ABD DIS'ers Only Backstage Magic with special appearance by the SW premiere UPDATE 5/24 Walt's Barn

Day 2: Jim Henson Studio Tour: It's Time to play the music, It's time to light the lights, It's time to meet the Muppets, on the Muppet show tonight!

I was awake way earlier than I should have been this day. I was just too excited to sleep, per usual. I spent my time watching the sun rise over our great view.

On this day, the usual itinerary would start with a tour of Hollywood. That wasn't happening for us since the SW Force Awakens premiere was happening today. Instead, we were to meet downstairs in the lobby to head to Jim Henson studios. I believe breakfast was available to us in the dining room for about an hour and a half.

Now that the sun, and Brian, were both up it was time to head to breakfast. Breakfast was held in the same private room we had eaten our dinner in the night before. We shared a breakfast buffet with all the other hotel diners. The breakfast buffet was excellent. Coffee, all sorts of juice, bottled water and tea was available to drink. There was a made to order omelet bar, waffles, pancakes, cereal, yogurt, fruit, bacon, sausage, smoked salmon, all sorts of pastries and just pretty much any breakfast food you could think of. It was a great breakfast. We also grabbed some fruit, yogurt and juice to have as a snack later.

We made a quick stop back to the room to drop off our snacks and to get our gear for the day. We had extra time owing to my super early wake up, so we
decided to walk the block and see what was up with the premiere.

Here is a bad pick of the lobby Christmas tree:

The shopping center that was right outside our hotel, we cut through here to get to the Grauman's theatre quick:

Grauman's was all decked out for SW.

Here is one extreme end of the street closure:

This is the official beginning of the Hollywood Walk of Fame (the stars on the ground):

It was much easier to get pictures of the stars since we were almost the only people out and about this early. So pro tip, if you want to look at the stars in peace without costumed characters in your face or people trying to sell you things, go late at night or early morning.

Security for the premiere was just insane this morning. There were metal detectors set up at each block. So we went through about 7 metal detectors in
all. This was the entrance that all the stars would enter the tent through, there were bleachers on either side.

We kept trying to peak into the tent and were finally rewarded with an open tent flap and we discovered the Kylo Ren car we'd seen the night before parked
at our hotel.

It was almost time to meet up in the lobby with the ABD group so we hurried back. We needn't have hurried, our bus ended up about 45 minutes late due to traffic and security for the premiere. Dean and Summer Rose thanked us for our patience and offered us the consolation prize of an alcoholic drink included
with our lunch. Alcoholic drinks are not usually included with meals that ABD pays for, so that was nice.

Once on the bus we ended up getting a short tour of Hollywood while we drove to the Henson Studios.

This is a picture of the entrance to the Magic Castle, a private member's only magician's club. Neil Patrick Harris is the president and many celebrities are
members. Dean was giving us info about what we drove by, and we were able to be know it alls and correct him when he said only members could enter. We had discovered on an earlier trip that guests who paid to stay at the Magic Castle's reasonably priced hotel could also attend the club. We ended up seeing Ryan Reynolds (a big fan of the club) and his date Blake Lively. Celebrities love the Magic Castle because there is a very strict no picture/video rule. I think Johnny Depp is also a regular patron. I wrote about our experience in one of my DL trip reports, if you want to read more about it. It is a great place.

Here is a horrible picture (the buses' windows were very dirty) of the Hollywood High School. I believe Grease was filmed on this football field, as were many other football field scenes. We also drove by the Scientology complex and the Crossroads building that the entrance structure inside DHS is based off of (the tower that has a rotating Mickey on top).

All of a sudden, on just a regular street with normal buildings we arrived!

The studio really just seemed to pop up out of nowhere. We were able to leave anything we wanted on the bus, the driver stayed on the bus the whole time so our belongings were safe.

The studio was actually very small. One big sound stage and then a few smaller office buildings. We split into two groups, we were in Dean's group. We got a short history of the Studios, it actually started out as Charlie Chaplin's studio. There is also a recording studio on site that was home to many famous recordings and artists.

My group started out in the very small gift shop. I was pretty disappointed in the gift shop, there were only about 10 items. Though I believe the gift shop
was actually started for the ABD groups, since no other tours of the studio are given. If you are a huge Jim Henson fan, you'll probably want a coffee mug or
a tshirt, but given that the selection was small and somewhat pricey Brian and I did not purchase anything.

Another disclaimer: I believe all Henson studio tours are different. Just because we saw something on our trip does not mean you will see the same thing.

We were able to go into an office building and get a picture with a real Emmy the studio had won, along with a special guest star.

We also got to go to the conference room where there was an epic painting of all the muppets.

At the end of our time here both groups came together and we went into the soundstage. A puppeteer was there to give us a demonstration with his friend,

DJ, who was very happy to be out of his box. DJ is on the show 'Animal Jam', if you want to youtube it to see him in action.One lucky volunteer was picked from our group to operate her own puppet and interact with DJ and we got to watch the interesting process. I don't really want to post pictures of other ABDers here, but I figure this one isn't bad since it is blurry.

At the end we all got a big group photo. I like how I'm standing on a bench yet am still just barely taller than everyone.

It was really great to get a tour of Jim Henson studios. ABD is the only way to get in there, so it was a big part of the trip. I remember in our welcome dinner everyone said what they were looking forward to the most and Henson studios was no. 1 on many people's lists (I'm pretty sure I said Imagineering but really everything).

I think I am at my photo limit for now so you'll all have to wait until next time to hear about our lunch at Tam O'Shanter's and our trip to Walt's Barn.

Last edited:
I was recently watching some of the ABD podcasts, including Craig's for this trip. It made me even more excited for your report. All of the Dreams Unlimited team that had Summer Rose as a tour guide said great things about her, and really all of the ABD tour guides.

I love Summer Rose so much, she was kind of like the bad cop to Dean's good cop. Not saying she was mean, she was just super on top of things and she was the one who handled the dirtier tasks, like talking to restaurants if a table wasn't getting great service or kicking people out of our special VIP areas haha.

I came here looking for some DL reports to get me in the west coast spirit and look who is here!

You know I'm really hoping to go on an ABD in the next few years so this will probably cause me additional torment! ;) But really I can't wait to hear all about it.

You found me! This report will make you want to go immediately, fair warning.

So excited to hear about your trip! I signed up for the dis exclusive ABD this October and can't wait.

You are going to have such a great time! I'm so jealous of you!! I've always wanted to see DL at Halloween time, you'll have to let me know how your trip goes. If you get Dean or Summer Rose tell them Rachel said hi!

Love your report so far!

We just took the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour with Summer Rose as our guide last month, and she was fantastic. I look forward to hearing more about your Adventures!

Ahhh Summer Rose!! I'm jealous of your tour. I went to WDW a little bit ago and kept sighing and wishing Dean and Summer Rose were with us.

Hollywood Blvd looks so neat setup for the premiere. Very few people ever get to see it like that. Jim Henson studios look really cool. Did they make the gingers get in the back again in that last photo;)

Day 2 Part 2: Tam O'Shanter, Walt's Barn and the Farmer's Market and Grove

After we were done with the Muppets we loaded back onto the bus and headed for our lunch spot: the Scottish Tam O’Shanter restaurant. This restaurant was a big favorite with old Hollywood. It was close to the original Disney studios so Walt and the animators ate here a lot.

http://www.lawrysonline.com/tam-oshanter

Here is a little background that I took from the Disney food blog:

Located just a few miles away from the Disney Studios in Burbank, The Tam O’ Shanter is Los Angeles’ oldest restaurant that has remained in the same location under the same ownership and management since 1922.

AND Walt Disney ate here. A lot.

The Tam O’ Shanter was very close to Walt’s Hyperion Studio when it opened. He frequented the restaurant so often that is was commonly referred to as the “studio commissary.”

Most people believe Walt took some inspiration from this restaurant, a lot of fantasyland looks very similar to this restaurant.

If you look closely behind the tree you can see a drawing that Walt did for the restaurant.

We had a few minutes to take pictures outside the restaurant, once our private room was ready we all got to pick our seats. This is kind of where things get interesting on ABD trips. You’ll usually eat meals (if ABD pays for them) with groups other than your own. Which of course gave people a chance to get to know one another. We ended up having a Pennsylvania table, it was Brian and I (I’m from Pittsburgh and Brian has adopted all my sports teams) and then two couples from the Philly area. We all had a good time ribbing on each other about our sports teams and it was really fun to get to know others on the trip. It seemed pretty easy to talk to most people on the trip, since you are already starting with a shared interest.

Dean and Summer Rose passed around our promised alcoholic drinks, which was a drink that Walt always enjoyed. Walt had really good taste because I loved this drink, it was also just a bit strong. Which was perfectly fine by me.

We had a limited menu with, I think, three entrees to choose from. Most people ordered the famed prime rib but I’m not a huge meat person so I stuck with the fish and chips. We also got a starter salad and bread. Everything was really good.

While we waited for our food, we went group by group to look at and have our picture at Walt’s booth. I don’t normally condone graffitying things, but I’m glad the animators decided to draw all over this table.

The plague on the table:

The little sign next to Walt's table, it is table #31.

I also need to comment on the guides’ outfits. They loved to dress for whatever activity we were currently enjoying, so here you’ll see them in their Scottish inspired plaid Christmas themed attire. Their themed outfits really helped to get into the mood of the place. I loved the effort.

So the restaurant didn’t only used to cater to Hollywood elite, it still does to this day and is used in lots of TV shows and movies. For instance, the Office, one of my favorite shows, filmed Dwight’s bachelor party here. Our guides also told us the story of how one of their groups got to meet Dick Van Dyke since he was enjoying a meal here and was nice enough to come say hello to everyone.

Sadly, we did not have any celebrity run ins. I did get lost trying to find the bathroom, however, and ended up in another private room with a bunch of older guys. So I like to pretend they were all famous Hollywood old timers.

After our meal it was time to get back onto the bus and head to Walt’s Barn! I’d really been looking forward to riding the miniature trains (spoiler alert: that did not happen).

Once there, the weather really put a damper on things. With the wind blowing, it was in the low 40s and most of us were not dressed for that cold of weather. Luckily I’d brought a hat, but my coat was not very warm and I found myself missing my lovely down jacket.

We had a short little introduction to Walt and his love for trains as a big group, then we split into our two smaller groups and luckily my group got to go inside the barn first. The barn itself was interesting, Walt had had it built to be exactly like the barn he played in as a kid, even down to making the ceiling of his new barn have a slight bow as if from age like the original barn had.

Inside the barn were a couple of engines from Walt’s miniature trains and tons of display all around the walls. There was all sorts of stuff from inside DL and articles and bios on all the people the trains inside the parks are named after. It was super interesting and I wish we’d had longer in there to look around.

All the people who worked there were volunteers and they were all super knowledgeable and had so many good stories to share with us.

In too short a time, our turn in the barn was up and we switched places with the other group, who had been relaxing on one of the original Disneyland trains. It was interesting because the train was almost the right size, but was just a little bit scaled down so some of the taller people had some trouble and had to crouch a bit to walk. We had another very interesting talk from another volunteer.

Dean made sure to get pictures of all of us in the train. Every event we attended the guides always had the best photo spots picked out and were sure to get pictures of everyone in whatever group formation they wanted, i.e. you could get a solo picture or a picture with everyone in your group if you wanted. The guides really are like your own personal traveling photopass photographers.

After our train talk where we learned more about the history of Disneyland’s trains, we had a short time to stop at the little shop which had a couple pins, hats, I believe a t-shirt and maybe a book or two but once again Brian and I didn’t get anything.

We did not get to ride the little train around, even though the grounds had plenty of train tracks and little Wild West towns set up. I’m not sure why not.

Walt’s Barn was a really great stop. All the people who work there are volunteers and they are all so passionate and knowledgeable about Disneyland, Walt and his trains. If you want to visit on your own make sure to check hours on the website, I think they might only be open to the public one day every few weeks.

We were pleased to get back on the warm bus. First Summer Rose pulled out the snack box and we all got to have our pick of chips and crackers and bottled drinks. I’m pretty sure we could grab a bottled water each time we got on or off that bus.

We were dropped back at the hotel. Usually this would have been the night we would get El Cap tickets or do some sort of Hollywood activity. Due to the SW Premiere, that wasn’t an option so instead the guides offered us the chance to all take the bus to the Grove, which is a popular shopping center and food market.

We agreed along with probably 20 other group members. It was about a 15 minute drive away and we all went together to a bar to share another complimentary alcoholic drink. I forget what the drink was, but it was hot and I didn’t like it so much. After our drink, most people split up to go shop and find food. It was a little confusing to us at first, there is the somewhat upscale outdoor shopping center, and right next door is the little farmer’s market area. It took us a couple wrong turns to find the farmer’s market, which isn’t exactly a farmer’s market as I know them. It was more food booths that kind of had a sort of temporary look like when they set up at the fair. There was a lot of seating though, the problem was is that it was all outdoors and it was freezing. I think the temperatures must have dropped into the 30s and we weren’t really dressed for that at all.

We ended up going to the donut counter that everyone raves about, I thought the donuts were ok but they were not fresh or warm. I think this was a miss for us, I’ve had a lot better donuts. We then wandered around trying to decide what to eat. We couldn’t really pick so ended up sharing a gross, mall food court quality Chinese meal. Bleh, stupid choice.

After our horrible dinner, we went into all the little shops that were indoors just to get out of the wind and cold. A little disclaimer, unless it is a Disney store, I just hate shopping. Shopping malls make me feel sick (I think it’s the lights). These little stores were ok, but I think the internet ruined shopping for me too. There was a little toy store and I just remember looking at prices and thinking eh, internet has it cheaper.

We decided to head back to the main shopping mall, which was beautifully decorated for Christmas. It was very crowded here and had many shops that were way too upscale for Brian and me. We were both miserably cold so we finally just ended up on the top level of a Barnes and Nobles sitting at the café wishing that we could leave. I’m not sure if we had two or three hours here, but it was way too much for us. It might have been a lot more fun had the weather been pleasant, but it was freezing and we were both tired and wished we could go to bed. We debated taking an uber but decided we should just wait for the bus.

This is the Carrie Fisher billboard we could see from our top level Barnes and Noble perch:

Our horrible night finally came to a close and we met back up with the group to catch the bus back to the hotel. We pretty much immediately went to bed where we watched the local news a bit to hear about the SW Premiere. Turns out Ellen had been handing out tickets to attend (bleh) and everyone camping out at the Grauman’s got tickets for the bleachers. I was pretty jealous, we had convinced ourselves that ABD would certainly be able to do something special for us for the premiere, we’d always heard about them doing extra special things and John from the podcast had posted about our trip having some truly great surprises coming.

Oh well, let that be a lesson for people going in the future: don’t get your hopes up about getting certain special surprises. You certainly will get many great surprises, don’t get me wrong. Just try not to expect anything specific and you’ll be a lot happier.

We had another early morning wake up, tomorrow was our Walt Disney Studios and Imagineering day! Then we’d be headed to Disneyland!!

Jim Henson studios looks super cool....my kids, who love the Muppets, would love it.

You should take them! Kids are allowed on these trips, we just happened to not have any in our group. I'm not sure what the age restrictions are...I kind of want to say 12, but don't quote me on that.

Hollywood Blvd looks so neat setup for the premiere. Very few people ever get to see it like that. Jim Henson studios look really cool. Did they make the gingers get in the back again in that last photo;)

Haha yes, gingers had to stay in the back so that hopefully we'd be blocked out of the pic hahaha.

That stinks that they didn't do anything for the SW premiere...still looked like a fun day though!

Loved hearing of your adventures at Tam o'Shanter & Walt's Barn! We ate at that restaurant also on our trip recently and loved it. Great food, history, & theming. We rode the LA Live Steamers train, but Walt's Barn was not open the day we visited so it was a treat to read about it here and see pictures.

So nice that the guides take photos throughout your trip! It's tough for us on couples-only trips getting pics together.

Oh wow! This is too cool! I'm going to have to keep an eye out for these trips now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter