• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

? about valet parking and disabled/non-disabled

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
My understanding is that free valet parking is available for those with handicapped placards. However, here's the scenario-DH and I will be returning to the resort in our car with a HA placard, as I'm disabled, with an ECV. But then the next morning, he'll be going out to the car by himself to go golfing. So the person picking up the car is not disabled (I'll be taking the bus to a theme park). In this scenario should he point it out to the valet and pay? Or will they just assume that the car has a handicapped placard that there's no charge?

My understanding is that free valet parking is available for those with handicapped placards. However, here's the scenario-DH and I will be returning to the resort in our car with a HA placard, as I'm disabled, with an ECV. But then the next morning, he'll be going out to the car by himself to go golfing. So the person picking up the car is not disabled (I'll be taking the bus to a theme park). In this scenario should he point it out to the valet and pay? Or will they just assume that the car has a handicapped placard that there's no charge?

I wouldn't worry about this. When you are doing valet, you're there. He's not taking advantage of anything.

If you are receiving a paid service for free because of a disability, it is illegal to do so without the disabled person being present for at least part of the transaction.

Why would your husband need the car parked by valet if you are not with him? If he is in the car without you, the hang-tag should be put away anyways. If he just likes valet, he should pay for it when you are not with him.

If you are receiving a paid service for free because of a disability, it is illegal to do so without the disabled person being present for at least part of the transaction.

Why would your husband need the car parked by valet if you are not with him? If he is in the car without you, the hang-tag should be put away anyways. If he just likes valet, he should pay for it when you are not with him.
But the disabled person would be in the car for the first half of this transaction. They are parking, then he is leaving.

It would be the same as my husband and I parking at a store, but then he comes to the door to get me.

I honestly do not know the answer to this question but at the worst they will ask you to pay the fee ( and it really could depend on the CM you get) so I would just go expecting to pay for parking and if they say you do not need to them great.

if you can not afford to pay then for this one night I would let your DH drop you off then he could go park and catch up with you.

I do know plenty of disabled people that do this all the time at disney when there are no more HC spots left.

So here is my question.

How will anyone know, in the morning, that your husband isn't the one on the placard? Do they ask for ID or proof of disability?

When you drop off the car, you will hang the placard. It will continue to hang there until your husband takes it down, after getting into the car. I believe he should thank them kindly, tip them well, and be on his way.

So here is my question.

How will anyone know, in the morning, that your husband isn't the one on the placard? Do they ask for ID or proof of disability?

When you drop off the car, you will hang the placard. It will continue to hang there until your husband takes it down, after getting into the car. I believe he should thank them kindly, tip them well, and be on his way.

I was kind of figuring that that might be the case-no one would ask. And although DH looks fairly active, as we all know, looks can be deceiving.

I was kind of figuring that that might be the case-no one would ask. And although DH looks fairly active, as we all know, looks can be deceiving.
I've had a number of people ask me how I qualified for a placard. I very kindly tell them that my doctor agrees that I qualify for one, and should have it.

I am sure Disney employees know better than to question someone.

That's not what the OP said at all.

when adult daughter lived in our area got looks when she pot the handicapped card in window because she did not look the part. she had a heart attack at 35 so as you say looks can be deceiving

OP: As long as the placard is up, I doubt they will ask your husband anything about it.

I have been in similar situations with my mom and sister. In fact, just a couple of weeks ago we were at a hotel and I parked in the HA spot when we arrived with my mom and sister in the vehicle. I then needed to leave to pick something up, but when I returned to the hotel I still parked in the HA spot. I knew that the next time I left the hotel I would have them both with me and that spot would be needed.

If the OP is in the car at some point in the parking situation, then yes, it's OK. From what I took from the original post was that he was going to drive it someplace else and use valet there. If he does that, he pays. If he's just picking up the car, and then parking it himself, then no. But how about when he comes back? That's a round trip without the placard owner. The placard shouldn't even be up if the owner of it isn't in the car.

From what I took from the original post was that he was going to drive it someplace else and use valet there.

Not sure where you got that. OP wrote that she will be with her husband when they park the car, but he would leave by himself to go golf. Nowhere did she mention valet at the golf course.

But how about when he comes back? That's a round trip without the placard owner.

Since OP did not seem concerned about that, my guess is he may not be going directly back to the resort, but meeting OP at the park. Then OP would be with him when they return.

OP here, we are coming into our resort together with handicap placard I need. However, then DH leaves the resort alone. I was with him on one direction. He never tried to make a round-trip alone. When he returns from his trip alone, he won't be displaying the placard and will thus, self-park.

If the OP is in the car at some point in the parking situation, then yes, it's OK. From what I took from the original post was that he was going to drive it someplace else and use valet there. If he does that, he pays. If he's just picking up the car, and then parking it himself, then no. But how about when he comes back? That's a round trip without the placard owner. The placard shouldn't even be up if the owner of it isn't in the car.
I'm not sure what you were reading, DisneyOma. It seems pretty clear that the OP's husband wasn't trying to get away without paying for valet.

I would not worry about it, and I would be very surprised if you had to pay.

PS my daughter had a placard from ages 15-20, because of a severe bone disease in her knees and hips, and this included 2-3 years that she was driving herself. I am sure people thought she was using grandma's placard most of the time, but no one ever confronted her. (she always carried the matching state HC ID card in case police questioned it). PPSS 6 surgeries later, hip implants and double total knee replacements, no more HC parking card! She (now 24) even works FT on her feet 8-10 hours a day!)

Here's another thought... doesn't Disney arrange free transportation to the golf courses? He should check with Guest Rlations at GF. He may not have to use the car at all without the OP.

She will be with him when they arrive. Besides the perk of valet with a placard is NOT like using a HC parking space when the person is not with you in the real world. It's not a law or regulation mandated by the state. It's a courtesy offered by Disney. Nothing illegal about it.

OP, Just do it and don't worry.

He should use the valet when he returns because the next time you will be with him and having the car in the valet will benefit you and is offered to you by Disney.

She won't be in the vehicle when it's picked up from valet parking to go golfing, or when it returns to the GF. The driver shouldn't use the handicap placard, which was not issued to him. The placard holder can be picked up at the door next time if the vehicle is self-parked, or the couple should expect to be charged for valet parking that day if the driver engages the service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter