• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Admit it, you've been that rude guest!

Surprised that you don't consider this to be rude. Maybe I misunderstood you there.

Coming from a Southern home, I would. Because they cannot understand the comment doesn't change the intent - kinda like swearing in a foreign language and hoping not to be understood.

I said I usually don't get rude at Disney. I didn't say I never get rude at Disney. That is how I handle my rude moments. I could very calmly tell them to go screw themselves in plain English (or not so calmly), but it will cause an argument or escalate the situation, so I choose to say "bless your heart" and move along.

I said I usually don't get rude at Disney. I didn't say I never get rude at Disney. That is how I handle my rude moments. I could very calmly tell them to go screw themselves in plain English (or not so calmly), but it will cause an argument or escalate the situation, so I choose to say "bless your heart" and move along.
Well, you handle them better than I do, so I am certainly not judging you.

All of us have been the 'rude guest' at one time or another, when visiting Disney World. Maybe it was accidental. Maybe we were overtired and not at our best.

My example: Coronado Springs, midday, just watched a full bus zoom by and my husband is getting progressively crankier as we've already been waiting 25 minutes for a darn bus. We were not the first folks at our stop. There were a couple families ahead of us.

When the next bus showed up, now 45 min into our wait, the bus driver was foolish enough to stop and tell us he's too full. Whereupon, I popped up and said, "But there's only two of us, and we've got fast passes to Soaring that will be expiring soon!"

The folks in the bus, on hearing that, made room for us. So much room, in fact, that a young couple who'd just arrived at our stop were able to squeeze in behind us. And as we pulled away, I saw the faces of the two families who'd been waiting longer than us, and realized, oops, I'm that rude person they vent about on the Disboards!

What's your story? When were you 'that person'?
Not

Well, you handle them better than I do, so I am certainly not judging you.

We could go to the parks and handle the situations on opposite ends of the spectrum and receive our own Odd Couple style reality show. I'm already picturing the opening credits montage. It will be fantastic. :rotfl:

My rudeness was completely by accident. It was our first MVMCP (2000, I think), and my wife and friend had just gotten into pin trading. According to what we had read, the special Christmas Party pin was being sold at the shop attached to Tony's, and they sent me over to buy them each one. So I walked in the door, walked up to the counter, bought two, and left. As I was walking out, I noticed the loooooong line of people waiting to get in the door ... to buy the special pins! I felt pretty bad, but I just didn't know. :confused3

- Bob

I actually have little patience for the picture takers. Oh sure, I have no problem with those taking pictures and will generally try to stay out of the path, but you know, if your execting an entire walking path to hold off from walking through while you are lining up your pictures, you got another thing coming- you don't own the entire path. Place is too crowded for that nonsense.

I'm the same way. I will usually try to avoid ruining someone's photo. But if your family is posing in front of Walt and you're standing thirty feet off and taking forever? Sorry. I've got other plans for my day.

I've had those, too, but I have to say, I've never been the one who started them.

Like, when I was on crutches and the speedramp leading out of Pirates of the Caribbean was broken. The CM at the exit told me he wasn't allowed to send guests with disabilities up in the elevator and I'd have to walk up the ramp on my crutches. I tried, but couldn't make it. After I struggled back down, he sighed, huffed, and repeated what he'd said earlier, which I knew wasn't true. I did get impatient with him then, but I would have had to have the patience of a saint NOT to.

Oh believe me, I've never intended to start anything either. I walk into the park with nothing but the intention of having a great day. But those photopass people in the character lines irk me. I'm sure from their perspective, they want to get the heck out of there when their timeslot of over, probably because they got a break/lunch coming, which is probably why they are so forceful when "times up" and if they didn't "draw the line" they'd never get out of there.

But in my case, I felt their tone was definitely not right, and with Gaston's "handler" in my particular experience, I think she was taking her job "duty" way above and beyond what was called for. She can mind that line but don't tell me what to do outside of her little queue when I'm not being unruly or blocking anything.

Oh my goodness! I would be in a complete panic too! How long did it take you to find him?

God takes care of babies and fools! He stood up to spin the toy I gave him and I saw him. I have never been so scared! My mother really didn't love the idea that he went on the trip with me but I was a young professional and could afford to take him and begged and begged so she let me. He had a great trip and had no idea I almost lost him!

We cut the queue when Belle first opened.

I still can't believe we did it. I have no excuse, I know better, I never did it before or since. 6 joining 1 in the queue who had "saved" us a spot. :sad2:

the woman directly behind us was not pleased. She kicked my heel "accidently" every time the line moved. I actually kind of smiled to myself because I kind of deserved it and I did apologize to her and she pretended that she wasn't kicking my heel on purpose. It wasn't hostile like it might sound, her hubby was kind of smiling about the whole thing too.

I wasn't intentionally rude.. but when Aloha Isle was in it's old spot I accidentally cut in front of a bunch of people. It had two lines, forming to each side of the building. Well, this particular day (or just these particular people), there were several people standing in the middle part, where you exit. I legitimately thought they were waiting on their order. Knowing how this queue works, I got in the left hand line where there was no one waiting. The CM looked directly at me and took my order - while the people waiting in the middle were all giving me dirty looks, and telling me that they were in line. Um.. you sort of weren't, really. I probably should have let them go ahead, but I was already ordering when I realized what happened.
I don't have any problem going to an open line if it's empty and the other side of it's full though. (CS restaurants, tapstiles, bag check, etc) That's just poor planning on the part of the people standing in that line.

I also get frustrated when people walk soooo slowly, and you cannot get around them. If I see a gap that I know I can get through without stepping in front of someone/cutting someone else off, etc, I'm going to take it. I'm not going to push my way through a wall of people though.

I'm seeing a trend in this thread though. Most people have been rude unitentionally, and immediately regret being rude. I think that makes all the difference in the world. :lovestruc

We cut the queue when Belle first opened.

I still can't believe we did it. I have no excuse, I know better, I never did it before or since. 6 joining 1 in the queue who had "saved" us a spot. :sad2:

the woman directly behind us was not pleased. She kicked my heel "accidently" every time the line moved. I actually kind of smiled to myself because I kind of deserved it and I did apologize to her and she pretended that she wasn't kicking my heel on purpose. It wasn't hostile like it might sound, her hubby was kind of smiling about the whole thing too.

I hold spots in line for the character meeting. If there are a bunch of characters out, all of the adults in our family split and the kids run from line to line. When we get in line, we always tell those who come behind us, that we are holding space for # number of kids.

I don't think it's rude.

I love this thread! You guys and gals are fantastic and I kind of just want to hang out with all of you. We can form a tiny Disney gang. I usually don't get rude at Disney (everywhere else is a completely separate matter!), but the times I have felt the rudeness coming up whether it was towards another guest or a CM or someone in my traveling party I just did what any proper southern woman would do. Look them dead in the eye, smile the sweetest smile you can, and in the most sticky sweet voice imaginable say, "Oh, bless your heart." Works great! Unless they understand the full meaning they generally feel like they've pacified me or aren't in the wrong, but I get the satifaction of knowing I told them to go screw themselves. It just works in so many situations, it's fantastic. Someone line jumps, bless their heart. Someone runs you over (inten:rotfl2:tionally or unapologetically), bless their heart. Someone jumps in front of you at the parade at the last minute, bless their heart. Your DW or DH gets cranky for whatever reason, bless their heart. It is just the best.

I think I love you! My aunt (in Mississippi) says the same thing, and it cracks me up every time.

I hold spots in line for the character meeting. If there are a bunch of characters out, all of the adults in our family split and the kids run from line to line. When we get in line, we always tell those who come behind us, that we are holding space for # number of kids.

I don't think it's rude.

Wow that is actually a really good idea. Do the guests seem to mind when you tell them?

My grandmother would say "bless your heart" when I did something that was really dumb.She was from Burnside KY.I know it can mean other things but I still associate that phrase with I've done something dumb.It doesn't bother me if someone says it to me.I still do dumb things,usually on a daily basis.Plus it's a lot better than other things I've been called.:rolleyes1:duck:

Reactions: Cee
I love this thread! You guys and gals are fantastic and I kind of just want to hang out with all of you. We can form a tiny Disney gang. I usually don't get rude at Disney (everywhere else is a completely separate matter!), but the times I have felt the rudeness coming up whether it was towards another guest or a CM or someone in my traveling party I just did what any proper southern woman would do. Look them dead in the eye, smile the sweetest smile you can, and in the most sticky sweet voice imaginable say, "Oh, bless your heart." Works great! Unless they understand the full meaning they generally feel like they've pacified me or aren't in the wrong, but I get the satifaction of knowing I told them to go screw themselves. It just works in so many situations, it's fantastic. Someone line jumps, bless their heart. Someone runs you over (intentionally or unapologetically), bless their heart. Someone jumps in front of you at the parade at the last minute, bless their heart. Your DW or DH gets cranky for whatever reason, bless their heart. It is just the best.

I assure you that just about everyone in the entire United States know exactly what you just said. You're not pulling abything over on anyone. We all get it.

I can empathize. People use tactics like this all the time to advance in line, get a better spot, etc. It drives me crazy because I'm that type of person who thinks up a huge long strategy to make sure I am NOT the person asking other patrons who have patiently waited a long time to "let me through" or "scooch over" because my party is waiting for me. I'm sure there are scenarios that are beyond control, but still, most of us would happily do this for a SINCERE person, but most of the fakes have tarnished us.

I am usually on my best behavior, even to the point to where I might even accept a bit of abuse, but my two biggest weaknesses to keeping my temper are line jumpers and bus etiquette. Line jumpers: 'nuff said. However, with buses...I know everyone is tired and did their part to show up early, and you never know anyone's situation like perhaps they recently had surgery on their foot etc, but I have a soft spot for moms very late in their pregnancy and them not having a spot to sit. Yes, I do realize they are on their way to or from a park where they will (or just did) spend the better part of hours and hours on their feet, but I can't help it. Them and those with tiny kiddos that I'm sure would have a hard struggle to remain balanced in the event that the bus driver had to suddenly brake or take sharp turns. I've never been pregnant at Disney, but I've had my little guys (2, 3, so on) that I couldnt carry because the bus was too crowded and my entire ride was full of misery and anxiety from fear they'd topple over and get hurt if the bus made sudden movements/or stops. I will always get up for those two types and make my family members do so too. I know I know :o

I have to thank people like you who help mothers with young children. I was with my mom, who doesn't walk well, and my three kids. It was pouring, and I was one of the last to get on the bus. People gave my mom a seat and me a seat. As I carried a sleeping child, another person made sure she held my stroller and diaper bag for me. It was so appreciated.

Wow that is actually a really good idea. Do the guests seem to mind when you tell them?

I'very never had anyone get upset about this. As matter of fact, a few times people behind me decided to do the same thing.LOL

I think the fact that we don't do individual kids AND adult pictures help. The kids will each do an individual picture, then they do a group one.

All of us have been the 'rude guest' at one time or another, when visiting Disney World. Maybe it was accidental. Maybe we were overtired and not at our best.

My example: Coronado Springs, midday, just watched a full bus zoom by and my husband is getting progressively crankier as we've already been waiting 25 minutes for a darn bus. We were not the first folks at our stop. There were a couple families ahead of us.

When the next bus showed up, now 45 min into our wait, the bus driver was foolish enough to stop and tell us he's too full. Whereupon, I popped up and said, "But there's only two of us, and we've got fast passes to Soaring that will be expiring soon!"

The folks in the bus, on hearing that, made room for us. So much room, in fact, that a young couple who'd just arrived at our stop were able to squeeze in behind us. And as we pulled away, I saw the faces of the two families who'd been waiting longer than us, and realized, oops, I'm that rude person they vent about on the Disboards!

What's your story? When were you 'that person'?

Yes, on the last trip and I deeply regret my behavior. I wigged out at the resort because of the luggage delivery issues. My conduct was incredibly unbecoming.

When you are waiting at the end of the night to get on the bus and you see multiple buses come and go, and then it is finally your turn to get on the bus enough in line to actually get to sit down with your tired children and an ECV wheels up and that person and 20 of their companions get on the bus and you no longer have a place to sit and with 2 children. I might give a dirty look or so.

I have also been that person that may have clipped your heels with my stroller, but in my defense, if you quickly try to get by me and succeed, but then walk slower than me and then weave in and out and stop in front of me, you may or may not have deserved it.

Yep, I was rude about it and karma got me. We were staying at POR and had had a whole week of not getting seats on the bus, and admit it; when you are at WDW how many times do you see someone with an ECV or wheelchair and they are taking turns riding in it? I know there are impairments that are not visually obvious, but after a very long, hot day and never getting to sit down ever, you can have a very poor opinion of an ECV pulling up last minute with a very large entourage. We had already missed 2 buses because they were full up (leaving MK at closing) and I made a snarky comment about MAYBE we'd get on the next bus if a wheelchair with 10 people in tow doesn't show up in the next 5 minutes. Well, here comes 1, then 2, then 3! We ended up getting a big laugh out of karma biting me you know where; we did make it on the bus but were not able to sit. I never complained about it again.

Also, on the trip before that one, I wasn't so much rude as mean. We had waited at the front wall at Pecos Bills for the MSEP for 2 hours. About an hour and 10 minutes into the wait, a CM walks up and tells us we have to stand behind the wall. (It was my group of 5 plus another family we didn't know, complete with elderly parents). After watching the CM ward off people who thought they had just walked up to a vacant, plush viewing spot for the parade he eventually came up to us and told us we could have our spot back. We went around to get our spots, but the other family wasn't so fortunate. They had people literally dive under them and take their seats, except the elderly grandmother got to sit. I felt very bad for them, they had waited almost as long as we had. Anyway, it was me and DH, DS, DDIL and DGD (aged 2). She had to go potty, so mom took off with her.I had backpacks in their spot, and we spread out. Anyway, we had our stroller on the side of the wall, so I decided to move it to allow others an opportunity to stand there. When I came back, this girl had tossed out backpacks down and plopped down with another person. Oh, no, I did not just wait 2 hours for someone to take our spot, and I told her she moved my backpack and took my seat while I was moving the stroller but she pretended not to hear me; so I basically plopped down almost on top of her, then proceeded to scoot my derriere until she and her friend were almost off the wall. They finally moved, and my DIL ended up with just enough space to sit and hold the DGD (people were crowding from the other side). I felt bad about being mean, but darn it, get there early like I did. After that I decided it just wasn't worth the hassle and if I can't fp the parade, I will skip it. Too stressful.

This thread is great. It's reminding me of how awful our last trip was thus making it ok that we have to wait a long time before another (and lessens the sting of canceling our upcoming September trip...darned medical bills).

My most rude moment came at MNSSHP our last trip (2013). I was on day 2 of antibiotics for strep so I still felt terrible, had "time of the month" issues, and my parents, who annoy the crap out of my DH were being extra annoying.

Anyway, we'd missed practically everything I'd planned to do/see and there was only an hour of party time left. I desperately wanted to make the most of that last hour when DH decided he just had to have a powerade. So we go looking all over MK for a stupid powerade and I'm getting more and more annoyed.

After the like 5th place that says they don't carry them I yell "just drink some f$&@ing water!" Not only were my kids there but so were a ton of other people's kids. Even worse, I didn't even apologize. I just huffed off. Definitely not my proudest moment :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter