A reminder for anyone who flies...

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS have enough with you for the first 24 hours after your flight.

I did a one day trip yesterday... flew down in the morning and scheduled to fly back that night. 75-90 minute layover each direction.

No issues on the way down. On the way back, the first flight was supposed to leave at 7:25p. Pushback was actually 8:50p. MANY MANY MANY people on that flight were running to connections, and MANY didn't make it (my connecting flight even left 9 minutes early, but it wouldn't have made a difference). Weather was perfect. This was an airline (American, looking at you) issue. They told us before the original flight left that if we don't make our connecting flight, they'd put us up in a hotel (all the connections were the last flights of the night and American wouldn't hold any of them).

Fortunately, I had put an extra pair of underwear, my glasses, saline solution (I wear contacts), toothbrush & toothpaste in my backpack "just in case". One guy I talked to just had swimsuits and T-shirts (returning from Mexico). Another couple had gotten off a cruise, didn't want to wait an hour for their checked luggage, and after getting checked into the hotel (at midnight), was going hunting for toiletries (their flight was rebooked to 7:15 the next morning and it was a 20-30 minute ride to the airport).

I saw a lot of people in the taxi line and at the hotel with no bags at all.

It was so bad, one person in our cab said American told her they had booked all the rooms they could and she'd have to book on her own.

Another tip... if it looks like your connection will be tight, ask at a service desk if they can move your party further forward on the plane (you can look at a seat map online or through the airline app to see if seats are available). Don't worry if they're "pay" seats. I got moved from row 34 (of 35) to row 10 (an "extra comfort" seat) for no charge (normally $35).

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS have enough with you for the first 24 hours after your flight.

I did a one day trip yesterday... flew down in the morning and scheduled to fly back that night. 75-90 minute layover each direction.

No issues on the way down. On the way back, the first flight was supposed to leave at 7:25p. Pushback was actually 8:50p. MANY MANY MANY people on that flight were running to connections, and MANY didn't make it (my connecting flight even left 9 minutes early, but it wouldn't have made a difference). Weather was perfect. This was an airline (American, looking at you) issue. They told us before the original flight left that if we don't make our connecting flight, they'd put us up in a hotel (all the connections were the last flights of the night and American wouldn't hold any of them).

Fortunately, I had put an extra pair of underwear, my glasses, saline solution (I wear contacts), toothbrush & toothpaste in my backpack "just in case". One guy I talked to just had swimsuits and T-shirts (returning from Mexico). Another couple had gotten off a cruise, didn't want to wait an hour for their checked luggage, and after getting checked into the hotel (at midnight), was going hunting for toiletries (their flight was rebooked to 7:15 the next morning and it was a 20-30 minute ride to the airport).

It was so bad, one person in our cab said American told her they had booked all the rooms they could and she'd have to book on her own.

Another tip... if it looks like your connection will be tight, ask at a service desk if they can move your party further forward on the plane (you can look at a seat map online or through the airline app to see if seats are available). Don't worry if they're "pay" seats. I got moved from row 34 (of 35) to row 10 (an "extra comfort" seat) for no charge (normally $35).
Flying tomorrow LHR to MCO, hand luggage only but the whole airport process is for me a horrible part of any holiday. This time BA won’t let us check in online, even though they have verified our COVID docs. I just know that a queue will be waiting for me at the airport. And it’s a 3am start!
Before I retired I once made the mistake of flying in casual clothes, knowing I had time to check in to the hotel and change before a business meeting…, and ofcourse my luggage got lost.

Good point. At least American attempted to book rooms for everyone. Had a missed late night connection in Atlanta once (we circled so long we had to go to Columbia, SC to refuel), Delta did nothing and a lot of people slept in the airport. We got a room and had Chase card trip insurance to reimburse.

Good point. At least American attempted to book rooms for everyone. Had a missed late night connection in Atlanta once (we circled so long we had to go to Columbia, SC to refuel), Delta did nothing and a lot of people slept in the airport. We got a room and had Chase card trip insurance to reimburse.
Guessing your issue was because of weather. Airlines generally won't do much if weather caused the delay/missed connection.

I'll admit I'm disappointed someone at American didn't think it might be better to hold the last flights for say 30 minutes. It would have greatly cut down if not eliminated them paying for hotel rooms (and taxis and meal vouchers).

I asked the FA during the first flight if they'd hold the connecting as was told they'd only hold if 13 passengers or more are going to a specific flight. Heck, my connecting flight only seats 50.

The last flights of the night are often up against the clock for pilots and FAs. If they hold the flight too long waiting for connecting pax no one gets to go anywhere once the crew times out.

I flew to LV last spring and there was an issue where none of the bags made my first flight of the day. Since I had everything I needed for the next day in my backpack I was good. My co-worker who was presenting the next day did not. She flew in sweats and was running through the Forum Shops at Ceasar's to find clothes for the next day, plus getting a contact case and solution from me since I had spares.

The last flights of the night are often up against the clock for pilots and FAs. If they hold the flight too long waiting for connecting pax no one gets to go anywhere once the crew times out.
I considered that, but surely they leave SOME "slop" at the end of a shift. I mean the crew who flew our plane was 90 minutes behind.

I had a crazy flight on American back in the 90s and still have not used them since. I'd reconsider if it saved me more than $10 or $20 but haven't yet had that opportunity and that's fine with me. Still the worst flight experience ever, nothing has even come close since.

This is one reason why I avoid evening flights when possible. They are too often delayed or cancelled. Morning flights are much more reliable.

And yes, of course you should always keep your true necessities in your carryon bag.

Last edited:
Totally agree about having enough essentials in the event of a delay. I only travel with carry on these days because of recent poor experiences.

Do not agree at all about holding flights. Other people are on those planes too, they deserve an on time departure. Maybe they have their own connections to make on the other end.

Just don't check bags. Anyone who travels enough knows that.

Especially don't check bags to MCO, what a disaster of an airport.
Not checking bags at all is not an option for many people & situations.

MCO is no better or worse with bag handling or anything else than any other American airport. Security can take extra time at MCO, but that's because of the high proportion of infrequent family fliers slowing things down.

I think if you are very worried you should do carry on.
We've traveled by air for years to MCO. Our bags arrive fine. We are careful to have well made tags on them just in case.

Do not agree at all about holding flights. Other people are on those planes too, they deserve an on time departure. Maybe they have their own connections to make on the other end.
Again, every flight was the last flight of the night, leaving from a hub. The odds of someone needing to make a connection were very small.

This is one reason why I avoid evening flights when possible. They are too often delayed or cancelled. Morning flights are much more reliable.
Totally depends on the situation. If you want/need more time at your destination, it might make sense to take a late flight than to spend more money on a hotel & meals in order to take a morning flight. Also, one of the people I was talking to before boarding our first flight (scheduled for 7:30P) was returning from Mexico. They were at the Cancun airport at 7am, flew to Orlando, went through customs, then were supposed to fly to Charlotte, then another connection to Buffalo. Three flights in one day about guarantees you're going to be on a late flight.

I know a lot of people are able to pack carry on's well. I'm not. The most I can get in one is 4-5 days worth of summer clothes. If it's cold weather stuff, even less. If I'm staying for 6+ days, I just can't get enough into the carry on. Sure, "do laundry" would be the normal response, but I don't want to take time out of my vacation to do laundry, and if I'm on a work trip, the last thing I want to do after working all day is laundry.

I travel for work. I have to check a bag. It is not possible for me to get everything I need for a 5 day work trip to MCO in a carryon and personal item. In all of my flights going back 35 years I've never had a problem at MCO with not getting my bags. I've had issues with it taking a while or my priority tag getting ignored but I've always gotten my bags within an hour of touchdown. More than I can say at LAS, BNA or ATW.

I've always gotten my bags within an hour of touchdown.

There's nothing in my Disney luggage I'm willing to wait an hour for. Did it once at MCO, and it won't happen again.

Last time I checked a bag it was a ski trip that required stuff. Otherwise, I'm all carry on all the time, and I travel alone with kids plenty.

I travel for work. I have to check a bag. It is not possible for me to get everything I need for a 5 day work trip to MCO in a carryon and personal item. In all of my flights going back 35 years I've never had a problem at MCO with not getting my bags. I've had issues with it taking a while or my priority tag getting ignored but I've always gotten my bags within an hour of touchdown. More than I can say at LAS, BNA or ATW.
Hmm interesting because when my husband travels for work which is frequently enough he never checks a bag. He travels with his carry on and backpack. He was gone a Monday-Friday last month same carry on and backpack. And this was the case even when he was needing business clothes which he still takes one to two for meetings. I have no doubt that different professions have different needs but he's able to get steel toed work boots, hard hat, safety vest, etc without checking a bag.

I would love to travel with carry ons only but as a woman with a lot of hair I need way more than 3 ounces of hair products. I also like my face creams and lotions. And if I’m traveling with my daughter we need double the products. have to check a bag for all of my toiletries.

Holding flights can happen depending on the expected time. Last month SWA held our flight (last flight out) from Vegas to KC for about 20mins or so because the connecting passengers were coming into the other gate that was a long trek. A different situation but not even that long before the gate agent announced for our flight about the holding of the plane another gate agent did because the FA for the flight was in the same situation landing in a different gate that would be a long trek.

That said 30mins is pushing it. The last flight out is going to be your best best on this though. However, as far as crew times..something tells me the OP hasn't been traveling much this year because they are absolutely flying right there on the bubble. Crews have timed out multiple people I know (2 being my DISer friends) where they left the gate and had to turn back around...this year..because the crew times out. Our DISer friends came up from Orlando to KC in July. They boarded an hour late, sat on the tarmac for 2 hours and then the pilot timed out. The flight time to get from Orlando to KC is about 2 hours 45 or so minutes. That means the pilot only had roughly 3 hours and it was used up in Orlando as opposed to flying to KC but he was right there on that line. It has happened before the pandemic (my husband had that happen from Maryland to KC) but it is so much more of a risk right now.

Pilot shortage and crew shortage are primary drivers of this. They are trying to get passengers (of which there are a lot more traveling these days) from point A to point B but up against other delays and issues. I don't agree with it but it is def. happening.

I'm a big proponent of traveling with only carry on luggage whenever possible. It helps in situations just like this one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter