A quick month-by-month look at Disney World cost, crowds, weather, and special events

Thanks for all the info Josh!

Wish I would have known about the crazy pop warner group before I booked our trip! :scared1: We were there the same time in Dec. 08 and I vowed never again. Oh well. You've given me a lot to look over! Thanks! :thumbsup2

If he wants to use the suggestions, he's free to. If he wants to ignore them, that's his prerogative. But to say that it's perfect as-is is doing him a disservice as he's actively looking for opportunities for improvement. Especially when I am able to see things differently than most and offer up suggestions that he (or someone else) wouldn't have thought of in the first place. Critiquing is all about making the object of the criticism better. That was my goal, and that was how I interpreted what he was looking for.

I think those of you who think Cafeen was "glass half empty" totally missed her intent and motive, quoted above. What she actually did was offer -- for free -- a service for which he could have paid someone else hundreds of dollars. She was simply offering some editorial suggestions to make things look and work better. She wasn't deriding his efforts at all but rather trying to enhance and make them even better.

As a former proofreader, I often slipped into editing, which was not my responsibility and my boss had to constantly remind me of that. Every good author has an editor who takes a "fresh eye" to the work and seeks to make it more appealing to the reader. That's all Cafeen was doing.

I worked as an editor and proofreader for several years, and I think the issue is context here. Cafeen's critique is the kind of thing that I would have solicited from/offered to a good friend or close colleague, and found very helpful. Sent to a complete stranger, it was quite a lot of detail, and could easily have an unintended negative effect. I understand that Josh asked for friendly input; I imagine that he meant a line or two of factual content. However, I don't think Cafeen's intentions were in any way mean-spirited. Mostly, it would be sad if such a cool thread was overtaken by this debate. Can we call a truce and focus on the OP?:wizard:

The dates for Osborne Lights have been released. They are November 8, 2010 to January 4, 2011.

Love the month-to-month breakdown you've done.

Josh, I saw your calendars for specific months - do you have one for January 2011? Was hoping to plan a trip in early January which would overlap some Christmas decorations. I did see the Osborne light dates so that is good info. Trying to plan a trip, but scared of the marathon days, and scared of Jan 1-2.

Some time next week probably. I am currently through October 2010 and working on November 2010. I think December will take some extra time because of all the crowds, special events, and hours and whatnot. Unfortunately at the moment I am stuck writing a cease and desist letter to Host Europe because a German website stole this calendar and after I asked them to remove it, deleted the link crediting me for the work.

I'd really like to know how to link to a URL but call it something else. I'm forever posting about a link and I always have to say "click here:" and then I post the link. How do I add a URL but name it something else? (Like you have Cafeen's Corner in your signature.)

If you are talking about posting a link here on the boards.

What you do is type the text you want linked.

Example, if I wanted to link this to the dis menus:

Type...

View Dining Menus

Then hightlight that text w/ your mouse. Go to the top of the input box where you are typing. There is a little icon that is like a globe with a chain link. Click that. It will open a small window. Paste in the web address/url. Then "ok" Voila, your text should now be linked.

OP: Thanks for the great info! I learned why my last day is more than the others, I drifted from Value rate to the 1st holiday rate! Ah well, now I know to check first.

I have very few posts but have read tons of threads on these boards. This effort on the part of the OP is outstanding. :worship: As an ex-editor, I recognize the time and thought that went into the additions and recommendations that have been offered with, I believe, a true spirit of improving the OP's great piece of work.:hippie: In the same spirit, I'd like to add an amendment to the November calendar that all resorts are priced at Regular Season till the 23rd, except Ft. Wilderness CAMPSITES, which are still Value Season until Nov. 19th. I think. Now I'm nervous I have the wrong end date. :rotfl: Thanks for the wonderful new site for me to explore.

I appreciate all of the thought and effort that went into this because it is exactly what I'm looking for when I come to this site. Being from Northern California, the humidity kills us so I'm opting for Spring Break crowds over summer heat. We've tried to do it in the heat, and we just can't! But we have an early Spring Break (week of 3/28) so I remain hopeful that the huge crowds will arrive closer to the actual holiday (4/24). But I will come prepared with a plan so hopefully that will help us battle the crowds. I'm anxiously awaiting any information on March 2011!:yay:

OP- thank you for going to the extreme to share all of this information. This needs to be a standard for all to read before booking their next trip.

And IMHO- you are right on and I wouldn't change a thing with your comment on the groups from Brazil. We were at WDW a few years ago in early February and kept running into a couple of student groups- at least 50 in each group. One time my DD5 was waiting in line to get Tigger's autograph. One girl cut in front of my DD, then motioned for her friends. Before we got to Tigger 8-10 students had jumped in front of us. I said something to the girls, but a couple acted like they couldn't understand me and another was vulgar.

If you are talking about posting a link here on the boards.

What you do is type the text you want linked.

Example, if I wanted to link this to the dis menus:

Type...

View Dining Menus

Then hightlight that text w/ your mouse. Go to the top of the input box where you are typing. There is a little icon that is like a globe with a chain link. Click that. It will open a small window. Paste in the web address/url. Then "ok" Voila, your text should now be linked.

Thanks! That's a great explanation of the process! :goodvibes

Edited to add:

I just did the link thing on another thread - cool! :cool1: Thanks for the instructions!

Cafeen, you misspelled "January's" --
"In the weather section of the intro, add an apostrophe to "Janurarys""

Once a proofreader, always a proofreader. :goodvibes

ETA -- Just glanced through everything, didn't read it all. There are probably some others that I missed, but I just had to razz you about that one.

Try this:
Cafeen, you misspelled "Januarys" --
"In the weather section of the intro, add an apostrophe to 'Januarys'"

Thanks so much for the info! I'm going to print it out and keep it. Hope the negative comments (or work involved :rotfl2:) don't discourage you from doing this every year. It's a real service to the dis community!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter