A story about Best Buy

Littlemotherhaywood

Mouseketeer
The credit card thread was talking about how some companies help and some companies don't so I wanted to share this.

Back in July of last year my dh and I bought a hard drive that had two mail-in rebates on it. One was a BB rebate. I followed the instructions to a T and sent it off. Months go by and nothing comes. I just figure the rebate department is REALLY slow. In the meantime, my dh and I go shopping for a tv for the kids playroom. I just wanted a basic tv, but they had a floor model with the built in dvd and vcr and it seemed like a good deal. We spoke to three different people including the department manager and all three state that it has a one year warranty on parts and labor. Okay, we should be pretty safe then. After we check out they inform us that it doesn't come with a remote. It's twenty dollars for a new remote and the store is closing, registers closed already, etc... So we go home with our remoteless tv feeling a little miffed but still happy to have a tv with the stuff built in for the kids. Approximately 108 days later the tv stops turning on. So we call BB and they direct us to the manufacturer who informs us that the tv only had a ninety day labor warranty and it's going to cost $80 to fix. So we call BB back really mad at this point and the manager of the store says tough luck. Isn't that nice? They said that it was our fault for not ordering a manual. Honestly, we already knew how to work the tv so that didn't occur to us. So the tv has been sitting unrepaired (on principle at this point) in our home for over three months. Finally, we call about the rebate and they say that the check was addressed to Kim Labetts (the lady who had our phone number before us) and sent to us. Well, it came in a disguised envelope and was sent back because it was addressed to the wrong person. We never even knew we got it. It turns out that they put our number in the system and her name came up and then they proceeded to ignore the other information on the rebate form with all of the lines that I painstakingly filled out. They said we should get the rebate but that they had to do a internal investigation...should take two weeks. A month later, still no rebate. Surprise, surprise! My dh calls back and they tell him that even though they can see that they messed up and that we did indeed purchase the product, the rebate forms are destroyed after ninety days and they can no longer issue the rebate. How ghetto is that? So now my dh is really mad (he's so much nicer on the phone than I am about these things). He called their corporate offices to talk to someone. Much to my surprise, they actually put him through to someone. After an hour on the phone and a very lengthy explanation, we're getting our rebate and they're sending us a gift card to cover the tv (meaning our tv will have been free). My dh only asked for the rebate, but apparently the gentleman felt for us and our harrowing ordeal. Now I'm going to be stuck with a $300 gift card for a store I have no real desire to shop at:) At the very least, they're in store customer service is definitely lacking and their csr at their center are lacking as well. One should never have to go to a corporate level to get a rebate honored especially when the supervisor admitted it was their mistake and we should have gotten it, she just couldn't give it us. Given that the guy at corporate has taken very good care of us though, we'll probably give them another chance. Well, that's if we receive the promised rebate and gift card (he said up to two weeks to get them). Just wanted to share.

It's good to know that their corp. office will stand by their word. I would see if the GC is transferrable. If so then sell it on ebay.

I really can't stand to shop in there. I've had issues before and heard of others as well.

I think the previous poster has a great idea to just sell it on ebay to someone else.

At least it worked out for you in the end - we always buy the extended warranties there - if it breaks they give you a GC for ther purchase price.

We had a car DVD player from Circuit City - with extended warranty - had to go rounds with them to do the right thing.

Staples ex warranty stinks, too!

ericamanda01 said:
It's good to know that their corp. office will stand by their word. I would see if the GC is transferrable. If so then sell it on ebay.

That's what my dh said we should do:) We don't need anything that they sell right now anyway. I guess I'll have to see what type of GC when we get it.

We bought a car DVD player, $375 on sale, from Best Buy a few years ago and used it one time for a beach trip. A few weeks after getting back, I tried to use it but the screen was blank, although the sound was okay. I called the store, they were completely unhelpful but gave me the manufacturer's 800 # to call. The mfr said they could fix it, provided I would pay for parts, labor and shipping. I went a few rounds on the phone with Best Buy and the mfr but got absolutely nowhere and finally gave up. I chalked it up to a learning lesson and have never shopped there again.

I have had similar experiences with my Best Buy purchases, multiple times. I think the only thing you are safe buying there is CD's.

This is my Mom's story, but I'll tell it...

She purchased a Sony Wega TV from Best Buy about 2 years ago during a free interest time so she paid it off before the interest kicked in and had a great tv. My mom never, ever buys an extended warranty because she sticks to certain brands she knows won't fail and does thorough research on purchases.

Well she and my Dad decide to buy a new house and they find there is a negative on her credit report. It is from Best Buy, they claim she purchased their extended warranty and never paid for it. So to fix this she breaks out her paid bill and calls customer service. They say they have her signed paper work proving she asked for the extended warranty. She says "then send it."

Over a year later she is still dealing with them, they still haven't provided any signed document saying she wanted an extended warranty and they referred her to a collection agency. I don't know what she is doing about it these days, but she'll never pay it and never shop at Best Buy again.

TV is a couple years old now still works perfectly.

This is why I buy at walmart. People can knock them all they want but return policy is great if you have something wrong (and not restocking fee).

Ok, was going to write my Best Buy horror story, but that would take too much space. Suffice it to say, I will NEVER shop BB again. I'm only stuck with them for 3 more years because of my service plan on my car CD player.

Oh and while I was fighting with them, 2 other customers in the line stated that this was the worst customer service they had ever seen and would not be back either.

Alice's Mom said:
This is my Mom's story, but I'll tell it...

She purchased a Sony Wega TV from Best Buy about 2 years ago during a free interest time so she paid it off before the interest kicked in and had a great tv. My mom never, ever buys an extended warranty because she sticks to certain brands she knows won't fail and does thorough research on purchases.

Well she and my Dad decide to buy a new house and they find there is a negative on her credit report. It is from Best Buy, they claim she purchased their extended warranty and never paid for it. So to fix this she breaks out her paid bill and calls customer service. They say they have her signed paper work proving she asked for the extended warranty. She says "then send it."

Over a year later she is still dealing with them, they still haven't provided any signed document saying she wanted an extended warranty and they referred her to a collection agency. I don't know what she is doing about it these days, but she'll never pay it and never shop at Best Buy again.

TV is a couple years old now still works perfectly.

I can get the corporate number from my husband if you want. That's really awful that she has something on her credit from them about that. I would definitely follow through on that. That could affect rates she has on everything.

Alice's Mom said:

Just have her dispute the item on her report. If Best Buy can't prove it belongs there, it will be removed.

I HATE BEst Buy. We call it Worst buy. I will NEVER buy from them ever again. I will throw something away if someone buys me something from there. If I can't get it anywhere else, I will go without!

Best Buy's on our list too. We bought a tv in Sept, it wouldn't turn on in Dec. Had it fixed as it was still on the 3 months warranty. In March it quit again.

Two gripes here:

The manufacturer of the product: tvs or any product should last longer than 3 months
Best Buy: "We don't care about you unless you buy our extended warranty"

My DH has talked to the corporate office and they said they'd fix it for free again, since it had already been fixed once. It's still at the repair shop and has been for over a month. I think they hope we forget about it.

This is the short version of the story and I sympathize with everyone else!

tmt martins said:
Here's something for all your troubles

Best Buys not having a good day

:thumbsup2

That is too funny!

BestBuy gets on my nerves, too. Their warranty thing is out of control- why can't they just sell quality items they stand behind?? I always joke that if you go in there and buy a soda they will ask you if you want to buy the extended warranty!

I remember going in there and buying a Gamecube. I was excited to make the purchase until the check-out girl said. You should really buy the warranty- everyone who buys one of these brings it back broken after about a month. That just irked me (1) because I knew its not true and (2) I feel like why would a store sell something that they know will break.

Thanks for the laugh! I wonder if that's the same group that public radio's This American Life did a feature on? The improv group randomly picked a small, unknown band and pretended to be groupies at one of their concerts.

(sort of long story about why warranties aren't all bad, but Best Buy isn't all that good either) I think I understand why you'd want to sell a gift card, if that's what you get - but what does your warranty promise? I'm only asking because ...
I bought an open box Toshiba laptop 2 years ago at Best Buy - had to buy the OB because the features were great and the laptop was just discontinued with none left in any store around. Should also mention that it was originally a $ 1600. laptop that I bought for $ 750. So, bought the 3-year extended warranty just in case, bringing cost up to around $ 1100. At month 14, laptop started to have "issues" that required service. So, took laptop to BB to be sent out -- seems Geek Squad is only good for installing memory and peripherals in a store. According to my service ticket, laptop would be back in 2 weeks. 2nd week came and went and no laptop, but there was an 800# on the service ticket so I called it. Number went to someplace where the voicemail box was full - 5 days in a row. Called the BB where I bought the laptop and where I had it sent out, and finally got through to the manager with this story. He apparently had another number to call, did so, and told me that I would have my laptop back in 3 days (now over 3 weeks since it was sent out). On day 3, the laptop shows up in a beat-up UPS box, which when opened showed that no packing stuff had been used to return it safely to me. I put the box in the car, called BB on the cellphone and started to drive there (a 45 minute trip). Asked for the manager I had talked to before, who wasn't in, but got another manager and told him about what had just been returned. Manager promised to be in when I got there and would be happy to "do whatever he could". Together we turned the laptop on, only to find that not only were the original issues not fixed, but laptop was damaged in shipment - no longer functional.
:badpc:

Ummm, "livid" and "disgusted beyond belief" were the nicest words uttered by me in the ensuing 10 minutes. This manager's idea of helping was to tell me that all he could do was give me the current book value of the laptop, about $ 500. Nothing close to what I had was currently on sale, so he said he guessed I'd be spending at least another $ 400. - $ 600. to get a laptop close to what I had (that the BB service people had wrecked). Now, apparently there had been a change in BB warranties because mine actually specified "replacement" and the current warranties didn't, just current value. Thank goodness I read what I'm buying. I looked at what was available and then stated there was no way I was paying more when my warranty specified replacement, especially when sending it out for BB service actually caused more damage. The manager called a higher manager and came back saying "sorry, this is all we can do" - to which I said I'd be happy to call BB executive management the next day and tell them the whole story, citing the less than stellar assistance I was getting and the managers' names and the experience with BB service breaking my laptop and returning it with no packing.

The manager said - you don't seem too upset, because you're so quiet. I guess he was hoping I'd flip out so he could get rid of me with some lame excuse. No way. I told him that I expected the replacement warranty to be honored and would be happy to escalate my issue as high as needed - I wasn't accepting anything less than a laptop of equivalent power and features. He placed at least 2 more phone calls and eventually I ended up with a laptop that was "almost as good as" what was ruined. Yes, I bought another extended warranty on the new laptop and yes, I actually got to pick it out.

The whole thing took over 3 hours in the store - the manager was ringing the exchange, etc. up after most of the employees had left for the night. It was very tiring - but worth it because "all" it cost me was a new warranty and some time (unfortunately, time wasted can't be reclaimed, but the result was worth it).

Good luck getting your problems resolved completely.

we call it Worst Buy here! I avoid that place at all costs. We bought a refrigerator there against my better judgement. An acquatintance of ours works there in the appliance dept. That is the only reason I shopped there. ANd our other one was broken so we desparately needed one.

Cynde

For what its worth, I have had customer service "issues" with Best Buy and no longer shop there either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter