• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A question for cooks...

NewJersey

DIS Veteran
Anyone have a good recipe for some type of wine sauce? I want to make chicken, broccoli, rigatoni, red peppers, in some type of wine sauce. I'm new to cooking and don't know if I should just pour a bottle of wine into a pan. :lmao:

Hmmm - Assuming you want to use white? I'd cook your chicken in butter/oil, throw in the red peppers as well, add onions if you want, when the chicken is almost done you can season with garlic, salt pepper, throw in the broccoli then hit the pan with the wine and throw a lid on so the broccoli can steam. NOT a whole bottle - put in maybe a cup or so. Let it steam a bit and taste it to see if you like it. If you need more liquid you can add in some chicken broth or some of the liquid from the boiling rigatoni. If you like just the wine- you can add a bit more.

use a recipe for Coq au vin (Chicken in wine) and substitute your own veggies.

Hmmm - Assuming you want to use white? I'd cook your chicken in butter/oil, throw in the red peppers as well, add onions if you want, when the chicken is almost done you can season with garlic, salt pepper, throw in the broccoli then hit the pan with the wine and throw a lid on so the broccoli can steam. NOT a whole bottle - put in maybe a cup or so. Let it steam a bit and taste it to see if you like it. If you need more liquid you can add in some chicken broth or some of the liquid from the boiling rigatoni. If you like just the wine- you can add a bit more.

That sounds really good (and easy). I appreciate the help. :)

I'm guessing my guests would be drunk from a couple bites if I did the whole bottle. :teeth:

That sounds really good (and easy). I appreciate the help. :)

I'm guessing my guests would be drunk from a couple bites if I did the whole bottle. :teeth:

Well if you're serving your Mom then use a cup or two - if it's a hot guy - throw in a few bottles and say a prayer before you sit to eat:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

All I know is you are supposed to cook with a wine that you would drink on it's own.

Somehow, following that rule, I always run out of wine when it's time to cook.:confused3

Here is what I would do:

To keep your chicken moist, I would lightly flour it (add a few spices to the flour: salt, pepper, garlic, paprika), shake off excess then sautee it in a little olive oil. Remove the chicken and drain on a towel.

Add a bit more olive oil and sautee peppers (Or just use roasted peppers and add them at the end). Set aside.

In the pan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter and 2 crushed cloves of garlic, sautee for a couple minutes and then add 3 - 4 tbs of flour. Mix and cook on low - med for about 5 minutes.

Add:

1 cup chicken broth whisking and stirring constantly. Add 1/2 - 3/4 cup of white wine and juice of half a lemon. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper to taste.

After about 5 -10 minutes, add chicken and peppers to heat through. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parlsey. Serve over linguine or some other type of pasta.

ETA: I just re-read your post. Add the broccoli when you saute the peppers. :)

Red Wine Dijon pan sauce
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup red wine
1 Teaspoon dijon mustard
tbsp butter

put all that in the pan that you fried up your chicken- (without the chicken in it just the leftover stuff)
reduce by about half then add a tbsp. of butter and swirl it around

or
1/4 cup of chicken stock
1/4 cup of white wine
4 plum tomotoes chopped
1 tsp tarragon fresh or half a tsp dried

Little cooking trick that I read about a simple formula
to make a sauce think

1/2 cup of liquid(you can do 2 1/4 cups of different ones or just a half cup of one) This can be broth, orange juice, wine

A Flavoring(the dijon or the tomatoes and tarragon- or any herb you like) TBSP or more depending on your taste(or whatever you want to use as the flavoring- like a bunch of olives garlic thyme and tomatoes. OR a fruit jelly.

1 TBSP of Fat(in the ones above the butter-but it can be olive oil

It really is very easy to make a quick sauce once you get the formula down. Good luck and happy cooking!

Oh and the above can easily be doubled if you8 are coking for more than 3-4.

Well if you're serving your Mom then use a cup or two - if it's a hot guy - throw in a few bottles and say a prayer before you sit to eat:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:lmao: It'd be for a hot guy.

All I know is you are supposed to cook with a wine that you would drink on it's own.

Somehow, following that rule, I always run out of wine when it's time to cook.:confused3

::yes:: ::yes:: I have a feeling I might have that problem as well.

Here is what I would do:

To keep your chicken moist, I would lightly flour it (add a few spices to the flour: salt, pepper, garlic, paprika), shake off excess then sautee it in a little olive oil. Remove the chicken and drain on a towel.

Add a bit more olive oil and sautee peppers (Or just use roasted peppers and add them at the end). Set aside.

In the pan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter and 2 crushed cloves of garlic, sautee for a couple minutes and then add 3 - 4 tbs of flour. Mix and cook on low - med for about 5 minutes.

Add:

1 cup chicken broth whisking and stirring constantly. Add 1/2 - 3/4 cup of white wine and juice of half a lemon. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper to taste.

After about 5 -10 minutes, add chicken and peppers to heat through. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parlsey. Serve over linguine or some other type of pasta.

ETA: I just re-read your post. Add the broccoli when you saute the peppers. :)

Okay, I think I'm going to try that recipe tonight. I might be tipsy halfway through cooking it, but at least the first half will be done according to the recipe.

Not really. About the first thing they learned us at culinary school is to use cheap wine to cook. Our teacher has worked in some great restaurants all around Belgium, so I guess he knows what he's talking about! :)

:
Okay, I think I'm going to try that recipe tonight. I might be tipsy halfway through cooking it, but at least the first half will be done according to the recipe.

Tipsy is fine...everything will taste better that way. Just remember to taste the sauce and add spices if needed. Ya know what would be awesome in this? Spinach...not sure if you like that though.

Have fun! I'll be drinking some Peach Sangria along with ya! :thumbsup2

Oh, another tip. Make sure to salt the pasta cooking water. I usually add about 5 tbs per # of pasta. Also, reserve some of the pasta cooking water in case you need it (I usually set about a cup aside)...you would need it if there is not enough sauce, etc.

DAmg, y'all are making me hungry. I LOVE to cook with wine. But I usually buy extra so there's enough for the cook.

I make an awesome mushrooms sauteed with Merlot and butter and shallots. My family loves it. It's also good with dry sherry.

Wine has lots of good things about it... I mean, think of the religious connotations. I wouldn't be surprised if we all get wine after the rapture.

Wine has lots of good things about it... I mean, think of the religious connotations. I wouldn't be surprised if we all get wine after the rapture.

Well - Jesus turned the water into wine. I wonder if he could do the same thing with Kool-Aid?

Oh, Good Lord, I hope that's true!:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter