral Reef if you eat seafood. It was FAB last year. Also, if you absolutely cannot get CP for some reason, you will have an extra TS to play with as that meal will be 1TS without the package. I think a resort meal would be good for the 1st. MY first choice would be Ohana.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter