• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

activities OUTSIDE Vero beach

My5Mouseketeers

Mouseketeer
We just spent a wonderful week at Aulani. We hiked everyday (diamond head, waterfall, bird preserve etc.) We love the beach, but can't sit on it (or at the pool) for 4 hours a day.

What activities are there to do outside Vero beach? (Golf and shopping don't count :) Looking for walks, kayaking, canoeing, etc.

There is a National Park very close to the resort at Vero. I think it's called Pelican Island National Park. You can drive and park your car. There are several trails to walk as well as a boardwalked trail that takes you to an observation point. We stumbled upon another observation point on one of the trails we hiked. It was very peaceful to sit and watch the birds. I believe there is a resort-sponsored bike trip to the park as well although we haven't done that yet. As far as kayaking I would google some outfits that provide kayak tours or rentals. There are several places on the Indian River where you can kayak. Another fun place to walk around is McKee Botanical Park which is several miles south of the resort off Rt 1. There is a small entrance fee but it was an enjoyable and pretty walk.

Not a WHOLE LOT going on right at VB. The Kennedy Space Center / Cape Canaveral is about 80 miles away which could make for a whole day of sightseeing….

There is the Environmental Learning Center just a short distance from the VB resort. I and a friend took one of the inland Waterway boat trips sponsored by the site and it was very enjoyable. We saw many dolphins along the way as well as shore birds.

McKee Botanical Gardens in Vero Beach is a wonderful place to wander, just be sure to bring 'skeeter repellent.

The resort activities include a Kayak Adventure that is quite enjoyable.

Several folks have enjoyed airboat tours.

Rent bikes at the resort and explore the nature trail located on the west side of A1A. I'm pretty sure they can give you information about it Eb & Flo's or at the front desk.

McClarty Treasure Museum (more historical perspective) and Mel Fisher's Treasure Museum (more treasure perspective) are great for a few hours to learn about the Spanish Fleet and why the area is known as the Treasure Coast.

Deep Sea fishing via charter boat or a head/party boat. Info available at the front desk.

There is a National Park very close to the resort at Vero. I think it's called Pelican Island National Park. You can drive and park your car. There are several trails to walk as well as a boardwalked trail that takes you to an observation point. We stumbled upon another observation point on one of the trails we hiked. It was very peaceful to sit and watch the birds. I believe there is a resort-sponsored bike trip to the park as well although we haven't done that yet. As far as kayaking I would google some outfits that provide kayak tours or rentals. There are several places on the Indian River where you can kayak. Another fun place to walk around is McKee Botanical Park which is several miles south of the resort off Rt 1. There is a small entrance fee but it was an enjoyable and pretty walk.

Do you know if a stroller would be okay on the trail? We're headed to Vero Beach this weekend and it looks like it will be too cool for swimming the first couple of days. I'm looking for ideas that will work with a toddler and baby!

The trail up to the bird observation area is a composite grey boardwalk. I think most of the trail is paved, but the parking lot has stones.

The trail up to the bird observation area is a composite grey boardwalk. I think most of the trail is paved, but the parking lot has stones.
Yes what Bobbiwoz said. The trails are a combination of hard sand, crushed shells and stone. If you have an all terrain type stroller you should be okay. The trail to the observation tower will be fine for a stoller. With young children check out the environmental learning center. It is located right before the causeway (coming from Rt. 1) and it is a right hand turn down a small road. Coming from the resort it would be a left hand turn after the bridge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter