ADR hack - does it still work?

Clarky

Earning My Ears
I remember hearing of an ADR hack for avoiding the cancelation fees within 24 hours. The tip was to reschedule the ADR to a time beyond the 24 hour window and then cancel it. We've got a large group heading to WDW in the next few weeks, and I'm wondering if anybody knows if this tip still works, as we may need to be flexible given the current situation and the cancelation fees would be quite a bit of cash!

Can you explain a little more. Do you mean that the day of ADR that you can’t make you just modify it for 24+ hours instead of trying to cancel it that day?

Can you explain a little more. Do you mean that the day of ADR that you can’t make you just modify it for 24+ hours instead of trying to cancel it that day?

Yes exactly. It used to be a well known way of canceling a reservation without incurring fees if something came up on the day of your ADR!

It doesn’t always work and people have been caught out. If you think that there is a real chance that you may cancel, then make reservations with restaurants that are bookable through Open Table, you can then cancel, without penalty, up to the time of your reservation. Try to give the restaurant as much notice as you can though.

Sometimes. Our last trip, we ended up being late and I tried to modify it to different date and it told me that I couldn't modify online and it gave me a number to call. We ended up hoofing it to the restaurant and made it in time.

A few things to be careful about:

1) if it is a popular restaurant you may not find an opening.

2) problems with the app happen all the time. There is always a chance that you will not be able to make the change.

I had both experiences in December. I was able to modify one reservation successfully to a future date, which I then cancelled. Another reservation, however, told me I had to call to make changes. This could have been a glitch. I was trying to modify a reservation that was more than 24 hours. It gave me a number to call, so I did. The woman who answered sounded rather annoyed that I was calling instead of doing it in MDE. She asked me if I had tried to cancel in MDE. I told her yes. She wanted to know what it said. So I told her, “call to modify.” LOL. It took much longer than it needed to because she was insistent that I needed to do it in MDE. Maybe it was a glitch.

This thread has been reported as a violation of Disney policy

i don’t agree. If the mouse allows you to modify an adr same day, then it is a legal option.
Completely agree!! And modifying it prevents the no shows that was the real problem that desperately needed to be addressed.

If it ever doesn't work, try calling the number given. When we had a Tiffins reservation but we decided to go to Ale and Compass instead, just a few hours before our reservation, I called to cancel the Tiffins reservation. The CM asked why I was canceling and I was completely honest and just said we had changed our minds. She gave me a lecture about how she could charge me the $10 per person fee but was going to waive it. I think the $10 fee is mostly to deter people from making a reservation and then just never showing up without canceling or calling.

Last edited:
It didn’t work for me when I tried to change my ADR right at my reservation time. I had to call. She let me cancel with no penalty but I got a bit of a lecture. Otherwise I’ve never had a problem moving an ADR to, say, August then cancelling.

make reservations with restaurants that are bookable through Open Table, you can then cancel, without penalty, up to the time of your reservation.
Except Raglan Road. Check before making the reservation. There's nowva something-hour cancellation requirement. Two, maybe four?
@Pumbaa_ agreed! 😂 If they wanted to stop people doing it, they could push a software update that stopped modification within 24 hours...

A violation of Disney policy? Really? Haha.
I'm not the poster who reported it(!) but I can see how someone could interpret it that way.We're not supposed to discuss ways to "get around" Disney's rules, and this hack actually does get around the loss of the $10 pp deposit/cancellation fee.

Not in any way criticizing @Pumbaa_'s determination!

Go for it. It's a chance you take.

Just remember that Disney could close this loophole/hack at any time. If they close it, even if it's the day you attempt to use it when they close it, you'll have no ground to stand on in arguing your case. Disney policy does actually say "You must cancel at least one day prior to your reservation to avoid a per person cancellation fee".

Though if someone has a large party as OP said and they plan do to use this trick often then it’s not very considerate of others in my opinion. People who are trying to make ADRs then can’t get times and places they want to eat. I get it if it’s a “can’t be helped one time occasion” but just because it’s a Disney loophole doesn’t make it good manners to use as a way just to make multiple reservations.

I don’t consider this a hack or breaking rules. IF (and that’s a big if) Disney allows you to reschedule an adr, then Disney allows same day modifications.

if you can’t, then you can’t and then you are on the hook.

I don’t consider this a hack or breaking rules. IF (and that’s a big if) Disney allows you to reschedule an adr, then Disney allows same day modifications.

if you can’t, then you can’t and then you are on the hook.

Exactly. It's a risk to try and reschedule as you have to accept that you might not be able to, and if that's the case then that's on you for not showing up to your ADR. When we (eventually) get to Disney, we'll be traveling with two children who have special needs, as well as an adult who needs some additional support, and last minute changes are likely to need to happen. It's just nice to know that we have a chance of accommodating everybody's needs 😊

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter