A wish trip for a child with food allergies-#49 GKTW and Village Idol with PICS!!

Who'syourMickey

Mouseketeer
There will be a lot of pictures on this Trip report but, on Day 1, none of the photo’s saved to our camera’s memory stick. The intro. of the cast was done on my pre trip report.

GKTW Pretrippie Sept 2007

Table of Contents
Post #1 Getting out of the Drivway
Post #23 Getting onto the Plane
Post #32 We interupt this trip report to use the world pass in Vegas!
Post #35 Arriving at GKTW!!!!! With Villa Pics!!!!
Post #47 Friendlies Pics and Villa pics for Enquiring minds!
Post #49 GKTW and Village Idol with Pics!!!!

Getting out of the driveway

I had been very sick the previous days passing salivary stones. :sick: I had not packed myself or capped my probiotics yet. :eek: The alarm was set for 5:30 with an airport arrival time of 7:10 for a 9:10 flight. The drive to the airport is 45 minutes. Black Ear Envy took care of knowing when we needed to leave for the airport to make the plane. I awoke before the alarm at 4:30 am feeling very energetic. I gave myself a foot rub using reflexology and apricot oil and did some stretching and deep breathing exercises. I took account of how I was feeling and it was positive news, I felt well for the first time in days having passed most of the salivary stones a few days prior. I put some hot water on the boil for some tulsi tea with lavender chammomille and Swedish bitters. :love:

The abx, supplements and homeopathic remedies were working. For one day, I had taken 20,000 mg of vitamin C, a mega dose. Dr. Shelton, our Naturopathic Physician gave me a warning of taking that much vitamin C because it could cause me to pass kidney stones. I had taken 10 and 12 thousand mg of vitamin C a day for a week and a few days ago, the biggest salivary stone passing day, I had taken 20,000 mg of vitamin C in a sodium ascorbate form. Personally, I think the high dose of C cleaned out 90% of the stones in a day, allowing me to be well enough to go on the trip. Dr. Shelton told me correct doses to take of everything I had, he suggested that I lower my C to 2,000 and up my fiber pills to about 3,000 mg twice a day…so down with C and up with fiber. He explained the five different detox pathways, skin, kidney, liver, colon, and lungs. My instructions were to drink as much water as I could for the kidneys, take milk thistle for the liver, fiber and bowels moving through colonics if necessary for the colon, sauna and skin brushing for the skin, and deep breathing for the lungs. I was great on all of those except for the colon. I had not gone poo in about a week. That morning, just as the naturopath suspected high doses of C might do, I was passing very small kidney stones. They were not as painful as the salivary stones, so they must have been insignificantly small.

I was able to begin to pack myself but my OCD tendancy kept me from actually packing because I was missing one shirt. :upsidedow The items of mine that were supposed to go into a suitcase in order of days worn, were in a neat stack on the table awaiting the shirt I was supposed to wear on day 2. I began finishing up packing odds and ends while I searched for the shirt.. I packed up dd’s special food for the day in a cooler. I added a hard frozen package of hot dogs to keep the rest of her food cool. I learned this tip on the disboards. You are not allowed to pack frozen gel icepacks for coolers at the airport. I thawed the gel packs the night before and packed them into RG’s bag. My mom had noticed that even in a ziplock, some condensation from the gel icepacks had gotten things in his bag wet, so she had laid out the wet packed things from his bag the night before we left. I repacked the gel packs in ziplocks and into a bag that didn’t have clothes. I was able to repack RG’s bag with the things that had dried overnight. I put a bottle of milk, some hershey’s candy bars, salami, and some dried cherries in dd’s new purple cooler. I also packed her iron, cod liver oil, echinachea and chammomille calm liquid herbal formulations, and the probiotics, still not capped, into the cooler. I shoved the pill capping kit into the supplement bag. I gave myself my last swath of lip balm before having to pack it away…..farewell lip balm. With Salivary stones, your lips get uncomfortably dry….but there are so many airport rules and we all know how dangerous lip balm can be. :rolleyes: My mom was in charge of knowing all of the airport rules and making sure all of our carry on bags had only allowable items in them. She did a great job of educating all of us and gave a special family meeting about the airport rules a week prior to the trip. :teacher:

I was hyped up on adrenaline and excitement and vowed not to let my condition interfere with anyone elses enjoyment of the trip. :goodvibes I already had interfered with someone’s enjoyment of the trip though, because Black Ear Envy had chemical sensitivity and during the last days before the trip, he spent the weekend doing last minute shopping with the expense check from the dream factory. The night before we left he didn’t shop, and my Mom went out and bought the girls costumes for village idol. Black Ear Envy gets sick from too much shopping and sending him to do last minute shopping had started him off on a weaker footing with a tickle in his throat and the beginnings of bronchitis. :guilty: Also the day before the trip, Aristacat girl was sick, fever, chills, vomiting. :sick: We let her sleep in hoping that she would be ok this morning. I made her some chammomile tea.

It was Black Ear Envy who took AAAT girl shopping for shoes and did the fitting. They didn’t get keens, but a different brand of shoe called a Privo. It was a $75 dollar shoe marked down to $34 at Marshalls. I didn’t know anything about Privo’s and had never heard of them, but figured for the price, they should be a quality pair of shoes. There was only one of them and I think I recall them saying it wasn’t the exact size for her but they would work. AAAT girl is a 8 ½ shoe size. These shoes only come in 8’s or 9’s. Black Ear Envy said that they would stretch when they got wet. When I saw them, they looked nice, and I thought they looked like they would work. I didn’t really look at them on her feet though and do the push your finger into the toe test. AAAT girl had finally gave in to buying “ugly” shoes as she called them, and had worn them for the two days prior to the trip to break them in. For months, I had tried to get her to agree to Birkenstocks, Keens, crocks, or even some kind of comfortable flip flop. We had shopped and not been able to find a shoe for AAAT girl. She had resisted the wearing comfortable shoes. Then, just a few weeks before the trip she grew out of all of her clothes and grew out of her $80 skater tennis shoes. I had planned for the skater shoes to be a backup shoe and did not budget for the cost of replacing those shoes. I felt that the budget allowed for AAAT girl to get a keen type of multipurpose water shoe, or a Birkenstock, or crock, not this and a pair of $60-80 dollar skater shoes. Hindsight is 20/20. Had I known, I would have gotten AAAT girl several different pairs of shoes. I would have agreed to buy the skater shoe (we ended up having plenty of money) on the condition that she also pick a comfortable shoe and purchased a birk or keen weeks before, like everyone else who already had their shoes weeks or months before the trip. She only grew out of her skater shoes two weeks before the trip though. The budget had put the purchase of her shoes till after we received the expense check also.

Around 5:30 they began waking each other up. AAAT girl had done the majority of the packing and had made sure the younger children’s clothes were all laid out and all they had to do was put them on. I had purchased Martinelli’s apple juice two weeks prior to drink that morning, which is my secret for avoiding the constipation that comes from traveling. There was nine juices in a package, and seven people drinking juice. There were two extra juices in the case. I had already drank one and split one with ds yesterday because I knew there were extras and I was trying to correct my problem. I had tried the night before to call Rosie Machette, who I go to about once a year for colonics when I get this way. Rosie had meant to call me back but she had been so tired, she fell asleep and woke up too late to call back. She contacted me later that day to let me know that the school of colonics she attended was right there in Orlando. I would try to make an appointment with them during the trip. :scared1:

Back to packing, there were just two items I could now not find, two of the tie dye shirts we were supposed to wear to the GKTW Christmas Party, one for dd and one for myself. A quick search did not turn them up, and I continued to search for them until there was no more time to look for them. At one point we are enjoying our tea and Black Ear Envy and my Mom are going “Aren’t you packed yet”. :eek: I explain that I can’t pack without my shirt. Time is running out. :idea: My mom gets me a white shirt to borrow as a replacement. I plan on dd using a GKTW shirt as a replacement for her missing shirt. Ah, now I can pack. In all of this last minute packing, I am the only one who forgot to pack my toothebrush.

Aristacat girl, AAAT girl and ds were asked to clean out the van of trash and household items in order for us to pack the van. There were just a handful of last minute things like this that weren’t done yet or left undone. I forgot to print out the photopass location maps that WendyGrace sent me. I didn’t plan out some of the park days enough, Busch Gardens in particular….. Black Ear Envy was anxious because he couldn’t pack the van until all of the bags were closed. Finally, the bags were all zipped up. Black Ear Envy had gotten RG up and sent him out to fill the van up with Gas. We carried all of the bags out. I glance down and notice that AAAT girl is wearing a $1 pair of flip flops….I raise my eyebrow and enquire about the shoe choice, and she explains that her Privo’s have given her a blister. UGGGH. I had meant to study what to do about blisters, and had run out of time. The children are video gamers, and blisters are something we have never encountered before. We had moleskin, gause, and bandaids. My Mom put a bandaid on her blister because the moleskin instructions said not to apply on broken skin. I thought this sounded funny….I thought that according to the disboards you could use moleskin on broken skin. No time to look it up, we are headed out to the van. My hands were full of bottled waters. Our driveway has a steep slope, and I set eight waters, one for each of us to drink before we got on the plane, down on top of the beach bucket. They all went rolling down into the street when the beach bucket fell over. Aristacat girl, ds and dd gather them up quickly. Black Ear Envy was wanting me not to bring our beach bucket and sandcastle making equipment. He said that we were not going to probably be doing the beach. He had the older children saying “yeah, it would be embarrassing to carry the beach bucket through the airport”. I said let’s just bring it because we don’t have time for this conversation now, we could decide in the car. It was 7:10, and we were behind schedule because we had not gotten breakfast yet. I quickly packed the waters in the only available front space in several of the bags. I shoved a water in my purse…but wait…it was the one I was drinking and the lid wasn’t closed tightly. :scared:

Will the tickets, itinerary, and list of allowable foods get completely destroyed by my ill placed water? Will we miss our flight? Stay tuned for the next installment……

A little off topic but Today is my 40th birthday!!!!!!!!! I hope you enjoy the trip report.:bday:

Keep it coming. I am very interested in your report- My son is being granted his wish to go to disney in December and his brother has major food allergies.
Happy Birthday!

:cake: Happy Birthday!!! :bday: party:

I think you are doing a great job on your trip report! I cannot imagine packing on the morning of departure day!! I am already trying to figure out where I can lay out/sort out things that are going with us so that DD4 & DD1 won't get into them and screw up any system I may have! :rotfl: We are also going away for the weekend right before we leave (on a Tuesday) so I won't be able to pack everything until Monday after work!! :eek: I'm a planner....can you tell!

Can't wait to read more!!

palpluto-WDW and GKTW was amazing for food allergies. Our daughter ate better than at home, and we had some tears of joy shed over some of the fantastic meal moments at Disneyworld and Friendlies. The chefs at WDW and staff at GKTW were awesome! I don't want to get ahead of myself, but all of the food pictures turned out great.

Iluvmickeymouse-It wasn't my intention to pack the morning of at all, I am a planner too. If only there had been a way to pack weeks ahead and hide the luggage so no one would get into it....I think other people do have enough clothes that packing up a weeks worth still leaves them with clothes to wear....as is we were getting clothes bought the night before out of the dryer to pack the morning of too. Good luck on your planning and packing. I learned that a person can not start packing too early. I had laid everything out on a large craft table and asked that no one touch it. A lot of us were feeling poorly just before the trip, but when trip day came, the adrenaline started pumping and we were able to overcome!:dance3:

Happy, happy birthday!! I just turned 40, too, on the 13th! Your pretrippie has had me totally enthralled all afternoon/evening, you sound like such a great mom, schooling and nursing your family all the time. I wish I could be as calm about things as you seem to be (I was freaking out when DH started his own business 3 years and blue cross deemed him un-insurable, AND me just because I had borderline high blood pressure. Well, got that straightened out, but still...) We have a great family doc for me and DD, who is newly totally into supplements instead of prescriptions, and has me on an antioxidant formula he is trying himself instead of statins, etc. DH has to go to the VA (thanks goodness he was in the military) b/c of a blood clotting disorder and needing coumadin. I know it's rat poison, and that really worries me:sad2: .

So, not to tell you my life story, but just to say I admire everything you do for your family! I can't wait to hear about your trip--we are going a week from tomorrow :cool1: , and I have stacks of clothes around the house to be packed, too. I can totally relate to the packing thing. That's what I had planned on doing this afternoon, before I couldn't pull myself away from reading your story!

Happy B-day and I'm so happy to hear that you had a wonderful trip.

More please !!popcorn::

WhosyourMickey,
So, they were able to make meals for your child at GKTW and knew how to deal with the allergies? Eating in the Gingerbread house would be awesome for my son if they are able to accomodate him. Disney has the allergy thing down so I know to plan any meals at Disney so that he can eat there.

Looking forward to more!!:banana: Sorry about your pix, can't wait to see the ones that turned out! (it does sound like there was something weird in the air for ALL THREE of the MaW families to lose pix!):confused3

I'm hanging on the cliff waiting! I am thrilled about the food thing too. If my ds can eat out with the whole family even at GKTW that would be a dream in and of it's self. I did have a brief email exchange with GKTW about this subject and they were very kind but we agreed to wait until closer to our trip to make arrangements- I thought that would just mean they could tell me where to shop for certain foods- would be so awesome if they prepare foods right there though!! MORE... More... more... please...:banana:

Welcome Home WYM!

I am excited to hear about your trip details! Happy birthday too! Forty huh...I remember 40...LOL. My kids and I were in the car and DS8 asked me if I was the biggest in the family. I said no, DS14 and DH are the biggest, being 6'3" and 6'5" respectively. My DS7 chimed in and said "no, mom isn't the biggest, she is the oooooooldest." Thanks bud!

I had to chuckle thinking of you zipping up bags and having the girls chase errant water bottles. We live on a hill too...it makes taking groceries out of the car kind of like an arcade game...catch things coming out of the back of the Suburban before they knock you over and roll down the hill. Sort of a grocery game of Frogger or something.

Very glad to hear that the salivary gland issue was not only diagnosed before the trip but also almost all better! Sorry to hear DH was starting to feel poorly. My DH would be thrilled if shopping made him sick and he would never have to go again. Shopping induced malaise should put your husband in the guy hall of fame or something.

Keep up the good work...looking forward to more!

Happy Birthday!!

Oh what a start to your trip. It can only get better though, right? :) I can't wait to hear the rest!

It was Black Ear Envy who took AAAT girl shopping for shoes and did the fitting. They didn’t get keens, but a different brand of shoe called a Privo. It was a $75 dollar shoe marked down to $34 at Marshalls. I didn’t know anything about Privo’s and had never heard of them, but figured for the price, they should be a quality pair of shoes.

WYM:

I took my DS12 shopping this weekend. She tried on some Privo's and I too had never heard of them before. I took a look at the box. They are a division of Clark's shoes...the company who made the original seventies shoe, the Wallaby. They were displayed along with the other Clark's, the Merrill's the Keens, and the Uggs. Basically, the ugly comfortable shoe section. The sales clerk had a pair on and said that when she got hers she put some moleskin on the back of her heel for a couple of days until she broke in the shoes, and since then it has been fine. If the shoe is too small for her, she may be stuck, but hopefully this will help out AAAT girl.

I've enjoyed reading your pre-trip and i'm going to enjoy this report too.

becca

:goodvibes Howdy!!!! Thought /i'd subbed on this!:confused3
It was great meeting ya'll!! I was looking at some of our pics earlier and when I got to the ones with you-know-who! There were our kiddos with looks of amazement and wonderfull smiles!! Even Midter T came @!! He tried to act like he just wasn't into "that sort of thing"! Guess which pic He took and showed his class? He has raved about the "private meeting" to everyone! Seethe magic does get ahold of you!!
Hope ya'll are all doing well! It's been CRA-ZY sine we got back, but I'm going to try to start a TR soon! I did open a photobucket account today. I've just gotta start loading those pics!!! B's surgery was rescheduled to this thurs. So if I'm not @ much you know why, but I WILL catch up!
:goodvibes

WGM- Happy Birthday! :cake: :bday: :jumping1: Wow, what a handful you have too! Have fun on your trip! I hope you are packed by now...:rotfl:

Mryppns, Bex and Plantlady-glad you are enjoying it, hopefully more to come soon....I've got all the Discovery Cove pics...

palpluto-Yes, dd was able to eat meals in the gingerbread house, but not the first night, only when the day before we made arrangements for them to separate out a portion of the food during prep time the next morning to be specially prepared without things she was allergic too. Nancy is the coordinator for food allergies at the Gingerbread house and helped us. She is very knowledgable about food allergies and found ice cream that dd could eat at the store. It is her passion to help the children with food allergies that come to GKTW. I would call GKTW and leave a message for Nancy. I spoke with Nancy for about an hour a month before our trip. Unfortunately, our pic of dd and Nancy didn't save to the camera. DD ate rice dream with whipped topping at friendlies for breakfast and after dinner every day. Even when the night before we left, she ate the last bit of her special ice cream and friendlies was out, sometime late at night or early in the am they went out and got dd more rice dream. She was able to have one more sundae before we left for the airport. They were very thoughtful to go out and buy more ice cream and dd was so glad to get one last friendlies.

Momof2withCF-Isn't it weird about the pictures? Dh found some of the missing pics on a hidden file...I hope he finds more hidden files.

Eyores mom-Yes, they were able to prepare her special dinners at the Gingerbread house, and they purchased special foods for me to prepare for her in the room for when meals at the Gingerbread house would not work. A special dietary needs food basket arrived about 1/2 an hour after we arrived at the villa. It contained some of the foods I had told Nancy that dd could eat.

Pirates4me:pirate: ARGH!

5dwarves-LOL :lmao: We DO play a grocery game of frogger often too! I gave you the correct visual then.....OMG...I have to open the back of the van ever so slowly and the children reach under to try to get the groceries before they fall out sometimes. When we first moved, we couldn't shut our van doors on the hill. When we got a van with fancy electric shutting doors that would shut on the slope, it was so awesome.

My salivary stones are back, but now instead of two swollen glands there are six, and the lymph nodes beside them are swollen....I might go back to the naturopath in two days. I'd go tomorrow but our street is going to be closed and I would have to leave at 7am to get out before they close the street down....hey, I don't get out at 7am! We all know I can barely get out by 7:10 for Mickey Mouse.

AAAT girl told me that she doesn't plan on wearing the Privo's ever again. She doesn't think they are too small. Possible ebay fodder I guess unless they would take a return since honestly, they gave her about ten blisters. I get ahead of my TR....we just weren't too happy with the Privo's. Keens and birks and Columbia's, not a single blister to be had with the rest of the family...so Privo's kind of stink in my book especially for last minute shoppers without a lot of time to break in shoes.popcorn:: Now you will just wait for the TR to see how we dealt with the blisters. here is a hint:pirate: AAARGH!

WendyGrace-Oh yes, the trip gets better! It was the trip of a lifetime! It had so many wonderful moments that I can't wait to share with you all. It was dd's dream trip and she got her dreams and wishes. We came back feeling so blessed and so ministered too, so loved, and so completely given to in an over and above way. Balance that with a bit of exaustion and spending Wed, thurs, fri, sat, and sunday after coming back, resting from the trip too. Life outside of a wish trip doesn't happen this way but I can see a positive change in everyone as a result of this trip. It was very special. I can try to explain it but I feel very different after a week of getting our needs met....recharged...renewed...even with salivary stones and all.:flower3:

LeeLee-We will never forget our magical moment shared with you. I love that we got the pics together. I keep thinking of your son B saying "I just love princesses" to you know who. It was priceless. My girls were just in awe. Shhh...we can't give it away too much or we are going to drive the readers crazy:dance3:

You are already driving me crazy! I need to hear your story!!!!

And Michael just came up behind me and said "Hey Mommy! Look! Give Kids the World!" (to your siggie). He loves that place!

You are already driving me crazy! I need to hear your story!!!!

And Michael just came up behind me and said "Hey Mommy! Look! Give Kids the World!" (to your siggie). He loves that place!

I know Wendy! All these people who just got back are teasing us! LOL....Get with the program people...we want to vacation vicariously again! LOL....truthfully, we are all eager to hear about your wonderful times on your wish trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter