A restaurant you weren't expecting much from but were pleasantly surprised

So glad to hear some good experiences at Tony's! Planning on giving it a try this trip, and I've been feeling a tad skeptical.
Such a great thread- love the positive focus!

My first thought is a restaurant that's not there anymore, Captain's Grille. First time there, I liked it so much that I wondered why I hadn't tried it sooner. It became a favorite and I was able to visit a few times before it was replaced by a new restaurant with different menu and theming.

As for restaurants that are currently there, as a few others have said, it would be Jungle Navigation Co. Skipper Canteen. I'd read early menus and thought the food looked too weird and not in a good way, but gave it a chance anyway. It instantly became my favorite in the Magic Kingdom and one of my top favorites overall.

Tutto Italia in Epcot definitely. Our past two trips we have booked this place and both times its the same great service and food. Food is hot and fresh, service was fantastic both times, managers coming around checking to make sure everything is up to par, A/C running perfect temp. Last one is a joke but true in a sense. Was kind of agitated my brother picked this place on a whim for our first trip but it has become a solid staple now and will get picked next trip also.

Glad to hear this. We have an ADR for our trip coming up at the end of the month.

I was pleasantly surprised by Tony’s in May when we took a day trip, it had been “meh” for me at its best in the past, and we only ended up there because it was a little last minute and it was the only TS that worked with our fireworks plan.
I was blown away by it! I had the ravioli with chicken, so good! I was so impressed I booked it for our sept trip and it was great again, I split a pizza with my nephew, it was light years better than it had been.

Kona Cafe. Okay, okay...so it honestly has had an amazing reputation in the past. We had heard that the chef and changed, and were skeptical about trying it again a few weeks back. It was getting ready to rain cats and dogs and we wanted a good spot to enjoy a meal near the MK...so we quick reserved it, and so glad we did. The pot stickers and sticky wings were straight out of Ohanas. Oh, and the Island Style Beef Burgers (yes the burgers) will have us coming back again real soon.

Via Napoli! I'm a pizza snob (grew up in New Haven, live in NYC), and we went here during Food and Wine, mostly because we had a full Epcot day and wanted a chance to sit and rest. I wasn't expecting much but I thought the pizza was delicious! I had the smoked salmon and my friend had the canteloupe and prosciutto and I would totally go back to have her pizza again (mine was good too, but hers!).

I was pleasantly surprised by Tony’s in May when we took a day trip, it had been “meh” for me at its best in the past, and we only ended up there because it was a little last minute and it was the only TS that worked with our fireworks plan.
I was blown away by it! I had the ravioli with chicken, so good! I was so impressed I booked it for our sept trip and it was great again, I split a pizza with my nephew, it was light years better than it had been.
I would love to eat here but I'm so afraid to pull the trigger. It is very beautiful inside.

Via Napoli! I'm a pizza snob (grew up in New Haven, live in NYC), and we went here during Food and Wine, mostly because we had a full Epcot day and wanted a chance to sit and rest. I wasn't expecting much but I thought the pizza was delicious! I had the smoked salmon and my friend had the canteloupe and prosciutto and I would totally go back to have her pizza again (mine was good too, but hers!).

Must be a NY/NJ thing because I'm a pizza snow too. I loved the pizza here and I am not sure why there are many complaints about the pizza. I guess to each there own but for what it worth it was very good. I had the spicy sausage and was blown away with the taste of the crust and sauce. Usually its the crust and sauce I am a pest about. Also the service was great too. Pizza snobs we are lol

Last trip, I was surprised how much I enjoyed The Plaza Restaurant. I booked it because I wanted to avoid the hectic quick service locations for lunch. The food is basic, but good. The view of the castle and service...outstanding! The white sangria with peaches and raspberries was so delicious. And it's so quaint and relaxing. I will definitely go back there next trip!

I'm also on The Wave bandwagon. This restaurant gets overshadowed by the other two in The Contemporary (Chef Mickey's and California Grill).

We went in for breakfast one random morning, with really zero expectations. We left feeling really happy (and really full). The price is great, the food is delicious! It became a definite Top 5 at WDW.

Last trip, I was surprised how much I enjoyed The Plaza Restaurant. I booked it because I wanted to avoid the hectic quick service locations for lunch. The food is basic, but good. The view of the castle and service...outstanding! The white sangria with peaches and raspberries was so delicious. And it's so quaint and relaxing. I will definitely go back there next trip!

This reminds me of how every restaurant can show up in both the pleasant surprise and disappointing side for different people. The Plaza is one I'd been waiting for for years, but when I went there, I was so disappointed. The chicken in the salad was dry, and I really don't think there was any salad dressing. But in all honesty, the chef may have deliberately left the dressing off. I'd asked for low salt, but when the chef came out to discuss it, he had such a heavy accent, and no doubt I did to him, that he may have said that I would't have dressing.

This reminds me of how every restaurant can show up in both the pleasant surprise and disappointing side for different people. The Plaza is one I'd been waiting for for years, but when I went there, I was so disappointed. The chicken in the salad was dry, and I really don't think there was any salad dressing. But in all honesty, the chef may have deliberately left the dressing off. I'd asked for low salt, but when the chef came out to discuss it, he had such a heavy accent, and no doubt I did to him, that he may have said that I would't have dressing.
I got the fried green tomato sandwich, which was good, but the sangria and the view of the castle have me hooked. It was such an enjoyable experience.

100% The Wave. We stayed at BLT for the first time in July and had a huge group and hadn't made any ADRs in advance. We ended up eating there twice because we loved it so much the first time. We got lucky and had the same amazing waiter both times!

We had several this trip. San Angel Inn was a super surprise sleeper. Service was great, food was good, atmosphere was nice (tables were really close together but we got an end table so that helped), the only ding was that for a Mexican restaurant, the margaritas were not good, way too sweet and the famous avocado marg was like a tasteless smoothie.

Which leads me to our second sleeper, Coral Reef. Their margarita was one of the best ever had, and we live in Texas! Food was for the most part really good (loved the shrimp and grits, calamari and Mahi were both ok for being at Disney World). Atmosphere was calming and nice. The last time I was there it was stinky and crowded, but had none of those issues this time.

Lastly was my absolute favorite this trip, and I really didn't want to eat there for lunch (I thought it would be too heavy) was Tiffins! Food was super good, service was amazing and the wine was stellar. Loved the space and actually enjoyed some drinks and more food in the lounge later in our trip. The lounge is a great place to get away and forget you are at an amusement park. We did this as part of the Lion King package (got first row seats to the show, a semi private safari tour and appetizer, entree, dessert, wine or beer and a champagne toast, about a half-glass). The absolute highlight of our trip! I really hope they continue this offering as we would happily do it again.

On our last trip, we ate at several QS and TS restaurants that normally receive wonderful reviews (Ohana, Tangierine Cafe, Be Our Guest, Casey’s, The Polite Pig, Satuli Canteen, etc.) However, we decided to try ABC Commissary in HS. This QS doesn’t receive the greatest reviews, but my fiancé and I were surprised how good it was. Yes, it’s just a QS, but it was better than the QS meal we had earlier that day from Woody’s Lunchbox! It’s definitely one that we won’t overlook in the future!

As for restaurants that are currently there, as a few others have said, it would be Jungle Navigation Co. Skipper Canteen. I'd read early menus and thought the food looked too weird and not in a good way, but gave it a chance anyway. It instantly became my favorite in the Magic Kingdom and one of my top favorites overall.
We tried it within the first month it opened, and loved it! At the time, our server was in character too (a la Jungle Cruise).

We tried the Plaza for the first time on our recent trip, and it was truly relaxing and the view of the castle! Wow! We finished all of our meatloaf and pulled pork mac and cheese, too...

Lastly was my absolute favorite this trip, and I really didn't want to eat there for lunch (I thought it would be too heavy) was Tiffins! Food was super good, service was amazing and the wine was stellar. Loved the space and actually enjoyed some drinks and more food in the lounge later in our trip. The lounge is a great place to get away and forget you are at an amusement park.
We are itching to go back to Tiffins - couldn't fit it in this trip, but can't wait for next trip. It is so underrated and so good. One of our top 5 resort-wide.

This trip it was Ohana dinner. Our last two experiences were not good at all and I had no intentions of booking it. This kids kept harping about wanting to go, so I gave in. It was delicious. We waited maybe 15 mins for a reservation which is really good for Ohana and the food was fresh and yummy. When we went in I said to my husband that I wasn't going to be rushed out the door this time, but honestly the waitress didn't try to push us out like the last couple of times. It was very nice.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter