AAA membership worth it?

Dashzap

DIS Veteran
I've had a AAA membership for many years. I used to get maps and triptyks from them frequently, before smart phones. Now I only use them in case I need roadside assistance.

I'm on the fence whether it is worth the renewal cost of $88.

I bet if I don't renew, it will be the first time I need a tow in years. I drive a 2010 Honda Odyssey with about 50k miles on it.

Opinions?

I have a newer car as well, so I didn't renew for the last few years. Don't you know, I had a blowout on the freeway earlier this year and got on my phone to renew my account so I could call for assistance. I won't be without it any longer.

The grandkids were always gifted a membership for Christmas from my grandpa. Once we got married, the membership cost was our responsibility if we wished to renew. In the 14 years of gift membership, I used the roadside assistance once.

Once I got married hubby and I decided not to renew. Fast forward 3 years... A new membership cost $52 and saved us hundreds in hotel rate discounts during our recent trip to Disney/Universal.

Worth it for the association discounts for us.

$88 seems high. AAA is advertising $49 a year here.
I would never not have some sort of roadside service.
I bought a classic car last year, and free unlimited towing for all my cars is included in the classic car insurance, so I will be dropping my Allstate motor club.

I've only had a AAA membership for two years. I have never used it and I haven't found any better deals for Disney Trips as a result of the AAA card.

My grandparents use to have the AAA membership when I was little (wasn't to long ago haha) and we kept it for the triptiks and because we had the special benefits at Disney World for the parking and that little building that use to be near tomorrowland for AAA members.

Other then that, my grandparents still have the membership because we live in Arizona and doing roadtrips in the desert and breaking down would not be fun. They have the more higher up plan for the longer distance towing.

It's great for the free towing. You never know when you or someone your with might need it ( I dated someone who use to drive a MG B).

You also never know when you might get a flat as well!

I've had it for thirty years, always get my monies worth. I recently added dd19 and ds18, and was offered an upgrade to premium for no cost. Our newest vehicle is 2007 (all Hondas). I get at least one jump start and one tire change a year. D's has used then twice, one jump and one tire change (it was freezing, he was wearing shorts, and apparently he had no jack). Once when DH's died (for good) in the middle of the street in a blizzard, they couldn't tow him, but reimbursed us for the tow we got from a private company.

I got it so my adult kids would have it. It did come in handy a few times over the years. I think it's just piece of mind for me.

We pay about $170 a year for the two of us for the plus membership. It's worth it to us...we have had to use their towing a lot over the last 20 years (we drive our cars into the ground) and with the plus, you get I think 50 or 100 miles of towing for free (forget which). DH works over 50 miles away and we have not needed it from there but if we did, that would be a big help. The little discounts you get at hotels etc is a bonus to us but not the main reason for keeping it.

We just had this conversation yesterday! We elected not to renew because I can get roadside assistance added to our insurance for much cheaper. We don't use the other services except for hotel rates. Since we don't have any stays planned, we are not renewing.

I've had just the basic plan for years. I think I've used it once when I got a flat tire at work but I keep it mostly for discounts at hotels. I've saved the price each year just in that and the piece of mind in knowing I have it pays for it. My insurance does offer towing but not the tire changes and other things and the cost of the add on for towing is much more than my AAA annually.

This was a surprisingly tough one for me - I've been debating whether to renew for the past 6 months - my parents were long time AAA members and I've been one myself for 30+ years. It's like a security blanket for me. :) But I just don't see the value as much anymore. The hotel deals have greatly lessened over the years - I have found the same or better discounts with a little online research every time. They no longer partner with Disney on tic discounts.

So I finally decided to let it go (no Frozen pun intended)...we have roadside assistance through our auto comp coverage and it seems like it covers the same things unless I'm missing something. AAA in my area is pricey - around 60 for basic plan (3 miles of towing max - unless I conveniently break down near my mechanic (unlikely), I'll have to pay.) and close to $90 I think for the plus. And it only covers 1 person, not the family so it's more for to add DH.

It actually costs less to keep our car comp/collision insurance active, even though we have 11+ year old cars that aren't worth much, just because it includes the Roadside Assistance services for both of us.

(But a part of me is still a bit sad to have discontinued it - I debate renewing every time I get one of their win-back mailings...even though it doesn't make financial sense:sad2:.)

Totally worth it for us. We don't have towing on our car insurance and car insurance doesn't help when you get a flat tire.

I've already had them come to me to change several flat tires and once a dead battery. I feel safer driving to and from Disney (8 hours) alone with it several times a year.

Plus our son drives 4 hours away to college and I feel better knowing he'll always be able to get a tow truck if needed.

Both of our vehicles are older - a 2006 and 2008. My husband drives a 2013 and he's never had to call AAA.

OP, you might look at what local discounts AAA offers as you are weighing your decision. We often think of them when traveling, but they also can save you money locally at restaurants and area attractions. We faithfully used them at Universal restaurants and Earl of Sandwich, but somehow forget to use them at home.
Those little discounts by themselves are not worth getting an AAA membership but they help you feel like you are getting your money's worth.

You may also want to review your credit cards--some of them offer roadside assistance benefits.

For what it's worth, we have had AAA for years and find it worthwhile.

Like others, we keep it for peace of mind. One year out of 4 cars, 3 needed tows.

Ds#2 goes to college 5 hours away in a 2002 Honda. Ds#1 is on the road all of the time and DH drives at least 50 miles one way to work, some days it's75.

This reminds me I need to add ds#3

I have DW and DD covered. They travel a lot and it is a just in case thing. We haven't used it a lot but it does give me piece of mind when they travel.

I've had a AAA membership for many years. I used to get maps and triptyks from them frequently, before smart phones. Now I only use them in case I need roadside assistance.

I'm on the fence whether it is worth the renewal cost of $88.

I bet if I don't renew, it will be the first time I need a tow in years. I drive a 2010 Honda Odyssey with about 50k miles on it.

Opinions?
I like AAA for reduced hotel rates. I think it is worth it if you travel frequently enough. Plus you can get AAA discount at Picabu at Disney's Dolphin resort. Just an FYI

We've had it for 30+ years. Wouldn't do without it. I travel a lot by myself and it's comforting to know I have a number to call. Have used it a few times, breakdown, battery, keys locked in car and used to get disney tickets there (not anymore).

I do, because I live in a place of ice and snow and cold. And my professors don't accept "it was snowing" as a reason I wasn't in class. Besides, I don't want to miss class if I can at all help it. The other winter we got it because my car froze to the ground. Like, the tires actually frosted over enough to stick to the pavement. AAA saved my backside.

I've got it and defiantly worth it since I have a 2004 Saturn ION. There could be some years I've called a few times because the car won't start in the snow and cold and other years I have not used it at all. I also have roadside service with my insurance but AAA seems to get there quicker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter