• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Question for RV owners

princessariel

<font color=CC33CC>I dress my feet by putting on s
<SIZE=3>We just bought our first RV. It's a used one but it's ours!

Now my DH and I have decided we won't get each other the usual Christmas gifts this year but instead we will get things we will need for the RV. Now I'm racking my brain for things to get that we will need and thought I would put this question to some experts. We haven't put a thing in it yet. (Our first trip in it to Ft. Wilderness will be Feb. 2004!!)

So give me some hints please....things we'll need or things you find you use in yours that you can't do without.

THANKS! Karen</SIZE>

I know it is exciting, we just bought our first TT in June and our first trip to FW will be in Dec. 2004.
Some of the first things we put in are:

Flashlights--extra batteries
Matches
Grill--Tinfoil
Toilet Paper
Paper Towels
First Aid Kit
Broom--Dust Pan
Small Vacuum
Dish soap, hand soap
Hand towels, washcloths
Beach towels
Shampoo, beauty supplies etc.
Toothbrush, toothpaste
Paper plates, plastic utensils
Card table and chairs
Tablecloth
Can opener
Lawn chairs
Radio
Clock
Rope
Ladder
Clothes pins
Garbage can, garbage bags
Air fresheners
Bug Spray
Lantern
Cups
Wet wipes
Dog food and dishes
Games
Blankets, pillows
Spices for cooking

Probably others can add even more, but hopefully this will get you going!! I always think of something else so I write it down and add it later for the next trip.

Happy Camping,

Lory

Man things for the RV
Tool chest with all sizes and shapes for rv things.
Hammer, adjustable wrench, strap wrench, screw drivers, socket set.
Nice big washing brush and window squidgy and pail. simple green the only cleaner you'll need (gets rid of those nasty black streaks and mold)
Extra lenghts of water hose and electric cable, adapters 30-50 amp, 30-15 amp, water filter that screws on outside (if you don't have built in ones). Nice camp chair for the fire.

Not really for him but for you as the copilot a book called The Next Exit. Has all services for every exit on every interstate in the us. everything is within a mile. That book was a lifesaver for gas stations for us.
Hope this helps I'll keep thinking

Some sites are not too close to the electrical outlet, the water connection, or the septic so it is good to have an extra long outdoor extension cord to hook up with, a long hose for the water connection, and an extra long hose for black water. It is better to be safe than sorry.
An RV is a wonderful way to travel. We started in a tent, went to a pop-up and now have the motor home.
Have fun with it.

Don't forget the coffee maker (from DH!!)

Everything should be as unbreakable as possible :)

You'll be making wonderful memories! Have fun!

Here are some of the things we put in ours:

travel coffee mugs with lids
plastic tupperware cups with lids (for the kids)
extra dish towels
sheets and pillowcases ((2 sets)
Plastic silverware, plates, etc.
Tablecloth clips
Outdoor lantern

Hope this helps!

Biggest thing I can recommend is to have two of everything. That is, a toothbrush for home, and one for the motorhome, and so on, almost everything mentioned above. Better to have the motorhome ready to go with as little packing as possible. Makes leaving for a trip a whole lot easier.

Garage sales are great for a lot of stuff, toaster, and other small appliances like that. Apartment sized stuff works great too. We just got a small foodsaver for example, it'll live in the motorhome. Big one stays in the kitchen.

The single most valuable item we have invested in are the Tupperware type (Stearlite) stackable drawers from Wal-Mart and others. Using these in different combinations will allow you to use all available space.

Darrel

<SIZE=3>You guys are great! Thanks! I am getting some good ideas for Christmas presents for DH. I never would have thought of some of the things on your lists.

I'll look for "The Next Exit" for sure. I imagine it would be at the bookstore with the travel books. Sounds like a must! Thanks tiggereyore! (my official title is Navigator)

Thanks again everyone! See you at Ft. Wilderness! Karen</SIZE>

I would say the best way to cover all the bases as to what you need is to visit camping world .com and/or campers choice.com they pretty much cover everything you need and then some.

Supercrewzer:wave2:

IS so very important to us when we are on the road....
our first trip with the new RV was in January at FW...ON THE ROAD,
we bought cuddly sleeping bags for the two nights we were travelling...
also, since I am a light sleeper and have always found it difficult to sleep away from home...we brought our best and most comfortable pillows....a soft and mid weight comforter...a good mattress pad for extra snugability........silk eye shades..............................
and if you take naps on the road near trucks...ear plugs are good....
if I still had my blankie and teddy bear...well......
like to get up early ....need my travel alarm.......
so...there ya go...............................spinner
see you in feb...we are trying to get loop900......................

You might want to make sure you have everything you need to change a tire. A good spare, jack, sockets and breaker bar (tire irons work but not as well) flares/reflectors. All of our RV's have been used also, lost a tire on the first one and found that I didn't have the right wrench to drop the spare. I had to call a tow truck and be towed to a shop. A good roadside assistance plan can be a lifesaver. I would also carry a few blocks of wood to asisst with leveling you RV. Good luck and Have FUN !!!!

Want a great place to find things for your camper? Hit your local Dollar Store. To cut down on waste, we purchased tableware, plates, cups, bowls and cooking utensils from the dollar store, along with bungee cords, games for the kids, etc. Go into the store with the mindset "I am looking for things for the camper" and you will find lots of things to buy, cheap.

Jerry Smith
Mechanicsburg, PA
2002 Jayco Kiwi 23B
2001 Ford F150 SuperCrew XLT 5.4l V8
2001 Ford Explorer XLT AWD 5.0l V8
See our Kiwi @ http://www.geocities.com/jcjrsmith

Karen,

Congratulations on your recent purchase and hoping you have many trouble free miles!

Many excellent suggestions posted so far and as suggested EMERGENCY ROAD SERVICE is a MUST before you head out. I think that this should be your first purchase because if you do have a problem all that extra stuff is not going to help one bit.
When you get to your destination HAND HELD WALKIES for backing up directions. These little toys can help save the day, prevent the MH from being damaged and MAINTAIN THE PEACE.

We head to FW this Friday for a quick weekend. Going to be a nice COOOOOL weekend.

John

Just wanted to thank you all for the help you have given us. It's nice to know there are so many friendly folks here to answer my questions about the rv way of life. I'll probably be asking more questions in the future. Thanks again!

~~~Karen~~~

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter