A Signature a Day Keeps Reality Away: A Sep '15 Dining Report - Updated 4/11 x2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I'd most a few pictures of all the blizzard-filled "fun" we've been having over the last two days. All tolled we got a little over 30 inches of snow, which is certainly the most Casey has ever seen in her lifetime (and hopefully will ever). We spent the morning trying to dig out, now just at the mercy of the snow plows to clear our neighborhood.

Here is a pic from yesterday in the throws of the storm with wind gusts up to 45 mph. Our light post is about 6 feet high.
IMG_0956.JPG

And here is Casey with the same light post this morning.
FullSizeRender.jpg

This is the current view down my street
IMG_0957.JPG

And Casey attempting to "help" while we shoveled
IMG_0965.JPG

Of course the dogs had to get into the mix two. They aren't the most photogenic (they take after me), but here is one loving the snow.
IMG_0978.JPG

My kind of peeps, margaritas and nachos. I do like those chips at Capt Cookes, something different for sure. They look like something I need to try on a future trip for sure. Hope you guys made it through the storm ok. Our high today here in San Antonio, TX is 73!
Margaritas and nachos is pretty darn perfect. In fact that sounds like it may be a good dinner tonight : )

Just posted a couple of storm pics. Yesterday was a blast, clean-up today not so much. And thanks for rubbing in the temperature. I talked to my brother in Austin a few times yesterday and he kept reminding me how smart he was to leave DC.

I am totally jealous of your snow! We are from California but live in NH and we have had very little snow this year so far. I was hoping for a good Saturday blizzard! That margarita sounds amazing!! I'm surprised they don't have it at AKL or I'm hoping it is a new addition and I can enjoy it in less then a month!
You can be jealous of the storm, provided I don't have to go to work tomorrow ; ) Fingers crossed the government is closed.

The margarita was definitely amazing. I was surprised I hadn't seen it around either.

I think that sounds like a perfect combination. Nice and fruity, perfect for a poolside treat!
Perfect indeed!!!!!

I hear great things about those nachos! And it looks like Casey (and your other child) had a blast at the pool!
Both kids definitely had a blast :-)

Wow, the snow looks like my neck of the woods not yours, we live in Duluth, Minnesota on the big lake (Superior) so a lot of snow is typical for us but 30" at one time puts us at a standstill so I can only imagine living in a big city like you do! Love your reviews, we stayed at the Poly November 2014 and we really liked the food at Captain Cookes. We shared the nachos yummy. I have booked August with a great deal again and we are staying at the GF for the first time so we will head over to the Poly I am sure. Are you going again with that great deal? Sure can't beat it. I would think your snow will melt pretty fast since your area warms up. Our snow doesn't leave until April, hence the many Disney trips for us.

Those snow pictures remind me why I'm happy I no longer live in New England & haven't since 2008.

Omg, all of that snow! I can't even handle it. 30 inches is a TON! At least it's enough that's kinda fun (although what a PITA to shovel..) and will maybe get you out of working tomorrow?

Justin and his brother thankfully made it safely back - I think they were about an hour ahead of the storm. His brother ended up needing to fly to Connecticut for work so he drove back with Justin and flew out of Cleveland (where he used to live & where Justin's parents live) rather than stay in Richmond and fly from there.

I hope you had enough beer and wine to get you through!! ;)

First time commenting - but I love all your dining reviews! They give much inspiration. The Bloody Mary..w/wasabi - and that margarita!

I feel you on the snow this weekend...we live in NYC...almost 27 inches - of course we do not have to shovel and looking at your view - I must say I am thankful for that.

Unlike your little one - mine actually did not like the snow and now is saying she can't go to school tomorrow - because she can't walk in that snow again!!! Mommy can we please move to Disney! :sad:

We going back to Yak and Yeti for dinner next month. I mentioned the ahi nachos to my husband but he just cringed. He won't touch ahi tuna. But we are determined to try the fried won tons. I'll have to save some room this time. ;)

We'll be staying at WL on our upcoming trip (just changed from beach club today) so I'm sure we'll be back at Artist Point. We've only done it once and were dead tired the night we had it, so looking forward to experiencing it wide awake ; )
We stayed at the WL earlier this month and had dinner at Artist Point. We had a complimentary Artisanal Cheeses appetizer, the first time we ever had it. I was surprised how much I enjoyed trying the differences cheeses with their accompaniments. Yum.

Casey ordered the Mickey pancakes, which were just regular pancakes put together to form a Mickey shape vice actually being shaped like him like the waffles are.
That is a cheap way to make mickey pancakes. DH makes the real kind for the grandkids, with ears attached to the pancake, not tucked under.

I've found service at Kona is always lacking.
The poor service and the feeling that we are eating in an airport keeps us away from Kona. The Kona coffee sounds good, though. Do they serve it anywhere else?

Jason and I decided to share the Pulled Pork Nachos
I love these things. We need to get back to Captain Cookes.

nd here is Casey with the same light post this morning.
Wow, that is amazing. We have gotten a few big snows like that here in Chicago, but not 30 inches.

This is the current view down my street
Is there supposed to be a street under all that snow? I hope that you have the day off tomorrow.

Last edited:
Your Poly picks put me right back there! Which is a very good place to be right about now... Your snow, yikes! We have escaped major snow this year, though we are due after last year. Wow, you have a totally new landscape. We do drink, I mean think alike. I also tried the Nieue Rita at the Barefoot Bar. Mine was mostly juice, which I love, but no noticeable alchohol. And keeping up with my 3 year old prohibited me from sampling any others. Love the splash pad!

I always enjoy your dining reports! We are going in May and Yak and Yeti is on the top of my list - those nachos for two look AMAZING! I will definitely be trying them.

We are originally from the DC area as well (NoVA born and raised!), but JUST moved to the midwest less than a month ago for my husband's job. All I have to say is Thank God we didn't have to deal with that :scared:. I've been getting pics and constant updates from neighbors, friends and family all weekend and it's just crazy how high that snow got in some places with the snow drifts.

Looking forward to reading more!

Oh my! Jiko looks yummy! The lamb and even the vegetarian dish all looked great!

Another place in my must to list! Kona, looks yum, but it really bothers me when service is lacking! Pick it up people!!!

"You know what turkey taste like" :rotfl2:. You kill me kid!

The pulled pork nachos look delish!

Stay safe and warm! We got about 2 feet here....

Wow, the snow looks like my neck of the woods not yours, we live in Duluth, Minnesota on the big lake (Superior) so a lot of snow is typical for us but 30" at one time puts us at a standstill so I can only imagine living in a big city like you do! Love your reviews, we stayed at the Poly November 2014 and we really liked the food at Captain Cookes. We shared the nachos yummy. I have booked August with a great deal again and we are staying at the GF for the first time so we will head over to the Poly I am sure. Are you going again with that great deal? Sure can't beat it. I would think your snow will melt pretty fast since your area warms up. Our snow doesn't leave until April, hence the many Disney trips for us.
I can only fathom the snow you all must get, but yes all at once has definitely brought us to a halt. Keeping my fingers crossed they plow our neighborhood today so we can get outta here.

Yeah for the magical August deal!!!! You are right, even with annual pass and military discount we can get, this one can't be beat. I think/hope we are going to go again at the end of August. Casey starts kindergarten this year, so if we do it we'd likely go the week before labor day., since we have "real" school to contend with. Waiting till after our April trip to decide for sure.

Those snow pictures remind me why I'm happy I no longer live in New England & haven't since 2008.
And they make me wonder why I've never escaped like other smart people ; )

Omg, all of that snow! I can't even handle it. 30 inches is a TON! At least it's enough that's kinda fun (although what a PITA to shovel..) and will maybe get you out of working tomorrow?

Justin and his brother thankfully made it safely back - I think they were about an hour ahead of the storm. His brother ended up needing to fly to Connecticut for work so he drove back with Justin and flew out of Cleveland (where he used to live & where Justin's parents live) rather than stay in Richmond and fly from there.

I hope you had enough beer and wine to get you through!! ;)
Yep, we are all home today. No work or school for us. And PITA is an understatement on the shoveling. Though we have a snow blower too, so that helps. Alcohol provisions were well stocked so we're still in good share ; )

So glad Justin and your brother in law made it back safely. Not the Virginia welcome I'd sure they were imagining.

First time commenting - but I love all your dining reviews! They give much inspiration. The Bloody Mary..w/wasabi - and that margarita!

I feel you on the snow this weekend...we live in NYC...almost 27 inches - of course we do not have to shovel and looking at your view - I must say I am thankful for that.

Unlike your little one - mine actually did not like the snow and now is saying she can't go to school tomorrow - because she can't walk in that snow again!!! Mommy can we please move to Disney! :sad:
Welcome so glad you are enjoying the reviews. I know I enjoy eating everything. :-)

I can't believe that much snow inside the city. Crazy. Glad you all don't have to shovel. Jason I were lamenting shoveling yesterday and missing our old townhouse with only a little bit of sidewalk and parking spaces to worry about. #SuburbanProblems

Hopefully your daughter is home like ours today. Though on the complete opposite end of the spectrum Casey wanted to hit the snow at 8 am this morning.

We going back to Yak and Yeti for dinner next month. I mentioned the ahi nachos to my husband but he just cringed. He won't touch ahi tuna. But we are determined to try the fried won tons. I'll have to save some room this time. ;)
I got the ahi nachos as my entree, so that is still an option ; ) But as long as you save room for the won tons all will be right with the world.

We stayed at the WL earlier this month and had dinner at Artist Point. We had a complimentary Artisanal Cheeses appetizer, the first time we ever had it. I was surprised how much I enjoyed trying the differences cheeses with their accompaniments. Yum.
Yum indeed. I love cheese plates and especially all the cool pairings they come up with. We had one at Citricos that will be coming up soon and it was delicious.

The poor service and the feeling that we are eating in an airport keeps us away from Kona. The Kona coffee sounds good, though. Do they serve it anywhere else?
That should keep us away too, but their food is so dang good. Jason has already requested it for after his 10K on our next trip.

You can also get the coffee to go at the sushi bar, so that may be an option.

Is there supposed to be a street under all that snow? I hope that you have the day off tomorrow
Yes, somewhere under there is a street. Hopefully we can see it later today. And thankfully, we are indeed home today!!!

Your Poly picks put me right back there! Which is a very good place to be right about now... Your snow, yikes! We have escaped major snow this year, though we are due after last year. Wow, you have a totally new landscape. We do drink, I mean think alike. I also tried the Nieue Rita at the Barefoot Bar. Mine was mostly juice, which I love, but no noticeable alchohol. And keeping up with my 3 year old prohibited me from sampling any others. Love the splash pad!
Yes Poly would in deed be the perfect place to be right now.

Glad you all have escaped the wrath so far. Hope your luck continues.

Yeah for Mama's drinking and thinking alike. Though boo that you couldn't taste the tequila. Mine had just the right amount.

I always enjoy your dining reports! We are going in May and Yak and Yeti is on the top of my list - those nachos for two look AMAZING! I will definitely be trying them.

We are originally from the DC area as well (NoVA born and raised!), but JUST moved to the midwest less than a month ago for my husband's job. All I have to say is Thank God we didn't have to deal with that :scared:. I've been getting pics and constant updates from neighbors, friends and family all weekend and it's just crazy how high that snow got in some places with the snow drifts.

Looking forward to reading more!
Hope you enjoy the nachos as much as we did and don't make the same mistake as me, be sure to save room for some of the cream cheese wontons.

Woohoo, NOVA in the house!!!! Where are you from? I grew up in Burke and have made pit stops in Alexandria, Springfield, Ashburn, and Leesburg and finally now (until we move again) Centreville. Sounds like you made it out at just the right time.
OMG!!!! POG Juice Margarita!!
OMG is right

Oh my! Jiko looks yummy! The lamb and even the vegetarian dish all looked great!

Another place in my must to list! Kona, looks yum, but it really bothers me when service is lacking! Pick it up people!!!

"You know what turkey taste like" :rotfl2:. You kill me kid!

The pulled pork nachos look delish!

Stay safe and warm! We got about 2 feet here....
Definitely give JIko a whirl. It is consistently our favorite signature restaurant (with flying fish being a close second)

Hope you are safe and warm too. This stuff is crazy.

Last edited:
for the first time since I moved from PA to WI, the Pittsburgh area has more snow than we do here in Madison, WI! Crazy! Sorry you weren't spared in DC. :(

We ended up with 27" in east central PA! That is more than enough for the entire winter for me!!
That POG margarita sounds heavenly...along with those nachos? I need to get to the Poly next trip! Love the pool side games, great way to keep a kid AND a husband occupied! :rotfl:

Holy Cow that's a lot of snow!! Casey looks like an excellent helper, about like my grandkids were at that age. :hyper:
We had our 2 snowstorms of the year (at most) and thought 7-9 inches was a lot, although we're in the southern Rockies we have probably 10 snowplows in a small city of over half a million...lots of sand though, but we're paralyzed since most everyone THINKS they can drive in the snow but can't. Our SE part of the state got a foot and a half and then had floods when it started to melt in the usual 60 degree weather.

Still enjoying your dining report!

We had school today in NYC - so off she went. She was better today though and no tears were had - but she def was not playing in the snow at 8am!

The worst part of the snow in the city is walking through the cross walks - they are slushy, slippery mess. Bus stops can be kinda tricky also - but no complaints here.

Hope things get back to normal quickly for you.

Those nachos look great.

Also can I say how happy I was to be stuck at Disney during the blizzard, those three surprise extra days made me hated by all my friends up here. When we got home today at least the streets are plowed and my FIL had dug out a path to the house and the car, which was good since he picked us up from BWI.

Hope you enjoy the nachos as much as we did and don't make the same mistake as me, be sure to save room for some of the cream cheese wontons.

I'm going to make my husband share the nachos with me because I dream of those wontons and they WILL be in my belly at the end of the meal :D

Woohoo, NOVA in the house!!!! Where are you from? I grew up in Burke and have made pit stops in Alexandria, Springfield, Ashburn, and Leesburg and finally now (until we move again) Centreville. Sounds like you made it out at just the right time.

Talk about a small world! Born in Alexandria, grew up in Springfield and moved to Ashburn 10 years ago when my husband and I bought our house! Now I miss home :sad:

I'm jealous of the snow (even though I know it causes lots of problems!) -we just don't get snow here in Australia unless you go up into the mountains and even then it's only for a short time of year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter