• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Sisters‘ Summer Sailing to Scandinavia - update: After Cruise Day 2: Tivoli

I love how it gets dark even after the second dinner seating! It is so neat! I love reading it since it gives me ideas of what to expect for Norway. Especially the weather! Looks like we will be bringing a lot of warm clothes!

I've probably run through that section of deck four dozens of times and never noticed that map of the mooring deck. I'll have to look out for it next time! So cool! I too love those sections. It feels behind the scenes. :)

Nice update!

Sorry you had a hard time finding a quiet place to sit. It is understandable and a good thing that they have lots of activities planned during the day but they should try to keep at least one bar/lounge open for those who want to just be in a quiet place. Especially during a colder weather cruise.

Sorry you couldn't find quiet indoor places on the ship! That is a challenge of Northern Cruises as they are often very chilly. I love having the verandah so that hanging out in the room is not so dull. As you know Fran likes to nap a lot, so I'm often left looking for stuff to do on my own when we are not dining or in Mixology and the like.

I'm glad you showed your dishes from Animator's, this is slowly becoming my least favorite dining experience. They keep changing the menu and now I've heard they removed the truffle pursettes. I've been going over the menus on the Disney Cruise line Blog, but the most recent menu on there is over a year old. That spinach salad looked better than I would have thought. I don't like beets, but looking at the salad, I could eat around them! :lmao:

The Pork Cordon Bleu is something I've never seen before, only chicken, but the rolled presentation is something very American. This is a product that I keep in my freezer at home. On those nights that I'm worn out and don't feel like cooking 30 minutes in the oven and voila!

Barber-Foods-Chicken-Cordon-Bleu-600x600.jpg

Looking forward to hearing more when you're able to check in!

Great update! Sorry you had such a hard time finding a quiet lounge. You both looked very pretty in the pic with Minnie!

Long, lovely update. Too bad it was so cold and windy. I can see it put a bit of a damper on where you could really sit and enjoy some quiet time. :( Especially with all of the noisy events going on and such. In the end looks like you made it work, but oh my, coffee in paper cups? Just no. And that it was bad to boot? Sorry.

I can't believe you went swimming in that wind and cold! Yikes!

You 2 looked great for formal night! So pretty! Love that you got an unexpected treat to photos with a very lovely Minnie.

Dinner looked so yummy! I think I'd have have loved the salmon one with dill. Everything looked really nice. I agree that room itself sounds really amazing with the effects and the way it's decorated.

I love how it gets dark even after the second dinner seating! It is so neat! I love reading it since it gives me ideas of what to expect for Norway. Especially the weather! Looks like we will be bringing a lot of warm clothes!

Yes, layers are definitely recommended. Katharina and I both had a rain jacket, a soft shell and a fleece jacket. We combined them as needed. Also, we had thin hats and gloves and scarfs. And hiking boots. We also had brought long underwear for our hiking day, but we did not use it because we used the rain gear pants instead. They warm you up nicely, too!

I've probably run through that section of deck four dozens of times and never noticed that map of the mooring deck. I'll have to look out for it next time! So cool! I too love those sections. It feels behind the scenes. :)

I love it that we could show you something new!

Nice update!

Sorry you had a hard time finding a quiet place to sit. It is understandable and a good thing that they have lots of activities planned during the day but they should try to keep at least one bar/lounge open for those who want to just be in a quiet place. Especially during a colder weather cruise.

I was really missing the Outlook Cafe that they have on the Wonder for this purpose. Of course now this has been changed into a concierge lounge...

Sorry you couldn't find quiet indoor places on the ship! That is a challenge of Northern Cruises as they are often very chilly. I love having the verandah so that hanging out in the room is not so dull. As you know Fran likes to nap a lot, so I'm often left looking for stuff to do on my own when we are not dining or in Mixology and the like.

Yes, Katharina and I came to the conclusion that on a cold climate cruise, we would really think that at least a window would improve the cruise experience quite a bit.

I'm glad you showed your dishes from Animator's, this is slowly becoming my least favorite dining experience. They keep changing the menu and now I've heard they removed the truffle pursettes. I've been going over the menus on the Disney Cruise line Blog, but the most recent menu on there is over a year old. That spinach salad looked better than I would have thought. I don't like beets, but looking at the salad, I could eat around them! :lmao:

Hmm, need to see what menu we had on the Fantasy in November. I think the spinach thing was only for the European cruises. I had a look at the menu and it looks like that salad is with arugula for the Fantasy cruises. The one from 2016 looks like the one we had in December. I had the tuna steak for my main course and thought it was very good. Michael loved the beef.

The Pork Cordon Bleu is something I've never seen before, only chicken, but the rolled presentation is something very American. This is a product that I keep in my freezer at home. On those nights that I'm worn out and don't feel like cooking 30 minutes in the oven and voila!

Barber-Foods-Chicken-Cordon-Bleu-600x600.jpg

Interesting!! Yes, here you can buy it ready made, too. But I love it when it is pan fried.

Great update! Sorry you had such a hard time finding a quiet lounge. You both looked very pretty in the pic with Minnie!

Thanks!! Yes, we kept having that problem during the cruise and that is why I think in cold weather a porthole cabin is the way to go.

I love this picture!!

Thanks!

Ooo, Was that napkin made that way or was it just folded into that? Looks like it would be hard to fold it that way!

It was a standard napkin. Every night the napkins are folded in a different pattern to go with the dining room and the theme for the evening.

Looked like a great first day on the ship.

Yes, it was!

Long, lovely update. Too bad it was so cold and windy. I can see it put a bit of a damper on where you could really sit and enjoy some quiet time. :( Especially with all of the noisy events going on and such. In the end looks like you made it work, but oh my, coffee in paper cups? Just no. And that it was bad to boot? Sorry.

The weather was expected on a cruise so far north and I think we now have learned how valuable a cabin with a window is on those cold weather cruises.

I can't believe you went swimming in that wind and cold! Yikes!

The hot tub was really nice and warm!

You 2 looked great for formal night! So pretty! Love that you got an unexpected treat to photos with a very lovely Minnie.

Thank you! One of the nice things about the cruise is that you get the characters in so many different outfits. They also had Norwegian costumes on another day and they have nautical outfits, too. I am always too lazy to stand in line, but it is so fun to see how they are dressed up today.

Dinner looked so yummy! I think I'd have have loved the salmon one with dill. Everything looked really nice. I agree that room itself sounds really amazing with the effects and the way it's decorated.

I really like the dining room. It is not the most amazing thing ever as it was in 1998, but it is still very neat!

Cruise Day 3: Oil and Fish in Stavanger - Part 1

We had a not such a good night. Again the seas were not calm. That was not the problem. But this caused our wattle bottles to fall off the shelf in the early morning hours, waking both of us up. Katharina had huge trouble going back to sleep after that.

A little before 7 am we were both awake again. Tonight we had left the TV on the bridge view channel (without sound), so we saw that we were getting close to Stavanger port.

DSC06986.jpg

We decided to quickly hop out of bed and throw on some clothes to watch the docking maneuver from up on deck.

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

Stavanger is an interesting town. It used to be a fishing town with a large canning industry, mainly canning Atlantic herring for the export. They also were building ships there and had the largest shipyard in Scandinavia. However, everything changed with the discovery of the North Sea oil in in the 1960s. Stavanger became the main land base for most of the industry involved with the off-shore drilling of the North Sea oil.

One important fact to understanding Norway is to understand the fundamental change the discovery of the North Sea oil has had on Norway. Norway might be a large country in size, but it is a small country with a harsh climate. It was never a rich country. When the North Sea oilfields on the continental shelf belonging to Norway were discovered Norway decided to use these new resources to better the life of their population. A lot of the oil industry is state run and concessions are sold at a high price. The state is earning a lot of money through this and the money is put back into the country by paying for schools, health care, public transport and so. Today Norway is one of the countries with the highest standard of living in the world. But they are also smart and are getting prepared for when the oil runs out. They have a massive government “savings account” where a lot of the oil money goes into to be continue working. The Norwegian state is one large investor.

Actually, this makes Norway the perfect country to visit as a tourist: A lot of old charming buildings are still preserved because there was not a lot of money to build something new. But for a visitor it is a country that offers all modern amenities that you could wish for. The only downside is that this all comes at a price: Norway is an expensive country to visit. And for some reason the Norwegians have a rather restrictive policy on alcohol (it can only be bought in special shops and is very very pricey).

We were docking directly in the town’s center, next to us on the hill was the charming old town with its white houses:

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

Once we were docked (we watched our new friend from yesterday, Staff Captain Jason, and Commodore Tom doing a perfect job) we decided to head to Lumiere’s for breakfast, the table service option (instead of the buffet like yesterday).

We were seated at a 6-top where there were already two ladies seated. It turned out that they were mother and daughter. The husband/father was Norwegian, that was the reason for chosing the cruise. They were American. However, when we said we were from Germany it turned out that they were fluent in German as well and even knew Nuremberg, where I live!

I only took a picture of the menu, not of our food. Did not want to scare out table mates:

DSC06996.jpg

So, I am sorry to say that I have no idea what we had for breakfast. I just know that we were not that thrilled with breakfast there and never returned. On the Wonder I had loved Triton’s and Beach Blanket Buffet was not great. Here, Cabanas actually was a wonderful upgrade to the buffet on the Magic. I already mentioned the lovely tables with a view. Also, Lumiere’s seems far darker than Triton’s and the overall décor is more “stuffy”.

We headed back to the cabin to grab our stuff. It looks like I used that time to take a few pictures in the atrium. First the two main elevators:

DSC07009.jpg

You have a view of the atrium from those mid ship elevators. Once the atrium ends above deck 5, there is actually a really nice surprise! However, here once again I think the surprise on the Wonder is much nicer than the one on the Magic.

This is the Port Adventures Desk:

DSC07010.jpg

Here they had screens with “travel posters” of the different destinations of the cruise. I really liked this one of Geiranger Fjord:

DSC07011.jpg

I think it is a shame that Disney does not use this art work for any merchandise.

When we got off the ship I found those blue hoses interesting:

DSC07013.jpg

A closer look:

DSC07014.jpg

Obviously, they store drinking water on the ship and they were replenishing it here in Stavanger. I had always read that all the drinking water is desalinated and cleaned sea water. However, this picture proves that it is not. Not sure what they were using it for though, cooking, crew, passengers? I also always found that the tap water was very drinkable on my previous cruises. However, here on the Magic we noticed that the tap water had a distinct chlorine taste. Therefore we made sure to always fill up our water bottles at the drinks station. The water there was free from any chlorine taste.

The port building:

DSC07016.jpg

And the view back to the Magic:

DSC07017.jpg

Next up on the pier was a historic ship, the Rogaland:

DSC07020.jpg

Our first stop was to find a bank to get some Norwegian money, to find the tourist office and to find some free wifi. The wifi was important not only for checking email and such, but to find out where the bakery Godt Brød was. Someone on the DIS had posted about this bakery shortly before our cruise and I had looked it up and had seen that they had branches in Stavanger and Bergen and we made a mental note of trying them. Well, we forgot to actually print out a map as to where to find them…

We walked across the main market square which was at the end of the harbor basin.

DSC07021.jpg

The other big ship was a French cruise ship from Croisières de France, which is a subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Cruises. Therefore half of the tourists walking around Stavanger were French.

On the market square they had several foot prints from former Nobel Peace Prize winners.

This was an American who received the prize:

DSC07023.jpg

Al Gore, who won in 2007 together with the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change "for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change"

Down at the waterfront was also this row of attractive houses:

DSC07027.jpg

You can tell that they used to be used for trade as you can see where the hoist (? Is that the correct word?) would have been installed.

Just up the hill from there we found a bank, the tourist info and a Starbucks (we did not go inside, the wifi worked fine outside for our purposes…).

From there we walked past the church and a park back towards the old city.

DSC07031.jpg

DSC07032.jpg

There was a park and looking out into the park with his back to us was someone who was wearing an interesting Disney Cruise Line jacket. It looked interesting and we had a closer look – I even took a picture because I found it so fascinating. I cropped it to show what we thought was so interesting:

DSC07033_1.jpg

We will come back to this…

DSC07035.jpg

DSC07037.jpg

DSC07038.jpg

DSC07042.jpg

DSC07047.jpg

DSC07048.jpg

DSC07050.jpg

DSC07051.jpg

Continued in Part 2

Cruise Day 3: Oil and Fish in Stavanger - Part 2

Our destination was the Hermetikkmuseum – yes, the “hermetic” museum. It is about food that is conserved by being closed up hermetically in a tin can. So, the English translation would be Canning Museum. Or more precisely Fish Canning Museum – remember what I was telling you about Stavangers history. http://www.museumstavanger.no/museums/the-norwegian-canning-museum/

DSC07053.jpg

DSC07054.jpg

The museum was in an old canning factory. Factory is already a far too grand of a term, it was really a tiny production facility. They were showing all the stages of the process of how the sardines got into the cans. Good for us, they showed the process with plastic sardines, not the real deal. I am sure it would not have smelled so nice.

The beginning of the self guided tour (there was also a free guided tour, but we chose to just go through on our own) was in the can factory and it showed you how they used to produce the cans. That was done on the premises as well.

DSC07056.jpg

DSC07057.jpg

DSC07060.jpg

Then we got to where the fish were being delivered to and then they were all threaded into a frame:

DSC07064.jpg

DSC07066.jpg

The frames were then put into the different smoking ovens:

DSC07067.jpg

DSC07077.jpg

Once the fish are smoked, this machine cuts their heads off (and frees them from the frame):

DSC07070.jpg

And then some workers were packing the sardines into the cans:

DSC07071.jpg

DSC07072.jpg

Afterwards the cans were filled up with olive oil important from Spain (no olive trees growing in Norway) and then closed up and packaged.

Upstairs they had an interesting exhibition of labels that they used for different markets and they showed a film that was actually made at the time of the height of the canning factories.

DSC07082.jpg

DSC07087.jpg

DSC07085.jpg

There was a volunteer guide up there who was very nice and when he heard that we were from Germany he made a point to show us these labels:

DSC07080.jpg

We talked about how sad it was that Germany once was such a nationalistic country and how he was embarrassed about that Norwegians thought it would be a good idea to play along and voluntarily offer designs on their cans that fit the political climate in Germany.

There were also quite a few prices that the Stavanger sardines had won:

DSC07081.jpg

DSC07084.jpg

Supposedly they were especially good because they were smoked and then put into high quality oil. I would not know, I have never felt the desire to eat any canned sardines.

We picked up some canned sardines in the gift shop for our father as a gift. He said they tasted just like canned sardines do.

We walked down the hill and past our lovely ship:

DSC07092.jpg

With the sun out Stavanger looked even a bit prettier than in the morning:

DSC07093.jpg

DSC07096.jpg

We decided to head to the bakery that we had researched earlier. It was a nice little shop which seemed very friendly and had lots of good looking baked goods. Our main objective for coming here was to try school bread. For a lot of people here on the DIS it seems that school bread is one of their Must Eats when visiting WDW. It is on sale at Norway in Epcot. So, we thought we should try to get the original. We were in luck and they were selling it there. It probably cost at least as much as they charge in Epcot for it, food is really expensive in Norway. Therefore going on a cruise where most of your meals are covered is actually a good way of seeing the country!

So, this is what we got:

DSC07099.jpg

Two coffees and one school bread to share. It was really tasty!! Like most Scandinavian baked goods (in Denmark not so much, but in Sweden and Finland it is the norm), the dough was quite nicely spiced with cardamom. Then in the middle was a hole that was filled with the lightest butter cream and then you had the coconut flakes on top. It was amazing!!

After our little break (there was also wifi to be found inside the wonderful bakery), we moved on to other sights in Stavanger.

First a pretty man hole cover:

IMG_0244.jpg

(just an interesting side note, the German word for this is Gullydeckel, “Deckel” means cover and Gully is actually one of the few loanwords that made it into German from English before the middle of the 20th century. Now with computers and pop culture we have a million. But in the old times they were much less common.)

DSC07102.jpg

This was our destination:

DSC07105.jpg

The Valberg Tower which was a fire watch tower giving you an excellent overview of the whole town. Now it is used to give tourists that view.

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

We walked through some streets with shops and restaurants towards our next destination:

DSC07115.jpg

DSC07118.jpg

DSC07119.jpg

DSC07120.jpg

Continued in Part 3

Cruise Day 3: Oil and Fish in Stavanger - Part 3

The Norsk Oljemuseum – or Norwegian Petroleum Museum:

DSC07121.jpg

http://www.norskolje.museum.no/en/

Outside they had a very strange looking playground that seemed to have been made by repurposed abandoned oil drilling gear:

DSC07123.jpg

There were plenty of nursery/kindergarten aged kids in groups having a great time there!

This museum was a total contrast to the Norwegian Canning Museum. It was large, expensive and “glittery” – well as glittery as oil can be.

However, it also was very informative and I learned a lot about how off shore drilling works. And compared to the Gulf of Mexico, the conditions they work in there in the North Sea are harsh.

The museum started out with an introduction of the history and where the oil was:

DSC07134.jpg

How Norway was using the oil:

DSC07135.jpg

This was a counting clock telling you how much money they had already set aside:

DSC07136.jpg

And then we got to the exhibit on technology and how it had advanced since the 70s:

DSC07139.jpg

DSC07140.jpg

DSC07143.jpg

DSC07144.jpg

DSC07145.jpg

Then there was quite a bit about dangers of living and working on an oil platform. This is a rescue capsule:

DSC07149.jpg

Which we looked at on the inside as well:

DSC07147.jpg

Yes, Katharina does look skeptical here. But who would not be skeptical about imagining to sit in one of these, being dropped ten stories into the harsh North Sea during a storm???

At least you got a seat belt!

DSC07146.jpg

Thy also had a rescue ladder that you could try out:

DSC07152.jpg

DSC07153.jpg

Unfortunately it was closed that day. It looked interesting. Better than that capsule!

You could also try out drilling a little bit:

IMG_1516.jpg

It was a bit anticlimactic as the only thing that happened was that this thing started to turn:

DSC07155.jpg

It did not even make much noise. And Katharina did not find any oil here in the port of Stavanger.

The museum was quite crowded. There were plenty of Norwegian school classes visiting that day and then there were several groups from excursions from the Disney Magic who were led through the museum at lightening speed. I really did not see the point in that (unless, maybe you had mobility issues and this was the easiest way to get your scooter transported, but I am not even sure they did take scooters on that excursion). It is really easy to walk to and certainly worth it to explore as it is part of Norwegian culture.

After our visit we were quite exhausted. We headed back towards the shopping streets thinking we would get a snack somewhere.

DSC07159.jpg

In the end we decided to just head back to our lovely bakery to get a sandwich there. This we did and we also shared an interesting black currant soda:

DSC07159.jpg

Katharina had bought a postcard to send it to her husband, so we had to find a mailbox. This is what they look like in Norway:

IMG_0245.jpg

We walked a little on the other side of the port than the one the Magic was using and ended up at the customs building:

DSC07171.jpg

A look back into town from there:

DSC07175.jpg

And a picture of me taking the picture above:

IMG_0247.jpg

Yes, you know this picture already from the start of the trip report!!

We headed back to the ship now as we were quite tired from walking around town. On the way we made a quick stop at a 7 eleven to pick up some Norwegian candy.

Once back on the ship we settled in at the adult pool on some loungers and enjoyed the sunshine and the relatively empty ship. We had the usual drink of the day and got some chicken strips and fries:

DSC07189.jpg

DSC07179.jpg

If you know chicken strips on the DCL ships departing from US ports, you will immediately notice that these were very different! One of the things that can change depending on where they get their food from. During the cruise the shape and size of the hash browns also changed.

We also had some of the candy that we just bought:

DSC07181.jpg

DSC07182.jpg

It was delicious!!

We had a great time hanging out in the sun (Katharina was so nice to make a note that I volunteered to go and pick up our sunscreen from the room and that she appreciated that).

When the ship was getting ready to depart we went to watch that.

DSC07190.jpg

And then we stayed at our spot to watch the ship sailing away from Stavanger. We passed an oil rig that was being built or serviced or so:

DSC07193.jpg

It was really very beautiful out there:

DSC07194.jpg

DSC07195.jpg

DSC07208.jpg

One other lady was hanging out there as well and by chance she was wearing that same jacket that we had seen earlier in the day on someone else. The 1998 DCL Entertainment jacket. Since we had started a conversation with her about the view and Stavanger I decided to ask her. And she was indeed part of the original crew of the Disney Magic. She had worked at WDW for a long time before that and then was asked to take a job in the entertainment department for the cruise. It was fascinating to talk to her. She knew our Commodore Tom from then. And prompted by an announcement from him about how the weather would be very stormy during the night made a comment that he was as dry as ever and still Disney had not really rubbed off on him. We totally got what she meant! Katharina and I had a lot of fun with Commodore Tom’s announcements during the cruise. He has a way of talking that is totally devoid of emotion. Very flat. And if he tries to tell you something about amazing landscapes it comes across as so disconnected from the content of what he is saying. Sometimes I got the impression that he was actually doing this as an act a little bit. Kind of that it is his stick… Tomorrow evening will be the one announcements that had Katharina and me laughing so much!

Once we were out at sea and it had gotten far too windy at our spot, we went to get ready for dinner.

DSC07218.jpg

Continued in Part 4

Cruise Day 3: Oil and Fish in Stavanger - Part 4

Next stop were some pre-dinner drinks at Keys, the piano bar in the adult district on the Magic.

It has a fancy cocktail menu:

DSC07225%201.jpg

DSC07230.jpg

We got the lovely “peanut boat” that I knew from the Fantasy:

DSC07223.jpg

And then decided on drinks. Katharina had a sparkling wine and I had a cocktail, I think I had the Margalicia:

DSC07224.jpg

I am not sure if it was on this occasion, but since Keys is a piano bar, they had a lady who played the piano and sang to it doing sets. Her name was Clara Oman and she was very popular with a lot of people on that cruise. However, we were not her greatest fans. She was quite good. But the problem is that her popularity and the volume of the piano and her singing made the bar very crowded when she was performing. I think we came in while the early show was still going on and therefore had not trouble finding a seat, but then people just poured in and were standing at the entrance and that took away from the bar atmosphere we were looking for. We wanted to chat, not listen to a concert. We learned to time our visits to Keys better. But then we ran into the same problem as before. When she was performing, there was something going on in every indoor space on the ship.

When it was time for dinner, we made our way over to Carioca’s.

DSC07238.jpg

Katharina really loved our table there which was close to the windows, but at the end of the dining room. So, it felt very quiet where we sat. Katharina thinks (according to her notes) that that was the best table of the three we had in the different dining rooms.

Yes, exactly for the reason stated above – more natural light and also it was the one with the least bit of service stuff in the view. As Magdalene very kindly offered me most of the times the seat looking into the dining room, I was mostly looking onto service stations it seemed. Except for Carioca’s.

DSC07239.jpg

The menu for tonight:

DSC07233.jpg

We got the bread for the evening, which was Banana Bread with Mango-Mint-Mojo:

DSC07232.jpg

Once again due to lack of notes, I am not sure who ate what. This is Ahi Tuna and Avocado Tower with Red Pepper Wasabi, Chopped Patacones and Caviar:

DSC07240.jpg

I think we both had this.

I think so too.

Then there was a salad course. First the regionally inspired New Potatoe Salad with Chevil and Green Beans:

DSC07241.jpg

Not sure what Chevil is and where the green beans are hiding… Looks like they were substituted with rocket instead. I think this was one of the few menu description fails on this cruise. On my Panama Canal cruise it drove me crazy that the menu was promising those exotic things and then what came out only fit the description loosely. So, I am very critical in this regard and I have no big memories of this happening a lot on any other cruise than the Panama Canal cruise.

I also think that this was Katharina’s salad as she would be the one to order a potato dish over a pineapple dish and the next salad has a lot of pineapple. It is the Cuban Salad with Watercress, Avocado, Pineapple, Toasted Cuban Cread (ok, this must be a typo! That’s what it says on the menu, I am sure they meant Bread!) and a Cider Vinegar Dressing:

DSC07242.jpg

For our entrees we had another Regional Inspiration, the Thyme Marinated Spring Lamb Sirloin, Creamed White Beans, Rosemary Roasted Potatoes and Red Wine Lamb Jus:

DSC07243.jpg

And the other dish was the Grilled Rum-Marinated Swordfish with Black Bean Muneta, Roasted Corn and Boniato Fries:

DSC07244.jpg

If I look at where the butter dish is positioned on the table, I think the swordfish is Katharina’s choice (and that does make sense). It also confirms that she had the “fake” potatoe salad.

I don’t remember any of theese dishes, I guess I wasn’t impressed...

We moved on to dessert:

I think this the regional Aarhus Orange Almond Tarte layered with rich Chocolate Ganache and Raspberry Sauce and it looks like Katharina’s choice:

DSC07245.jpg

I had the Coconut Tres Leches – Moist Coconut Cake soaked in three Milks served with light Coconut Cream:

DSC07246.jpg

I remember liking this very much!

While we were having dessert our lovely server came to make us fun hats out of napkins. Katharina was first and she was very skeptical about what was happening there as you can see:

DSC07247.jpg

But then she liked it.

DSC07248.jpg

She liked it even better when I was treated to some ridiculous headgear as well:

IMG_0250.jpg

She liked it so much that this is now the picture that comes up on her phone when I call her… I chose it not (only) because of the headgear, but because you look really happy!

All in all we really liked dinner there that night. Katharina was happy that she managed not to overeat. But she kept getting very cold in the dining rooms. She made a note that evening if she should wear the long johns that we brought for a hiking day to the dining room the next evening… I don’t think she ever did.

After dinner we walked around a little, met Minnie in the atrium:

DSC07265.jpg

Back at our cabin we had not only a new towel animal waiting

DSC07266.jpg

but also an invitation to Anna’s Chocolate Hunt that was starting the next day:

DSC07267.jpg

By the time we went to bed, we had already gone quite a distance from Stavanger:

DSC07269.jpg

And we were seeing the lovely evening light on the bridge camera at 11pm before falling into bed:

DSC07270.jpg

Up Next: Cruise Day 4: Smashed Windows and Trolls in Ålesund

Last edited:

The other big ship was a French cruise ship from Croisières de France, which is a subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Cruises. Therefore half of the tourists walking around Stavanger were French.

That is the Horizon!! :love: I was on that ship back in I think it was 1999 when it was part of Celebrity Cruises, really nice ship!

The museum was in an old canning factory. Factory is already a far too grand of a term, it was really a tiny production facility. They were showing all the stages of the process of how the sardines got into the cans. Good for us, they showed the process with plastic sardines, not the real deal. I am sure it would not have smelled so nice.

I am glad to hear it was plastic fish too, I thought to myself, that would be a stinky tour, :sick: LOL!

Nice update, looks like a cute little town.

Beautiful views on Sailaway!

Looks like you had a nice dinner!

Crazy that it is still that light out at 11:00pm!

Last edited:
What an adorable town! Nice that you were able to manage to see so many things.

Oh, I want to go back to Stavanger!!! So many memories l reading your beautiful report and seeing those gorgeous pics... We visited Stavanger by ourselves in the morning, but went on an excursion in the afternoon so didn't have time for much.

Good thing we didn't go to the Petroleum Museum though, don't think we would have managed to get our daughter out of that funky looking playground...

Looking forward to Alesund!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter