Adding a family member to a contract

asunutgirl

DIS Veteran
We want to add our adult children to our contracts (we have six.) I can do it through DVC but I can't have any current reservations. We currently have two reservations one one contract so I was hoping to change the other 5 and then to the other one later. Found out if I do that, I will generate a separate membership number for that 6th contract, which I don't want to do.

I know the other option is changing the deed with a title company in each county. Has anyone gone through this process? Do you have to do them all at once?

I can certainly wait until we don't have any reservations but that is kind of rare. (I should have done this in 2020! Ha!)

We added children to our contracts and we did not have to cancel our trips because we were staying as owners still.

I wonder if things have changed as that was 2019? I’d call back and double check.

We added children to our contracts and we did not have to cancel our trips because we were staying as owners still.

I wonder if things have changed as that was 2019? I’d call back and double check.
Confirmed with member services that you cannot add people to the title with current pending reservations.

Confirmed with member services that you cannot add people to the title with current pending reservations.

MS or did you talk directly to MA, who handles it?

When it changes title to all new owners that is true, but if the memgerhsip number is not changing and the current owners are remaining owners, it has always been treated differently.

I spoke with MA today. They confirmed with me that I cannot add members (through DVC) without a new deed and if I don't do all my contracts at the same time that it will generate a new membership number. My guide told me that the rules have changed.

I didn't mean to generate an argument about procedure. I really am just looking for someone who has added members with a title company outside DVC.

My MIL is adding my DW currently via gratuitous transfer and has existing reservations. Thus far everything has gone smoothly. Just waiting for member services to finish processing it. We did the updated deed ourselves using the method laid out in that thread I copied above instead of using a title company. It costs 20 to 25 per deed that way instead of a couple hundred per deed through a title company.

The other benefit of adding your kids to the deed is they would get any DVC-Y benefits associated with that deed. I don't think that is the case when adding associate members through Disney.

. I really am just looking for someone who has added members with a title company outside DVC.
We added DD last year and used LT Transfers, https://www.lttransfers.com/. They are very experienced and efficient but also cost effective - it was less than $300 per contract. We have two contracts and at first were going to do one at a time, but then I realized the one with different owners would generate a new membership number, so we did both at the same time.

I can’t remember whether we had pending reservations or not, but I agree with Sandi that it shouldn’t affect just adding someone to the ownership, unless something has changed. So it seems to me that you should be able to change all your contracts at once instead of creating a new membership. Did you ask MA that question specifically?

I spoke with MA today. They confirmed with me that I cannot add members (through DVC) without a new deed and if I don't do all my contracts at the same time that it will generate a new membership number. My guide told me that the rules have changed.

I didn't mean to generate an argument about procedure. I really am just looking for someone who has added members with a title company outside DVC.
I used an outside company and added two of my kids to all three contracts at once with no problem with vacation plans that I had booked previously. This was not too long ago…2021-22?

Can anyone tell me about how long it took to to add relatives to an existing contract?

We just did this last year. I had always just had my name on the contracts, easier at the time. Now that my wife goes without me, we wanted her to have the Y cards as well.
There is a thread on here, sorry cant find right now, that walks you thru the process very easy. We are not in the USA and the whole process was maybe 1 month if I recall, not long. I copy and pasted one of our old contracts and put her name in the appropriate places needed, then had a lawyer certify.
We started this process approx 1.5 months before she was booked. She had her y status show up before she left. Yes we did have an existing reservation, hers, so no issue there either.
Good luck
I would caution, if adding children to the contract especially 6. Not that we want to think about it, but if even 1 goes thru a nasty divorce, there is a possibility that the ex might force the sale. FYI.
My kids know they can use it anytime, but they are never having their names on it, and they can suck up the 10% meals...lol

Can anyone tell me about how long it took to to add relatives to an existing contract?
Using LT Transfers, I think it was a couple of months, but it would have been quicker if I had remembered before we started about different owners causing a new membership to be created. We had already done everything for the first contract and had to pause to get the second ready so both could be sent to Orange County at the same time. If not for that, it would probably have been only a month, maybe less. LT Transfers submitted them to OC electronically, and I think the certified copies came back in 24-48 hours and were ready to send to DVC. We were very impressed by how fast it was.

I would caution, if adding children to the contract especially 6. Not that we want to think about it, but if even 1 goes thru a nasty divorce, there is a possibility that the ex might force the sale. FYI.
This is really good advice - while no one wants to think about this, it should probably be considered, especially around timing and estate planning. I lost my first DVC membership in my divorce and while I don't worry about that now with my current wife - we have discussed estate planning and what our approach would be with our membership and contracts in the event one of our untimely deaths. Everyone's circumstances are different, but it is something I would recommended that you consider discussing with your estate planner or attorney.

You can add members to your membership through DVC???

You can add members to your membership through DVC???
They refer you to a title company who then helps you with the process to change the deed.

The company they use will be more expensive than some others out there, and way more than doing yourself. We did use the recommended one in 2019 because we were buying direct and needed our current membership to have all names before we could add on, so they processed it really quickly for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter