• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Adoption Trip Ideas

PrincessSophiasMom

Mouseketeer
We are going to WDW in September to celebrate the adoption of our youngest daughter. The adoption should be finial in August and we thought her first Disney trip would be a great gift from us! Any ideas on how to make the trip extra special for our family? Our 7 year old is already showing her videos of past trips and they love watching the FoF parade together on YouTube each morning. She will still only be 1 year old and I know she won't remember, but we plan to take lots of pictures and videos to show her in the future how we celebrated her FINALLY being a permanent part of our family!!!

Don't really have any ideas other than be sure to get Memory Maker so you can all take a ton of pictures together as a family! Also wanted to say congrats! We're going through the adoption process right now and the birth mom we're matched with is due June 20th!! We are driving out to meet her this weekend, can't wait! We have a Disney cruise booked for next year to celebrate bringing DD into our family!

I would make matching FAMILY t-shirts, with everyone listed and take tons of pics. Like you said she won't remember the trip itself, but she will look through the pictures often as she grows and realize she has been part of your family even when she was little. Congrats.

We are going to WDW in September to celebrate the adoption of our youngest daughter. The adoption should be finial in August and we thought her first Disney trip would be a great gift from us! Any ideas on how to make the trip extra special for our family? Our 7 year old is already showing her videos of past trips and they love watching the FoF parade together on YouTube each morning. She will still only be 1 year old and I know she won't remember, but we plan to take lots of pictures and videos to show her in the future how we celebrated her FINALLY being a permanent part of our family!!!

I'm an adoptive parent too, and congratulations on officially becoming a family!

I've seen a least two kinds of adoption celebrations - one is more of a focus on the adoptee, another is more of a focus on becoming a family. For our adoption we opted for the "becoming a family" celebration, especially since we had a bio-son, and we wanted the celebration about becoming a family (new daughter/parent, new sister/brother, etc.). We called our adoptive day "Our Family Day". As such if it were me, I might position the trip as a "becoming a family" celebration trip and that includes your daughters becoming sisters. That way the gift is not just for the 1 year old but also your 7 year old, and your spouse and you. It gives lots of license to celebrate both daughters on the trip too, vs focusing on just the 1 year old. I like the inclusive aspect of this approach, especially since siblings can often have a longer relationship the rest of their lives together because of their age, then they will with their parents.

Have a great trip!

I second the idea of matching family shirts and Memory Maker. Seek out any magic shots they can do. Make her a really neat scrapbook/ photo album that she can look at when she's older. Also maybe let her pick out her own pair of ears while you are there- my daughter loved picking between two or three items at that age. I would also try to emphasize some sister stuff, such as sister shirts, letting older DD hold younger dd's hand to take her up to characters (if younger DD isn't scared), stuff to help those two to bond. Also maybe something special just for older DD like a special ride individually with each parent or Pick a Pearl or BBB... Something to celebrate her being a big sister and make her feel special.

Congratulations and have a wonderful trip!

I'm an adoptive parent too, and congratulations on officially becoming a family!

I've seen a least two kinds of adoption celebrations - one is more of a focus on the adoptee, another is more of a focus on becoming a family. For our adoption we opted for the "becoming a family" celebration, especially since we had a bio-son, and we wanted the celebration about becoming a family (new daughter/parent, new sister/brother, etc.). We called our adoptive day "Our Family Day". As such if it were me, I might position the trip as a "becoming a family" celebration trip and that includes your daughters becoming sisters. That way the gift is not just for the 1 year old but also your 7 year old, and your spouse and you. It gives lots of license to celebrate both daughters on the trip too, vs focusing on just the 1 year old. I like the inclusive aspect of this approach, especially since siblings can often have a longer relationship the rest of their lives together because of their age, then they will with their parents.

Have a great trip!

I should also have added that we like "Family Day" too because it also allows us to be respectful of the birth family (and how that connection is also a part of the overall story). As your child gets older, celebration of "the day" may also be a reminder of the adoptee's loss of birth family. It can be a day that also is an opportunity to reflect on all her "family" (birth and adoptive) and acknowledge that loss.

We celebrated our adoption at Disney last year! It was so magical! We took lots of pictures. One thing I did was asked a friend to make our daughter then 2 a sash that was hot pink with glittery silver writing that read Adopted on it. We had her wear it in pictures ( just a few) like in front of the castle we did it in the am and night...night ones were the cutest and she stood with her brother and sister. Our son which was 6 wore a big brother t-shirt. Our big kids loved to make it about them as well! Being siblings! Made the CM tear up twice! There was a long line and our 2 year old was less then cooperative but she just kept trying! So thankful! Disney is such a magical place anyways but to bring even more magic in like adoption it's a whole new magic.... And we have had our daughter since birth.... But to make it official and celebrate it there was amazing! Also we had her 1st haircut at Harmony barbershop!

Another way to celebrate is have Disney make an adoption cake to be delivered to one of your sit down meals. I had planned to do this, but never did....lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter