• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A warning about dishwasher detergent.

pampam

DIS Veteran
The rubber seal around my dishwasher door is turning gummy in the corners and needs to be replaced. The first thing my repair guy asked was if I use too much bleach. No, I don't use any bleach. I showed him what I was using. We have soft water and I was using the blue and white pucks with a red ball in the center. Apparently, it has bleach in it, is hard on our septic system, and eats the rubber gasket around the dishwasher. It will cost $70-80.00 for the part, plus labour and service call. An expensive lesson. He said to just use the regular crystal or gel dishwasher detergent.

Those blue and white Finish pucks are the same ones my plumber and my appliance person said to use. The plumber said most of the dishwashing detergents on the market stink at dissolving fats and you get clogged pipes, but the Finish pucks are better. The appliance guy said they're what the manufacturer recommends for the machine. You can't win.

Apparently there are 2 different types of finish pucks. The quantum is what I used and what did the damage. The other type, I think it is in layers, is not supposed to have bleach in it, but I guess I'd have to read the label to be sure.

I do not use the pucks, or tablet things at all. They don't fit well in my dishwasher, and sometimes get jammed and the door does not open. No big deal, so I use liquid or gel dish soap. (no bleach)

But my gasket things got gummy too, and were replaced last week. I was still under warranty, the repair man was fixing something else on the machine, so I requested the gasket seal thing get done too.

Hmmm

I've been using the Finish brand with the red power ball in the center for a while now. I guess I will have to check the seals.

I just used a free sample of the Cascade powder pack and it was so smelly (bleach ?) when I opened it. Our water now has chlorine added to it so maybe that's why it was so smelly. It did make the dishes cleaner than the Finish brand detergent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter